Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Chaussures De Fil ❯ The Trip to Johto ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
... Hi. My name's Maxine. I'm a Poke'mon trainer! Oh, come now. Before you throw your tomatoes, I want to tell you a story... It's the story of my life, and how drastically it changed when I met Benji. Benji was the love of my life. From the day I was formally introduced, to when it all came crashing down. My story is one of forbidden love, revenge, and the general happenings of a seventeen-year-old girl...



Chaussures De Fil
Chapitre Un

'Twas a grand day; the sun shone high in the sky and a breeze whipped across the grassland. The tiny, urban creatures frolicked about uninhibited and without disturbance. It was a beautiful sight. The world minus the skyscrapers of Saffron and the population of Celadon––Pallet––A cozy little town by the ocean, consisting of three homes and a laboratory filled with the geniuses and fanboys that both loved and respected the professor that lived there. And, no, not the one you know. Twelve years prior to the courageous feats of Ash, Misty, and Brock. The Ketchum boy never really did reach his goal of catching all the Poke'mon, nor did he go on to being the world's best trainer. His skills dwindled over the years as did his enthusiasm, and the boy legend settled down with the noisy redhead everyone knew would end up with him, and of course... Pikachu. Brock went on to college and became a doctor, giving up the crazy fad alltogether. His vulpix, onyx, and tons of other old friends he'd captured during his teenage years all went to his numerous brothers and sisters who he remained the constant father figure of. All in all, things turned out pretty grim for the trio. The adulthood that followed their adolescent years weren't nearly as sugar-coated. Professor Oak passed away at the ripe age of eighty, and the now matured Gary took over where his father left off.

And then Maxine stepped into the picture. A pretty, little thing, in the peak of her teenage years, ready for the future which she had mentally planned out. Photography. She was an amatuer to say the least, but she chased the ambition with strength and determination. On the side, Poke'mon. She had only two, and liked it that way. Delphina the Skitty and Gus the Rattata. Delphina was lower-leveled, and served as more of a pet in her old age. Frail, covered in battle scars, and blind in one eye. But, damn, was she cute. Just like Gus, only he was still young and wanted to fight. A bit on the chubby side, but with the common Rattata markings. He had mean claws, and an even meaner bite. Maxine, again, was a natural beauty––Long, chesnut locks and profeit blue eyes––But she wasn't as happy as she appeared. Nobody was. The air in Pallet had grown thick over the years, and it choked the hearts of those who knew what it had become. The three prodigies were gone, and behind they left Mary and Gary Oak, and Delia Ketchum... It all seemed over... Until one day Maxine moved in with Ash's mom. Being a cousin with family issues had it's perks when your aunt was the sweetest woman in Kanto.

Click, click, click! "Aah! Gotcha!" From behind one thick, circular lens and an ashen-colored camera appeared the grinning face of the brunette that owned it. The picture, undeveloped, slid out of the camera and fell into her lap. She picked it up, shook it, and was pleased with the results as in it appeared a pidgey just about to take flight from it's nest. "You'll look pretty on my wall." She tucked the picture away and briefly admired the scene before her. A serene environment in which the Poke'mon lived undisturbed by the nearby town and the single trainer that lived in it. Crouching behind a bush, she could see it all, three new hatchlings squeaking for their mother's return.

The world seemed so perfect at that moment. The only thing that'd make it better would be to set it to music. But the whole town, in their brief time of happiness, was jolted back into reality when Maxine announced one day, "I'm leaving to explore the whole Johto region! And take pictures! Ohh, don't worry, I'll send postcards!" The whole town, consisting of a mere eight, saw her off. Delia was waving and sobbing alongside the old Mr. Mime, Gary and Mary were waving and smiling, all the while looking concerned beside their five weepy followers. "Maxine, sweetie, if you find my Ashy-poo, tell him to call me! Mama misses him!" Delia called, and as the boat slowly cast off and descended towards the horizon line, Maxine waved and grinned. It was a sweet image, the one she captured when she quickly raised her camera up and snapped. Etched in developing ink, Pallet town and the family she'd leave behind. And she kept waving until she could no longer see them, and even then she hovered about the tail end of the ship as Kanto slowly grew smaller.

"Oi! Girly! You don't wanna fall in there, do yeh? One wrong move and you could slip right off!" Maxine slowly turned around, puppy dog-eyed, to meet a friendly-looking sailor who stood back a few yards grinning at her. "Yer lucky yer ma paid the extra shiny penny to get yeh a ride to yourself." The sailor scoffed, and took a big step forward, giving the wilted teenager a quick pat on the shoulder. "'Ey, now, don't be sad, girl. You'll see 'em again." Maxine reared back out of his grasp, eyes fixated on the carefully stitched floorboards. "She's my aunt." She interrupted. The sailor furrowed a brow and shrugged, and then disappeared below deck to meet the captain who was navigating the ship, flipping around all sorts of doodads and gadgets. "Ye can tell she's a sweet lass, she just hasn't got 'er walkin' legs yet. That was 'er aunt back there at the port, you told me she was 'er mom, dammit."

Back on deck Maxine waited for hours, watching the sun set just over the outline of land in the distance. The moon rose high, and then fell, followed by the sun rising again in the early morning, which was when the boat hit land in Olivine. The salty air was different here––lighter, and weighed easily on her soul unlike the heaviness of Pallet. The captain and sailor soon appeared from below deck, both greeting Maxine and then helping her down onto the sand and into town where they left her by her lonesome. It was now that her heart started to thump rapidly in her chest. I don't have anywhere to sleep tonight. She mentally groaned, and then reached for her belt to let out her two Poke'mon. "Delphina, Gussy, I don't think we're in Kanto anymore." She joked as they were let out to stretch and walk around the area.

It turned out that the Poke'mon Center was perfect for travelers such as herself to rest in, and as she found a comfy spot in one of the beds that foreigners and anyone else could use when home wasn't so convenient. The covers were drawn back, shoes were kicked off, and Maxine collapsed. She tugged the covers up over her and settled with Delphina and Gus beside her. Tomorrow, I'll find my cousin. Her mental words sounded so determined, but as she trailed off, her eyes closed, and she slooowly drifted off into a sound sleep...

( Chapter two will bring quite the unexpected twist. Wait and see. ;P )