Other Fan Fiction ❯ The Lion King 4: A Single Step ❯ Cloudy Days Ahead ( Chapter 19 )

[ A - All Readers ]
So I guess they really don't want us to put any author's notes at the beginning or end of any chapter, so there will be no more 'Last time' (the description of what happened in the previous chapter) so you're just going to have to go back and look if you forgot what happened.

Chapter 19: Cloudy Days Ahead
Kivu awoke later in the den. When he opened his eyes, all he could see was the darkness of the cave. He could hear crickets chirping in the night outside, and could hear deep breathing from his Pridemates inside. It took a moment to remember what had happened earlier that night. He could feel stiff pain in his arms and legs from the Spar. He wondered how he got into the cave, and how long he'd been out cold.
Suddenly, a warm body next to Kivu rose it's head. "Go back to sleep, Kivu." Ciara whispered. Her warm pelt felt good on his.
"Ciara... how did I get here?"
"You were carried. No one could wake you when you fainted."
"Oh." Kivu thought with a groggy mind for a moment. "Is my dad okay? The last thing I remember is him hitting the ground pretty hard."
Ciara smiled softly in the dark. "Yeah, he's fine. I'll tell you about it more tomorrow. It's late, everyone's asleep." Ciara put her head back down. Kivu did the same, still feeling exhausted, then went to sleep.

Kivu strolled around the next morning, looking for his father. Kovu had been pretty busy that morning patrolling the border with the former king, Simba. Kivu finally found the two, who were stopped at the edge of the border. As Kivu approached, he saw they were looking at some skat left behind by an animal.
"I can't tell if it's from a lion or some other creature." Kivu hears his father say as he approached. The red maned lion nodded, then said quietly,
"But if it is from a lion..."
"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Kovu said.
Simba nodded again, and was about to continue, but stopped when the young prince came along.
"Kivu, how are you feeling?" Kovu greeted his son. "I must have gone too hard on you yesterday."
"No way, I'm fine." Kivu answered with a smirk. "Only a little sore."
"You did well." Simba commented, and Kovu agreed with a nod. "You really knocked your old man over there at the end." Simba laughed.
Kivu burst into laughter. "Yeah I pushed that old man off me!"
"Come now, Simba, don't encourage him!" Kovu joked. "In all seriousness, Kivu, I'm proud of you. You really knocked the air out of me." Kovu butted Kivu's shoulder with his head in affection. Kivu pushed him away playfully.
"I kicked your tail!"
"Well, close to it. But I didn't get knocked out of me like you did, son." Kovu playfully pushed him back.
"You'll be a good fighter, Kivu." Simba said.
"Thanks, Grandpa Simba. Why weren't you in he spar?"
Simba laughed. "Well let's just say my muscles and bones aren't what they used to be."
Kivu smiled and lashed his tail happily.
"Kivu, come with us to patrol the border." Kovu said, and began walking.
"Sure!" Kivu fell in step beside his father with Simba trailing close behind.

Kanai, Toni, and Queen Kiara were sunning on the large flat rocks near Pride Rock. Because of the clouds that had started to roll in, there hadn't been much sunlight. The lionesses still gathered there by habit.
"Do you think it will finally start to rain?" Toni asked, looking at the sky.
"Any day now." Kanai said.
Kiara put her head dreamily in her paws. She sighed longingly.
"Kiara, are you day dreaming about Kovu again?" Kanai asked with a smirk.
Kiara laughed. "No! I am thinking about my new cub. I'm excited to have him or her."
"Ah.. To have children again." Toni said.
"Can you believe how old the kids are now? Tali and Mani are nearing adulthood." Kanai said with a proud smile that always appeared when she spoke of her cubs.
"And it's nearly time for Ciara to have her hunting test, isn't it, Toni?" Kiara asked the pale yellow lioness.
"Yes, it's coming up."
"It is a time for new children, and time for our first children to grow up. Have you noticed how happy Sanu has been since she met with that passing rogue? Since she's become pregnant, her mood has really lifted." Kanai said.
"I would love to have more kids." Toni said. "I wish Jai were here." Toni lowered her head slightly in sadness as she remembered Ciara and Jai's father, Jai Sr. Toni had no idea where he was. Was he alive or dead? Did he have a new mate? Had he forgotten all about her?
"You must miss him." Kiara said after a moment of silence.
"I do. At least I have his cubs to remember him by. Little Jai resembles him so."
"He'll return one day." Kiara said, optimistically.
"I hope so."

By midday it had become dark. The sky rumbled, ready to give the rain it had been denying the land for so long. All the animals on the plains looked to the sky, waiting for the luscious life-giving water. The doubt had lasted long enough for all the animals of the Pride Lands. The waterhole had been growing thin, and muddy. Grass and trees were beginning to show the effects of the lack of rain. It was time.
The rain started off slow. Soft pitter-patters of rain drops fell calmly for about a minute. As the rain hit the Earth, the sound it made was like a giant sigh of relief. The Pride Land lions growled in delight for the blessing of the rain.
Suddenly, the rain came harder, in thick sheets of water. Some lions began retreating to the safety of the den. The den was large enough to fit the entire pride inside, however, some lionesses still enjoyed being outside. Only if it became dangerous outside, would all lions go in. Kovu took this opportunity to teach Kivu what to do in case of a large storm such as this. Kivu was sent out to go see if the herd animals on the Pride lands were in a safe area. The animals are an important part of the Pride Lands, so they ought to be taken care of.
Since no animals could be seen from Pride Rock, Kivu went out into the hard rain to search for the ones that were further out in the lands.
"Be safe, Kivu!" Kiara called after her son, who leaped from the base of Pride Rock. "Come back within an hour!"
Kivu flicked his tail in acknowledgment as he continued to run out into the rain. Ciara met by Kiara's side.
"Do you think it was dangerous for him to send Kivu?" Ciara asked the Queen.
"No, Kivu is a strong boy." Kiara said, then looked at Ciara with the turn of her head, and smiled slightly.
Soon, Ciara went back into the den , after deciding she had been in the rain for too long. Kiara decided to stay out to watch for her son. Ciara sat by Tali, who was staring with an intense gaze at the sky outside the cave.
"It's just rain, Tali." Ciara teased.
Tali laughed nervously, and swatted her friend. "I know!"
Mani approached, with Tempest following him.
"She's afraid of lighting." Mani smirked.
"Yeah, so? It's scary. Mostly I'm afraid for Kivu..." Tali said.
Ciara's mind jumped as Tali voiced her one fear.

Very Short Chapter, Sorry! Keep hanging in there!














Converting /tmp/phpGEg4wk to /dev/stdout