Pet Shop Of Horrors Fan Fiction ❯ Dealing With A Daughter ❯ Enter The Detective ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Dealing With A Daughter

Chapter 2: Enter The Detective

"OW!!"

"Please Hold Still!!"

"But it hurts!!!"

"Well, it will hurt MORE if you keep squirming!"

"Hn...OW!!! Okay! You Win!!"

"That's better. I've only got that car wreck of a wing to go now...It's going to be very sore for quite some time. And NO flying for at least 6 months."

"Damn..."

Ah, the touching scene...or not. Katarra is lying stomach down on that lovely, and now slightly bloodstained couch in the same parlor, surrounded by `pets' she doesn't know very well (if at all) and being patched up. So far...most of her body, including her chest is covered in a nice thick layer of bandages. And now, D has moved onto the last of her wounds that mangled car wreck that was once her left wing.

"Might I ask what happened to your wing?" D questioned, setting the bones back in places as best and as gently as he could. Applying the necessary antiseptics, all of which are designed to sting like hell, and wash all that blood off to reveal wings that are actually white. He continued to wash, apply and bandage as she spoke, hissing every few seconds in pain, damn those antiseptics.

"Well...I fell."

"You...fell?" D asked, raising an eyebrow and applying more antiseptic to a particularly deep gash.

"OW!! Yes, I fell...Involuntarily." She winced. And D took a deep breath.

"Was it Akono?" He asked, a very serious tone and look upon his face as he helped her up and led her to the bathroom, where a tub has been filled and began to wash out her hair.

"Y-yes." She replied sullenly.

Akono was a very jealous guy, who just couldn't take the fact that Niako had fallen for D, instead of himself. So imagine his outrage learning that the pair had had a child to boot. He'd been coming after them for a few years, today; he'd finally succeeded in half his plan.

D finished rinsing her hair and blow-dried it, the black shining in the false light of the bathroom bulbs. Katarra looked like she was about to cry again and D pulled her in for another hug, mindful of the wounds adorning her bandaged body.

"I swear, if that bastard shows his face anywhere near here, I'll kill him myself." D breathed. Known for being mild mannered and calm and sensible, that sentence would make anyone who knows him, shocked. But the tone in his voice was deadly, and he meant every word.

And then the inevitable happened.

"Yo Count! You here??" Came the inexplicable voice of everyone's favorite, loud mouthed and idiotic detective.

` Of all the times...' D thought rashly to himself and looked his daughter over again...she'd fallen asleep in his arms, thank goodness. All he had to do was get her past Leon and into a bedroom. Wait...none of the spare rooms were fit for a guest...quite the dilemma. `My room, she'll just have to stay in my room for now.' Now that that was settled, he picked her up, mindful of the wings and praying that Leon wouldn't notice them, and exited the bathroom.

"Ah my dear detective, if you'll excuse me for a few moments." And he began walking towards the entrance to the back of the shop.

"Hold up, who're you carrying??" Leon asked, suspicious as always and walked over to him, also being VERY loud. "Is that...A GIRL??"

Katarra stirred slightly and snuggled closer to D. D just glared at Leon. "Shhhhhhh!" he whispered. "She's had a VERY long day and needs her sleep!"

Leon stepped back, that was the glare a father gave, and man was it ever scary! Of course...he still couldn't see the cat ears or the wings, but for once, D was thankful of that. He was barely ready to explain that the girl was his only daughter let alone what species she happened to be.

D carried her away without another word or glance and set her in his bed, pulling the covers up and kissing her on her forehead. "Sweetest dreams my darling daughter." He took one last look for the night and went back to the parlor.

"Okay count, spill!" Leon, blunt as always.

"Why my dear detective, whatever do you mean?" D asked innocently, pouring tear for the both of them and sitting in the chair that had not been de- pillowed.

Leon looked around the room and gave the count a You-Have-Got-To-Be- Kidding-Me look. "Don't ply coy with me Count! There's bloody freaking feathers everywhere, there's FRESH bloodstains on the carpet, and the damned couch I'm sitting on! And then we have that lovely pile of bloody, muddy, and shredded clothing lying in that trash can, in plain view!"

"Oh, that." The count replied calmly, and sipped his sugary tea like always.

Leon gave him and incredulous look. "That's all you have to say??? What about that girl D?? She looked like she'd been through hell and back!"

"Yes well...I assure you all her injuries were TREATED by me, not caused by me. I would never hurt my own daughter." He replied calmly.

Leon lost that mouthful of tea and nearly hyperventilated. O.o..." You're what???"

D looked at him with the utmost calm, and sadness and put his cup down, looking Leon completely in the eyes. "That girl is my daughter. She just arrived here today and she has been through hell for the past few years. Her mother is dead and I am her only living relative, being that I am the girl's fathers. And when you see her tomorrow, the resemblance will make you blink."

Leon blinked, then got up and stiffly walked to the door. "Okay then...I'll see you tomorrow Count."

"Goodbye my dear detective." D waved slightly as Leon exited his shop. ` I hope you'll be ready for your next assignment...'

The phone at the precinct rang a few moments before a random cop answered it.

"Hello? 34th precinct, how may I help you?"

"My daughters life is in incredible danger."

"Could you be a tad bit more specific please sir?" The woman got out a sheet of paper and a pen.

"Yes, a man named Akono is after her. He's very tall, around 6 `3 and has dark brown hair, about shoulder length, usually in a ponytail from what I can recall. He's got eyes so dark brown they are almost black and his skin is darkly tanned. In fact, everything about this man is dark!"

"And why would this man be after you're daughter sir?" The woman asked, finishing the description.

"Because he is a very jealous man and now that her mother is dead, he only has her to go. He's terribly off in the head."

"Alright sir, I have the description, and I'll send someone over to you immediately tomorrow morning. Will you be alright until then?"

"Yes, thank you."

"One last thing, I'll need your address/location."

"Oh, of course. It's not hard to find at all. Count D's Pet shop, in Chinatown."

"Thank you sir. I know just the person to send."

"And thank you ma'am. Goodnight."

"Goodnight."

Both hung up at the same time, and D locked up the shop, put the animals to bed and then set off for his own room, setting up a futon for himself, sleeping by his daughters side.

The next morning at the same precinct.

"Orcot!"

"Yeah Chief?" Orcot stepped into his chief's office.

"I've got an assignment for you. You're going to head off to your friend D's pet shop. Apparently, his daughter is in danger from some big guy who's VERY jealous. Get on it."

"But chief- "

"No Buts! Go! Unless you wanna be buried under mounds of paperwork."

Leon looked ill for a second then got up. "I'm going..."