Other Fan Fiction ❯ The Lion King 4: A Single Step ❯ Friendship ( Chapter 9 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Sorry about the lack of upload. : ( Stick with me.
Last time: The young lions of the pride found an "intruder" named Tempest and took her to the King. She was accepted into the pride because she was lost and injured.
Chapter 9: Friendship
The lionesses were slowly getting used to the new arrival, Tempest. Several, however seemed to avoid her simply because they noticed she was rather prickly. Kivu figured that it was only because she was lost and scared. He regretted being so rude to her before.
"I'm going to go apologize to her," Kivu said to his friends.
"Why?" Ciara asked bluntly.
"Well, I was pretty rude." He flicked his tail in embarrassment.
"So was she! And you were just doing your job." Ciara protested.
"Well then, I want to." He said, "You all coming?"
Jai and Mani stood and followed Kivu, while Tali and Ciara decided to stay put. They had all been relaxing in a warm patch of sun.
The three boys found Tempest laying underneath a tree, its shade darkening her light pelt. She appeared to be resting, but as the lions approached, she sat up, causing her bangs to fall in her face.
"Hi, Tempest." Kivu said cheerfully. The light lioness gave them a glare as a reply. "We just came to chat," he continued. "And I wanted to apologize. I didn't mean to be rude when we first met."
"Oh." Tempest seemed not to be expecting an apology. When Tempest didn't say anything more, Kivu bravely laid down and his friends followed suit. When lions lay together, it shows a sign of friendship. When Kivu did this, he was silently offering his friendship. Kivu didn't know how the prickly young lioness would take this; she could very well hiss and spit and tell them to go away. But after a moment, Tempest relaxed and washed her paw, silently offering her friendship in return.
"It's Kivu right?" she asked. Then added with a mocking tone, "The Prince of the Pridelands."
Kivu chuckled, never to be offended, "Yeah."
"Isn't is hard to know you'll be King someday?" Tempest asked with narrowed eyes.
"Jai asked me something like that once." Kivu said while glancing at his light pelted friend. Jai smiled awkwardly.
"Is that so?" she said looking at Jai also. "Jai," Then she turned to Mani. "And you're Mani, right?"
"Yes that's right." he replied with a smile. She didn't return it, continuing to wash her forearm.
"So Tempest." Jai said, "Had you had your hunting test before you separated with your pride?"
"Hunting test?" Tempest looked confused.
"Yeah, young lionesses are tested in hunting. They go out on their own and are expected to bring in a kill. If they pass, they are allowed to join the hunting parties from then on."
"Oh..well we do things differently, I guess. I'm not old enough to hunt anyway."
Jai looked confused this time. "How could you not have a hunting test in your pride?"
Tempest shrugged, "Everyone hunts when they want to, we don't need to be tested."
"My sister, Tali is going to have her hunting test soon." Mani said.
"Tali is the brown one? I see the resemblance now." she said looking at Mani's ears. He flicked them in embarrassment, knowing she was looking at the dark spot on each ear. Tali had the same dark spots. Mani noticed she was very observant if she had noticed that within the short time they'd known each other.
"And your sister is Ciara?" Tempest turned to Jai. Jai nodded.
"You're good at remembering names." Mani commented.
Tempest shrugged. "My siblings and I were always taught to be observant and good listeners."
"How many siblings?" Kivu asked.
"I have one brother and two sisters. I'm the oldest. Koru is the next oldest, just leaving cub hood." she smiled fondly. "Then Jayden and Dayya are twins. They are still young cubs."
"Were you close to them?" Jai asked.
Tempest smiled again. "Yes. They were always so fun. Koru and I would always mess with the younger kids, and they always thought we were only joking. We didn't care if we got in trouble." Tempest laughed a little. "We'd always have so much fun playing, rolling and biting. And they always looked up to me and Koru. I secretly always looked up to Koru even though I was older. He just had a way of acting mature and calm in difficult situations," She broke off.
Everyone was silent for a moment, until Mani said, "You must miss them."
Tempest's smile vanished, and she looked at her paws. Her bangs covered her eyes. When she didn't say anything, Kivu said softly,
"You didn't really run away did you? Is it true that you actually just got lost..?" Kivu thought she might be angry for a moment, but she just continued to stare at her paws, blinking rapidly. Kivu realized how young she actually was. At this such an age of young adolescence, she shouldn't be away from her mother's comfort. Kivu felt a stab of pity in his chest.
"I think you would want to go back to a great family like that." Kivu said gently. "I know I would."
"Maybe we can help you find your family." Mani said, "I'm sure they're looking for you too." Seeing the look on Tempest's face hurt Mani's heart. He didn't like seeing her sad.
Tempest looked up at him with a kind glance. Mani was relieved she wasn't angry. "Thank you." she breathed quietly.
It didn't take long for the conversation to stray to a nicer, happier topic. Soon they were talking about pride customs.
"So you two are going to leave the pride soon right?" she said gesturing at Jai and Mani.
The two boys looked at each other in confusion.
"We're not leaving." Jai said, confused.
"You're not? My father said that males about your age are kicked out of the pride, I suppose execpt royalty." she gestured at Kivu with her tail.
"Really?" Mani asked.
Tempest nodded. "That's what our pride does. The males go off and join another pride or start their own. We've already had a couple in our pride do that. I wasn't sad to see them go, that's for sure." She said with a small hiss.
Jai looked nervously at Kivu, "You don't think your dad's gonna kick us out do you?"
"No he wont." Kivu said confidently. "My dad told me about that, how many prides have that tradition. He says the Pridelands have always allowed lions to stay in the pride. But he said when I'm king, I can choose to keep it the way it is now, or I can change the tradition and send males away. But personally, I think with males in the pride, it makes us a lot stronger."
"That's strange to me." Tempest said. "I think it would be more dangerous with so many males in the pride, not more safe."
"We're all so close though " Jai added. "Like a family. We would never hurt each other." The other boys nodded.
"I see." Tempest said.
As the day wore on, the four young lions went back to pride rock to get our of the heat, and take cover in the den. Sometime ago, Ciara and Tali had gone back to Pride Rock also. Ciara noticed when the remainder of their group finally came in. Ciara watched as they came in the cave laughing. Tempest was saying something and gestured largely at Kivu with a swing of her head. The three boys burst into laughter.
A strong frown formed on Ciara's face as she forced herself to look away from Kivu's reaction. As he parted with the others and approached Ciara, he called over his shoulder, "I'll get you back for that one later, Temp!"
"We'll see about that!" she smirked, and followed Mani and Jai as they led her to some fresh-kill that was brought in for dinner.
Kivu chuckled, then turned to Ciara and Tali, who had already had their share of the prey. "Hey Ciara." he greeted warmly, then noticed she was purposely looking away. "What's wrong?"
"Nothing." She said sourly.
Kivu glanced at Tali, and the older adolescent shrugged, although she had an idea of what was going through Ciara's head.
"You should have come with us." Kivu said after a moment. "Tempest is really nice once you get to know her."
Ciara showed no reaction, but Tali seemed interested. Kivu went on.
"She told us about her pride and her family. She has 3 younger siblings. She really talked about them like she loved them a lot. She almost seemed motherly!" Kivu laughed a little.
"Really?" Tali said. "Well, We'll just have to get to know her on my own time. Don't you agree Ciara?"
Ciara made an arrogant 'humph' noise in her throat. I don't want to get to know that girl. Not worth it.
Ciara didn't like the thought of Tempest being around. Something about her made Ciara angry, though she couldn't place what it was. Suddenly she got an idea. She quickly stood up.
"Kivu can I talk to you for a second?" She led the way outside the den where no one could listen. She turned to face Kivu.
"I don't trust Tempest." She said bluntly.
"Why not?" Kivu seemed genuinely confused.
"She just shows up out of no where, and comes to live with our pride!"
"So?"
"And she's rude. She was just laughing at you a minute ago!"
"We were just joking about the first time she saw us." he tried to convince her. "I had mud all over my chest and face, she said she thought I looked like an idiot. We were all just kidding around."
Ciara frowned, looked at her paws in a pout. Kivu looked at her carefully. "Ciara. I'm not interested in Tempest like that. There's no need to be jealous."
"Jealous? HAH!" Ciara said with anger, turned then stormed off returning to the den. Kivu sighed and rolled his eyes.