Petite Princess Yucie Fan Fiction ❯ 30 Kisses: Arc and Yucie ❯ He Laughed ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: “He Laughed”
Author: Wish Wielder
Pairing: Arc/Yucie
Fandom: Puchi Puri Yucie
Theme: #25 (fence)
Disclaimer: “Puchi Puri Yucie” and all respective properties are © Masahiko Otsuka. Meg “tN!!” D. (Wish Wielder) does not, has never, nor will ever own “Puchi Puri Yucie.”

“He Laughed”

The only thing that separated him from her was the fence between them, but he knew if he even tried to cross it she would kill him. He had come with every intention of apologizing - again - but she wouldn’t let him. She moved around the yard on the other side of the fence, making sure that she didn’t come anywhere near him, assembling a snowman. She was bundled up to block out the chill, and her hair was stuffed under a bulky hat that sat on her head - every last strand of it. He frowned at this, but said nothing. He had said nothing for the entire hour he had been standing there, save a “hello” when he had first arrived. She had sent him a venomous glare when he had done that, so, realizing she was still beyond mad at him, he remained silent.
It was a bit much, though. Surely she couldn’t still be that angry at him, right? It had been an entire week! He didn’t like it; he wasn’t used to not talking to her. Sure, she had been mad at him before, but at least then she would yell at him. She had completely given him the cold shoulder this time, though, and he really didn’t like it.
“Yucie, will you please say something? Anything?” he asked. She fixed her glare on him again, and he sighed. With a nod, he hopped over the fence and began walking towards her. She was kneeling by the partially-assembled snowman, rolling together another clod of snow to use as its head. When she heard the crunching of his boots against the crisp snow, she looked up. A spark of shock flitted through her eyes, but she did well to hide it.
“What are you doing?” she finally asked. He came to a stop next to the snowman and looked down at her, a perplexed look on his face. He knelt down before her and rested an arm on his knee, looking at the snowman and then back at her.
“You wouldn’t talk to me, so I thought I’d come over here and…well…stand around until you did,” he said. He really had no idea what he had been doing walking over, but he couldn’t let her know that. Her annoyed look told him she hadn’t believed him, though.
“You were just standing around over there, and I wasn’t talking to you then,” she said. He grinned at her.
“But you’re talking to me now,” he said.
“Not anymore,” she said, and she went back to rolling the snow into a somewhat-rounded shape. He reached out, placing his hand over hers.
“Yucie, please,” he said. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have done what I did, I’ll admit that, but you can’t stay mad at me. It’s been a week!”
“And it’s still not fixed yet, so it’ll be another week until I forgive you,” she said curtly. He groaned and slapped his forehead.
“Yucie!” he whined in exasperation. She looked at him, her annoyance showing clearly in her eyes, and he sighed.
“I’m sorry,” he said. “Would you please forgive me? I promise I won’t laugh again.”
“Who says there’s going to be an again?” Yucie asked hotly. He held up a hand and nodded, hoping to deter the fresh bought of rage he saw taking over her. “I haven’t even talked to Gurenda since this happened, and she’s my sparring partner at school!”
“You’re really upset about this, aren’t you?” he asked. She glared at him.
“Of course I am,” she said. “Why wouldn’t I be? My hair’s -”
“Going to be back to normal very soon,” he said. “The teacher said so.”
“You still shouldn’t have laughed at me,” she said after a moment of silence. He sighed and shoved a hand through his hair. He was beginning to think she would never forgive him.
“I’m sorry,” he said. “I shouldn’t have laughed. It really didn’t look that bad, Yucie. I was just surprised. It was…different. But your hair will be its normal color again soon, so -”
“But it isn’t yet!” she said angrily. He looked at her, a brow raised in concern.
“How much orange is left in it?” he asked. She reached up to remove the hat, yet her hand hesitated.
“Y-you’re going to laugh again,” she said. He shook his head solemnly.
“I promise I won’t,” he said. She lowered her hand and shook her head.
“You will,” she said. “It’s still splotchy.”
He sighed and looked her over. A week ago, during the apothecary potions class the academy required its students to take, Gurenda had had a slight accident. She had confused some of the ingredients, and one explosion later Yucie, who had been working with Kokoru next to her, was covered in the problematic goop. Gurenda had rushed her to the washroom, and it didn’t take long to see the consequences of Gurenda’s mistake. Yucie’s hair had gone from its deep blue color to a vibrant orange, much to her horror. Needless to say, she had been furious at Gurenda. After examining the ingredients used, the instructor had assured her that the color would wash out in a week, but she had still refused to speak with Gurenda. He had been waiting by the gates of the school for her at the end of the day, as he usually did, and that had really been the last time, before this, that she had said anything to him. She had come out of the gates with Kokoru, Erumina, and Beth (Gurenda had been stuck in detention), and he remembered she had been crying. Before he could ask what had happened, though, he had seen her hair, and he couldn’t stop himself: he laughed. Loudly, too, and she had given him one seething glare before she rushed off, her sobs intensifying tenfold. After her friends had filled him in, he had gone to her home, hoping to apologize, but she wouldn’t even see him. He had tried many times after that to apologize, but each time she wouldn’t listen.
At least now she was talking to him, and from the looks of things he was hoping this meant she forgave him. He leaned forward and kissed her forehead, and a small smile curved her lips. He grinned at her.
“You forgive me now?” he asked. She nodded.
“Just don’t laugh again,” she said. He glanced up at the hat, a curious smile planting itself on his face.
“Promise I won’t. How bad is it now, anyway?” he asked, reaching to snatch the hat off her head.
“Arc, no!” she said, grasping for his hands. He beat her to the hat, and he yanked it off. A wave of blue and orange rushed down her back, gleaming in the afternoon sun. He blinked for a moment and bit his lip. He had promised he wouldn’t laugh. He had promised.
He couldn’t help it; he fell back, clutching his gut as tears leaked out of his eyes.
“Arc!!!” she shouted as she punched him. “Stop it!!! You promised, you big jerk! ARC!!!”
That was the day Arc had learned to never make promises he couldn’t keep.

owari

a.n.:
I totally blame the plunnies for this. I died my hair about a week ago (er…re-dyed, I should say), and they laughed at how bright it was (my natural color’s kind of a chestnut brown, and I streaked it fuchsia - or, as my mum calls it, “Kool-Aid”).

Don’t y’all just love the plunnies? -sweatdrop-

Comments and constructive criticism welcomed. Please, don’t flame. If you can’t say your CC without flaming, don’t bother. Flames will be used to fuel Az’s bonfire for the yummy s’mores.