Please Teacher! Fan Fiction ❯ Visitors ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I do not own Please Teacher! or Please Twins!. They are both owned by Please!.
 
A/N: I'm using the versions of Maiku, Karen, and Miina from the Please Twins! novels by Go Zappa. Please don't get mad for the obvious differences from the Anime.
 
~~
~~
 
Getting back to the apartment he shared with Mizuho, Kei took off his shoes and entered. He found his wife sitting on the couch in her pink nightgown, absently watching the news on television. “I'm home,” he announced.
 
“Welcome back, I was waiting for you. I have something I wish to discuss.” She stood up and grabbed his arm, and pulled him towards the bedroom. “Get in your pajamas, and then we'll talk.” Kei and Mizuho had found that they talked more freely lying in bed than anywhere else. It was a kind of special place they could go to discuss things that were just for them, a place no one else was allowed. Kei quickly changed into his blue pajamas and crawled into their futon.
 
“What is it you wanted to talk about,” he asked.
 
“Um, it's about Mr. Shido,” she started.
 
“Matagu? What about him,” interrupted Kei.
 
“Well, it's just that I was thinking, he fell down right next to the door, right?”
 
“Yeah...”
 
“And he collapsed almost immediately after you had said I was your wife.”
 
“Wait, you mean Matagu was listening to us? This is bad, what are we going to do?”
 
“Hmm, I know! Tomorrow lets ask the principle for permission to tell your friends about us. You're on your last year of school, and we can make them promise to keep it a secret.”
 
“Yeah, I can come clean on my standstill problem to them. Ichigo already knows, and I told Matagu tonight about them. Maybe I can even come clean to the rest of the class. That way, if our secret did get out further than just our friends, it could make things easier to explain.”
 
“All right, we'll meet with the principle before school tomorrow, and if he allows us to tell your friends, then I'll allow you to make an announcement in class about your disease.”
 
“Sounds good,” Kei replied. He lay on his back, and Mizuho rested her head on his chest. Putting his arm around her shoulders, he kissed the top of her head. “Goodnight, my wife.”
 
Snuggling up to his warm body, she put her arm on his chest and gave him a one-armed hug. “Goodnight, my love.” Within minutes, the two were sleeping peacefully.
 
~~
 
“The principle will see you now,” the office secretary announced. Kei and Mizuho both nervously walked into the room. A middle aged man with glasses looked them over.
 
“Is there anything I can do for the happy couple,” the principle playfully asked. “I do hope he's taking good care of you, Mizuho. I haven't seen you together like this since I called you in here about that rumor last year. You've done a fine job of keeping this schools honor intact.”
 
“Actually, sir,” Mizuho began. “That's what we'd like to talk to you about.”
 
“Oh, and what do we need to discuss?”
 
“It seems that one of my students may have found our secret. He was a patient at the clinic Kei's uncle runs. We didn't know he was there, and were talking freely. We don't know for sure, since he hasn't said anything, but we'd like to tackle this head on, sir. This would be to avoid another rumor.”
 
“But you don't actually know if he found out?”
 
“No, sir. However, all evidence points to him hearing us. The boy collapsed in his room immediately after Kei made mention of me being his wife.”
 
“Hmm, this is distressing. You said you'd like to try a head on approach. What do you have in mind?”
 
“Sir, we'd like to tell Kei's group of friends about us. We will of course stress secrecy. Also, if we are allowed to tell them, we will also announce to our class about Kei's disease that held him back for three years. That way, if our secret does get out further, we can fall back on the fact that Kei is of age, and that we knew each other before I got this job.”
 
“I was fearing this day would come. How's this, if you can ascertain whether or not your student found your secret, I will either allow you to tell them, or ask you to keep it a secret. If the boy did not find out, I would like you to keep this a secret.”
 
“Yes sir.”
 
“Oh, and Mr. Kusanagi, are you all right with the possibility of telling your classmates about your condition? I thought you had come here to fit in and not be seen as an older student.”
 
Kei, having been suddenly brought into the conversation, paused for a moment before answering. “Yes sir, I have thought about it. Two of my friends already know about my condition, and they haven't treated me differently. I must keep moving forward, and this is a step along the way.”
 
“All right. I wish the best of luck to both of you.”
 
~~
 
“Hey, I wonder where Matagu is this morning,” Hyosuke Magamu asked. “It's not like him to miss school, even if he's sick.” The blond haired boy leaned back in his chair and looked in the direction of Matagu's desk.
 
“I'm sure it's nothing to worry about,” Kaede told him. She was standing next to her boyfriends chair, and waiting for the rest of their friends to arrive.
 
Both Koishi Herikawa and Ichigo had no idea where their friend was. That was very strange, since not much escaped Ichigo's comprehension. It actually bothered her that she had no idea about what had taken place to make the normally serious boy miss class without letting anyone else know.
 
Ichigo's ears perked up. She had heard what sounded like Matagu's little sister Haruko in the hallway. Quickly, she made her way out. She saw the younger girl standing about five meters away, talking with the new girl at school, Karen Onodera.
 
“Miss Shido, would you come here please,” the class president asked.
 
“Yes, Miss Morino. What do you need,” the freshman said, working her way through the students.
 
“I have a question about your brother. Where is he today?”
 
“Oh, he thought it would be too hard to write with the bandages on, so he took the day off.”
 
“Bandages? What...” Ichigo stopped.
 
“I'm not supposed to say anything else. I've got to get to class. Bye, Miss Morino.” And with that Haruka started towards her classroom.
 
'What on earth did he do last night if he's using bandages,' Ichigo thought to herself. 'And why do I care so much? He's just a friend, nothing more.' She made her way back into the classroom and sat down in her desk.
 
“Hey, short stuff, what's up? You look a little paler than usual,” Hyosuke pried. “You find out what happened to Matagu?”
 
“Oh, um, yeah. His sister said that he wasn't coming today because it was too hard to write with the bandages. But she wouldn't tell me why he was wearing them.”
 
At that moment, Kei walked in. He glanced towards Matagu's seat, and noticed it was empty. “Huh,” he muttered. “Guess he decided to stay home after all. He should rest anyways. I'll make sure to take good notes for him.”
 
Overhearing him, Hyosuke shouted “Kei, you know what's up with Matagu?”
 
“Yeah, I do,” Kei answered, and made his way over to his friends. “On the way home from school yesterday, he saw a man get hurt in the woods near the road. He carried him all the way from the woods to my uncle's clinic. Unfortunately, he got a nasty case of poison ivy in the process, and his hands and part of his face is bandaged to prevent it from spreading further. I was going to take notes for him today.”
 
“Kei, that's alright, I'll take the notes,” Ichigo blurted out. 'Why do I care so much,' she thought silently.
 
“No, I can do it.”
 
“I'm the class president. It's part of my responsibility. Besides, my handwriting is much better than yours. We want him to be able to read his notes, don't we?”
 
“Fine, you can do it then.”
 
“Thank you,” Ichigo said. She then started pulling out supplies for class. “You should get ready, class will be starting in moment.”
 
“Fine,” Hyosuke groaned. “I know, lets go visit him after school today!”
 
“That sounds like a great idea,” Kaede agreed.
 
And with that, the friends all went and sat in their respective seats.
 
~~
 
Class was boring, but it went by quickly. Before long, it was over and the five students met to discuss their plans. Shortly thereafter, they made their way to the Shido residence.
 
Ringing the bell, they waited. After a moment, the door opened and a sleepy-eyed Matagu stood before them, yawning. “I thought you guys would drop by today,” he greeted them.
 
Ichigo looked at him, and couldn't believe what she saw. Both his hands were carefully wrapped in gauze. She had expected that much, but when she looked at his face, it was swollen, and the entire left side was covered in a large bandage. He could still see out of his left, but his ear was covered as well. Hints of red shown around the edges of the material.
 
“You had a big adventure and didn't bother to tell us? What kind of friend are you,” Hyosuke teased. He grabbed Matagu and was about to put him in a headlock when Kei stepped in.
 
“Hyosuke, stop that. If you touch near his bandages, you could get poison ivy too. It spreads easily.”
 
“Oh yeah, you're right. Sorry Matagu.”
 
“It's okay,” the boy responded. “Why don't you come on in. I don't have any snacks for you, but I'm not sure you'd want me to prepare anything anyways.” With that, the group moved into the Shido family sitting room.
 
“Oh, Matagu. I have something for you,” Ichigo said after they had seated. “Here, it's the notes for today. I took them for you.”
 
“Oh thanks, Ichigo. Thanks a lot. I was actually worried about it,” Matagu replied. He was glad for the rash, since he was sure he was blushing. “Um, can I ask one of you guys a favor?”
 
“Sure buddy, name it,” Hyosuke answered.
 
“Of course, anything to help,” said Kaede.
 
“Um, it's kind of embarrassing. I need some help changing my bandages. My mom changed them for me this morning, but I can't do it on my own.”
 
“I'll do it,” Kei immediately volunteered.
 
“Are you sure Kei? You helped me so much yesterday,” Matagu said.
 
“Yeah, positive. Besides, I need to talk to you.”
 
“Oh, um, okay. We'll be back in a few minutes, guys. Haruko should be home soon, so if we're not back yet, ask her to keep you company.” With that said, the two went upstairs.
 
“Poor Matagu, he always has the worst luck. He saves someone, and then he needs saving himself,” Hyosuke sighed.
 
“It was really bold of him to do what he did. I'm sure karma will catch up with him,” Ichigo reasoned. She was secretly amazed at the extreme act of kindness her friend had done. She knew he stood up for his friends, but to help a perfect stranger at the risk of his own self?
 
“Yeah, he's still full of surprises, even after all these years. I wonder what Kei wanted to discuss with him,” said Koishi.
 
Suddenly, the front door burst open and Matagu's little sister Haruko came in. “Brother, I brought someone who wants to see you,” she shouted. Looking past her, the upperclassmen noticed not one person like Haruko had said, but three. They all knew each other, having spent a day at the lake together the previous summer.(1) It was Maiku Kamishiro and his sister Miina Miyufuji, along with Maiku's girlfriend Karen Onodera. Maiku was a member of the astronomy club, to which Matagu was president. He had grown close with his senior, but still wasn't a part of the 'inner circle' as he called it, referring to the group that was in front of him now. “Oh, where is my brother?”
 
“He's upstairs. Kei is helping him clean his wounds and change his bandages. We're waiting for him to come back downstairs,” Ichigo replied in her usual monotone.
 
“Ah, okay. You guys know my classmates, right? Miina and Karen? This is Maiku, their brother and boyfriend respectively. He's in the same club as my brother, and he was worried when he didn't show up to the meeting.
 
“Oh, do you two have the day off today,” Koishi asked. “Oh, sorry guys, Miina and Karen work at my parents grocery store part time.”
 
“Yes, your father was nice enough to let us have the day off, since we have a big test coming up we need to study for,” Miina answered.
 
“Oh, if you have a big test, why are you here and not studying?”
 
Both younger girls blushed deep red and looked at their feet. “Um...”
 
“It's okay. I won't tell them. I should probably be studying as well.”
 
“Thank you very much,” Miina and Karen exclaimed together.
 
“Hmm, I wonder what's taking those two so long up there” Ichigo wondered aloud.
 
~~
 
Kei set straight to work on Matagu. He grabbed a pair of gloves and started to remove the bandages. His friends hands were red and swollen, and the rash was quite nasty looking.
 
“Good,” Matagu said, looking at his bare hands. “It's already getting smaller.” He sat very still as Kei took the tube of ointment and rubbed it over his hands. Without putting fresh bandages on, Kei went straight for the ones on Matagu's face. Being sure to remember how they had been applied, Kei removed them carefully, and then applied more of the ointment.
 
Kei stood up, with Matagu still unfinished. “I'm sorry to have to do this, Matagu, but I need an answer.”
 
Matagu had been wondering what Kei had wanted to talk about. “An answer to what?”
 
“Were you eavesdropping last night?”
 
Matagu gulped. He had been found out. He hung his head low and said “Yes. I'm so sorry. I didn't really mean to be listening, but I could hear you talking and before I knew it I had my ear to the door.”
 
“It's okay,” Kei said, and sat back down. He changed into fresh gloves and grabbed some fresh gauze. He started work first on Matagu's face, which was even more red than it had been a few minutes ago. “I just wanted to know if you had heard what we were saying, Mizuho and I that is.”
 
“Kei,” Matagu started.
 
“Don't talk, I'm trying to get you bandaged up here. Just listen. Since you heard, you've probably wondered why I never told you. All I can say now is please be a little more patient. You'll find out the whole story in a little bit, I promise.” Kei had finished bandaging his face while he talked, and moved onto his hands. “I feel a little bad about stepping on your hopes though. I know you always liked Mizuho.”
 
Matagu didn't say anything. He was both hurt and relieved. His friend had been lying to him for over a year, but he had also not gotten mad at him for listening. He'd have to be patient, just like Kei said, and then the truth would come out.
 
“Oh, can I use your phone Matagu? I have to call Mizuho and let her know what's up.”
 
“Sure, it's in the kitchen downstairs.”
 
“There, all finished, now lets not keep our friends waiting.” With that, the two of them went back to the living room. As soon as they appeared, Matagu's sister jumped at him.
 
“Brother, someone's here to see you.”
 
“Hello Mr. Shido. When you didn't come to our meeting today, I got worried. Haruko here told me what happened to you,” Maiku began.
 
“I've told you to call me Matagu. Mr. Shido is way too formal for me.”
 
“I'm sorry, Mr. Shi...I mean Matagu. I just wanted to make sure you were alright, and to give you our regards.”
 
“Hey, can you wait a minute? We're all going to be going to my house in a minute, and it's on the way to your home, correct,” Kei suddenly said.
 
“Wait, why are we going to your house Kei” Koishi asked.
 
“Because I have something that I want to show you. I'll be right back, I just have to make sure it's ready.” With that said, Kei went into the kitchen.
 
“I wonder what this is about,” Kaede said.
 
“Do you know Matagu,” Ichigo asked.
 
“Um, kind of. I don't know any details, but Kei said to just be patient.”
 
“Allright, are we ready to go,” Kei said, coming back into the living room.
 
“Haruko, you stay here and tell mom and dad where I've gone, alright”
 
“But brother, I want to come!”
 
“I'm sorry, but this doesn't have anything to do with you.”
 
“But my friends are going!”
“No, they're just walking with us because it's on the way. This is something for just the six of us.”
 
“Fine, I'll see you at school Miina and Karen!” With that, Haruko ran upstairs.
 
“Shall we get going then,” Kei said, with a slight crack in his voice.
 
'Man, he must really be nervous,' Matagu thought to himself. 'His voice never cracks like that.' “Yeah, come on guys, let's go.”
 
 
~~
~~
 
(1) The lake scene is from Please Twins! Episode 13. It will be slightly A/U, as I'm having it so Mizuho wasn't there, and Kei had a tent to himself. As for the rest of the mentions to Ms. Kazami's husband from Please Twins!, they don't exist in this A/U