Pokemon Fan Fiction / Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Pokémon: Sora's Journey ❯ Path to the Pokémon League ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Episode 8: Path to the Pokémon League

It has been over a month since Sora began his journey as a Pokémon trainer and he met Kairi; plus Sora has already earned two Gym Badges and caught four more Pokémon and sent two to Professor Oak. Sora, Kairi, and Pikachu had already left Cerulean City and set off to Vermilion City for Sora to win his third Gym Badge.

Sora, Kairi, and Pikachu met some trainers along the way. Sora had to admit that there were some tough battles, but he still pulled through. Sora was wrapping a battle with a boy with a Rattata like the one that a trainer named Zack has.

"Finish it with Steel Wing!" Pidgeotto flew into Rattata knocking it out. "And that makes ten in a row."

After that battle. Sora and the boy he just battled shook hands.

"You're a great Pokémon trainer," the boy said.

"Yeah, you too," Sora said. "You did a great job raising your Pokémon."

"Thank you," the boy smiled. "And since you're so good, I bet you can even beat AJ"

"Who's AJ?" Sora asked.

"He's a trainer who lives down there!" the boy pointed in the direction behind him. "He's got some tough Pokémon. He even built his own Gym. And he's never lost a single match."

"Never lost a match, huh?" Sora said putting his hands behind his head. "I'll bet he'd be surprised if he lost to me!"

After Sora, Kairi, and Pikachu parted ways with the boy, they came across the Gym matching his description. The sign read "AJ's Gym! Undefeated! Note: This Gym is not sanctioned by the Pokémon League." And the scoreboard on display read 98 wins and 0 losses.

"Sure looks like the place," Sora said. "And it's not licensed by the Pokémon League. This guy must really good if he says he's undefeated."

"You're right," Kairi said. "But don't get too cocky just because you have two badges and won ten battles today."

"You think I'm gonna lose don't you?" Sora asked.

"I'm just saying keep your head in the game and you'll be fine," Kairi said. "And besides, you should know I'll always root for you."

That Sora feel better.

"Are you my next victim?" A male voice with a western accent called to them. They turn to see teenage boy wearing a red and black shirt with its colors separate by a zig zag, blue shorts and hiking boots. The front part of hair is dyed dark green.

"AJ the Wild Pokémon trainer I presume," Sora said.

"That's my job," AJ chuckled. "Beating chumps like you is my hobby."

"Better than stamp collecting," Sora joked. Kairi giggled at the bad joke.

"You're such comedian," AJ said. "Ready to lose?"

"That's what I was gonna ask you," Sora said.

The gates of the gym opens to reveal what looks like that's fit for training.

"It looks impressive," Kairi said.

"Pika," Pikachu nodded.

AJ takes off his backpack and his Butterfree comes and takes it inside.

"What's in the backpack?" Kairi asked.

"The wild Pokémon I just caught there, missy," AJ answered. "There's a bunch more in the tent; and then sum."

"A bunch more?" Sora asked. "Could we have a peek after our match?"

"If ya want," AJ answered when he stepped onto the battlefield. "Which Pokémon are ya gonna for my 99th win?"

"99th?" Sora scoffed. Sora got the battlefield and grinned feeling confident that he was going to win. "You're gonna have to change your sign after I beat you! And your title gets flushed down the crapper!"

AJ puts on a grin as he stretches a whip.

"You may think you're hot stuff, spikey!" AJ said before he cracks his whip. "But you're not in the Pokémon Little League anymore!"

CRACK

"WHOA!" Sora yelped. AJ stretches his whip again.

"After I win a 100 matches in a row, I'll be collecting Gym Badges!" AJ stated.

Kairi knew he just needed two more if Sora lost the battle. She wondered what kind of Pokémon AJ has at his disposal. It looks like that she was going to find out soon enough.

"You don't have any badges yet?" Sora asked not believing it. "I won ten battles today and I got two badges. I fought hard to earn them too!"

Unlike the anime, that was true. Sora remembered how tough those battles were. AJ still wasn't impressed.

"Did ya buy those badges or did ya steal them?" AJ taunted. "Either that or you just competed in some loser Gyms. Where were they? Failure City or Wimpsville? I bet that those Gym Leaders feel weak after losing to a kid with some stupid necklace!" Sora felt a vein bulge on his head. He couldn't believe that AJ just insulted the necklace that previously belonged to his late father. Sora definitely wanted to win badly now. "Is that supposed to be a crown? I bet it means that you're the king of weaklings."

"King of weaklings?" Sora snarled at the insult gritting his teeth. "I didn't care what you said about those gyms. But when you insult my family's legacy! That's where I dry the line."

Kairi didn't like where this was going. Sora was starting to lose his cool and that was going to cost him big. AJ took out a Pokéball to confirm that he was ready.

"Let's get started then," AJ said. the wild Pokémon trainer threw the Pokéball. "Sandshrew! Go!"

The Pokéball lets out a Sandshrew. Sandshrew rolls in as a ball. Sandshrew uncurls itself as gets into battle position. Sora took out his Pokédex and pointed at Sandshrew.

Sandshrew, the Mouse Pokémon

Type: Ground

Sandshrew's body is configured to absorb water without waste, enabling it to survive in an arid desert. This Pokémon curls up to protect itself from its enemies.

"A Sandshrew, huh?" Sora said, taking out a Pokéball. "This will be a cakewalk."

"Sora! Don't let your guard down," Kairi reminded him. "That Sandshrew looks tough!" Kairi knew Sora was still angry about AJ's insult towards him.

"I know exactly what I'm doing!" Sora snapped at her. "Pidgeotto! Go!" Sora throws the Pokéball to let Pidgeotto out.

"Sandshrew! Go in!" AJ said as he cracks his whip like a lion tamer. Sandshrew charges in for battle.

"Pidgeotto! Dive in with Quick Attack!" Sora gave the order to Pidgeotto. Pidgeotto dove in like a missle.

"Sandshrew! Rollout!" Sandshrew rolled into a ball and struck Pidgeotto pretty hard.

"Pidgeotto! Move out of the way!" Sora called to Pidgeotto. Pidgeotto was dazed from the assualt of the Ground Type. Sandshrew's Rollout came in too fast for the bird Pokémon as Pidgeotto got hit four more times. The attacks just got stronger each time. "Pidgeotto! Come back!" Sora called Pidgeotto into his Pokéball. "Butterfree! Go!" Sora shouted as he threw the Pokéball letting Butterfree out.

"Ree!" Butterfree entered the battle.

"Butterfree! Gust!" Butterfree flapped his wings pretty hard.

"Sandshrew! Dig!" AJ cracked his whip again. Sandshrew dug into the ground. Butterfree stops flapping and looks around. Kairi could tell this wasn't going to end well. She knew that Sandshrew could pop out anywhere at any second. Sora wasn't going to call it quits. With one crack of his whip Sandshrew jumps out of the earth like a jack-in-the-box. "Finish it with Slash!" Sandshrew gave one powerful swipe at Butterfree. Butterfree fell to the ground.

"Butterfree!" Sora gasped. He had two Flying Types and they both lost to one Sandshrew. Kairi was afraid this would happen.

"I guess it's not so FREE anymore!" AJ teased. "Ready to call it quits now?"

"No way!" Sora yelled. "Pikachu! Let's go!" Sora turned to Pikachu.

"Pikachu!" Pikachu just shook his head. Sora couldn't believe this. Pikachu was disobeying his trainer.

"I said let's go!" Sora ordered angrily.

"Chu!" Pikachu refused.

"Pikachu!" Sora said losing his patience. "Do what I say and battle now!"

"That's enough!" Kairi yelled. Sora turned to Kairi was glaring at him. Kairi slowly walks up to and slapped him across the face.

"Ow!" Sora yelped. He placed his hand on the cheek. Sora wanted to get angry at her, but relented when he looked at her. Her face turned stern and cold. Sora didn't like it because he was used to seeing her smile.

"You lost the battle, Sora," Kairi said sternly. "You lost because you got angry and let it affect your performance. Trainers should always keep a cool head even the trying of circumstances. I don't want to see Pikachu get hurt because of your pig headed pride!"

Sora just looked at her aghast. He knew that she was right. He didn't keep a level head because he let the insult of his necklace get the better of him. He knew if he had taken her advice he would have won.

"You're right, Kairi," Sora said. "And I'm sorry. I got so angry I turned the insult into a weapon." Sora turned to AJ and replied, "Okay AJ. You win."

Unknown to our heroes, Team Rocket were watching the battle closely. They became interested in that Sandshrew's strength. It took down two of Sora's Pokémon without a problem.

"That Sandshrew is a tough one," Jessie smiled.

"Indeed," James agreed. "We should swipe it."

"It looks too fat," Meowth said. "You two should carry it."

"I just can't believe we got cut from the last chapter!" Jessie moaned. "I mean how dare he just brush us to the side like dust bunnys."

"I know!" James nodded. "The very nerve of him! I mean we had a pretty good plan to swipe the Pokémon back in Cerulean, but instead he inlists the Three Stooges in our place!"

"A plan that involved a giant vacuum?" Meowth facepalmed. "Did you see how those animators just drew me like that? I just walked around with my paws in the air, I mean who does that for real?! And on a personal note: I liked the other kid better!"

Jessie and James pushed him of the ledge and he landed on his head. His binoculars lands right in his mouth.

The sign on AJ's Gym changes from 98 to 99. AJ now had 99 wins in a row.

"And that makes victory number 99!" AJ said with pride. Sora walked up to AJ and stuck out his hand.

"Congratulations AJ," Sora said. "I lost my head back there. And that's why I lost. You deserved to win after the way I acted."

"That's real sporty of ya, kid," AJ said shaking his hand.

"I can see why you're undefeated," Sora admitted.

"You two can stick around if ya want," AJ said. "Just don't make trouble."

AJ and Sandshrew walked into the tent. Sora looked at Kairi. He walked up to again, expecting another earful from her.

"Again I'm sorry," Sora said.

"I'm not the one you should be apologizing to," Kairi said to him. Before could ask what she meant he realized it was to Pikachu, Pidgeotto, and Butterfree.

"Right," Sora said. He looked to Pikachu and at knee bent. "I'm sorry Pikachu. I shouldn't try to make you go into a battle that you'd end up losing."

"Pikachu," Pikachu agreed.

"I promise I'll never make you do that again. You forgive me?" Sora asked.

"Pikachu!" Pikachu said jumping onto Sora's shoulder.

"I guess that's a yes," Sora said.

"And I forgive you too, Sora," Kairi said. "Win or lose you'll always be a winner to me."

Sora smiled when he heard her say that. Sora was glad Kairi had joined him on his journey.

"You call that last match a fight?!" AJ yelled from inside the tent. "It's time for some serious training!"

CRACK

Sora, Kairi, and Pikachu looked inside the tent. They saw that the other Pokémon inside, a Butterfree, a Beedrill, and three Rattata training hard. They wore what looks like retraints strapped onto their bodies. AJ's Sandshrew was standing up on a diving board. Sandshrew jumped off and dove into the pool inside. Kairi just gasped when she saw that. She knew for a fact he was tough, but she didn't think that he was extreme.

"Sandshrew," Kairi murmured to herself.

Sandshrew jumped out of the water and spinned itself dry.

"Get back in the water!" AJ commanded.

Seeing enough, Kairi just started to run right at the smug Pokémon trainer.

"Stop it! Stop it!" Kairi shouted when she ran towards AJ. "You leave Sandshrew alone!"

Kairi tackled him pushing them both in the pool. Sora ran inside not believing she just did that.

"Kairi!" Sora shouted.

Kairi and AJ came back up to suface for some air.

"What do you want, girl?" AJ growled at her.

"You're hurting your Sandshrew!" Kairi snapped at him.

"Mind your own business!" AJ snapped back. "I don't need advice on how to train Pokémon! And especially from some little girl!"

"You call that training?" Kairi growled.

Sora noticed the thing strapped onto Sandshrew.

"What is this thing?" Sora asked. "Is it a straight jacket?"

"That is no straight jacket!" AJ corrected Sora. "It's a strength intensifier!"

"Who made that thing?" Sora asked.

"I did," AJ answered them. "It's my own secret weapon for unleashing a Pokémon's powers." AJ turned to Sandshrew. "Sandshrew! Back in the pool!"

Sandshrew obeyed by climbing up the diving board.

"Sandshrew is a Ground Type," Kairi pointed out. "They're weak against water!"

"I know that!" AJ said to her. "Sandshrew! Dive!"

Sandshrew dove into the water and jumped right out like it was no problem. Even Sora was amazed by this.

"Your Sandshrew isn't bothered by water?" Sora asked.

"You're looking at the only Sandshrew in the world that can withstand water," AJ said. "Sandshrew! Pick up your pacing!"

Sandshrew rolled up into a ball and rolled over to the three Rattata.

"Pacing? More like passing!" Sora joked.

AJ looked Sora confused and Kairi rolled her eyes letting out a frustrated growl.

"Cha!" Pikachu said holding out a pillow. Sora just shook his head.

"No Pikachu, that's padding not pacing or passing," Sora told Pikachu.

"Pika," Pikachu sulked.

"Don't feel bad," Sora said. "There's always next time."

"Why do you have to be so tough on your Pokémon?" Kairi asked hotly.

"I have to be tough," AJ told her. "A tough trainer makes tough Pokémon! I ask no more of Sandshrew than I do as myself!"

"But why are you bullying Sandshrew more than your other Pokémon?" Kairi asked him.

"First of all, I'm not bullying my Sandshrew! And second, Sandshrew is my very first Pokémon." AJ said. "I would never forget that day! And on that day we pledged that we will be the greatest team of all time. Nothing could stop us! Sandshrew and I sacrificed everything to achieve our goals. We've endured the heaviest rains and fiercest winds. Everything we've been through since then has all been worth it! We're an unbeatable team!"

"Now that is deep," Sora said moved by AJ's tale.

"Whose side are you on?!" Kairi yelled at Sora. She turned to AJ again. "Okay smart guy are you feeding them properly?" Kairi asked slyly.

"Of course I'm feeding them right," AJ said finally putting on a smile. "I'll show you two." AJ opened a cupboard to reveal jars of Pokémon food for specific Pokémon. "Having tough Pokémon is key, but it's also important to give them a proper diet too. I made these from my own recipe. And that is secret."

"No kidding?" Sora asked. AJ nods. "Kairi makes Pokémon food for mine too."

Kairi's cheeks just puffed up seeing she was getting nowhere with this. "Okay he's feeding his Pokémon right. That's fine I guess, but it dosen't excuse him for the way he treats them," Kairi said in her thoughts.

Sandshrew is now lifting weights, while Pikachu watches. Pikachu looked at a smaller weight. Pikachu tries to lift the small weight up, but falls over. Team Rocket had infiltrated the Gym ready to grab Pikachu.

"Latex gloves?" Jessie asked.

"Check," James noted.

"Big rubber ball?" Jessie asked.

"Make this a double check," Meowth noted.

"We will do what we can," Jessie started.

"To snatch that Pikachu," James finished.

"But can we skip the motto this time?" Meowth asked. "I feel like a broken record doing it. I mean we said it so many times it lost all meaning."

Jessie and James just ignored the cat Pokémon and went off woth their plan.

A few minutes later, the training bell goes off.

"Alright you wimps get a fifteen minute break!" AJ said to his Pokémon.

Kairi looked around and saw how exhausted they are. She didn't like that sight one bit. She knew that Sora would never push his Pokémon so harshly hard.

"Wait a minute!" Kairi called to him.

"Now what do you want?" AJ asked not standing it.

"Your Pokémon are totally exhausted," Kairi said to him.

"You better believe it," AJ shot at her. "In this gym, we live by rule of 'No Pain, No 'Gain.' I don't go around coddling Pokémon like they were dollys. And I bet you're just playing tea party with that stuffed Pikachu over there."

"Don't you dare insult Sora's Pikachu like that!" Kairi tried to run at AJ again only for Sora to hold her back.

"Kairi!" Sora exclaimed.

"Let me go, Sora!" Kairi demanded. Kairi tried to break free of Sora's grip. But Sora just held on to her tight, not letting go.

"Come on, girlie," AJ said putting up his fists and pretending to box. "Come at me."

Over to Pikachu and Sandshrew, Pikachu tapped the strength intensifier only to strap itself on Pikachu and making roll like a ball. Sandshrew laughed before the armadillo Pokémon did the same.

Team Rocket rolled in the big red rubber ball and rolled over to the two Pokémon, but they mistake Sandshrew for Pikachu and ran out the tent losing the rubber ball with "Pikachu" in a bag running off before anyone could see them.

The bell rings again letting them know that it was time for more training. AJ looked around but he's greatly troubled that he couldn't see Sandshrew anywhere.

"Where's Sandshrew?" AJ asked concerned.

"Sandshrew was just here a while ago," Sora pointed out. "Where could it go?" They looked around only to see Pikachu rolled up. "Pikachu! Don't worry, I'll get you loose!" Sora tried to do that, but it was no use.

"Give it to me," AJ said. Sora moved out the way for AJ to undo the strength intensifier Pikachu regains his posture.

"Pikachu!" Pikachu sighed with relief.

"You shouldn't have been playing with that," Sora said to Pikachu.

"Pika," Pikachu hung his head.

"Pikachu, have you seen Sandshrew?" AJ asked Pikachu.

"Pikachu," Pikachu shook his head.

"You haven't?" AJ asked disheartened. "Sandshrew! Where are you?"

No answer came from the gym. Kairi just gave him a smug look.

"Maybe your Sandshrew just ran away," Kairi gloated.

"What'd you say?!" AJ snarled.

"Maybe Sandshrew saw how Sora treats Pikachu, and decided to run away," Kairi said. "If I was Sandshrew, I'd leave you, too."

Before AJ could say anything to the girl, Sora spoke up finally having enough.

"Okay that's enough!" Sora shouted. Kairi turned to Sora and saw that he wasn't happy. Sora was finally fed up with the way that she treated AJ. AJ let them stick around and she insulted their host in his face. "I mean I get how he's treating his Pokémon, but they don't seem to have a problem with it! I don't agree with those methods either, but he only wants what's best for them! Just like I want from mine! Sandshrew has never given AJ a reason to leave him, because I know a loyal Pokémon when I see one! You can see for yourself how AJ feels when we help find Sandshrew! And he's going to expect a pretty big apology from you when we do!" Kairi was in a total loss of words. Sora just chewed her out. Kairi really didn't know how to respond to that. Sora walked up to AJ. "I'm sorry you had to see that."

"You would do that for me?" AJ asked.

"Of course," Sora nodded.

"Thanks," AJ said with gratitude. He turned to his other Pokémon "Now move it. Go find Sandshrew."

AJ's Pokémon obeyed searching for their friend. Sora took out his two Pokéballs and threw them up the air letting Pidgeotto and his Butterfree.

"Pidgeotto, Butterfree," Sora said. "Help them find Sandshrew."

Pidgeotto and Butterfree went off looking for the missing Pokémon.

Over to Team Rocket they were exhausted from all the running and how heavy the bag is, so they stopped to catch their breath.

"Those clowns will never catch up to us now," Jessie said.

"Jessie this bag is heavy," James panted. "I need to rest my back, so you carry the bag."

"But a real gentleman always carries the bag," Jessie teased.

"Well F.Y.I. I'm no gentleman!" James shouted.

The two squabbled causing Sanshrew to jump out and land on Meowth. Meowth bites on Sandshrew's tail dragging him along as he starts digging.

All the Pokémon came back and they had no luck in finding Sandshrew. Kairi had been silent since Sora gave her a piece of his mind. She was saddened by how Sora spoke to her.

"Maybe Sora is right," Kairi thought to herself, "Maybe I have been too hard on him. Maybe I should apologize to him."

Before Kairi could say anything, Sandshrew came popping out of the ground dropping Meowth.

"Sandshrew! You're back!" AJ said in tears hugging Sandshrew. They're joined by his other Pokémon so happy to see their friend back.

Kairi saw how Sandshrew affectionately licked his trainer's face. Now she could see that he does love and care for his Pokémon; he just has a different way of showing it.

Pikachu pulls on the coin on Meowth's head.

"Pika Pika Pikachu!" Pikachu called Sora and Kairi.

"What is it?" Kairi asked.

"It's Meowth!" Sora recognized. "So it was Team Rocket that took Sandshrew!" Sora took Meowth by tail, making him wake up. Meowth scratches Sora right across his face. Sora cries in pain when starts regretting it.

"Hey! Where am I?" Meowth asked looking around and seeing the angry expressions on their faces. Meowth knew he wouldn't be a match for all the Pokémon right in the room at once; and especially with Pikachu and Sandshrew. "Uh oh."

Fortunately, Team Rocket came to his rescue with their motto.

"Prepare for trouble!"

"And make it double!"

"To protect the world from devastation!"

"To unite all peoples within our nation!"

"To denounce the evils of truth and love!"

"To extend our reach to the stars above!"

"Jessie!"

"James!"

"Team Rocket blasts off at the speed of light!:

"Surrender now, or prepare to fight!"

"Meowth! That's right!"

"These are the creeps who took my Sandshrew?!" AJ asked getting angry.

"That was an accidental mix-up," Jessie said.

"We have no interest in your second rate Sandshrew," James insulted.

"Second rate?!" AJ growled.

"We only want Pikachu," Jessie said. " You can keep the other wimps."

"Wimps are they?!" AJ roared. Sora was about to rush them when AJ stops him. "I'll take care of this. No one insults my Pokémon and gets away with it!"

"Okay," Sora understood.

They all went outside for the incoming battle. AJ cracks his whip.

"Team Rocket has insulted our Gym!" AJ announced. "And we will answer them with our 100th win!"

"100th?" Sora asked.

"That's what Sandshrew and I vowed," AJ said.

"Take them down," Kairi spoke up.

AJ smiled at her and nodded.

"Your small talk will cost you big!" Jessie said. "Ekans go!" Jessie called throwing the Pokéball.

"Go Koffing!" James said throwing hus Pokéball.

Ekans and Koffing entered the battle ready to take Sandshrew down. AJ cracks his whip.

"Sandshrew! Go!" Sandshrew chraged in. The two Poison Types charged at the Ground Type.

"Ekans! Wrap now!" Jessie ordered.

Ekans wrapped Sandshrew's body only to get out. Ekans's body is wrapped like a pretzel. Sandshrew came back down and gave Ekans a good kick to the head.

"Koffing! Sludge!" Koffing fired his sludge at Sandshrew. Sandshrew spins fast reflecting the attack.

Sora, Kairi, and Pikachu weren't the least bit worried because they knew how tough Sandshrew is just like AJ.

"Meowth! What you standing there for?" Jessie yelled. "Get in there!"

"You can count on me!" Meowth said chasing Sandshrew still rolled up in a ball. Meowth tries to bite Sandshrew, but its armor was too strong. AJ cracks his whip again.

"Now use Fissire!" AJ shouted. Sandshrew rolled into the air. Sandshrew uncurled itself and dove to the ground fist first. The force of the attack was so great, the ground splits open. Sora, Kairi, and Pikachu almost their balance. Taking enough, Meowth, Ekans and Koffing ran off like scared dogs with their taiks between their legs. And that was that, AJ has won his 100th battle in a row. Their hard work and sacrifices had paid off. Sora felt satisfied watching AJ and his strongest Pokémon share a good hug.

Kairi walked up to the two of them.

"Good work you two," Kairi said. "You finally reached your goal. And I just want to say that I'm sorry for the way I treated you today. I just thought you didn't care about them. I'm glad to say that I was wrong."

"Oh think nothing of it," AJ said. "I've already forgave ya. I could tell ya love Pokémon very much."

Kairi smiled at the nice thing he just said to her. Sora, Kairi, and Pikachu bid farewell to AJ and his Sandshrew as Sora just found himself another rival.

As they continued on to Vermilion City Kairi wanted to say something.

"Hey Sora," Kairi spoke.

"Yeah?" Sora asked.

"Do you forgive for the way I've acted today?" Kairi asked Sora.

"Of course," Sora said. "That's what friends do."

Kairi smiled.

"That's good," Kairi smiled. "Can I at least hold your hand?"

"Okay," Sora simply said taking her hand.

Kairi beamed as she held his hand. They walked down the road holding hands. Sora took a look at her. And seen how she's like depending on her moods. The mood he only wanted to see on her was happy. To him, that's the real Kairi.