Pilot Candidate Fan Fiction ❯ Many Faces (None My Own) ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

:: Many Faces (None My Own) ::

Megami Kouhosei

Disclaimer: I don't own Megami Kouhosei or any of the characters, nor am I trying to make a profit off writing this fanfic. It's for pure fun.

Rating: PG-13

Pairings: Roose/Wrecka, Tukasa/Yamagi, eventual (possibly brief) Yamagi/Roose

Heavy Influences: L.J. Smith's The Night World series, the anime Vampire Princess Miyu, possibly the movie X...

Warnings: AU, OOC, semi-dark, language

Notes: *sweatdrop* I got this idea from numerous things put together... Kat-chan with her vampire fic, watching X, Vampire Princess Miyu, Orphen, and Escaflowne in one night, being a big Night World fan (and a fan of L.J. Smith in general), even Kay-sama's Hellfic helped inspire this.

I love supernatural stuff, so this should be a much more fun project for me to work on. After this I really mustn't start anything else until I finish most others, I know, and I'm still trying to work on Velvet Underworld, Sweet Nothing, and Dreams are Frail Crystals (the final that will really get an update soon once I work out one tiny little detail).

All that said and done... Enjoy.

He was so late it wasn't even funny. Whimpering softly, the young teen threw his arm over his head as though in attempt to shield himself from the pouring rain, gasping as he ran as fast as he could down the puddle-filled sidewalks. He'd been due at his girlfriend's for a study session ten minutes ago. She would probably be upset for a minute or two, but her anger would always diminish quickly and she'd usher him inside, tempting him with hot chocolate to warm and a towel to dry himself with. A silly smile lit his face at the mere thought.

For a split second it felt like something tickled the inside of his mind, but when he realized it, the sensation disappeared. Strange. Oh, well, it didn't matter. He had to get to his girlfriend's...

A small figure crouched on the roof of a small house, hard to distinguish in the rain and dark sky. Dark hair was plastered to his head and dripping strands fell in his eyes as he watched the running teen with faint interest. He had only just finished his meal an hour ago, shortly before the rain had started. He loved rain; dark clouds always came and blocked the annoyingly bright sun. The sun didn't bother him really; he just preferred the darkness. It made his job easier.

While he had been resting on the random rooftop a stray thought had come his way. It was amazing how different thoughts could taste, some sweet, some bitter, some light with innocence and some heavy with sorrow and depression. This thought had tasted sweet and light, a rarity in these human beings.

The boy was disappearing from his line of vision. Without a sound and with cat-like grace, the small figure leapt from one rooftop to the next, jumping until he was ahead of the boy and could watch him coming his way.

He reached out gently again, this time being much more cautious in the act. The boy had sensed him the last time, which meant he had been careless. He tended to do that sometimes, slip and make a mistake that could cost him. Luckily for him, the boy had completely forgotten about it and had continued on.

'Warmth,' was the current desire this boy had. He chuckled softly, smirking in amusement. Humans... They were all so strange. Some preferred it hot while others cold and still others had to have it perfectly warm. They couldn't make up their minds as a whole. As for him... Well, trivial things such as heat and cold didn't bother him at all. If blindfolded, deaf and unable to smell, he wouldn't have known the difference between a boiling hot desert and the coldest region of Antarctica. He could feel things, yes, but temperature was nothing to his kind.

He decided to prod a bit deeper. What other desires did this amazingly pure human have?

'Warmth, comfort, food, attention, love...' Each thought progressively more and more desirable and for a moment he was swamped with the strange human's feelings. Drowning, drowning... No, he was all right... These were not his thoughts; he didn't desire these things... Blood, pain, terrified screams, yes, yes; he desired those...

He finally broke free of the boy's mind, feeling as though he had just surfaced from the darkest depths of the ocean. He was even panting visibly, his eyes wide with shock, fear and interest. No human... No human's thoughts and emotions had done that to him in so long. How had this boy done it?

"Roose? Are you okay?" It took him a moment to realize the boy had frozen on the front doorstep of the house to his left. He cursed silently, knowing the boy had felt his thoughts as well. He was trembling and looked terrified. Cursing again, the small figure reached out -- not physically; with his mind -- and made a caress-like motion, trailing over the dark thoughts he'd left lingering in the boys thoughts. 'Go away, sleep, dream, fade, disappear...'

Suddenly the boy seemed relaxed again and was smiling innocently at the worried-looking girl before him. "Hello, Wrecka-chan."

"Roose? What happened?" she asked, leading him inside. The figure closed his eyes, reaching out again...

'What happened?' The boy -- Roose -- seemed perplexed. "I don't understand, Wrecka-chan" he said.

Maybe with just one more little push... There! Now he could see through Roose's eyes, feel the shivers of cold passing through his body; sense his honest confusion... Good. He didn't remember a thing.

He was watching a small but adorable -- no one her age should be that adorable, he thought in near disgust -- teenage girl walking back and forth between what seemed to be a cozy living room and a bright kitchen. She finally ended up sitting beside him, pressing a hot mug in his hands. Eagerly, Roose sipped at the liquid before he yelped, searing pain spreading across his tongue. The fool had tried to drink it while it was still hot.

"Silly," Wrecka chided, smiling and taking the cup from his hands, setting it on the coffee table. "Let it cool down first."

Roose pouted -- the figure was horrified at the mere prospect -- and edged away from the girl, obviously still damp and not wanting to get her wet either. Suddenly she turned serious, staring him hard in the eyes as though looking for something. "Did something happen earlier?"

"What do you mean?" he asked in sincere confusion. She only made a 'hmm'ing sound, not tearing her eyes away from him.

Something hot, sharp and painful seemed to tear through his mind. With a cry more of fury than pain he tore away from the human's mind, clutching the middle of his forehead and swearing violently. 'What the fuck?!'

Even in pain he could still feel the cold, dark presence. He turned and glared up at the tall figure looming above him. Well... He wasn't really tall, considering, but compared to himself...

"What?" he snapped irritably, rubbing the center of his head in pain. That had hurt... And somehow that bitch Wrecka had done it to him. How, he didn't know; humans rarely had such powers. He knew of only one human that did... But he didn't matter to him; he wasn't of his concern...

"You shouldn't wander," was the cool, simple answer as the taller figure knelt beside him and closed his eyes. After a moment he opened them and, as always, shock numbed his senses. This one he knew well and he had to admit, he was frightened of him even though he tried not to show it. It wasn't just that he was cold and sadistic, but his cat-like eyes seemed to follow you everywhere.

"I'm not wandering," he retorted, removing his hand from his head. "I was just... Curious." Hesitation; then... "I think he unintentionally sent a thought my way."

He only seemed vaguely interested when he asked, "How did it taste?"

"Sweet, light... Like a young virgin girl."

"Exactly," the cold one agreed, if not reluctantly. "Even still... Don't you dare wander. Mess this up for me and I'll have your ass, got it?"

He scoffed and turned away; a mistake on his part. Something hard and iron-like slammed into the side of his face and it didn't take him long to realize it had been a fist. The cat-like eyes pinned him and a growl rose from deep in the taller one's throat. "Don't ignore me, either," he threatened quietly. "Understand?"

"Yeah," he muttered, keeping his head turned. When he did look back the cat-eyes were gone, as was the body that possessed them.

'Great. So even he's going to get involved. Lovely.'

Don't wander, he'd said. He didn't want to wander, the boy thought with a smirk. He only wanted to... Play a little bit.

How many times could he get away with messing with the virgin-minded human boy?