Other Fan Fiction ❯ Wrong Place, Wrong Time ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Wrong Place, Wrong Time

Chapter 41: The Truth Always Comes Out

"Master Ureksa... Do you know where Master Kouren is?" I guess the only way to find out what's going on is to ask her directly.

"Yes, she went to Seijent to speak to Hayato." Master Ureksa must know I feel uncomfortable with this subject so he hasn't elaborated more than needed. But if I am to untangle all these lies and tie the loose ends into something akin to the truth, I need to know.

It may not be the actual truth that I'm trying to build, but close enough. "I see... I wanted to talk to her; there are some things I don't fully understand."

Let's see how Ureksa replies to that. "To be honest, there are things I don't understand either. Something must have happened that we weren't told about. I was thinking about talking to Sakuro about it while Kouren is away."

Great idea, but how can I face Sakuro? Well I have to face him sometime, and this could be my chance to clear up the awkwardness without Kouren pushing me into spilling out my heart. "We should go talk to him."

Ureksa glances at Rasho, "yes..."

"Got a problem with me?" Of course Rasho just had to say something impulsive.

"Don't worry, Rasho can be trusted. I might have lost contact with him for a long time, but I've known him for years." I hope Rasho doesn't mess up my story. If he does I'm sunk for good.

"Right, nothing to worry about," I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding when Rasho played along.

"Alright then, let's go." We follow Master Ureksa to Master Sakuro's house.

It looked like Master Sakuro was just arriving at his house as we found him at the moment he was entering. "How lucky, I came back just in time for visitors."

At Sakuro's house we attempt to clear things up. I just sit there, listening quietly while Ureksa asks all the questions. I occasionally glance at Rasho, who is just as confused as ever, but by some miracle isn't saying anything.

"You're so stubborn," finally Sakuro gives into Ureksa's insistence. "Alright, I'll tell you the full story. Kouren won't like this..." We all listen, "there are several types of summon beasts that remain in this world even after they should have passed away. Those creatures seek new bodies for various purposes that often include revenge. There are different types of spirits that can be identified depending on what they offer or threaten to do. For example the ones that offer power or money, are generally weak beings who react to a human's greed. Those who offer other things, such as to give someone a lover, feed on people's love energy. Those are more powerful and harder to deal with if it gets out of hand. While the spirits that feed on greed can be defeated by the host, those who feed on love are stronger and thus the host would be helpless against them."

Which means that there's no way for me to deny that I was offered love. They knew, they knew all along and saw through my contradictions. I see now that Sakuro didn't press the issue because he knew it was hard for me, but he realized I was bending and twisting the truth all along. Being a linker, Hayato is a special case and he cannot be permanently possessed, instead being allowed to use his body as a prison for the spirit. Maybe summoners are strong against spirits as well.

I didn't speak, no one did, and Sakuro continued. "Years ago, a spirit powered by love, temporarily possessing a summoner under the full moon, approached Kouren and attempted to trick her into giving him Shintetsu's body. Initially, Kouren agreed but Shintetsu saw through it at the last moment and Kouren confessed the truth and apologized. Shintetsu forgave her and helped capture the being by pretending to drink the portion of its soul. The creature did not bother trying to sense that piece of its soul within Shintetsu and simply trusted what he saw. The being transferred his full soul, using the piece as the target to allow this to happen. But that portion of soul had been frozen inside a crystal that trapped the creature when it transferred itself to it. Shintetsu's apprentice witnessed the entire event." From what I heard, Shintetsu's apprentice was Sakuro.

"It's the same type of creature, that's why Kouren is so upset about this..." Ureksa concludes.

"There's more," once again our attention focuses on Sakuro. "The crystal was kept in a safe place for the most part, but eventually it was lost. I just returned from the Gold Guild, I asked them to gather information about this. The crystal was eventually recovered by a Craftknight with an affinity towards machines and used in an attempt to repair his injured robotic guardian beast. The being imprisoned in the crystal took over and the guardian beast was no more. However, those spirits feel uncomfortable in machine bodies and prefer to be contained within flesh and blood. Using its new robot body, the creature broke its own power cell, the crystal, and freed itself. Weakened from captivity, the spirit wandered around until it found Hayato. The spirit cannot possess other summon creatures and it cannot fully possess a human without being empowered by a certain energy, in this case love. Hayato was easy to possess being a linker, but impossible to take over, even with love. As for what happened with the robot, it wasn't really being possessed but rather the crystal was being used as it's battery, allowing the spirit control over the robotic body without truly possessing it."

It's all falling into place, and I'm realizing how obvious my lies were. I think Sakuro knows I meant no harm, I think he understands I was just hurt, and I'm thankful that he hasn't said anything about me directly.

After giving us a moment to let it all sink in, Sakuro finishes the story. "What that spirit wants is a normal human to possess, one who is not a linker, and preferably a human of a high position and skill to make it easier to exact his revenge. Usually the vengeance is related to the cause of death, a sort of unfinished business. Kouren wants to permanently seal the being who caused her to admit her feelings for Shintetsu even if she had originally meant to keep them a secret, since he already had Amariss. That's the full story; Kouren has gone to speak to Hayato about this."

So that's why Kouren admits her feelings so openly. They were discovered and she could no longer deny them. Was she angry that she was tricked and I wasn't? No... I think she just wanted revenge on that summon creature and I happened to get caught up in it. I have a feeling that all the loose ends are about to be tied very soon.

Chapter 42: Kouren's Plan

"Kouren's plan..." the words escape me before I can stop myself. "She's planning something, right?"

"Something other than talking to Hayato, you mean?" Sakuro speaks naturally and without a hint of discomfort other than what's proper of the situation, but there is no awkwardness what so ever.

"Is she?" I guess a lot of girls must have a crush on Sakuro; he must be used to it by now.

"It's possible, do you have any ideas?" It's as if Sakuro is telling me with his eyes to speak the truth this time. No more lies.

"I'm not sure, I just thought she might have a plan," I answer truthfully.

"Is there any chance that the summon creature could attack any time soon?" Ureksa asked.

"I don't think so," Sakuro replies, I think we're on to something. "From what we can tell based on the information we have, the spirit that Hayato carries can only possess him during the full moon and remains dormant in his body at any other time. There is no need to fear an attack right now."

"Then why did Kouren ask me to protect her?" Ureksa's question is also my question.

What was Kouren trying to do? Her words about keeping my options open surface in my memories. She should know I'm no competition for Sakuro so she wouldn't make me spend more time with Ureksa to keep me away from him. That just can't be it.

"Do you know?" I stop staring at the floor and look up at Sakuro. "Do you know why Kouren sent Ureksa to protect you?"

"I don't," I'm not lying, I really don't know. "I thought it was unusual since I didn't think I was in any danger."

"Then why?" Ureksa sounds upset to have been tricked. "Why did Kouren insist so strongly? She said I had to do it, that a Craftlord needed to be there. What is she hiding?"

"I don't know," Sakuro admits, "but whatever it is, she hid it from me too." I think Sakuro understands that it couldn't be something as simple as giving me someone other than him to like, and hoping I fall for Ureksa more than for Sakuro. But if that's not it, then what is Kouren trying to accomplish?

"We'll have to ask her when she gets back," Ureksa concludes.

I nod in agreement and prepare to leave. "I should get back to work now."

"I hardly get any of this, but whatever." I think Rasho understands more than he cares to admit.

After returning to the Silver Guild with Rasho, we work on a few things. Rasho is forging on his own and I'm assembling drill engines. Occasionally he complains that he's supposed to help, not do the work himself, but I'm not listening.

Time passes as it always does. Rasho sometimes he goes out for walks around Wystern and entertains himself scaring people, but they stopped fearing him after the first few times and labeled him as a harmless prankster, much to his annoyance.

Rumari and Tyram will be gone for an entire month in a mix between honey moon and vacation. Ureksa probably thinks his house at Vance is too lonely to return to right now, so he might stay in Wystern for longer. The full moon will come and go once again before Rumari and Tyram return.

Kouren eventually came back with Hayato and Natsumi. We gathered at Master Sakuru's house and discussed everything, but we didn't really speak of anything that had not already been said before. It was all a recap and I'm still not sure what Kouren's plan is.

After the meeting at Sakuro's house I returned to my work shop at the Silver Guild as usual. I was working and nothing was out of the ordinary other than a feeling of foreboding. Rasho was downstairs annoying Master Bron; it had become one of his favorite ways to pass the time. I continued to work while listening to their argument with little attention.

"Ureksa, come back here!" A voice that rung clearly over the sound of Bron and Rasho's arguing made me jump. I dropped a bolt under the desk and bent over to pick it up. "Ureksa!" The same voice called as I reached the bolt I had dropped and made me jump in surprise once more.

"Ow!" I bumped my head under the desk and rubbed the affected area. I set the bolt down on the desk and went out to see what was happening.

"Stop!" The woman yelling at Ureksa was Kouren. "If you ruin this plan we won't be able to capture it."

"I can't do this! I'm telling her the truth. I can't believe you would trick me into this!" Ureksa is upset, but why? Is he talking about me?

"I don't mean for her to be hurt in any way," Kouren tries to clarify.

"It would be impossible to stop that from happening," Ureksa argues.

"She has already decided she doesn't care," Kouren shakes her head exasperated.

"What's that's supposed to mean?" Ureksa is still upset.

They're arguing in the middle of the room upstairs, to which all the work shops connect to. Naturally, they have gained an audience. Everyone who was at the Silver Guild when the Craftlords arrived is now watching the argument unfold. Random passer bys and those within ear shot who were not in any hurry, had stopped at the Silver Guild and followed the Craftlords to witness their argument. Even Master Bron and Rasho stopped arguing and are standing there in awe, witnessing the event.

"Okay that's enough!" Master Bron finally decides to take matters into his own hands. At first no one listens to him but when his voice shakes the very foundations of Wystern they have no choice but to listen. "Shut up!" I don't think I would be exaggerating if I said all of Wystern fell into silence at that very moment. "I don't know what this is about, but Craftlords shouldn't argue like this. I would like both of you to go to my office right now." That's it, the three of them where gone off to Master Bron's office and everyone else stood around expectantly until Master Bron's voice echoed all over the Silver Guild, "get back to work!"

Chapter 43: Let the Investigation Begin!

I went back to work as Master Bron said, but I couldn't focus on it. I wanted to go to the office and find out what was going on, as I'm sure everyone else also wished to do, but I didn't.

"Why does everyone listen to him anyway?" Rasho occupied himself complaining about why everyone granted Bron such authority and they hardly listened to the Oni King.

I occasionally nodded to Rasho but my mind was elsewhere and time slowly continued to pass while I awaited the explanation that never came.

The next day rolled around and nothing out of the ordinary happened. Another day passed and life fell into a routine. I had not spoken to Kouren since she returned from Seijent and argued with Ureksa. Actually, I had not spoken to Ureksa or Sakuro either. That will change today, I'm going to talk to Sakuro, since he's the easiest to find; he's always either at his house or at work.

I went to Sakuro's house and Rasho tagged along. I knocked and called but no one answered. Rasho tried to force the door open, but luckily I got him out of there before he actually did. I went to the third floor of Central Tower and asked the guard, "is Master Sakuro here?"

"Yes, he's working right now."

"Okay, thanks," I nodded and left.

"Hey, weren't you going to talk to him?" Rasho asked.

"He's working, I'll talk later." While Rasho encouraged me to demand to talk to Sakuro, I leaned against a wall and tried to ignore him. I should have figured Rasho would encourage me to get into trouble.

Suddenly the wall behind me spun around, throwing me to the other side. I let out a little shriek as I stumbled and painfully fell backwards flat on my back.

"Is everything alright? Who yelled just now?" The guard asked.

"That was me..." Master Sakuro signaled for me to stay down.

"It couldn't have been," the guard was not so easily fooled. "It sounded like a woman."

"That's because..." Sakuro looked around, as if to buy some time to think of an excuse. "Over there!"

The guard was startled when Sakuro suddenly pointed at a vase. "What is it?"

"I saw a spider; it ran behind that vase..." Sakuro observed the guard's reaction, he still looked unsure. "I'm scared of spiders, they make me scream like a girl, but don't tell anyone, okay? That's our secret."

"Oh... Don't worry, I won't tell." I can't believe the guard fell for that.

I had to clasp my hands over my mouth to muffle the sound of my uncontrollable giggles. Sakuro couldn't fake my girly scream even if he tried, yet with a straight face he claimed that spider made him scream like a girl. Sakuro the great Craftlord of Sapphire is afraid of spiders? That is something I wouldn't have fallen for.

I crawl out of the private room unnoticed and Sakuro meets me in the hall where I can no longer hold my laughter. "Oh sure, laugh it up, you made me tarnish my reputation and almost uncovered the secret passage."

"Sorry," I managed to say between laughs and giggles.

"Sakuro is afraid of spiders and screams like a girl!" Rasho chants in a song-like tone.

"Be quiet you, don't rub it in," Sakuro tried to get him to stop, though he's also laughing. The Craftlord of Sapphire has a good sense of humor. "Now, why is it that you snuck in there?"

"I didn't," I admitted. "I wanted to talk to you, but the guard said you were busy working so I thought I would just talk later. I leaned on the wall and fell."

"You have to be careful, I don't want that passage being discovered, otherwise I won't have an escape route anymore." Sakuro and I walk away from the scene of the crime towards the door leading out to upper Wystern, with Rasho following. "What is it that you wanted to talk about?"

"A few days ago Master Kouren and Master Ureksa had an argument. I was worried about that and wanted to know if it was solved." I also want to know if the argument was related to the summon creature, or myself, and if the reason why Kouren asked Ureksa to protect me was revealed.

"Don't worry, it all worked out and they're not arguing anymore." Sakuro isn't giving me more than the necessary information.

"I asked Master Bron but he won't tell me anything about it. He said being nosy only led to getting hurt but I wanted to make sure everything was okay. It was surprising that Master Kouren and Master Ureksa would argue like that. I only heard part of the argument so I'm not sure what it was about," but I have a theory and I want to know for sure.

"It's nothing, just Craftlord business, you don't need to worry about it." Sakuro is smiling but his eyes tell me he doesn't want me to ask anything else.

"Oh, okay that's good to know," I'll pretend to play along. "That's all I wanted to ask about really, sorry to bother you." I'll have to get answers from someone else.

"No problem, let me know if you need anything," Sakuro returned to work and I stayed in upper Wystern until he was gone.

"Special mission Rasho," I announced. "We'll split up and search the city. We're looking for Kouren and Ureksa; let me know right away if you find them."

"Why do I have to play along?" Rasho complains.

"I don't really care if you help or not, I'll find them on my own," lately I've been pouting a lot.

"Hey! You could have insisted a little more!" Rasho does like to be helpful sometimes, he just never admits it.

Rasho and I had gone our separate ways in the search for Kouren and Ureksa. I will get to the bottom of this. As I walk down the street in middle Wystern I spot Pouso. Bingo, I got lucky; if Pouso is here then Ureksa must be near by. I'm not sure what I'm going to say but forget about having a plan, I'll just act concerned and wing it. "Pouso!" The little yellow ghost waves at me and approaches. "Is Master Ureksa near by?"

Pouso squeaks and nods then points towards Ureksa who is unknowingly walking down the street minding his own business and possibly wondering were Pouso went off to. I grin victoriously, even if it has just begun. At least finding Ureksa was easy enough.

Chapter 44: Game Over

The conversation between Master Ureksa and I started out in a similar way than what I said to Master Sakuro. "Master Ureksa, is everything alright? I was worried about the other day..."

It looks like Master Ureksa feels uncomfortable with how this is going. I'm sorry, but it's the only way to get some answers. "It's alright now, we worked things out."

"That's good to hear. I didn't even know what the argument was about and I've heard many things. I didn't know what to believe." This is mostly true. I have heard many theories, everything from a power struggle to a lover's spat. I may not know what to believe, but I do know what not to believe.

"It wasn't anything serious," I suspect judging by the way Master Ureksa looks away uncomfortably that he's hiding something.

"It wasn't? That's good, because I heard it was pretty serious," is it related to the summon creature or to me? I need to figure it out but I can't think of a way to get him to give me that information.

"The important thing is that it's solved now." It's evident that Ureksa wants me to drop the subject.

"Yeah, you're right," it doesn't matter; I get the feeling that the only one who will give me a straight answer is Kouren. "Well, I'm glad. Sorry to bother you." That last bit is spoken a little harshly. I turn away quickly and walk a hurried first few steps, then slowdown, a lost look upon my face.

Ureksa calls my name, he pauses, I almost have him. "Never mind..." that was so close but not quite enough. I keep looking at him, it's making him uncomfortable, he's definitely hiding something. "Nice talking to you," he blurts out the last few words and walks away. Pouso floats around idly, then shakes his head and follows Ureksa.

He almost spoke too much, almost. But now I feel guilty pressuring Ureksa like this. I need to find Kouren. Even if it turns out this doesn't concern me, I'm too deep into the mystery to give up now. I can almost taste the bitter sweet truth and it makes me feel oddly adventurous.

Finding Kouren was no easy task, but maybe that was only because I was searching in the wrong place. I looked all over the city before realizing that she might be in the labyrinth. Sure enough she was there, and in the first floor no less. There she was, Kouren, the Craftlord of Ruby, watching the glass window commonly known as the aquarium, with Rasho floating about pestering her.

"Master Kouren, I have a question." I stand next to her and watch the fish swim around. Rasho greets me but I refuse to speak to him because he stayed there annoying Kouren instead of telling me where she was.

"Why did I send Ureksa to protect you?" Kouren guessed my question easily.

"Yes, I want the full story, the entire truth. It's related to that argument you had with Ureksa, isn't it?" I asked.

"The truth can hurt..." As Kouren spoke, not once did she take her eyes off the aquarium. "The truth is I made a mistake." I'm taken by surprise with those words. "I wanted to use you to trick that spirit. Did Sakuro tell you my full story?"

I nod before I can even think about what I'm revealing.

"I see..." I cringe; I wasn't supposed to tell her that. "I appreciate your honesty, I won't tell Sakuro you let me know." That's a relief. "In my case the summon creature was tricked, but he won't fall for it twice. This time I'm sure seeing his target apparently take the piece of soul won't be enough. That being will rely on sensing it now. That's why I thought you could help. It may sound cruel, but if you were so confused that you didn't know who you loved, the being's senses would be clouded and he would be forced to rely on what he sees. We can trick him again, but we needed your indecision to numb his senses."

"I understand," all the pieces have fallen into place and the game of cat and mouse has ended. "You thought I liked Sakuro best so you sent Ureksa to spend more time with me to balance things out, but he refused." Somehow, this hurts more than it should. If Ureksa refused then that means he didn't want to play with my feelings. Then why am I disappointed? What was I hoping for? That instead of being honest from the start he would choose to make my same mistakes and try to turn a lie into the truth? That he would like me for real? That's impossible, they're Craftlords, they're handsome, talented, skilled, smart and strong. I'm a regular drill maker, I'm average, with a little talent only for machinery and nothing more, with skill only for drills, I'm somewhat smart at least, but I'm not strong. I'm not a disaster but I'm not special, and they are special, they are above me.

"I apologize... I know it was inexcusable, I got caught up in the past..." I know I should be angry at Kouren, I know I could even hate her but I don't. I'm angry yes, I'm quite upset, but it's as if I don't have the right to be and it's frustrating.

I remember that long ago in Rugista, I was one of the people who treated Varil differently. I hardly knew him, I admired him from afar. He was cool, skilled and rich and I wasn't, but I wanted to be, so I saw the one who had what I wanted as superior. Who knows, maybe that's why I ended up with a silly crush, because I thought he was better than everyone else. Yet now, I'm glad Pratty has managed to knock Varil off his cloud and put his feet on the ground, and I'm happy for them.

I'm tired of not feeling good enough; I don't want to be that way anymore. Why am I crying now? I didn't used to cry this often, have I become weaker?

"I didn't mean for you to get hurt this badly." I shake my head, unable to respond to Kouren with words. I feel so pathetic.

The recent events are not even the point anymore. "I liked myself better when I was cold," back when I built a wall around my heart. Without realizing it I allowed myself to feel again after coming to Wystern because I thought that I would only feel happiness here. "I already told you what I decided so why am I not doing it?"

Kouren is saying something, this something is rare for her, I think she's trying to console me, but I'm lost in thought. The truth is that I like both Master Sakuro and Master Ureksa, and I can't stop.

That summon creature caused all this trouble for me and it was that summon creature that caused Kouren pain too. "I'll forgive you on one condition. That we defeat that creature, just us."

I know I can't win on my own, and deep down I want to show Master Sakuro and Master Ureksa that I'm strong enough to do at least this. I know Master Ureksa refused to play with my feelings, and I know Master Sakuro has been doing his best to act natural for my sake even if he knows how I feel. I'm not ready to fully admit it, but I want to prove, perhaps more to myself than them, that I can be strong.

"Just us girls against the creature? That could work, I have an idea..." I should have known Kouren would have a back-up plan.

Chapter 45: Rest in Peace

Time passed and the day of the full moon finally came. I got up that day like any other day and took a look in the mirror at my sleepy face. I traced a line with my finger across my cheeks and realized that if I didn't already know there was supposed to be something there I wouldn't know where to trace it.

I smiled dumbly, "it faded." It took its time disappearing but the cut I got at the door to the Silver Guild when there was a panic during the entire sea serpent ordeal is finally disappearing. Of course the scars of my clumsy fighting in the labyrinth are still there, but those can be easily hidden and with some luck will also fade in time.

Things progressed normally that day, but in the evening I told Rasho I was going out and asked him to keep it a secret. "Got a date?" He teased.

I shook my head. "No, just a girls' night out."

I met up with Kouren who was having some second thoughts about it, but I assured her I was not going to change my mind. We went to Seijent and as expected Hayato and Natsumi didn't approve of our plan, but we insisted and convinced them.

There is a special type of gem that can be used to entrap a being like that one, the same type that was used before. Except this time he won't fall for any tricks so he must be forced into it. Kouren melted and mixed the gem, placing the liquid piece of soul in the center and mixing it with a rare ore that reacts to ones emotion. "Confusion is the key," she had said.

It's Ironic to think that the fact I like both Sakuro and Ureksa will be good for something. That night under the full moon, I focused my love for them in the gem, thoughts running wild as my emotions were amplified by it, face scarlet red, feeling exposed and vulnerable; but I didn't stop.

Under the faint light of the full moon, the creature was forced to come out of its slumber and try to stop me as I called its soul towards the Crystal with my energy. It was furious, taking control of Hayato and trying to stop me. But fighting it and keeping things under control was Kouren and Natsumi's part.

The power of the spirit gave Hayato amazing strength, speed and stamina, it took both Kouren and Natsumi to keep him under control long enough for me to trap the spirit, but I did it.

After it was all over, Hayato collapsed from the strain and so did I, but other than being exhausted, we were fine. I don't know when I started crying, or why, if all was going according to plan, but the emotional strain proved to be hard and tears fell out. I've calm down by now, a serene smile upon my face.

The mission was finally completed when the Crystal was immersed in a ritual to put the soul to rest. I was surprised to see it was none other than Nina who was called from the Cerulean Society to perform the ritual.

After it was all done, I can say that we were victorious. The creature was put to rest, no longer lingering in this world for the unfinished business of revenge on Wystern. Hayato was freed from acting as the creature's prison, and we were all safe.

Exhausted, looking kind of pale, more so than normal, and a little light headed, I stayed in Seijent that night. The next morning we had breakfast together, talked for a while, then said our goodbyes.

Kouren and I returned to Wystern and she gave the Craftlords the report. I just said I had some work to do and went straight home. Though I wanted to prove that I can deal with these feelings, and I am strong enough to help in some way, it's still embarrassing to say that I sealed away a creature with a ritual fueled by the conflicting love energy of being in love with two men at the same time. If it worked, then it turns out, that I do love them equally after all.

I didn't see Sakuro or Ureksa for a while. I got along with Kouren better after what happened though we never became really close. When I finally saw Master Sakuro again, it was to pick up a delivery for Master Bron. The Silver Guild leader had said that Sakuro would have the delivery waiting for me, though it actually wasn't ready so I had to wait at his house where I found out that the delivery was actually curry. I should have known.

"Almost done," Sakuro pauses, eyes closed in deep concentration, a happy expression on his face, "there! All done."

I guess he must have been adding the love. I can't help it but to be amused and I'm still laughing when he hands me the bowl full of curry to deliver to Master Bron.

"You're cheerful today," at least he's laughing with me so that I'm not laughing at him. "That's good, I'm glad you're in a good mood."

"I am," really, I can't complain. "Thanks Master Sakuro, I'll take this delivery to Master Bron right away."

"I'm counting on you," it's amusing because Sakuro is making it sound as if this is some sort of secret package and the fate of Wystern depends on it.

"I shall guard this with my life!" Though I'm trying to fake a serious expression, I giggled the entire time.

Life is good, it's starting to settle back into a routine and nothing much has changed since I came to Wystern, though a lot has happened. That's okay, because I like the way things are.

When I arrived at the Silver Guild with the delivery, I found that Cleru and Pratty were interrogating Master Bron as to why they had not been informed about the summon creature. As I hand Bron the delivery their questions turn towards me. "Why didn't you tell us?"

"I didn't think it mattered?" I was honestly too preoccupied to inform the Craftlords of Iron about this, or anyone else.

They pouted, looking very much like twins and I giggled again. It seems I've been doing that a lot lately. I spent the rest of the day telling Cleru and Pratty the full story about the summon creature, since they had only heard bits and pieces. But other than saying I powered the gem with my energy, I didn't mention that the energy came from my love for Sakuro and Ureksa.

I have decided to continue living my life normally as I did before. I'll keep these feelings to myself and as long as they act natural around me, even if I know they're aware of my secret, I'll be able to act natural too. Albeit I can't help it but to wonder what things would be like if I haven't told Kouren that I had decided to let these feelings fade away in time. I wonder what would happen if I decided to try to make one of them like me back...

I push the thoughts away; I shouldn't think such silly and impossible things. I have a good job, great friends and a happy life in Wystern to look forward to. That's enough; I won't trouble myself with what I know I can't have.

Chapter 46: Time Skip

Many things have happened, but it seems that when I think back on it I can only remember the most important events, as every other day feels like one day being lived over and over again.

Rumari and Tyram came to visit Wystern after they returned from their honey moon vacation. Ureksa eventually returned to Vance and only comes to Wystern for the Craftlord meetings.

I see Master Sakuro often, since I'm always volunteering to make deliveries. Nothing unusual has happened between us, but we're getting along great as friends so I have no complaints.

Master Kouren has been traveling often, though she spends a good amount of time in Wystern. That guard from the third floor of Central Tower still likes her, I heard. The rumors say she has started to like Hayato, but I don't know if it's true.

Life goes on and time passes slowly, but when I look back, it feels like it's passing very fast. Eventually, the tournament to elect the new Craftlord of Crystal took place and was actually finished this time. The top competitors were Varil, Sanary, Razzy and Ariel, and the tournament ended with Varil as the winner.

Things have been going well for me; I'm becoming skilled in drill making after all this practice. It was a slow process, but I'm progressing. The Silver Guild is doing well. Vance has become an important trade point, it's certainly not as busy as Wystern, but it has become a place were ships often go to pick up cargo and distribute it.

More and more tournaments have been taking place all around the world. Many of the people participating aren't even Craftknights and thus fight with weapons they have purchased and not made. To try to lessen the injuries, contestants are encouraged to try to win by breaking their opponent's weapon instead of by knock out, and are given extra points or prices if they can do it. This proves to be challenging, but most are up to it. It's beneficial to the City of Swords since the demand for weapons increased, weapons that are durable and powerful enough to shatter the durability of the opponent's weapon.

I've been working hard on durability; I've always known that's my weak point when it comes to making drills, but I can't deny that I have improved. Master Bron has a weapons distribution shop at Vance. It's not as big as the commerce coming from the Gold Guild, but the Silver Guild weapons are on high demand, so whatever we produce, we sell.

There has been some mining activity going on at Vance. Some caves were discovered containing precious ores. The Craftknights of Vance and Wystern are quite happy to have new materials to experiment with. The miners have been using drills to help extract the ores and dig deeper into the mines. Because of that, a portion of the Silver Guild's shop at Vance, which is currently managed by Tyram, will be dedicated to the production of drills.

Master Bron has offered me a new job, a promotion. He offered me to work on the drills at Vance; I would be working with Tyram, focusing on drills while he crafts other types of weapons. The commerce in Wystern has increased and the waters are usually crowded with ships, so shipping more drills and spare parts to Vance has proved to be a slow process, more so since the raw materials have to be brought over from Vance only to be sent back after they are processed.

If there was someone at Vance who could focus only on drills then it would speed the process. Plus instead of shipping over drills for upgrades or repairs to Wystern and waiting for them to be returned by ship, or leaving them in Vance to wait in the shelves until Tyram can manage his overload of work and fix them; I could work on them and help speed the process.

Rumari has been working on the shop as well and Ureksa works there when ever he can, since he still needs to take care of his Craftlord duties first. However, Rumari is expecting a baby and will have to stay away from the heavy forging work for a while. I heard that Ureksa, ever protective of his sister, won't let her do any real jobs while she's pregnant. Tyram has agreed that she needs to take it easy, even if he ends up with more work than one person, even at Craftlord level, can possibly handle.

I told Master Bron I would take the job. It's clear that he needs me working at Vance and he's helped me so much. I'll also be able to see Rumari more often, whom I have been exchanging letters with all this time, and I can help out around the house if she needs it. Then there's the fact that I'll see Master Ureksa more often too. The down side is that I won't get to see Master Sakuro as much and I'll miss my friends from Wystern, even if we write often. But I've decided that I'll do this for Master Bron, for the Silver Guild and for Rumari, I feel that I owe them this much as gratitude for all they've done for me.

I have given the summonite gem to Rasho. He said he was entertained and wanted to stay in Wystern a little longer. I think he has gotten to like forging weapons and living in the City of Swords. He would probably be bored in Vance so I told him he could stay in Wystern. He muttered something I didn't quite catch when I hugged him and told him to write to me sometime and come visit as much as he wants. Then he went into his speech about not liking humans, but that's just his way to show he cares.

Tomorrow I'm leaving for Vance, I don't know for how long I'll be there, but I'm going. Second thoughts and uneasiness are abundant right now. I have already told my friends about this days ago and today we're having a little reunion before I leave.

I'll be leaving very early or very late depending on how you look at it. At three in the morning Master Bron will take me to Vance with enough time to set things up there and return to Wystern early. He gave me as many extra days in Wystern as he could, but there is a lot of work to be done, so we could leave today at a normal hour or tomorrow at three in the morning since Master Bron has to make both trips anyway. I chose to go tomorrow despite the odd hour, so that I can spend one more day in Wystern, I don't know when I'll return.

Very soon a new era in my life is about to start. I've been to Vance before; I know Master Ureksa, Rumari and Tyram. It's honestly not that far from Wystern, though I would be too busy to visit very often. But even if Vance is not really a completely unknown place, living there is new to me and I keep wondering if I've made the right choice. I guess only time can tell if Vance is the right place to be.

Chapter 47: Moving to Vance

It's three in the morning and everything is quiet in the City of Swords, even Craftknights have to sleep after all. My friends made a little party for me, we talked, joked and had cake, it was fun. They even gave me presents. Cleru, Sugar, Pratty, Zantek, Varil, Razzy, Kenon and Rasho were there. Even Ariel, Mariel, Cazio, Kouren, Sanary and Sakuro went.

I promised to write often and so did they, because I know I won't be able to visit Wystern very often for now, but I'll definitely visit everyone when I come by.

All my luggage is in Master Bron's boat. I'm taking one last look at the City of Swords before I leave; one last look at Wystern, my home. "Ready to go?"

I'm about to answer Master Bron but I pause. Someone is coming. "Just a moment..." It's dark but as the person comes closer I recognize him. "Master Sakuro?"

"Oh good you're still here, I almost missed you, I want to see you off." Words cannot describe how happy I am to see Master Sakuro again before I leave, and at the same time I'm sad to be leaving.

I jump off the boat and by some miracle make it to the docks without falling. "It's good to see you again."

"I'm going on a trip too, a trip around the world." Master Sakuro had mentioned it before, but had not set a specific date. "I'll leave the day after tomorrow."

"How come you didn't tell me?" I'm not sure I can be here then.

"It's alright; you have your career to think of, find your dream and follow it. This is my dream. I'll see you off today, and you can say 'see you later' to me now. I know you'll be busy when I leave and I'm not good at goodbyes anyway. Besides, it's not goodbye forever. We'll both return to Wystern some day to visit the City of Swords. I'll see you then." Master Sakuro hugged me and I wanted to stay that way forever.

For just a small moment the world around me stopped, then came abruptly into motion again when he let me go. I want to stay with him, but even if I stay in Wystern I won't be able to stay with Sakuro for more than a few days.

"Don't look so sad, you have friends in Vance and you'll still keep your friends from Wystern." Sakuro places something in my hands, wrapped in shiny Sapphire colored paper. "Open it on the way to Vance."

"Sakuro... Thank you, have a safe trip and come back to Wystern some day. Write to me if you can." Sakuro... you're in my heart...

As Master Bron's boat approached Vance, I opened Sakuro's gift and found a very beautiful sea shell bracelet, I will treasure it forever.

It was still mostly dark when we got to Vance, but a few faint rays of light started to appear in the horizon. I had never witnessed the sunrise at sea, even if I lived in a tower in the middle of the ocean for so long I always slept through it. It's truly beautiful and it makes Vance in the distance look like a picture from a post card.

Master Bron and Master Ureksa helped me move in. Master Bron said he had arranged everything for my stay, so at first I assumed I would be living at the work shop, but instead I would actually be living at one of the houses near the work shop. There was the shop where Tyram and I would work, Rumari' and Tyrams house, where I assumed Ureksa also lived, and there was another house next to it, I would be staying in that house.

After we brought in my luggage, I went to the port with Master Bron to say goodbye, shivering from the morning cold all the way. "The cold might take some getting used to. You never liked the cold did you?"

"It's okay, I'll just wear a coat," I wasn't going to let a little freezing cold air bother me.

"And it's warm in the work shop so you won't have to worry too much. Good luck, make some Silver Guild worthy drills!" Master Bron is glad I took this job; I can tell he is, and I'm happy I could help. After all, it was thanks to Bron that I could go to Wystern in the first place.

"I will!" I'm feeling better about being here already, even if I am freezing.

"Don't slack off now!" Another voice calls from the ship. It's Rasho!

"Rasho, what are you doing there?" I stare at him surprised but somehow amused.

"Just saying goodbye, I'll come by when ever I get bored of Wystern," Rasho is his usual self as always.

"Hey! I don't want any stow aways in my ship!" It's funny to watch Bron chasing Rasho around the ship.

I think Rasho will be happier in Wystern than he would have been in Vance. After all, annoying Bron is one of his favorite things to do. He's never really been my guardian beast, but he has become a dear friend. He's a free summon more so than a stray summon, and that's the way it should be, I think that's how he wants it to be too.

After Bron's ship disappeared in the horizon, and the sun continued to slowly rise, Tyram filled me in on the work schedule. "You can unpack first if you want, it's still very early. I already set up your work area so you don't need to do that. Do you mind using new tools or are you too used to the ones you have?"

I guess Bron thought I would have to set things up myself. "I don't mind either way. Any tools are fine by me, and thanks for setting things up." I wonder if I'm even a real drill crafter, not getting attached to my tools as most Craftknights do.

"Good, then you can get settled into your new room, then come have breakfast with Rumari, Ureksa and me," Tyram is still ever the calm.

"That sounds great," I find it odd that it's so early but I'm so energetic. I thought for sure I would be falling asleep standing. I guess I'm just excited and a little nervous. "Master Tyram," even if he isn't a Craftlord anymore he's still at that level and technically the master of the Vance shop. "You and Rumari live there, right?" I point towards their house. "Then whose house is this?" I point towards the house where I will be staying as we arrive.

"This is Ureksa's house. He insisted on moving out after Rumari and I got married, even if we told him he could stay as long as he wanted. At least we're still neighbors. The guest room has been empty since he moved so when Bron told me about sending some help over I asked Ureksa if he would mind if I borrowed it. Now you don't need to sleep in the work shop or worry about renting a room. You get a free room and Ureksa will have some company in that big empty house. Well, he has Pouso, but I'm sure Rumari will feel better knowing you're there too; everybody wins." I wasn't expecting Tyram to say that, but he's right.

I'll be living with Master Ureksa! I feel like I won the lottery! Of course this doesn't really mean anything, but can I help it if my thoughts go in every direction? Then I noticed the pretty sea shell bracelet I'm wearing and I don't know if I should be jumping with joy to be close to Ureksa or crying because I'm far from Sakuro. Ah, the joys of loving two men...

Chapter 48: The Quiet Snow Town

Time has gone by slowly ever since I came to Vance. My schedule is the same every day. I get up early, usually to the sound of Master Ureksa calling me, and rarely without having to be called. The first time I gave Ureksa a bit of a scare because I wouldn't answer. He said he called and knocked and I didn't reply, so he went into my room to find me sleeping soundly, except to him it looked almost like a coma. I didn't wake up until he was loudly calling me, while standing right next to me and gave me a good shake.

I guess I forgot to mention that I sleep like a rock and I'm used to sleeping through the occasional hammer banging that happens in the middle of the night in the Silver Guild when someone wakes up with the inspiration to make a weapon and can't go back to sleep until it's been made. Of course Master Bron's voice could still wake me up. Master Bron's voice could probably wake the dead, it echoes, resonates and booms like no other and makes the very foundation of the city shake.

After a while I started getting used to the quiet of Vance and Master Ureksa didn't have to strain his throat too much trying to wake me up. After dragging myself out of bed, washing and dressing for the day, I go to Rumari and Tyram's house and have breakfast with them and Ureksa. Though it's cold I still prefer cool food and I'll take juice over coffee any day.

Vance isn't as active as Wystern, which is to be expected even with the growing commerce. It's very quiet here in comparison, to the point where sometimes I wonder if there are any people in town besides Tyram, whose hammer I sometimes hear forging, because I can't detect the presence of anyone else. Rasho would have really been bored here.

Living with Ureksa isn't as much as a big deal as I initially thought it would be. I have my own room and my own bathroom so we hardly cross paths. We eat at Rumari and Tyram's house together and when I finish my work, I help Rumari around the house, mostly with cleaning and laundry since I'm a disaster in the kitchen.

Vance is an uneventful town which is why when something does happen, everyone knows. There's a play going on, it's not exactly a huge event but it's something. Everyone is going, I guess I should go too and see if the traveling artists from the show boat can act as well as I've heard.

Today I finished work early. Rumari has asked me to remind Tyram to bring more fire wood, which I did mention, but I think I'll get things started by getting some myself, which proved to be more difficult than I expected. I don't have the skill or equipment needed to bring a tree down. I'm not exceptionally strong either and even if I chopped down a tree little by little, I'm not sure if I can finish the task without accidentally hurting myself.

Master Tyram is good at collecting fire wood, he's an expert with the axe and he's used to it. All I can really do is collect small twigs which simply look pitiful. I huff, this isn't working. There's a tree trunk on the ground that I could cut up, but the wood is old and possibly burns up too fast. Plus I've seen people sitting on it and children playing around it so I'm sure the locals wouldn't want me to ruin it.

I guess my journey to collect fire wood is turning out to be nothing more than a useless walk. I reach the area near the mines and curiously watch the workers from behind the fence. It's only a wooden fence, not too tall and easy to trespass. It's only there to mark the area rather than to keep people out, they assume that everyone will respect the landmark and not go any further.

"Hey, you're the girl from the shop, right?" A random worker noticed me.

"Yeah," I suppose I could make it sound as I'm here for a reason. "Are the drills working alright?"

"Yeah, pretty good, especially those new ones. Give Master Tyram my thanks," after saying this, the worker goes back to his job.

"I will," and I walk away without saying anything else. I made the drills on my own, Master Tyram fully trusted me with that. I don't care if they don't know that, I'm proud that the drills I made are good.

On my way back I saw a girl I've never seen before. "Excuse me," she was pretty, long brunette hair and pale blue eyes. "I was looking for some fire wood, is it okay to cut some here?"

I may be unable to do this myself, but at least I know where cutting trees is allowed. "Yes, those trees over there can be cut, but you can also buy firewood in town." It is a bit overpriced, hence why I didn't consider the option for myself.

"Okay, I already asked the inn keep if it would be alright to use a tree, I just wanted to make sure I didn't cut the wrong one. He said people usually just take what they need and leave the rest for the next person. I don't see any left over parts of trees that have already been cut, so I guess I'll bring down a new one." She carries a double bladed axe, the handle is a bit longer than usual and rests on her shoulder. "Thanks for the info!"

"Sure, no problem..." I wonder who she is. It's not that she's mean or anything, but a part of me hopes she's just a traveler and not someone who just moved in.

I walk back to the shop empty handed. I didn't say I would bring anything, so I'm not expected to, but I wish I had some fire wood to bring. I glance back at the girl with the axe, she's very skilled with it, I wonder if she's a Craftknight. She's almost done chopping down the tree with perfect cuts and it didn't take very long at all. Somehow, I have the urgency to run home and make an axe. Even if I can't wield it as well as she can, I want to at least make one. I'm quite out of practice since I started focusing on drills, but I want to try.

Chapter 49: Alora: Adorable, Axe Master... Annoying!

I've been in a rotten mood all evening. Apparently Tyram finished work early too and he went off to get the fire wood. I was going to catch up, but figured I wouldn't be able to help much so I went to help Rumari around the house instead. It turns out that Ureksa was done with his Craftlord work early today and what a coincidence that he went off to help Tyram. The biggest coincidence is that they got to the area designated for collecting wood soon after I left, and that girl with the axe was still there.

Oh joy, she got to show off how skilled she is and even if I was actually there, I wouldn't have been able to do anything. I feel so helpless. They decided to share the tree since she didn't need that much wood and Tyram and Ureksa helped her carry the firewood back to her home. My only consolation is that her home happened to be the large show ship anchored at the port, which means that she should be gone after they act out their little play and take their show on the road, or I should say sea.

I've forced a smile upon my face and did nothing more than nod, refusing to comment on how wonderfully skilled the actress is, it's not like I was there to witness the whole process with them anyway. I think they said her name was Alora, quite frankly I don't care, I'm just turning green with new found envy and I want her gone.

I went to bed early, I don't know if I'm angrier for being jealous, when in the past I have practically always accepted my limitations, or if I'm angrier because I can't compete. But overall I'm being silly, I'm not sure what I would be competing for. Besides, it's not like she's going to stay, she'll be gone with her acting crew soon enough.

When the day of the play came we all went as one large group. When I went to meet up with everyone at Rumari and Tyram's house, I caught part of a conversation between Rumari and Ureksa going on in the next room. "So you told them all the same thing; that you would go with a group of friends?" Rumari asked.

"It's the truth," Ureksa replied and Pouso's squeaks followed.

"It sounds alright, but you really should consider going out with one of them-" I didn't need to hear anymore. I ran out of there before Rumari could finish and waited outside, it's not like I should be eaves dropping anyway.

It's obvious that the girls of Vance are starting to get closer to him, growing more impatient as more time passes with him being dateless. It's ironic that I'm the one closest to him, yet at the same time the one who's furthest away. I guess those other girls know that I'm just occupying a room in his house and nothing more. It's become that obvious, and the bitter part of me is wishing that Ureksa wasn't a gentleman at all and would take advantage of the situation already. But he won't, I know he won't, why would he want to? It's just me, not an amazing axe wielding beauty, just me...

My eyes are watery; I don't know what I was expecting. I blink and try to hold back. I'm such a stupid girl, I know very well not to wish for what I can't have, and then I'm disappointed when I realize that other people can have what I never could, even if I knew that all along so it shouldn't come as a surprise. I frown, I'm not pretty or skilled. Fine then, I'll just have to work till I drop and try to become rich. But that doesn't seem very likely... I'm fairly smart but not a genius, I suppose I could study hard and try to become one, because I'm desperate to be special.

I managed to keep a straight face throughout the entire play and the ordeal of girls putting an amazing amount of effort just to sit next to Ureksa. I even managed to pretend I enjoyed watching the play, but I wasn't paying attention and I'm not even sure what it was about.

The next day I started studying. I worked and studied for a few days and didn't even speak more than a few words to anyone. I ended up mentally burned out and realizing that if I kept that up, it would only push Ureksa and everyone else away.

I decided to tone down the studying and read the drill books little by little. There is no labyrinth here, but I occasionally hike for the sake of not looking like a couch potato since I'm sitting down all day assembling drills.

I don't think I would have enough time to do my job and somehow improve myself even if I skipped out on sleep completely, which would just make things worse. Why is it that it takes so much effort for me to look half decent and lady like, and those other girls seem to look radiant no matter what? I guess that's why I always look like a careless tomboyish girl; it's what's easiest for me.

All of this has brought me back to square one, back to what I told Kouren. I should, and will, let those crushes fade away. Trying to be more than I can be is only causing me stress. I've decided that I'll accept my role and stop complaining. I'm the friend, and I'll try to become the irreplaceable friend, that's all.

Much to my annoyance, Alora decided to stay in Vance to pursue her dream of becoming a full time Craftknight. She's made friends with Rumari and I feel as if she's stolen my dear friend. I'll just have to be a better friend, because that's who I am, the eternal friend, not the sister in law, goodness no, I just need to get that through my thick skull.

I've been working hard day by day. I've been frustrated with how slowly I improve and how long it's taken me to get to this point, but I've been working. I've been getting little sleep; I just don't feel like sleeping anymore, I want to achieve something, even if I'm not sure what it is anymore.

I've been writing to my friends regularly, all my letters are happy and encouraging. I just wish my heart was the same as my outer shell. Alora has been working part time at the shop, Tyram was kind enough to give her a job and with all the good intentions told me I could take a break now that I had some help. She's annoyingly good at this. I just told Tyram that I enjoyed working at the shop and still spent the majority of the day there.

Sometimes, Alora, Rumari and I cook together. She's great in the kitchen and I can only help with simple tasks I can't possibly ruin. Alora asked me if I liked Ureksa and I denied it, claiming that I only saw him as a friend. I regretted saying that and got a burning sensation in my heart right after. I think I just messed up very badly. I long to return to Wystern away from all this pain.

Chapter 50: Giving Up So Soon?

A job came up in Seijent. When Master Bron came over to see how everything was going he mentioned it. I said I would like to apply for that job. Apparently, the mining for new ores has increased, so drills and machine based equipment are on high demand.

Ever since Alora came I've been feeling that I'm at the wrong place, and the time has come for me to move out. Master Bron sensed my doubt and told me to think about it, and give him an answer tomorrow when he comes by to deliver some things. He'll give me the job if I still want it.

I went to talk to Rumari and told her about the job at Seijent. "Do you want to go?"

"I don't know," I truthfully replied. "I guess my goals are a little blurry. I don't want to move further away from my friends, but I guess I know Hayato and Natsumi, so not everyone in Seijent is a stranger to me."

"Do you think this will be a good opportunity for your career?" Rumari asked.

"I suppose so..." I'm not truly sure, I would assume it is.

"Isn't that why you're going?" Rumari certainly knows how to get to the bottom of things. She asked the exact question I don't know how to answer. I remained silent, in thought. "Is there another reason?"

I sighed. "I wish that all my friends were in one place, and that all of us could live happily together. But I guess everyone has things to do, people change and move on. I'm the only one who stays the same."

"Do you want to move because it feels like everyone else is moving?" Rumari has a caring and understanding look on her face.

"I don't even know what I want. I suppose that's my real problem. I guess it should be clear, to advance in my career, right?" I feel so lost.

"That is something that only you can decide. Only you can decide what your goal will be and what you feel most comfortable doing." I guess Rumari is right, but how can I do that? "Be honest with yourself, what is it that you want?"

"I want to be happy..." I finally reply. "Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy here, but there's something missing. I guess I can't freeze life during a happy moment with my friends. I suppose the only thing left for me to do is search for more happy moments. The feeling of a fresh start is comforting, or maybe I'm trying to recover the comfort zone I left in Wystern. I thought I found that here and then..."

"Could it be that what's missing is love?" Am I that easy to read?

"I think I've been in love..." I don't want to say too much, Rumari is Ureksa's sister after all. "But I never did anything about it."

"Why not?" Because I'm not pretty, talented, strong, kind and amazing like you...

"I thought he wouldn't like me back so I never bothered mentioning anything," I admit.

"So you won't ask the question until you know the answer?" I know, it's cowardly.

"I sort of gave out the answer, but he didn't ask the question..." I know that Sakuro must have known that I like him and I can't be one hundred percent sure that Ureksa knew, but there's a possibility he might know.

"Then don't worry about it, he's the one missing out," Rumari, you have no idea I'm in part talking about your brother, do you?

Then I realize that even if I admitted the truth to Kouren, I also told her that I fully intended to let those feelings fade away. "I kind of gave the impression that I liked him but I didn't want to like him."

"If he thinks that, then you didn't really give him the answer you wanted, so it's no wonder he never asked the question. Why don't you just try being sincere and a little more direct? Men can miss small hints sometimes." Rumari laughs at this point as if remembering a personal experience.

Her laugh is contagious. "I don't think I know how to make a man fall in love with me."

"Just be yourself," it's classic advice but I don't think it will work. "Be yourself, be true to your feelings and if it's true love then it will happen on its own."

"And if it's not I'll be causing unnecessary trouble for both of us," and the awkwardness will never be lifted.

"If you didn't think it could be true love, why do you like him so much in the first place? Think of why you like him, don't you think someone with all those good points deserves to know he's appreciated? If he's really as good as you think, then he'll respect your feelings, you don't need to keep everything bottled up." I don't think it was that hard between Rumari and Tyram. Sometimes everything just works out, but not for me.

"Respecting isn't the same as returning. Besides, it's because I care about him that I want to keep him as a friend instead of talking too much and losing him entirely." Why am I even talking about this? The answer should have already been clear; I should have seen it by myself.

"I thought you were braver..." Is Rumari disappointed?

I don't know how to reply to that, what can I possibly say? Then there's a knock on the door and a familiar voice that makes me twitch. "Rumari!"

I plaster a fake smile on my face, with no effort to make it look real as my left eye twitches a little. "I'll get it..."

By the time I open the door and see Alora standing there, my fake smile has melted into a real frown, complimented by a distant look in my eyes. "Hey Alora," my friendly tone does not match my face at all. "What brings you here?" I have not yet moved from the door.

"I came to see Rumari," Alora makes a pause as if waiting for me to move and takes a small step to make her intentions to go inside obvious. "Can I come in?"

I didn't say anything; I just remained rooted to the spot until Rumari said "yes." Only then I move.

"On second thought," I addressed only Rumari, ignoring Alora completely. "I think it's best if I leave." Then I went to my room to pack.

Chapter 51: Fight!

The time came and I gave Master Bron my answer. He had some things to do, so I still had a couple of hours in Vance. I'm feeling hurt and don't want to be here. I asked if I could wait on the boat, Master Bron said I could but I don't think he understood why I would want to.

I went to pick up my luggage and Ureksa was at the house. I just went straight to my room without saying anything. "You really are leaving..." I'm not sure if Ureksa sounded angry or disappointed.

"Yes, I'm going to Seijent," my face and voice were neutral and could be seen as uncaring. I took a deep breath and smiled, I didn't want his last memory of me to be like this. "Right! I'm finally going to Seijent; it'll be good for my career."

"So that's it, you're happy to leave?" Why does Master Ureksa sound upset?

"Why wouldn't I be?" I'll be happy when I can calm down and forget about these stupid crushes.

"Sounds like you can't wait to get out of here. You're abandoning Rumari," what is he talking about? "She was upset."

"I'm not... that's not..." I stutter, I don't know how to word this.

"Fine if that's what you want, then go ahead and leave," Ureksa starts to walk away upset.

I grab the end of his scarf and pull him back then let go. "Alora is here now so it doesn't matter if I'm gone." My mind travels back to a time when Alora and I were working at the shop. She asked me if I liked Ureksa and I denied it. "She likes you; I'm just getting in the way."

Ureksa gives me a look I can't quite read. "Did she ask you to leave?"

"No, I can see for myself that I'm in the way." I grab my luggage and start to walk towards the front door.

"So that's why..." Ureksa follows me. "But you're not in the way. I don't mind if you stay here and I hardly know Alora, you shouldn't jump to conclusions too quickly. If you're leaving because of me then you don't have to."

My hand rests on the door knob. Once I step out of his house, I might never be able to return. "Yes I do, because I like you too." I open the door and start walking out.

Ureksa stands at the door for a moment then follows me. "I'll help you carry that," he does, and we walk in silence towards the port. We stand there at the docks, looking at Master Bron's boat. "Since when?"

"Before coming to Vance, didn't Kouren mention something?" It's strange; I'm talking about myself in a tone one would use to talk about someone else.

"She asked me to protect you and to try to make you like me. I thought it was all needed for her plans, but this was the real reason. I guess I can't take a hint." I know Ureksa must feel as awkward as I do or at least close to it.

"I didn't ask her for that," this is the truth. "I told her not to take it into consideration, it's pointless..."

"I'm pointless?" No, that's not what I meant.

"Not you... what I mean is that unrequited love is pointless. I'll come visit one day, and I'll be able to see you as a friend when I come back. It seems I can't achieve that without some time away. I'll miss talking to Rumari and working with Tyram. I'll miss you too, but it's for the best." After that Ureksa and I quietly moved my things to Bron's ship and discovered Alora was there.

"Nostalgia, I've spent a lot of my life on a ship, so I asked Master Bron if I could hang out on his boat for a while," Alora explained before we could ask her anything.

"Oh... okay... Hey Alora, can I ask you for one thing before I leave?" I may be running away like a coward, but I'm a coward who fights, even if it's just a little.

"What is it?" I don't think she'll expect this.

"Spar with me," I've been secretly working on a special drill all this time, using my experience making mining drills to create a drill that's small enough to be used as a weapon, but powerful enough to break rocks.

"I would win," Alora is certainly confident.

"I heard you get stronger by fighting someone who is stronger," I insist.

"Alright," of course Alora is carrying her axe. "How about the docks then?"

"Fine by me," I dig out my drill from my luggage and join Alora at the docks. Ureksa is watching silently.

We both take attack positions and the battle begins. Alora is very fast and I hardly have time to block, let alone attack. My drill looks fragile, but it's very strong, the spiral has been sharpened and it has small thorns on it. The engine is small but powerful. Its durability is enough to be useful in a fight, though I had to strengthen it so it's a little heavy and I need to hold it with both hands.

As Alora's axe collides with my drill, I activate it and the weapons screech from the friction. Alora keeps hitting it; sure that she'll break it, until she realizes that one of the blades of her axe has been turned into a zigzag pattern.

She turns it over and our weapons clash again. I push my drill against her axe, she pushes back. I move backwards, but I'm running out of room; there are waves behind me and the dock doesn't go on forever. Then it happens, Alora's axe shatters leaving her only with the handle.

I hear clapping and realize that Ureksa isn't the only one watching. Rumari, Tyram and Bron are here too. "Well done, that was a great fight."

While Master Bron speaks, I move away from the edge of the dock, it's over. "I can't believe you actually broke my axe, what kind of a drill is that?" Alora sounds upset.

"It's my own design, Master Bron, I sent it to you, remember?" I'm proud of my work, I actually won.

"Yes, It's a good drill, with some modifications you could turn it into a design for an industrial drill to mine ores," I wonder why Bron would consider that possibility first instead of thinking of it as a weapon for tournaments. "But as a weapon..." I wait expectantly as he pauses. "It's a bit destructive isn't it?"

"So that's why my axe broke, the drill is above the regulations. That's not fair." What is Alora talking about?

"What regulations?" I question.

"The ones I mentioned yesterday at dinner while you were spacing out and glaring at the walls," Ureksa finally says something.

"Oh that... Well I had a good reason to be distracted, I was thinking..." Great, I messed up, I won and I still managed to mess up somehow.

"Certain guide lines will be implemented for drills, which have become more advanced than the other weapons. We talked about it in the last Craftlord meeting." I really was distracted not to have heard Ureksa say any of that during that dinner. "But, those guidelines have not been made official yet, so technically this was still a legal match."

"But it wasn't fair," Alora complains.

"You should have said so before," I hold my drill up, "It's not like it doesn't look destructive, there's really no way to hide that." I don't care what Alora says, and I don't care if it really wasn't fair, it was at least legal. I rarely win at anything, so I intend to savor my victory.

To be Continued