Other Fan Fiction ❯ Reprise ❯ Castle Panic ( Chapter 36 )

[ A - All Readers ]

CHAPTER 36: Castle Panic

"Is my outrage apparent? Is it getting through to you?" Ansel yelled. He paced back and forth in front of the crackling fireplace. His five top lieutenants sat on the couch, a comfortable place for getting chewed out.

"Sir, they knew the castle better than us. They've lived here all their lives," said Erlend, the eldest. He had handlebar mustache and bushy white eyebrows.

"That's no excuse, Erlend," Ansel snapped. "Two girls snuck in and took our most valuable prisoner. If not for one slip-up they would have escaped without difficulty."

"We've had to staff the jail with our own men, who are spread thin as it is. We can't trust anyone from Arendelle. They won't help imprison their neighbors."

"The prison is the most important room in the castle," Ansel said. "Think of the information we've lost. And what they've gained."

"They were right in front of you too, sir," said Officer Ingrid. "They were in the same room, serving your food, and you didn't notice them."

Ansel clenched his fist, ready to slap his lieutenant. But stopped himself.

"I think we're missing the more important thing here," the youngest of them said. "The ice queen is back. And she wants the castle."

"Honestly, Lucia, she's not as much of a worry as you think." Ansel dismissed her argument with his hand. "I've been preparing for her return since day one. Plus, her behavior's become irrational. Maniacal, even."

"I'm not sure that's to our advantage," said Erlend. "If a mad dog fights a sane dog, it's the sane dog who gets its ear bitten off."

"A wise maxim. But allow me to counter with another--power corrupts. And absolute power corrupts absolutely. Humans weren't meant to have magic such as hers. I knew there would come a day where it would degrade her mind. Not to mention an individual can't contend with a well-trained army. But the resistance... they are many."

"And they could be gaining many more," Lucia said, "Maybe that's why they infiltrated the castle."

"Exactly my thoughts. This strike may mean they finally feel confident enough to engage us. At least in the cowardly way that terrorists do," Ansel said. "Which is why we need to find out who's helping them. No rebellion succeeds unto themselves. They need companions in the town. Those that can supply food, shelter, resources. Smugglers and sympathetic ears."

"I'm sure there's no shortage of them," Erlend said.

Ansel pounded one fist into his hand. "And thus we must bear down harder. Enact a curfew. Order our soldiers to patrol the streets day and night, so that our presence is known."

"We already have police monitoring the town."

"Double it," Ansel said. "And start demonstrations. Show them what happens when we are defied. Do you understand my meaning?"

The lieutenants nodded.

"If we need more soldiers, get them from Corona. Send them a message. Tell them it's a lot worse here than we thought. We'll need more than just navy. And close out the harbor. No one comes in and out without a thorough inspection."

"Are we looking for contraband or refugees?" Lucia asked.

"Both," Ansel answered. "We'll need to register everyone in town. Fetch the latest census and cross-reference it. I want to know the names and dwellings of everyone within the kingdom."

Lucia raised her hand. "Sir, this is a lot for the citizens to handle. I thought we wanted to make our integration unobtrusive. To get them used to the new regime."

"I'm not letting everything fall into disorder because of a handful of idealistic doves. We have to strike before they gain too much momentum to fail. I want action. Do you understand? If the resistance is not destroyed within a week, I will find others who can."

The lieutenants remained silent as the firelight danced in Ansel's eyes. In the awkward pause, discordant, muffled commotion rose up.

"Does anyone else hear that?" Lucia asked.

Ansel cocked his head to the side. Music? A gathering crowd?

"Sounds like it's coming from the west wing," Erlend said.

Ansel left the parlor and headed that direction. His lieutenants followed, not daring to move faster.

He climbed up the steps to the westmost tower. There stood a guard in a cabasset looked through the window with a telescope. He handed it to Ansel when he came up the spiral staircase.

"My god, they've started," Ansel said.

A large assemblage of people roamed around on the grassy bluff next to the water. To Ansel's eyes, it seemed half the kingdom. Many toted food, tables, musical instruments, as if they were planning to stay a while.

"They've been gathering over the past few hours, sir," the guard said.

Ansel handed back the telescope. "Well, call it in! Don't you know a riot when you see one?"

"But sir, it's... not a riot. None of them have weapons. No one's hurting anyone."

"Dunderheaded fool. How can you not notice the resistance's work? Do you think everyone in the village just magically got together to celebrate right in front of my castle? It's a clear act of defiance."

"Even if that's so," said Erlend, "we can't make them disperse. What excuse do we give if they're not hurting anyone? What kind of demons would we look like then?" The lieutenants murmured agreement. "It would just add more wind to the resistance's sails," Erlend added.

Ansel folded his arms. "You're right. Let them have their fun. But send our military police to monitor. Take positions on all sides. But under no circumstances are they to attack anyone or provoke an attack."

"I'll send the order for our city foreman to pull troops from other posts and redirect them," said Erlend.

"Good... no, wait, no! That's what she wants us to do." He turned to the window. "Clever try, Elsa. But I'm smarter than you think."

"Sir?" Lucia asked.

"They want us to divert our troops from the city. We send them all to one place and thin the herd elsewhere, letting them do... whatever it is they plan to do. Either a raid or surprise attack on our boats or an escape. Pull guards from the castle instead. Only use one quarter of the soldiers in the village. The rest should be from the palace. Make sure they know not to act, just react."

Erlend left to send out the order. Ansel did not take the telescope from his eyes for hours, not until his men arrived.

They filed in, taking positions around the encampment. Although they held spears and emblem-blazoned tower shields, they stayed relaxed. The citizens didn't appear to care about their presence, except an occasional boo.

"Come on Elsa, I'm waiting."

"Sir, we've been up here for hours. There are other duties to attend to," Lieutenant Viktor said.

"I'm anticipating an attack."

"Won't we be notified when it begins?"

"Hmph." Ansel gave the telescope back to his tower guard.

The lieutenants stepped aside to let Ansel pass down the stairs. Only in the hallway did the emptiness of the castle became noticeable. They never realized how many of the staff were guards. "Are you sure they know they are to be explicit in announcing their presence as protection, not aggression?"

"I did, sir," Erlend said.

"But sir," Lucia said. "Won't they get unruly anyway? They'll gain courage by their numbers. Someone's going to throw a rock or get startled by mistake. And that's going to create a riot."

"I'm counting on it," Ansel said. "But I will tell them I gave orders not to strike unless provoked."

"But you're provoking them."

"It's still not my fault. They'll cause their own undoing. It's a surety. I tell you, I have little guilt doing this. But keep in mind this is an act of defiance. Meant to distract us from-"

There was a guttural thunderclap, as if lightning had struck the wall.

"What was that?" Lucia asked. "Explosion?"

"No smoke or fire."

Another reverberating growl. The dull echo came from the other side of the castle.

"If it was a siege, someone would ring the alarm," Viktor said.

"Maybe there's no one to ring the alarm," Erlend said.

Ansel twisted his mouth. Palace guards were still stationed on all key watchtowers and entry points. Nonetheless, he was concerned enough to start heading toward the east wall.

The soldiers on the east parapet--those that hadn't been ordered down to the city--marched back and forth. Walking kept them awake and eyes sharp. However, they could have been sleeping and still heard the tremendous crash against the wall below.

By the time they reached the site, whatever had made the noise had gone. There was no smoking mark of a cannon ball or explosive powder. Just rocks and water below.

In the distance, they heard a sharp twang. A boulder flew out of the streets, streaking toward them like a meteor. It banged against the wall, peeled off and plummeted.

"Rocks?" a guard said.

"Must be the resistance," his partner said.

"Idiots. They'll never penetrate the castle that way."

"Still an attack. We've got to sound the alarm."

The first guard spent a moment untying the bugle from his belt. Another boulder launched, this one sailing right for them. They were about to step out of the way when the rock grew arms and legs.

"Banzai!" it yelled.

The guards froze in surprise. The boulder-man thrust his feet out, and they both careened over the parapet.

Suddenly, dozens of boulders sailed out from the village mass. Mid-flight they turned into little troll men in clothes of moss. Some passed into the castle. Some rolled onto the parapet.

One landed, rolled in a tight circle, and sprang upright in front of the second guard. He readied his spear.

"Hiyaaa!" The guard thrust forward, aiming for the monster's gut. The troll stood there as the metal tip glanced off, bending to a forty-five degree angle.

The guard examined it. He turned back to the troll.

It was slightly smiling, humming a little. Then gnashed its teeth and crooked its fingers. "Rawr!"

The second guard yipped and fell off the parapet, landing on top of the first guard. The troll jumped down with them, and motioned for his companions to follow.

By this time, the commotion had alerted soldiers on the other walls. They stopped when they saw the rocks flying. Some smacked against the upper wall and slid into the castle. One fell short and landed on the parapet. It spun in place and stood up, holding something behind its back.

The two pikemen raised their spears. "The trolls from the valley. It's an invasion."

"Don't let them through," the other called.

The troll brought out the thing behind his back. It was a cake, with pink frosting.

"What th'?"

"Happy birthday," the troll said.

The guards stood confused. The troll tossed the cake at them--a friendly lob as if handing it off to hold. The guard caught it with both hands, dropping his spear. Before they could ask what was going on, the troll scampered away.

"What is-"

Tiny snowmen, no more than a foot high, climbed over the top of the wall. There seemed to be no end to them. They poured in like rats escaping a flood--and jumped on the guard with the cake.

"Aiyee!" The cake flew from his hand. Half landed on the guard beside him.

"Uh-oh."

That was all he got out before the little snowmen scaled him too.

At the east wing's outer wall, Ansel set eyes on the second floor parapet, preparing to ascend. A boulder crashed through the first floor window. Stained glass rained like confetti.

The boulder rolled another foot, then stopped dead.

"Come on, guys. More cake in here!" the troll said.

Dozens of little snowmen gushed through the open window like popped corn. They spread out, looking awestruck with their beady eyes and goofy smiles

"The snow queen," Erlend gasped in a whisper.

The snowmen scurried over tables, knocked over armor, chewed on rugs, whatever mayhem they could cause. Ansel was speechless.

"We don't have enough men for this," Lucia shouted.

Erlend turned back to Ansel. "Sir, I suggest we fall back to the throne room."

"Yes... yes, I agree." Ansel regained himself. "We prepared for this. The instruments we need are there. To defeat the snow queen."

"Aye, sir," Erlend said. "Take formation."

He drew out his rapier, followed in unison by the others. Ansel's defenders formed a diamond around him. Erlend grabbed the signal horn off one of the fallen guards and put it to his lips. An echoing blast filled the castle.

"That's our cue," Anna said. If the town square wasn't so empty, they might not have heard it. But here, facing the straightest, most direct route to the castle, it was quite clear.

"Everybody ready?" Kristoff jostled the reins. Elsa, Anna, and Flynn nodded solemnly (with Olaf squeezed in-between their legs). In the front seat, Ariel leveled her trident. Rapunzel held her frying pan to her chest, ready to swing.

"Hit it!" Rapunzel called.

Kristoff whipped the reins. "Yahh!"

Sven launched forward, straining against the harness. The heavy sled dragged forward, building momentum. Once the reindeer had his grip, Elsa stood up in the sleigh. She aimed her hand at the road.

A spray of ice emitted, coating the cobblestones before them. The smooth, slick path eased Sven's burden and soon they were driving like an avalanche.

"All right, Elsa!" Anna said. "This is the best sled course yet, eh?"

Elsa ignored her.

"There they are!" someone shouted.

Elsa whipped her head around. Patrols were racing horses behind them, readying crossbows.

"Fools. Don't they know the power they're dealing with?"

With her other hand, Elsa flicked her wrist. A barricade of blue icicles sprang up between them and their pursuers. One barely managed to turn his horse before being impaled.

"Almost to the bridge," Kristoff called out over Sven's hoof beats.

The gates wrenched off their hinges hadn't been repaired, but new guards stood watch in the gatehouse. Those in the towers had already begun loosing arrows. In the back, Anna, Olaf, and Flynn ducked under a blanket. The arrows landed short, embedding in the ice path, and snapped off as the sleigh ran over them.

Ariel aimed her trident. The weapon hummed with energy, then shot a bright beam at the base of one guard tower. The rock crumbled like a sand castle meeting the tide.

Men in the tower shouted as the soldiers underneath scrambled out of the way. Arrows from the second tower narrowly struck Sven's hoof. He whinnied, but kept pace. They dashed under the first tower as it crashed against the second.

Soldiers manning the walkway to the castle saw the sled was not stopping, thanks to the inertia of the ice. Several scattered away. Ones that didn't, Ariel shot at their feet. The resounding blast propelled them into the air in different directions, but out of their way.

But there still remained soldiers holding swords and shields, ready to cut them down as they passed. Two were ready to skewer Sven with their partisans. Ariel took them out their weapons, then ducked as Rapunzel stood up.

"Batter up," she said. The impact of cast iron against sterling brass made an ear-shattering clang.

Behind them, the guards made a half-hearted effort to stand up. The sled was moving too fast to catch them now. Kristoff grinned at the tall double doors ahead.

"Okay, Elsa, slow us down," Kristoff said.

Nothing happened. The steady stream of ice magic continued smoothing out the road.

"Elsa! Stop with the ice," Kristoff said. "Slow down!"

"No," she said.

"Elsa, we need to stop!" Anna said. Elsa ignored her. Kristoff yanked back the reins but it was no use.

The front of the sleigh bumped against Sven's tail. He frantically galloped forward, lest the unstoppable sled crush him. The twin doors loomed closer.

"Elsa! No!" Kristoff closed his eyes and shirked away.

Elsa snapped her wrist. A small ramp grew at the edge of the ice road. The sled launched into the air. Sven bellowed at the sensation of weightlessness. The sleigh began to twist in midair.

At the last second, Ariel blasted her trident. The doors glowed and bowed in just before they made impact.

Splinters of door flew everywhere. The airborne sleigh barrel-rolled, twisting Sven's reins. It bounced once before landing on its side, still sliding across the hall floor, then slammed against the upper floor pavilion upside-down.

Kristoff crawled out. "Buddy? Are you all right?"

He held the reindeer's muzzle in his gloved hands while the others struggled out. Sven's eyes rolled asynchronously. But he was breathing.

"Is he okay?" Anna asked.

Kristoff stood tall in front of Elsa. He slammed his knit cap on the floor. "What the hell was that?"

"It was necessary," Elsa said.

"No, it wasn't. You could have killed him. You could have killed us."

"It's just an animal," Elsa said.

"Just an animal?" Kristoff started forward, as if he were about to fight.

Anna jumped between them. "Guys, we're all okay. No one's hurt."

"We'll talk about it after we overthrow the government," Rapunzel said. The six of them stood together. "We've got a mission and no time to waste."

Elsa said in a low tone, "Six of us against a castle full of guards. Do you think we're all getting out of this alive?"

Rapunzel gave her a look, but said nothing.

Anna pulled at Kristoff's shoulder. "We have to go."

"No, I'm not leaving him."

"I can stay with him!" Olaf shouted. "We'll have lots of fun. We can play cards. And I'll keep him safe."

Anna took Kristoff by the hand and pulled him away.

Rapunzel and Ariel took the lead, heading into the center hall. Flynn and Anna took the middle. They paused at each junction to look for patrols.

The castle was nearly empty. Halfway through and they'd been able to avoid everyone. Rapunzel dashed around corners while Ariel covered her with the trident.

"Look!" Rapunzel pointed.

Someone was sprinting away through one of the castle's arches. Even in the brief glimpse, she knew Ansel's blue uniform and distinctive shoulder pads.

"There he is!" Anna shouted. She started to run after him.

Ariel barred her with her arm. "No. We can cut him off through the servant's quarters."

She turned a right angle and ran parallel to Ansel's path.

"Where's he going? He's heading further into the castle," Flynn said.

"I bet he's heading to the throne room. It's the innermost room, the heart of the palace," Ariel said.

"Why? That's no place to make a stand--he'd be trapped there," Rapunzel said.

"Unless he knows something we don't," Kristoff said.

Ariel shrugged. "Either way, we need to stop him before he gets there."

They flew through the empty service rooms and bounded into the castle's main hallway. Though wide enough for a carriage to plow through, it appeared to be empty.

"Behind you!" Anna shouted.

Two guards were heading toward them. Ariel dropped to one knee and fired at the furthest guard. He flew back against the wall, armor clanking.

The other reached for his sword as he ran. Rapunzel stutter-stepped and bashed him in the head. His helmet spun with an echoing clang. The guard stumbled as if he'd lost his footing, then fell unconscious.

Anna pointed her finger. Everyone turned.

Ansel careened around a corner, then halted. His five lieutenants also skidded to a stop.

"So here we are." Ansel scowled.

"Ansel. This is your last chance," Rapunzel said.

"You have a lot of confidence. Me and my most elite against... whoever you managed to scrape from the gutter."

"Hey, I'm technically a prince now." Flynn pointed to himself with his dagger.

Ansel withdrew his sword. "It's time to end this."

"Ansel of Corona." Elsa pushed ahead of everyone. "You have no power that can compare to mine. And this time there will be no forgiveness for you. Only escape. Either through exile or death. Take heed-"

A ping sounded in the corridor as Elsa's head knocked back. A small trickle of blood ran down her head.

The smallest female soldier held out a slingshot, sling dangling, eyes still on her target.

Elsa staggered to the side. She caught herself, then her eyes rolled up and she fell over, unconscious.

"Ariel, look out!"

One of the officers, an old man with a handlebar mustache, unleashed a whip. It coiled around the trident. He yanked it out of her hands so hard it flew to the ceiling and landed between them. The man dragged it closer.

Ariel ran for it.

Ansel's soldiers ran for her.

Both sides rushed towards each other.

Ariel dove to the carpet, but missed by her fingertips.

Flynn rolled forward. He grabbed the whip and readied to slice it with his dagger. But another soldier kicked him in the face, knocking him away.

"Good one, Lucia. Morten, protect Erlend. Ingrid and Viktor, to the fray."

Flynn rubbed his jaw as he glared at Lucia. Lucia withdrew her sword. The two of them clashed chest to chest, their blades vibrating with tension. Lucia pushed him off and swiped at his head. Flynn ducked. They engaged in a fencing duel--sword versus dagger.

"Get away from him!" Rapunzel ran forward, frying pan held high. She was suddenly yanked back.

Morten held a mittful of blond hair wrapped around his fingers, a sadistic grin on his face.

"Hey, bad form," Flynn said, glancing over while holding his dagger defensively.

Rapunzel got on hands and knees to stand up. Morten yanked again, then laughed at her humiliation.

Rapunzel glowered. She heaved her head forward. What Morten didn't know was how strong her neck muscles were from carrying ten pounds of hair for twenty years. His barrel body carried his momentum toward her.

As Rapunzel stood up, she clocked him under the chin. He shook it off, then withdrew his own military issue saber.

Rapunzel backed up to Flynn, parrying and thrusting with her pan.

"The couple that fights together..." Flynn said.

"Stays alive together?" Rapunzel replied.

With the gap that opened up in the fray, Anna ran to her sister and collapsed by her side. She wiped the blood off her face. "Elsa? Elsa, wake up. We could use your help right now. Psycho or not."

Anna's head darted back and forth, looking out for anyone coming her way. She held her hand to her trembling mouth, silently praying for her friends.

Ariel engaged in a tug-of-war with Erlend for the trident. She held the end with the three tines. It allowed a superior grip, but she had to be careful not to stab herself with her own weapon. Nor could she shoot it.

"What is this thing? Why do you desire it so?" Erlend asked.

Ariel wrenched as hard as she could. He was just trying to distract her, to throw her off balance. She wouldn't allow it.

"Why does a girl as slight as you use this weapon? You'd be better off with a bow or a short sword."

Through gritted teeth, she uttered, "When you rule the ocean, you can use whatever weapon you want."

She punctuated the last word with a sharp torque. The trident flew out of both their hands and clattered against the wall. They both sprang for it, but Kristoff crossed in front of them. He was retreating from Ingrid and Viktor.

"Two against one. Not fair!" Kristoff said.

He backed into a suit of armor, collapsing it and himself to the floor. Kristoff threw the disassembled pieces of costume at them.

Viktor and Ingrid snickered. They drew forward, swords pointed at Kristoff.

Ariel turned back to Erlend. He was going for the trident. She had a split second decision to make. And she made it.

She picked up the thrown helmet and jammed it backwards onto Ingrid's head. Ariel pulled out her legs. Ingrid crashed to the floor, knocking herself out with the helmet impact.

Viktor turned and swung. Ariel leaned and rolled onto her back. The sword sliced horizontally into open air.

Ariel kicked her powerful legs into his gut. Leather armor or not, the wind was knocked out of him. He staggered back and fell on Kristoff.

Kristoff wrapped his meaty arm around Viktor's neck and locked it with the other. Viktor gurgled, his tongue hanging out, as the sleeper hold took effect. In a few seconds, he fell limp as a noodle.

"Whoa," Ariel said.

"I grew up with boulders for siblings. I learned a few tricks." Kristoff pointed behind her. "Watch out!"

Erlend held up the trident. "So let's see how this works, hm?" The trident began to hum.

Though only the king of the seas could use its full power, anyone could shoot lightning. Ariel flashed back to all the times others had used the trident or tried to steal it.

She squinched her eyes shut and prepared for the hit. As the hum reached crescendo, she had one last ironic thought: now she'd know what being blasted felt like.

"Er-erg-erg-erg-erg-erg-erg-erg..." Erlend vibrated as tendrils of golden electricity danced over his body. He stiffened, unable to release the trident.

The power stopped. Erlend fell into a heap. The trident clattered on the ground.

Ariel snatched it up before anyone else had a chance to. "Thanks, Daddy," she whispered.

Ansel skirted around the slicing swords, heading towards the door. Everyone was too engaged in battle to notice what he was up to. Everyone except Anna, who stood up as he sprinted past.

"Hey," she shouted.

Elsa stirred. "Ow... what happened?" She gritted her teeth. "That troll knocked me out again."

"No, it was one of Ansel's soldiers. He-"

"Ansel," she murmured. She stood as if she had never fallen. "Where is he? Where did..."

"He went that way." Anna pointed to the door, where a leg just vanished from the frame.

Elsa growled. "No. You will not get away, Ansel. Not EVER."

All the warmth in the air disappeared, sucked out. A thick white frost spread from the point where Elsa's feet touched the floor, spreading wall-to-wall. The castle walls blanched.

"What is-?" Morten asked.

The ice grew like vines, coating the hall from top to bottom. It crackled as it sprawled under Morten's boots. He tried to step away, but they became stuck fast. The same thing happened to Flynn. Lucia stumbled back and tripped.

The sounds of clashing swords died away. "What's happening?" Kristoff said.

Ingrid lay on her back like a turtle, held by her helmet and tunic. Rapunzel stayed bent at an awkward angle, her hair glued to the ground.

"This is the ice queen's doing," Lucia said. "She's taking back her castle."

"I can't... I can't get myself free," Flynn said. He couldn't even untie his shoelaces. "Elsa? Elsa!"

She was gone.

"Ariel, can you use the trident?" Rapunzel asked, forced to lean back and look at the ceiling.

Though in an awkward position, Ariel jabbed the tines into the ice chunks around her feet. "I don't have much choice."