Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction / D. N. Angel Fan Fiction / Kyou Kara Maou Fan Fiction ❯ Yuuri and Wolfram's Excellent Adventure ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

000ooo000
 
Maniacal laughter echoed off of the bare, cold stone walls. A figure in a dark robe and cowl stood looking over his handiwork, carefully paging through a large ornately bound book with a cat shaped puppet on his hand. At last it was done... What had started as a puzzle; a nearly endless challenge, had finally been resolved. An appraising eye went over the object of oh-so-many tortured hours spent piecing tattered shreds back together. But now it was whole once more, the Hon no Maho Mon e Jigoku, (spell book gateway to hell, or something like that) prized work of the renowned Hikari family. Nearly destroyed; battered beyond repair through the ages. Now it was whole again, a glory to behold, a testament to the power of a rabid student of the dark arts with enough time, enough cellophane tape… (and an ancient 1960's era Cracker Jack prize spell book bought on eBay for reference.) Now it was complete.
 
The crystals were placed, the wards drawn in salt and chalk on the floor. Black candles were lit, casting eerie shadows, as a brazier belched small puffs of smoke from burning resins and incense. He had memorized the incantation and placed the book upon the altar to the dark arts, leaving it open to page three hundred and twenty seven. His entire body under the school uniform and loose fitting black robes had been anointed with an ointment of essential oils of thyme, camellia and, of course, catnip (not because the ritual called for it, that was just for his own self edification). The preparations were done and all there was left to do was chant the incantations. Umehito Nekozawa was so going to kick butt when, as president of the Ouran High School Dark Arts Club, he showed up with his very own freshly-summoned demon servant.
 
000ooo000
 
It was a typical day in the great demon kingdom of Shin Makoku. The local ruler, the twenty seventh Maou, Yuuri Shibuya, just wanted to retire for the evening. He looked at his typical dark haired, dark eyed, Japanese features reflected in the mirror and wondered what he had done in a past life to deserve this.
 
“You know what you did,” his blonde companion scoffed. ”You turn your head at every pretty face you see, but really, Yuuri. Do I have to watch out for you flirting with the help now too?”
“Flirting… the help?” Yuuri asked, honestly confused. “Oh I get it !” he said, his face brightening, “This is about me opening the door for the maid, Doria, isn't it, Wolfram?” he asked, looking pleased with himself for solving the question of what the fiery blonde was mad about.
 
“So you admit to it. You cheater!” Wolfram started but Yuuri cut in.
 
“I wasn't cheating, Wolfram, she just had her hands full, so I opened the door for her, I was being helpful that's all.”
 
“And when is the last time you opened the door for me, even if my hands were full?” Wolfram asked, glaring angrily at him.
 
“Well that's different, you're a guy…” Yuuri knew he probably shouldn't have said that as soon as the words had left his lips. He cringed, waiting for Wolfram's explosive reply, and hoping the angry demon prince wouldn't accidentally set something on fire with his elemental magic.
 
“I know I'm a guy!” Wolfram shouted angrily “I am a guy who is really tired of you treating him no better than you do any other citizen in Shin Makoku. I am also your fiancé. You proposed to me remember?”
 
“Oh come on, Wolfram, you know that was an accident…” Yuuri replied almost out of habit after three years of this same dispute.
 
Wolfram narrowed his eyes at Yuuri, glaring dangerously. “Accident?! It wasn't an accident! You deliberately slapped my left cheek! You wimp! You agreed to a duel and won! Damn it! You're pathetic! I can't believe how you're trying to worm your way out of it! Are you … Yuuri?” The last word was uttered so differently from the rest of his tirade, it was almost a squeak. It got the other boy's attention immediately.
 
Wolfram looked terrified as he reached toward his fiancée. The demon prince was rapidly being enveloped in an inky black shadow. Yuuri leaped forward and grabbed the blond's desperately outstretched hand without a second thought as the darkness swallowed both of them. An oddly familiar sensation came over Yuuri as the gateway between Shin Makoku and Earth was opened by something other than his own elemental powers.
 
 
000ooo000
 
Meanwhile, in the distant village of Azumano…
 
 
A girl, who wasn't really a girl, was happily dusting a bookshelf when she suddenly stopped, dropping her feather duster, and standing straight up as her eyes went blank.
 
“Towa, what is it?” an elderly gentleman asked with concern from where he sat, reading the newspaper, on the sofa.
 
"I felt a disturbance in the force as if millions were crying out in fear and agony then suddenly silenced." Towa answered.
 
"Really?" Daiki Niwa asked the living artwork in the form of a girl, who was dressed in a gothic-Lolita maid outfit.
 
"No, but one of my brethren has been awakened," she said with a lively smile, and tweaking him on the nose, she picked up her work where she had left off.
 
“Do you know which artwork it is?” Daiki asked. “Any information would be helpful.” The last time Towa had acted this oddly was just before the incredibly powerful artwork known as the black wings was sealed.
 
“It's the hell gate, a spell book, created by Kuio Hikari over a hundred years ago. It was supposed to be able to harness the power of the black wings even though that work was still incomplete. He never used it. He died before he had a chance, and the book was damaged. The killing went unsolved but among the Hikari relatives of the time rumor has it that he was killed by one of the incomplete halves of the black wings. My bet is on the white wings. It seems more like Krad's style than Dark's,” she answered as she dusted the knickknacks on the shelf.
 
“Hmmm,” Daiki mused, “this could get very interesting. Towa, I need to know where that item is, can you track it?”
 
“It's what I do.” She giggled. “After all, I am the Towa no Shirube.” She stood up and spun around, slowly coming to a halt, facing the sofa, and pointing to the wall behind it. “The Hell-gate is in Japan…Tokyo…Bunkyo…Ouran private academy….left wing…third door after the fifth stairway,” she rattled off. “Want me to take you there?” the eternal guide asked sweetly.
 
“No thanks, Towa, I think I am far too old for this stuff now. I'll send the grandson,” Daiki said, rubbing his lower back absently in memory of the last time he had used the Niwa family's legendary thieving skills.
 
“Ok, suit yourself; maybe Daisuke will need me to guide him,” Towa said with a shrug before going back to her housework. “Ask him for me will you?” she added as Daiki left to tell Daisuke the news.
 
000ooo000
 
Yuuri felt the gateway closing and he was surrounded by the all too familiar feeling of being soaked to the bone in cold water. He sat up to find himself in a shallow mirror pool. He was nearly under the central fountain and a marble statue of a cherub, on a high pedestal, was pissing on his head. `That's just great,' he thought as he stood up out of the spray and cast about, looking for Wolfram. The pond was only ankle deep and shaped like a long rectangle, if the blonde were there, he should be able to see him, but he wasn't. Yuuri began to worry as he went over everything in his mind.
 
They were fighting, Wolfram was being sucked into some sort of a gateway, and he had grabbed his hand. He knew they both went through the gate together and it came to this place, wherever it was and Wolfram had vanished from his grasp somehow. He looked at his hands as if the answer could be found there, but nothing came to him except for the echo of a memory and the words “I will fall with you.” He looked at the water, there were a few water lilies floating on the surface, maybe he was unconscious and hidden under them. Yuuri began sweeping the water lilies out of his way, and calling, “Wolfram, where are you? Please answer me.” He was starting to get more and more worried as the minutes ticked by, but there was no answer and after a few more moments of waving water lilies around futilely, he remembered he had control of his water element on Earth as well as Shin Makoku. Yuuri quickly confirmed that no one was in the pond with him.
 
000ooo000
 
“That damn rich bastard,” Haruhi Fujioka mumbled, hurrying across the large grand campus of Ouran Private Academy. “Kyouya knows I have my last class all the way out in the farthest wing from the host club, but he will add to my debt to the club if I am late for my host duties.” Just as the honor student rounded the building opposite the third music room, she saw a bizarre sight. A strange boy in a black school uniform was shouting some sort of gibberish, and wading around, looking for something in the fountain. As she approached, she could see that he was soaking wet and he looked dazed. Whatever he was after, he must have slipped and hit his head while looking for it. If he had a concussion he should get medical help. Haruhi watched the strange boy stop and stand up. He took a deep breath and sighed in what may have been relief. Looking around wildly, he shouted something in the same gibberish again.
 
“Did you lose something in the fountain?” Haruhi asked to get his attention.
 
“Eh?” Yuuri asked, turning toward the voice. This person had spoken to him in Japanese so they must be in Japan on Earth; at least he had been right about that. Then he realized he had been splashing around in a fountain, shouting things in the Demon language for the past several minutes and whoever this guy was, he must think Yuuri was a nutcase. “I'm a little lost,” Yuuri said, blushing, and scratching the back of his head. “Uhm, where exactly am I?” he asked, hoping to at least have an idea of how far from his home he was.
 
“You are on the grounds of Ouran Private Academy, and you should probably get out of the fountain and dry off soon before you catch a cold,” Haruhi answered, smiling as the boy looked sheepishly at his feet in the water, before slogging his way out of the fountain.
 
“Who is this Haruhi? What are you doing with my daughter?” a voice called from behind them. Haruhi turned around to find the entire host club approaching fast and Tamaki, who had asked the question, was almost upon them.
 
“I don't know, he says he is lost,” Haruhi answered.
 
Yuuri was busily thinking to himself, `Ouran…Ouran... I got it! I am at that elite school for the super rich. How'd I end up here?' He looked around at the manicured grounds, and the fountain with the rose garden beyond. “Wow, this place is really nice for school. It reminds me of the gardens at Covenant castle, except without any of Cheri-sama's flowers,” he said without thinking. He caught a glimpse of blond hair out of the corner of his eye, and snapping his head around, he almost fell to his knees. “Shinou,” he breathed.
 
“I am sorry; I am not familiar with that place,” the blond said.
 
Yuuri stared at the tall blond boy in front of him. It took a moment for him to realize this was not Shinou back from the dead yet again, but somebody else. He shook his head ever so slightly. Whoever he was, he bore a striking resemblance to the first demon king. He almost wished it had been Shinou, at least then he would be able to just ask him where Wolfram was.
 
“What?” Tamaki asked uncomfortably as the strange boy stared at him.
 
“I think he fell and hit his head when he fell into the fountain,” Haruhi said to Tamaki in a quiet whisper as the other five members of the host club swarmed the area.
 
“Haru-chan, you were running late and when we looked out the window some strange guy was out here with you, so we decided to come see if you need any help,” said a short boy with honey-blond hair, who was hugging a pink stuffed rabbit to him with one arm, and dragging a much taller boy along by the sleeve with the other. The taller boy simply nodded.
 
Yuuri didn't have time to wonder what kind of help they thought she might need before he was being confronted by a boy with auburn hair and amber eyes, who was leaning directly into his face.
 
“Who is this guy?” He studied Yuuri from head to toe. “Is he a relative of yours?” he asked, finally backing off, and looking at the first guy that had helped Yuuri out of the fountain. “A cousin?” another voice said and Yuuri was confused to see the same boy standing on the other side of him, until the first moved to stand next to his double… `These guys must be twins,' he thought.
“He does look a little like you, Haruhi. Is he a long lost brother you never told us about?” the second twin continued
 
“What is the uniform he is wearing? It's not from this school,” the first twin observed.
 
“It's not very fashionable either. He must be from a commoner's school,” he decided “Haruhi, he isn't another commoner friend of yours is he?” they both asked in unison.
 
“Hikaru, Kaoru, be quiet or we won't get an answer anytime soon. We are already keeping our designations waiting,” said a tall boy with somewhat spiky black hair and a pair of glasses that reflected the light off of them so his eyes couldn't be seen just then. Yuuri instinctively knew he had to watch himself around this one. He reminded him too much of his friend Ken Murata.
 
Things were moving too fast for Yuuri to keep up and he latched on to the first question that came to mind… “Designations?” he asked, looking as lost as he felt.
 
The blond stepped up in front of him, holding a rose, and making wide sweeping gestures with it as he explained, “Ouran Private Academy is defined by two things; one, prestigious families and two, wealth. Prosperous people have much leisure time on their hands, therefore, the Ouran host club is about these handsome guys that have time, giving their hospitality to those lovely ladies who also have time on their hands… and indirectly profiting from it. It is an elegant game unique to this super rich school.” He finished with a flourish that sent petals spiraling off of the rose still in his hand.
 
“In other words, these guys entertain the girls of the school and profit from the sale of host club merchandise on their web site,” Haruhi said bluntly, grabbing Yuuri by the arm, and starting to lead him toward the school. “Now you need to go in and put on some dry clothes. How did you end up in Ouran's fountain anyway?”
 
“Well I was arguing with Wolfram and…” Suddenly it occurred to Yuuri that nobody was going to believe the truth. That he was half demon and the ruler of a magical kingdom he hadn't heard of before he was fifteen. That he could travel between the worlds through water and his own brother was the future king of the demons on Earth. That he had accidentally got engaged to Wolfram, due to his ignorance of the customs in Shin Makoku. Heck, he wouldn't even believe it if he weren't living it.
 
“He didn't push you into the fountain did he?” Haruhi asked, looking a bit alarmed.
 
“That is unacceptable,” Tamaki said loudly “Commoners brawling here on Ouran grounds. Well, it's just outrageous and to think my daughter could have been exposed to that sort of violence… Haruhi, as your father I order you to stay away from …”
 
“Tamaki, be quiet,” Kyouya snapped at him. Calling Haruhi his daughter around an outsider risked people finding out she was actually a girl. If that happened she would have to leave the host club and Kyouya didn't want that, none of them did. And not just because she still owed them money.
 
“But, Mommy…” Tamaki started but quickly stopped at the hard look Kyouya shot him. He crouched down near the back wall of the school to pout.
 
`Daughter? Mommy?' Yuuri thought, but quickly shoved it aside and tried to answer as truthfully as he dared. “No, Wolfram didn't push me; I was trying to help him. He has to be somewhere nearby, and I have got to find him.”
 
“Ok, so what does he look like? Maybe one of us has seen him,” Haruhi volunteered helpfully.
 
“He is about your size and height, Haruhi, and he has blond hair like that guy over there,” Yuuri said, gesturing toward the pouting prince of the host club. “He has these really amazingly green eyes, and he doesn't speak Japanese very well, he's not from around here,” Yuuri said, trying to think of anything else to add.
 
“And what was he wearing?” Kyouya asked.
 
Yuuri looked over and noticed he had been taking down the description as he talked. “Oh, we were getting ready for bed and he was…” `No! … yes… he was wearing his pink night gown,' Yuuri realized. `Well this is going to be embarrassing,' he thought.
“Oh, uhm… you would know if you had seen him,” Yuuri said, his face turning red.
 
“If you want us to help you find him, an accurate description of what he was wearing would help,” Kyouya said impatiently.
 
Yuuri cleared his throat. Not wanting to have to repeat it, he said clearly “Wolfram was wearing a pink nightgown.”
 
There was nothing for a beat, then…
 
“Haru-chan, you think Wolfram is an okama like Ranka-san?” Hunny asked brightly.
 
“Well, that's not exactly it,” Yuuri mumbled, feeling his cheeks heat up once again as he blushed some more.
 
Kyouya paused briefly in his writing, to push his glasses further up his nose but said nothing.
 
Tamaki was living in his own inner mind theater where Haruhi was dressed cutely in a frilly pink nightie, and dancing around with his favorite plush teddy bear. He was almost drooling, and mumbling quietly to himself, when the twins went back to get him since the rest of them had kept walking toward the school.
 
 
000ooo000
 
Kyouya stopped in the hallway just outside the door to the third music room and pulled out his cell phone. “I will be right in as soon as I call the commander of my family's police force and get them to look for your missing friend,” he said, nodding to Yuuri as he was rushed past into the host club.
 
As they enter the third music room, Tamaki seemed to suddenly come to life, giving orders and directions to each of the host club members “Mori, Hunny, to your stations; the cake cabinet may now be opened.”
 
This was followed by Hunny jumping up and down, clapping his hands, and yipping “Yay!” before darting off to the back corner of the room where his tall stoic friend, Mori, was already setting dishes on a table.
 
“Hikaru, Kaoru, take Yuuri back to the changing room and give him a dry uniform to wear. Then hurry back; we shouldn't leave the princesses waiting.” He waved at the female students that were streaming in through the door even as he spoke.
 
“Yes, my lord,” they chimed together, grabbing Yuuri by either arm, and dragging him away.
 
“Haruhi, go make some of that commoner coffee, we only know how to do the fresh ground type,” he said, pointing at Ouran's only scholarship student.
 
 
“Haruhi,” Kyouya added, looking up from where he was already typing something into the ever present laptop computer of his, “You were also late to the club today. You will have to have twenty more designations added on for it. You still owe quite a bit for that vase you broke.”
 
 
“Yes, Kyouya,” Haruhi said, knowing better than to argue with the shadow king of the host club. She went off to make some instant coffee mumbling under her breath about damn rich bastards…
 
A message notice blinked on the screen of Kyouya's laptop computer. “Pardon me, ladies,” he said with a gallant smile “This is important business for this club that I can't put off, I will only be a moment.” With that he took his laptop over to a more private area to read his message.
 
From: ComHiwatariS@Ootorimedical.com
Subject: re: Shibuya Yuuri
 
Sir, what little information I could find on the Shibuya person and his family immediately is this:
 
Shibuya Yuuri, age 18, youngest son of Shouma and Miko Shibuya. Currently enrolled in Koishikawa High School where he makes average grades and has less than perfect attendance. Was once kicked off of a local baseball team for having an altercation with the coach. Is not a member of any known gangs or organized criminal factions, has no known close associates. There was no mention of anyone named Wolfram in any records in the area, perhaps he is from out of town, or a fictitious person this Yuuri is using to throw you off of what he is really doing at Ouran.
 
Shibuya Shori, age 24, eldest son of Shouma and Miko Shibuya. Graduate of Azabu High school and Tokyo University where he graduated top of his class. An ambitious man, he is currently running for office in Tokyo and has a fair chance of winning with his current campaign garnering approval from business leaders and laymen alike. Likewise, he has no known connections to gang or organized crime factions.
 
Shibuya Shouma; not much is known of him, graduate of Heide University with average grades. Currently works for a major conglomeration in a low level capacity. No criminal record, no known ties to gangs or organized crime. He is a member of some sort of private club known as the Mazouku along with many of the higher ranking businessmen in the conglomerate he works for.
 
Shibuya Miko; even less is known of her, although, she may have placed in a fencing competition several years ago.
 
Do you want me to keep digging or is this preliminary information enough for your needs?
From the desk of:
Ootori private police force,
Commander Satoshi Hiwatari
 
`So. Shibuya Shori is your brother... Yuuri, you just became someone important to know,' Kyouya thought as he closed the laptop and made his way back to the girls he was entertaining.
 
 
000ooo000
 
Yuuri toweled himself off, thinking it was too bad he couldn't use his control of the water element to just shed the water off of him, but he wasn't that good at it yet. He was still a bit dazed and out of ideas as to where to look for Wolfram, and he was pretty sure they had both made it through the mysterious gateway that had sucked them from the great demon kingdom to Earth, but he had no idea where the other boy had ended up. Yuuri was really worried about him. He decided the only thing he could do for now was to petition the current king of the Mazoku demons residing on Earth, Bob, and see if he could help locate the demon prince. Yuuri's older brother Shouri might be able to help him with that since he was being groomed to be next in line as the Earth Maou when Bob finally retires.
 
Yuuri put on the Ouran blue blazer and black slacks, but kept his black thong underwear on. He was used to being damp after years of transporting back and fourth to Earth through various bodies of water and the official undergarment of Shin Makoku would cause too many unwanted comments if those twins were to find it in his wet laundry. He stepped out of the dressing room, looking quite a bit like Haruhi actually.
 
“Are you certain you aren't related to the Fujioka family?” one of the twins asked.
 
“You really do resemble Haruhi,” the other added.
 
“Not as far as I know,” Yuuri answered.
 
“What were you and your friend doing here at Ouran anyway?”
 
“Well, uh…” Yuuri started to reply when one of the twins cut him off.
 
“What school are you from and why do they have such ugly uniforms?”
 
“Oh, well…” Yuuri realized his black maou outfit did still resemble his school uniform from when he first arrived in the other realm. How best to explain; that was a good question. “I go to a different, private school; it's pretty far from here,” Yuuri said lamely.
 
“If your parents are that wealthy, why didn't you apply here?” one twin asked.
 
“Or did you?” the other added. “He could have fallen short of the standard,” he finished with a shrug.
 
“Well, we have to get to work,” the other twin said, looping an arm over Yuuri's shoulders, and leaning against him as they emerged from the dressing area.
 
Hikaru saw the pointed look his brother shot his way and quickly slipped into his role as the dominant half of the forbidden brotherly love act. “Kaoru, how could you?!” he said, pulling the younger twin away from Yuuri in a swift motion.
 
Yuuri, caught unawares, was totally confused. The other boy had made him uncomfortable, and after years of being glomped by his advisor, Gunter, not to mention followed, harassed, and pushed around by his accidental fiancé, Wolfram, that was saying something. Maybe it was just that it reminded him that Wolfram was currently missing and he had no idea where to start looking for him. Or maybe he was just more used to the way Gunter would fling himself at him crying, “your majesty!” and this more subtle attention seemed too personal and wholly unwelcome from a stranger, especially a guy.
 
“I turn my back for a few moments and here you are with some stranger!” Hikaru continued. “You know I want you to only look at me,” he said, gently tilting his twin's face up to look him in the eye.
 
Kaoru blushed lightly at the attention, glancing away and back. He looked up at his brother through his thick lashes and said, “Oh, Hikaru, you know I could never find anyone that would take your place.” This was followed by squeals from a group of girls that had flocked over to them as soon as the drama started.
 
“Just as one else could replace you in my life, Kaoru,” Hikaru said, embracing his twin to more squeals from the crowd. “Now we should go entertain our guests, right brother?” he said after a long moment, the whole quarrel seeming to have been forgotten.
 
Yuuri stood there, trying to figure out what had just happened. He had been able to almost lip-sync the first part of their argument; it sounded so familiar he almost shouted, “I am not a wimp!” out of habit. It felt weird, and it made his chest ache a little when he realized he was expecting Wolfram to come in from nowhere to yell at him too. Then again, why were these guys, twin brother even, acting so… gay with each other? There was something truly strange going on.
By now the host club was in full swing and he could see a sea of butter yellow dresses milling about the room. Tamaki was flirting shamelessly with a group of young women, who seemed to be enjoying the attention. The twins still seemed to be flirting with each other… but again the girls around them squealed with excitement and approval of their `forbidden brotherly love.' The tall dark haired boy, whose name he hadn't quite caught, seemed to be waiting on the shorter boy, Hunny. They each had their own group of girls but all sat in the same area so he could get Hunny pieces of cake and fill everyone's tea cups. Kyouya was engaged in pleasantries with a handful of girls on a nearby couch. And Haruhi had two girls, he was talking to about politics over tea.
 
“I hope he wins the election,” Yuurioverheard one girl say. “He has some really good ideas.”
 
“I don't know. I hear his family is a little strange,” the other girl stated with a snobbish sniff.
 
Haruhi posed a question, “But still, even if his family were a bit unconventional, wouldn't it be better to judge his merits as a mayoral candidate by his ideas and personal track record than by his relatives?”
 
“Excuse me,” Yuuri interrupted “You have been really very nice to me so far, but can I ask one more favor? Do you know where there is a phone I can borrow?”
 
Suddenly, there were no fewer than a half dozen cell phones being held out to him. With a nod and a few words of gratitude, he grabbed the closest, which happened to be Haruhi's and dialed the number for his elder brother, Shori.