Petite Princess Yucie Fan Fiction ❯ 30 Kisses: Arc and Yucie ❯ Just One Night ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: “Just One Night”
Author: Wish Wielder
Pairing: Arc/Yucie
Fandom: Puchi Puri Yucie
Theme: #3 (jolt!)
Disclaimer: “Puchi Puri Yucie” and all respective properties are © Masahiko Otsuka. Meg D. (Wish Wielder) does not, has never, nor will ever own “Puchi Puri Yucie.”

“Just One Night”

Arc looked up from where he stood beside Yucie, drying the dishes she was passing to him. He gazed out the window as another low rumble of thunder rolled through the darkened skies, and he bit his lip in concern. He had spent the better half of the day at Yucie’s, keeping her company while Gunberd and Cube visited a sick friend in a neighboring town. The sun would be setting soon, and thick, dark clouds had covered the sky, promising a downpour.
“I should leave after this,” he said, shattering the comfortable silence that had formed between them. She gave a slight nod, barely acknowledging his declaration. “It’ll be hard riding home in the storm, especially since Runner hates thunder.”
“There’re only a few more,” Yucie said, wiping an arm across her forehead. He grinned as he saw the soap suds that had clung to her skin, and without a second thought he reached over and brushed them off. She looked up at him, her brows furrowing in confusion, and he shrugged. She sighed, shaking her head before returning to the task at hand. They finished shortly after, and as he was drying his hands a thought came to him.
“How is it that whenever I come here I always end up helping someone with their chores?” he asked. Yucie looked over her shoulder at him from where she stood on a stool before a cabinet, putting some plates away. A brow was raised in confusion.
“What?” she asked.
“Well, when I came that day before the battle in the Fairy World, Cube got me to help him clean Drago-sama, which I never want to do again,” he said, walking over to help her off the stool. He grinned when she stood before him; she had finally stopped growing about a month ago, and the top of her head reached his nose. It was a good height for her.
“And now I have you washing dishes, right?” she asked.
“Yeah!” he said. “I’m beginning to feel like the only reason you keep me around is to shirk your chores, Forehead!”
“Well excuse me!” she said indignantly, crossing her arms over her chest and looking away. “I’m sorry his royal highness willingly volunteered to help out!”
He hooked an arm around her waist, pulling her close and placing a quick kiss on her lips. He released her and turned, walking towards the back door.
“I’ll be going now,” he said, pulling his cloak off a hook by the exit.
“Let me help you with Runner,” Yucie said quickly, a sharp clap of thunder spurring her into motion.
“This rain’s going to start any minute, Yucie,” he said. She stopped behind him and looked down, a frown turning her lips. He had that look on his face, and he had called her by her name. He only did that when he was being serious.
“Then maybe you should wait the storm out,” she suggested. He turned and leaned against the door, watching her with a concerned look. A jolt of lightning streaked through the sky, and she winced. He smiled slightly as the next boom of thunder caused her to jump.
“Or I could leave now and maybe beat it home,” he said. He watched her chew her lip, and he could almost see the gears in her head turn as she searched for another excuse.
‘Just ask, Yucie,’ he thought. A part of him wanted to come out and offer, but he knew he couldn’t - not unless she asked first. He couldn’t impose himself on her like that.
“W-well, you said it was going to start really soon, so you probably won’t, and if you get caught in it you’ll get sick,” she said after a minute. He sighed and looked out the window above the sink. The sky was getting darker; she had a point: he’d never make it home before the rain. Another jolt of lightning pierced the sky, illuminating the room with an eerie glow.
“It’s nice to know that you care, Forehead, but I’ll be fine,” he said. He kissed her forehead and turned, opening the door. A gust of wind blew past him, carrying with it the scent of rain. He began walking out the door, counting off the seconds in his head. As expected, Yucie reached forward, grabbing his arm and pulling him to a halt. He turned and looked at her, his smile softening at the fearful look in her eyes.
“Please,” she said. “Don’t go. Not yet.”
He turned and leaned against the door, propping it open, and he watched her. She was shifting uncomfortably, and a nervous, fearful look was splayed across her face. She was wringing the bottom of her ruby tunic in her hands, and she was chewing her lower lip - again. He couldn’t help but smile at this; she was still scared of thunderstorms.
“I need to get home,” he said. He chose to ignore the irony of the statement; really, as long as he was with Yucie, he was home. Of course, she didn’t know this (yet), but it was true.
“Please…” she whispered, her voice sounding as small as he figured she must feel. “I don’t like being alone during storms…”
He stepped away from the door, allowing it to close behind him, and he wrapped his arms around her in a comforting hug. He rubbed her back, and she relaxed considerably against him.
“You just had to ask, Forehead,” he said. He kissed the side of her head, and she smiled. He felt her nod against him, and he gave her a gentle squeeze.
“Thanks, Arc,” she said. He nodded.
“Anytime, Princess,” he said, leaning back on the door. “Anytime.”

owari

a.n.:
Blame spring and the massive thunderstorms we’ve been getting ‘round here lately. I dunno…I kinda like the idea of Yucie being scared of thunderstorms and needing Arc to hang around to protect her. -smiles-
And that thing Arc asked, about always helping with someone’s chores when he goes over to her place…I actually thought that when I saw episode 22. xD

Comments and constructive criticism welcomed. Please, don’t flame. If you can’t say your CC without flaming, don’t bother. Flames will be used to fuel Az’s bonfire for the yummy s’mores.