Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ Ouran High School Host Club: The Lyrical Beauty ❯ Chapter 8: Hikari Cries--The Truth is Told ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 8: Hikari cries—The Truth is Told
The temperature rose outside indicating that summer was approaching. Soon, the students would be on summer break. A few weeks had passed since the Lobelia girls came for the arts festival. Hikari's heart filled with hatred towards them. Not because of the fact that Benio was trying to kiss her and take her away from Ouran, but because they ruined her dad's play. Every time that she saw the script of Dancing Under the Silver Moon, she would remember that dreadful day.
Luckily, their trip to the beach was postponed due to some mysterious circumstance that Kyouya and Tamaki were forbidden to say. Hikari couldn't be bothered with the thought of going to the beach…with six boys in a bathing suit. That would be too embarrassing for her.
As she tried to knock the idea out of her head, she accidentally crashed into another person. Hikari was about to apologize, until she knew who it was.
“Ah, Niwazaki-san, here for the host club again?” She asked. Hikari stood up and brushed the dust off her uniform.
“It's none of your business,” Hikari replied. She was about to enter the third music room when the girl grabbed her shoulder.
“I warned you not to go anywhere near them.” Hikari looked deep into her eyes. She was searching for the number one reason that this girl was bothering her with her presence.
“Are you perhaps jealous?” Hikari asked. The girl's eyes filled with rage. I guess I guessed correctly, she thought proudly to herself. The girl was about to scream with anger when the door opened from behind Hikari. A hand pulled her in and the door closed shut. Hikari looked up to see Mori-sempai carrying her far away from the door.
“Thanks, Mori-sempai,” she said as he placed her down.
“What was that about?” Haruhi asked. Hikari dropped her head.
“That girl who threatened me when the arts festival began found me and threatened me again,” she said, “I feel that I've been getting a lot of those.”
“That's because you work too hard,” Kaoru said.
“And you're living with crazy people,” Hikaru added.
“And Hiri-chan has to keep her writing a secret,” Honey said in third person (for some reason).
“It sounds like you need a break,” Haruhi said. Hikari sighed and fell onto the couch.
“I wish there was some way to get her off my back.” Suddenly, there was an evil laughter that began to fill the room. It sent a shiver down Hikari's spine. She noticed that Tamaki turned pale, the twins hugged each other tightly, Honey climbed up on Mori's shoulders, and Kyouya was…Kyouya. Hikari looked at the front door and noticed that it had changed its shape. It looked like an old, creepy door that had carvings that scared people half to death. It slightly opened and a guy with oily black hair peeked through. Hikari wondered why he was using a cat puppet that would probably forever haunt her in her dreams.
“I hear that someone wants someone else out of the way,” he said in a voice that sent many shivers down Hikari's spine. The puppet began to move in a funny way, making her cling onto the nearest pillow near her.
“Is that right, Beelzenef? I believe that we have some cursed things in our Black Magic Club.”
“Ne-Nekozawa-sempai,” Tamaki said with caution, “Can you come back another time?” Nekozawa-sempai chuckled an evil laugh.
“If that's what you wish for, Suou-san.” He was about to close the door, when Kaoru opened the door and Hikaru flashed a flashlight at Nekozawa-sempai. He screamed like the wicked witch from the west and ran away. Tamaki screamed and began to shake with fear.
“Why did you guys do that?” he asked. The twins shrugged.
“We were bored.” Tamaki began to pull on his hair.
“DO YOU KNOW THAT YOU MIGHT CURSE THE CLUB FOREVER NOW?” He asked. The twins shrugged and looked over at Haruhi and Hikari. Suddenly, a thought entered their mind.
“Hey,” they both said. The two girls looked over.
“Remember after the Lobelia encounter,” Hikaru began.
“We were going to go to the beach?” Kaoru finished. Hikari swallowed while Haruhi tried to remember. Once she did, Hikari noticed fear in her eyes. The two looked at the twins and shook their heads.
“Well we remembered,” they said together. They grabbed the two girls and lead them to the back room. Inside were rows and rows of different bathing suits to choose from.
“This again?” Haruhi protested. The twins laced their hands together.
“The first time we were able to see Haruhi in her bathing suit, Tono gave her a huge sweatshirt to cover her bare skin,” Hikaru began.
“The second time,” Kaoru picked up, “Tono invited our customers to join us. Therefore, we weren't able to see Haruhi in her cute bikini that we gave her.” Hikari noticed that Haruhi was not enjoying this at all.
“It's okay, Haruhi,” she said, “I'm sure that there's some way for you to be comfortable at the beach.”
“That's what we're saying,” The twins said together. They stepped back and showed the different selection of bathing suits.
“Can't I just wear shorts and a T-shirt?” Haruhi asked. The twins shook their head.
“Here, I'll help pick one out for you,” Hikari offered.
“Fine,” she said, “I trust your judgment better than theirs.” They began to look around for a bathing suit that would be right for Haruhi to wear. Considering Haruhi's structure, we don't want anything flashy or sexy. Something that can show who Haruhi is. Something like… Hikari saw a bathing suit that fit her description. It was a tankini with thick straps over the shoulder. It was cut as if it were made for a little girl: not to reveal much cleavage. It was frilled until it ended at the hips, which was where Hikari saw a frilly skirt for the bottom half.
“And the color of red, orange, and yellow is perfect for Haruhi's personality,” Hikari said aloud. She waved her hand and began to call out Haruhi's name. This place is like a maze, she thought to herself. Haruhi eventually found her.
“What do you think of this?” Hikari asked her. Haruhi looked at it. “I know it's not idealistic, but it doesn't reveal much, it's comfortable, and the colors are great for your personality.” Haruhi lifted the tank top of the bathing suit and saw another plane yellow tank top under it.
“I didn't notice that,” Hikari said, “I think that this extra piece made it perfect for you.” Haruhi stared at it for a long time before speaking.
“Let me at least try it on,” she said. Hikari nodded in agreement. “You're just as excited as the twins are,” Haruhi pointed out. Hikari shook her head.
“No, I'm just trying to save you from the suffering. You should have seen what Hikaru and Kaoru picked out.”
“I know,” Haruhi said in a displeased tone, “It's the pink bikini with frills, right?” Hikari smiled.
“Something like that,” she said. After minutes of rustling, Hikari was aloud to see.
“I'm sorry to say, Haruhi, but that bathing suit is perfect for you.” Haruhi looked at herself.
“I dunno,” she said doubtfully, “Isn't the skirt supposed to cover more?” Hikari shook her head.
“It's easier to swim when your legs are bare,” she said.
“But the guys have the option of wearing long shorts,” Haruhi protested.
“Yes, but guys also have upper body strength. Therefore, they use their arms in the water.” Haruhi looked at herself some more, then at Hikari.
“Aren't you going to find a bathing suit?” she asked.
“Do I have to?” she asked. Haruhi began to pout.
“If I'm doing this, you're doing this,” she said. Hikari shrugged.
“Alright, alright,” Hikari said leaving the dressing room. When she did, she saw the twins looking at her with an evil grin on their face.
“Hikari,” Hikaru said, “May I suggest a bikini for you?” Hikari shook her head in fear about what Hikaru might do.
“Now now, Hikaru, let Hikari choose her own clothes,” Kaoru said in her defense. Hikaru placed a pouted look on his face.
“Fine,” he said, “But under one condition.” Hikari suddenly found herself in the same position that she was in when Hikaru first held her. He went behind her, placed one arm around her waist while his other hand lifted her chin. Why is Hikaru doing this! Hikari screamed in her mind.
“My one condition is that you pick a bathing suit that fits you feminine features,” He purred in her ear. Hikari felt her face turn completely red as she gently pushed him away.
“I know that,” she said walking through the maze. I really wish that he wouldn't do that. Hikari began to walk through the maze thinking about what kind of bathing suit would be best.
“Well,” she said aloud, “A bikini sounds good, but I don't want one that reveals a lot. I'll be surrounded by six boys.” That thought made her body tremble for a moment.
At the corner of her eye, Hikari saw a bikini that fit her description: It was a light blue with green at every rim of the suit. It had two solid straps over the shoulder; showed a little more cleavage than Haruhi's, but she could manage that. The bottoms were simple boy-cut shorts that matched the top. She took it, tried it on, showed only Haruhi (since she forced Haruhi into this), and concealed it from the rest of the club. Hikaru and Tamaki were not pleased by the decision.
“I wanna see Haruhi in her bathing suit,” Tamaki said rolling around like a little kid. Hikaru just crossed his arms and pouted. Kaoru laughed.
“Tono, I thought that you never wanted your daughter to show her bare skin to others until she was married.” Tamaki stopped rolling and rushed over to Hikari.
“Of course,” he said, “I will not allow any young gentleman to lay his eyes on my precious daughter.”
“Since when was Hikari your daughter?” Hikaru asked. Yeah, I wanna know why too, Hikari thought.
“It was decided before the Cinderella ball,” Tamaki said, “Haruhi is now your mother, I your father, Kyouya your uncle, and the rest of you my children.” Hikaru rubbed his chin.
“It would be odd if one of your sons were dating your precious daughter,” he said. Hikari shot a glare at him, but he avoided it. Tamaki froze.
“So Tono doesn't mind Haruhi showing off her bare skin?” Kaoru asked. Tamaki ran towards her and placed his hand on her shoulder.
“She's my wife,” he said, “Of course I don't mind.” Hikari could feel Haruhi's mental vibes screaming “I'M NOT YOU WIFE!” and “GET ME OUT OF HERE!”
“Tamaki-sempai,” Hikari said trying to think of a way to get Haruhi out of his clutches. “Where is this beach that we're going to?”
“We're going to my villa in Okinawa,” Kyouya said, “We did so last year.”
“Kyou-chan has a private beach too,” Honey said, “There lots of shells to dig up.” Mori-sempai nodded.
“So when do we go?” Hikari asked. Tamaki finally let Haruhi go and spun around.
“We'll let you know in advance,” he said. I don't like that sound of that, Hikari thought.
[The Friday that break begins]
“I guess we never got on that beach trip,” Hikari said to Haruhi as the two left the school.
“I'm glad,” Haruhi said with relief. “I really don't want to go to the beach with them again, even if it was for an overnight.” Suddenly, Hikari felt herself being picked up. She tried to look behind, but the voices spoke for themselves.
“Target,” said Hikaru.
“Captured,” Kaoru finished. Haruhi and Hikari looked in fear. A long, black limousine pulled up towards them.
“Why this again?” Haruhi cried. The tinted window rolled down and Tamaki appeared.
“Good, take them away.” The twins saluted and dragged them away.
Hikari and Haruhi were pushed into another limousine that lacked seat, but had lots of clothing instead.
“This is a large limo,” Hikari said in amazement. Haruhi grabbed Hikari's shoulder and pointed into the darkness ahead.
“ARE YOU KIDDING ME?” Hikari screamed. The maids appeared and started to dress them.
[At the beach Saturday morning]
Hikari and Haruhi stepped out of the limousine in their bathing suits and cover-ups. Hikari had a simple, long off-the-shoulder light blue and green dress, so it matched her bathing suit. Haruhi had a similar dress with different colors and the sleeves were on her shoulders.
“I can't believe that they did this,” Haruhi said in disappointment. Hikari didn't respond. She was looking at the beautiful beach that was before her. A clear blue ocean that sparkled from the sun's reflection, the soft white sand under her feet, a cool breeze bringing some of the ocean water against her face.
“Hikari?” Haruhi asked. Hikari turned to her, still in a daze from the scenery.
“Have you ever been to the beach before?” she asked. Hikari nodded.
“Last time I was at the beach, I was with my parents. The Niwazaki family hates beaches and think that they're a waste of time.” Haruhi followed her gaze at the ocean.
“Yeah,” she said in agreement, “It's always a beautiful sight.”
A sharp, hitting sound broke their attention away from the ocean.
“HYPER STARLIGHT KICK!” Screamed a familiar voice. Hikari and Haruhi saw a beach ball fly though the air. Laughter burst out after it had landed. The two girls walked onto the beach and picked up the ball.
“Haruhi! Hikari!” Tamaki screamed. He was running and waving at them, until he tripped and slid the rest of the way.
“Are you alright, Sempai?” Haruhi asked. Tamaki stood and ran his fingers through his hair.
“Of course I'm alright, since you're here.” Hikari noticed Tamaki turning a bit red as he looked at Haruhi.
I think it's best if I leave them alone for a bit. She walked along the beach shore and, eventually, saw Hikaru running towards her.
“Well, look what the ocean brought,” he said, “I didn't think you'd pick that suit.” Hikari shrugged.
“Well, it was the only one that I felt comfortable wearing,” She said. Hikaru walked over and lifted her chin.
“I'm hoping that we'll get to see you…without the cover-up,” He said in a velvet voice. Hikari held her breath. Whenever Hikaru did this to her, her mind became fuzzy and nothing seemed to make sense to her. She soon felt his hand crawl under the cover-up onto her bare back. His hands were warm, but her back must have been on fire.
“I'm not here to be your little toy,” Hikari said pushing Hikaru back. He smiled.
“We'll see about that. I'm dragging you into the ocean whether you like it or not.” Tamaki and Haruhi met up with Hikari and Hikaru and the four met up with the rest of the gang.
Hikari hadn't had this much fun at the beach since she was a little girl. She sat in the sand and remembered swimming with Natasha, her mom taking pictures, building sand-castles with her dad, and more. She brought her legs to her chest and stared into the sea. Mom…Dad… She suddenly heard someone coming towards her.
“Mori-sempai,” she said. He gave her a drink and sat down next to her. “Thanks,” she said. The two sat there for some time while Hikari played with her drink in her hands.
“Thinking about your parents?” He finally asked. Hikari felt her heart jump with the sudden noise.
“Yeah, I was thinking about the last time we went to the beach.”
“Ah.” The silence came over them again. She faintly heard Honey swimming in the see with a floaty around his waist, waving hello.
“You've been doing well,” Mori said again. Hikari didn't understand what he meant by that. “You've been living with horrible people, you have to write in secret, it must be hard.” Hikari giggled and nodded.
“It's been very difficult,” she said.
“But you seem happy.” Hikari turned her head. “You have Haruhi as a good friend, Kaoru too. Mitsukuni wants to keep you happy, Tamaki and Kyouya take care of you.” He then looked at her directly in her eyes for the first time. “And Hikaru seems to rescue you whenever you need him.” Hikari's eyes widen.
“Wh-what are you talking about, Mori-sempai,” She stuttered. She stood up, taking off her cover-up.
“I'm gonna swim. Thanks for the drink,” she said and ran into the water. As she was swimming, she bumped into Hikaru.
Maybe Mori-sempai was right, she thought. Maybe Hikaru…is always there when I want him… And as if he read her mind, he brought her into his arms and held her close. Hikari saw Mori-sempai smile as if he'd proved his point.
[That night]
Kyouya's villa was bigger than Hikari expected. Maids on the left and butlers on the right greeted the eight guests. Eight people are staying in this big house? Hikari asked.
“Everyone gets their own room,” Kyouya said as they entered his GRANDE lobby. The chandelier above Hikari shone brightly, making her cover her eyes.
“It doesn't get easier,” Haruhi commented. Kyouya explained where the rooms were on a map and where they would be staying.
“This way, no one can get lost if they get sick,” he said adjusting his glasses. Haruhi looked away from embarrassment.
“Kyou-chan, when do we eat?” Honey asked.
“In a while, but lets get cleaned up.” Hikari agreed, considering the salt water from the ocean made her sticky.
Her Room was larger than the room she lived in with the Niwazaki family. There was a bed with and exquisite dark wood frame and canopy. There was a fire place right across from it and a coffee table with a huge arm next to it.
“Wow,” was all Hikari could say. She took her bag to the arm chair and went to a dresser that she didn't see before. It matched the bed frame, but seemed a little dusty. Hikari opened one of the drawers and saw something that looked like a photo. She picked it up and flipped it over the other side.
“No,” she said. She saw a picture of a little blonde haired girl holding hands with a little black haired boy with glasses. “That blonde haired girl…” She looked closer at the picture. She had honey brown eyes, like Natasha's.
“But isn't Kyouya-sempai too young to be Natasha's childhood boyfriend?” she asked herself, but deep down she knew the answer. Kyouya is four years younger than Natasha…and he acts older than his real age. That's probably why Natasha goes silent whenever his name is brought up. Kyouya was the boyfriend she had when she was younger. She placed the picture back. She left her room and ran to the dinning hall.
I'm gonna let them know that I'm not feeling well and that I'm going to bed early. As she approached the doors, she heard voices speaking.
“WHAT?” Hikaru screamed. Hikari froze in front of the door, “Kaoru, you liked Haruhi?”
“Yes, I did. You liked her too once, right Hikaru?” Hikaru hesitated.
“Yeah, but that's different now.” Hikari smiled.
“But do you only like Hikari because she's similar to Haruhi?” Kyouya's voice asked. Hikari drew a sharp breath and held it. She didn't hear him answer “No, I like Hikari for who she is.” Instead, she heard a fist land on the table.
“Hikaru, if you don't think of Hikari as a person, but only as a Haruhi substitute, then you better not lead her on,” Kaoru said.
“Why do you guys care? And how do you know?”
“Because, we see the way you are around her,” Honey said, “Hika-chan, you're always treating her differently than everyone else. Although you tease her, you're secretly helping her.”
“So you're prying into our personal lives?” Hikaru yelled. Hikari held onto her necklace. “It's true that Hikari and Haruhi are alike, practically identical.”
“But?” Kaoru asked. Hikaru didn't respond.
“Everyone likes Haru-chan,” Honey said with delight, “But I think that she would be the perfect match with Tama-chan.”
Everyone…likes Haruhi… Hikari felt her legs beginning to shake. So people only see me as another Haruhi, huh? She pushed herself off the wall and ran out the front door.
[Haruhi and Tamaki enter the dining hall]
“Alright, let the feast begin!” Tamaki said with joy. Haruhi looked around.
“Wait, where's Hikari?” she asked.
“Wasn't she in her room?” Kaoru asked. Hikaru stood up.
“I'll get her,” he said. Kyouya leaned back and looked out the window.
After a few minutes have passed, Hikaru burst opened the doors.
“Hikari's missing,” he yelled. Everyone was in shock.
“Is she really?” Haruhi asked. Hikaru nodded, leaning on his knees and panting from all the running.
“I went into her room and I didn't see her.” Kyouya stood up and went to his laptop, which was charging on a separate table.
“I'll check the security cameras,” he said calmly.
“Why would Hiri-chan leave us?” Honey asked. Mori leaned on his hand and looked at Hikaru.
“Maybe because she over heard our conversation,” he said. Only Haruhi and Honey were able to hear him.
“What conversation?” Haruhi asked. Honey told Haruhi about how everyone liked her in someway, but now they have loved her as a fellow member of their club.
“What was Hikaru's response?” she asked him. Honey held onto his bunny tighter.
“Hika-chan didn't say anything.” Haruhi felt a switch go off in her mind. She rushed over to Tamaki.
“Sempai, I know where she is,” she said.
“Where, Haruhi?” he asked, but she shook her head.
“I have to go alone,” she said, running out the door. As she was leaving, she heard Kyouya running in a different direction.
[Back to Hikari]
Hikari sat on top of a big rock that she had climbed earlier that day. She rested her head on her knees and looked at her necklace.
“Are people only seeing me as a replacement or a prize to show off?” she asked, “I thought that everyone liked me for who I was. Mom, dad, if you were here, I'd call you and ask you to take me home.” The thought of her old home made her throat become tight. Oh no, she thought, I'm not gonna cry, I haven't cried since they left me. She took deep breaths and looked at the sky.
“This is a stupid thing to be upset about,” she said aloud, “So what if they think that I'm another Haruhi. That's their lose.” Hikari stood up and clenched her fists. “I've been through worst,” she kept saying.
“Hikari!” Hikari looked below and saw Haruhi in her pink frilly dress. Haruhi's dad packed for her, I guess, she said. She waved down below while Haruhi ran up the stony steps.
“Haruhi, what're you doing out here?” Hikari asked.
“I was gonna ask you the same question,” she said. Hikari was taken back. “Mori-sempai said that you might have overheard their conversation and left.” Hikari laughed.
“Nothing can escape Mori-sempai's ears,” she said. Haruhi straightened herself up after catching her breath.
“Mori-sempai said that you might have overheard them talking about me.” Hikari stopped laughing. “Are you serious? You ran away because they all liked me?” Hikari tried to smile.
“Hikari, that was last year. I was the only girl that showed them that there's more to the world than just money. That's probably why they liked me, but their opinion of me is different now. They see me as a family member of their club, as their mother, who showed them the way.” Hikari looked up at Haruhi, who was smiling.
“This club is a family. Sempai loves us all. Everyone loves the club. And everyone loves you.” Hikari felt her body freezing in place.
“They all want to take care of you, but at the same time respect you. The only person who would do anything to keep you happy would be-”
“Hikaru,” Hikari finished. Haruhi took her hands.
“Now let's head back. Everyone's worried about you.” Haruhi guided her back to the house, but Hikari felt that her scolding wasn't over yet.
“WHERE WERE YOU?” Hikaru screamed. Hikari jumped back from the sudden noise.
“Knock it off, Hikaru,” Haruhi said in her defense. “She just misunderstood things, that's all.”
“That's no excuse to run away like that,” he yelled. Kaoru tried to hold him back, but he jerked his shoulder away. “I thought that you'd be better than that. Leaving because of false assumptions.” He began to shake with anger.
“I'm sorry Hikaru,” Hikari said. Hikaru placed his hands in his pockets and began to walk away.
“Save it,” was all he said. The five gentlemen stood in amazement that Hikaru just walked away again.
“I'm sorry, everyone,” Hikari said bowing, “It's just that I want people to like me for me and not because I'm like Haruhi.”
“That's alright,” Tamaki said hugging her, “We're here to protect you, not hurt you.” She giggled.
“Can we please eat now?” Kyouya said out of annoyance. Everyone went into the dining room and began to eat.
[After midnight]
Hikari looked at the picture of Natasha and Kyouya under the moonlight. She looks really happy in this picture, Hikari thought. She heard a knocking on her door, which made her jump out of her seat. She quickly rushed over to the draw, placed the picture in, and closed it shut.
“Come in,” Hikari said walking away from the dresser. She saw a boy with auburn hair enter her room. His eyes shone in the moonlight.
“Kaoru,” Hikari said, a little surprised.
“Disappointed?” he asked. He looked at Hikari. “That's what you sleep in?” he asked. Hikari shook her head.
“Haruhi's dad gave it to Haruhi to give to me. I think it works well as a night gown.” Kaoru chuckled.
“Yes, it does.” Hikari couldn't help but feel that there was a different atmosphere around him.
“Umm…Kaoru,” she began, “What brings you to my room this late at night?” Kaoru sat on her bed and brought up a knee to lean on.
“Hikaru can sometimes be heartless. I didn't like the way he treated you,” He said. Hikari relaxed a little.
“Yeah, I didn't think that he would really be upset, even after I apologized.” Kaoru placed his knee down and looked at her some more.
“Hikaru doesn't think as much as I do.”
“That's true,” Hikari said sitting next to Kaoru, “Hikaru is noisy and a little stubborn sometimes.”
“So why are you with him?” Kaoru asked. “Why are you with a guy that's immature?” Hikari looked at the ground.
“I'm not actually sure of that myself,” Hikari answered.
“Why don't you switch over to me?” Before Hikari could even respond, Kaoru held her back and gently pushed her down onto the bed. He placed his face close to hers, their noses touching.
“I look like Hikaru,” he said, “And I'm more sensible than he is. I've got more to offer.” Hikari shut her eyes tightly. But he's not Hikaru, she said in her mind. Her eyes flew open, suddenly seeing her answer.
“…But…you're not Hikaru,” she said. Kaoru pulled back a bit. “You and Hikaru are completely different, even though you look the same. To me, you're more of a brother that I never had rather than a boyfriend, which is what Hikaru is perfect for.” Kaoru pulled back and began to laugh. Hikari sat up and stared in amazement.
“I'm sorry,” Kaoru said, “I did not expect you to say that.”
“What do you mean?” Hikari asked.
“I know you'll hate me for saying this, but I was testing you.” Hikari felt her chest become stiff with anger.
“YOU WERE TOYING WITH MY FEELINGS?!” she screamed. Kaoru placed his hand over her mouth.
“Shh,” he said, “I don't want you to wake up the whole house.” Hikari took his hand away from her mouth.
“Kaoru, what's got into you?” she asked. Kaoru leaned against the bed post and rubbed the back of his neck.
“For starters,” he began, “I'm a little surprised that you left after you heard that conversation. That wasn't like you.” Hikari saw about to speak, but Kaoru put his hand up.
“But I now understand why you did that. You felt that we're using you as a substitute for Haruhi. You know that you're like our toy, mine and Hikaru's.” Hikari nodded.
“That's why I had to do this,” Kaoru continued, “I had to see if you were prepared to continue to be our toy, especially Hikaru's, since you're together.” Hikari rubbed her arm, not knowing what to say. Kaoru smiled and placed his head against hers.
“When I went back into our room, Hikaru was so angry. He just held his heads in his hands. He really cares for you. Its true that Haruhi showed us a lot, but you're showing us more.” Hikari shook her head.
“Now you're just saying that,” she said. Kaoru shook his head.
“I think that you and Hikaru should patch things up.” Hikari's door suddenly opened. And Hikaru stood leaning on his arm against the wall facing them.
“So you're with Kaoru now?” he said. Hikari felt anger coming from his eyes. Kaoru winked at Hikari and whispered “Be honest,” and left the room.
Hikaru put both of his hands in his pockets and leaned against the bed post. Hikari stared at the bed not knowing what to say first.
“You want to tell me something?” Hikaru said in a mocking tone. That hurt Hikari a lot thinking that he's mad at her.
“If you're thinking that there's something between me and Kaoru, there isn't anything going on between us,” she said. Hikaru huffed.
“Then why were you two together alone in the dark?” he asked.
“He wanted to know why I left…and to see if I really was serious with you.” Hikaru banged his head against the post.
“Hikaru, I'm a serious girl who has so many problems and issues. When I like someone, I like them and only them. You've been there for me when I wanted, even when I try to admit I didn't want you. When I heard that you might like me because I was like Haruhi, that hurt me. I've been used for the past six years, I couldn't handle being used by people I actually care about.” Hikari took a deep breath.
I will not cry. I can't cry. I haven't in six years. Hikaru wrapped his arm around her and placed his chin over her head.
“I believe you,” he said, “I want you to believe me. I'm not perfect and I'm not as sensible as Kaoru. But that's why I like you…a lot. I learn from you.” Hikari swallowed her sorrow, getting rid of the want to cry.
“So…when was the last time you cried?” he asked. Hikari's felt her eyes growing wide.
“Wh-what are you talking about?” she said.
“I mean, was the last time you cried when your parents died?”
“Of course not.” Hikaru lifted her head and looked deep into her eyes.
“I beg to differ,” he said, “Your eyes tell me everything. Another thing I learned from you.” He held her again. Tighter than last time.
“It's okay to cry…I've cried too.” Hikari tried to hold the tears back, but she couldn't. Hot, salty tears streamed down her face, one right after another. Hikaru pressed his lips against her eyes and slowly went to her lips. All she remembered before she fell asleep was Hikaru kissing her lips and holding her close.
[Outside in the hallway]
“Hikari hadn't cried in six years?” Kaoru whispered.
“That's right. This broke the record,” Haruhi said. “Crying is a good thing. I learned that. She should too.” She turned to Kaoru with a puzzled look.
“Why are we here anyway?” she asked. Kaoru laughed and the two left Hikaru and Hikari alone.
[Next morning]
Everyone was heading back to the car, but Haruhi stopped Hikari.
“Is everything alright between you and Hikaru?” she asked. Hikari nodded. “Good. I hope you cried to him.” Hikari pushed Haruhi into the limo and was about to get in, when Kyouya pulled her out.
“What is it, Kyouya-sempai?” she asked. Kyouya took her back inside and adjusted his glasses. He pulled out a picture that froze Hikari's body all over again.
“You've seen this picture. Have you not?” he asked coldly. Hikari nodded. Kyouya looked at it, smiling like he was reliving a happy memory.
“It's funny how you found this old thing,” he said.
“Kyouya-sempai, you dated Natasha when you were four, didn't you.” Kyouya looked at her with questioning eyes. She returned his glare with determination. He let go of the picture the picture, letting it fall to the ground. He opened the door to exit when he said,
“…Yes…I did.”