Outlaw Star Fan Fiction ❯ Tsuki no Ie ❯ Tsuki no Ie ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Tsuki no le

Melfina glanced out upon the crowded city, the lights glaring and jarring her vision.

"The city... I wanted to live in the country... with Jim, and Aisha, and Suzuka," she whispered. Tearing her eyes from the city to her hands. A golden band stung her sight. The ring she had worn for five years. Neon lights played off the surface, distorting her reflection. Twisting... tearing... destroying... erasing...

"No!" she screamed, pulling the ring from her finger, throwing it against the wall. Shivering, she buried her face in her hands, and slumped against the wall.

"Why? Oh God, why did I say yes to him? I knew I didn't love him like that... he knew it too..." she whispered, tears sliding down her face. Another man appeared in her minds eye. Cerulean hair, such a kind face. "He almost kissed me. I know he loves-loved, me. I'm just so stupid, why didn't I realize it then..." A silent breeze ruffled her spiky black hair. Gently, she raised her head, tearful brown eyes met somber blue ones.

"Mel, wha-what happened? He didn't-did he?" The young man, hardly 18 questioned, hunching down before her.

"No Jim. He never- I was-was just- thinking. I'm fine," Melfina said, voice barely audible, eyes focused firmly on her bare finger.

"Mel, if you don't love him... just-just get a d-d-divorce. I think it would be the best for both of you," Jim said quietly. Melfina stared blankly, running her fingers upon the barren mark left by her now gone ring.

"He- I think he'd hate me. You know how he is, Jim, you know better than anyone." The blonde shut his eyes tightly, fighting to regain composure.

"You two are my very best friends. The both of you are destroying the other in this - marriage!" he spat. "Believe me Mel, don't be afraid. Sure he'll be hurt for a while, but with the course you two are on... Look, I've got to talk to Gene about the business now, but Me," she glance up briefly at the mention of her name, "-don't hesitate to call me. I've always got a shoulder." With one last glance, Jim exited Melfina's tiny apartment.

More tears slid from her brown eyes, landing on the wooden floor. Again his cerulean hair and sweet smile haunted her vision. She touched her face, remembering the way he caressed her that final time, before disappearing. Tears increased, sliding even faster. The way he had taken her hands, telling her that she would never be lonely again. That he'd always be there for her if she wished it so. More tears slid, faster and faster. Silent sobs racked her body. The hope in his eyes. The security, the confidence, the love. Pain shot through her. Smiling softly, familiar words filled the large, empty space surrounding her.

"I don't know

What words I can say.

The wind has a way,

To talk to me.

Flower sing

A si-"

The sound of a door opening ceased her mournful song. Quickly rising, Melfina dashed to the place where her ring lay. Slipping it on to her finger, she brushed the final tears from her eyes. Her husband strode in, smiling sadly when he saw her.

"Welcome home, Gene."