Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Escaped ❯ Escape ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1

It was 0600 hours at Viridian City. Most people were still asleep using the mid-strength rain pounding on their windows as an excuse to sleep in. Most people. On the far end of the city limits was what looked like a government building. With a twenty foot fence and bars on all of the windows. That's even if you got to see it. There were signs up to two miles away warning you to stay away and saying that they are aloud to kill you written in 10 different languages. Before that there is a man made canopy 1 mile thick of trees and brush that you have to cross before you can get through. It's not exactly a place anyone with brains wants to venture in. This is where I grew up. This horrid place is called ABPO, Alpha Base Psy Ops, but we just call it Psy Ops. My first memories are here, and for as far as I can remember this is where I've lived, without parents or family or love that the people outside were exposed to but yelling, screaming, beating, and intense training for something that we barely even knew about.

The day started off the same as always, warrant the rain. The Drillers came in at 0600 hours yelling and screaming. All twenty-four teenagers jumped out of bed and stood at the end of their beds in attention stance. This was my alarm clock for fourteen years. The others had to go through it longer. I'm the youngest. When they stopped they put the letdown on what we would be doing for the day. Damnit, they were taking advantage of the rain. Our schedule was marching, marching, a quick run and a mission in the later of the day. To make it worse they weren't letting us wear our camouflage, but instead we had to keep our nightgowns on. No shoes, no camouflage, just black sweatshirts that went down to our knees. But orders were orders and we marched to the mess hall for breakfast like the good little soldiers we were.

At breakfast no one was really in the mood to talk. We were all brooding over what a sucky day this was going to be. But we wouldn't dare complain. We didn't want the Masked Men to come and beat us shit-less. Once breakfast was done we went outside and marched for 5 hours straight. Lunch then a quick run. Then we were aloud to rest for five minutes while they divided us up into four groups. Alpha would be doing a hostage situation, Beta would be doing a bank robbery, Psy would be tracking and Delta would be doing evade and escape techniques. I was placed in Delta. I smiled to my-self. This was going to be an easy mission, evade and escape was the best for me. All we had to do was get out of the woods with twenty Psy-Op Soldiers chasing our tail. I took half of our group one way and a friend of mine Nina took the other half. I should say now that we weren't given names, but instead numbers. My number is 247 the lowest in the 20th generation and Nina's is 396. The lower the number the younger you are. As for our names we thought them up our selves. The name I chose was Alya, don't ask me why. If the Drillers or worse the Masked Men ever found out about our names we would be in deep crap. No reason really other than it's a reason to beat us. The MM are a select group of scientists who are also our 'disciplinarians'. I don't think that that's the word for them. More like abusers. If we do anything wrong the Drillers call them out. They wear these strange helmets with their white trench coats so we can never see their faces. They come out with flogs and rulers and start beating on us. Some times they don't need to be called out. They watch us closer than the Drillers, or our teachers who we call Sensei's. Any way we completed our mission in record time. That was a good thing. No yelling, no screaming or beatings, just the first in line to go to the shower and a little extra food on our trays in the mess hall. What made things stranger was that the MM came up to us and congratulated us.

We all marched to the showers with smiles on our faces. After our shower we met up with the other kids at the Mess hall. We began to talk about our days. Actually no we didn't talk. We're not aloud to talk in the Mess hall. But I don't think that the MM know that we can use telepathy to communicate to one another. We are training to be Psy Op Soldiers after all, can you be surprised?

'Hey where is Tina?' I heard Nina ask a little worriedly. I don't blame her. Those two are twin sisters. They've always been out for each other. And when someone is missing from the Mess Hall its not usually a good omen.

'Well? She was in the Beta group.' I asked also. Five faces looked solemnly into their food.

'What happened?' Nina sounded frantic.

'Our mission wasn't as much as a success as yours Nina.' 564/Damian put in.

'Oh No, don't tell me the mission died?' The mission died means that they failed the mission. When someone says that they 'killed' the mission then it means that the MM blamed them. When that happens the person is beat and then placed in solitary confinement until lights out. That means no meal, not even water.

Damien nodded. 'Tina killed the mission.' The whole table went into an outrage. Everyone knew that Tina was the hardest working person in the generation. She would never kill the mission. Nina looked like she was ready to murder someone. 'Nina!' I distracted her from her anger. When she looked at me I pointed to an extra granola bar that was my prize.

'For Tina' I said looking at the unopened juice box on her tray. She got the clue and pointed to it. 'For Tina.'

We both hid the ration under our new dry nightgowns while our friends played lookouts. After dinner we marched back to the barracks for lights out. When we got there I felt the food in my stomach churn. The MM had dragged Tina through the door on the other side and was still beating her. Finally when they stopped she crawled back to her bed and stood at attention. Stood? It was a wonder she could crawl at all! We marched to our beds soon after wards.

"How many times do we have to tell you brats that failure is not an option!?" One screamed

"395 I'm disgusted in your performance today! You are a worthless piece of shit if you can't even rob a bank right! I never want to see such a pathetic job like that again. Do you understand?"

"Sir Yes Sir" Her voice was shaking and she was holding back tears.

"Let this be a lesson to all of you worthless little shits!" The Drillers and the MM were checking us the whole time. Well the Drillers were checking us, the MM were looking for a fight. I shot a look of disgust at one of them. When he turned I shot it to the floor but he still saw. He walked over to me and whispered into my ear.

"What are you going to do about it?" He was daring me to do something. Then he slapped me. It was a warning shot, open handed, but it still sounded like a gunshot. And felt like one too. I had to bite my lower lip to keep from crying. He'd only hit me more. I think he was satisfied. Moments later we heard the click of the locks on the doors. The lights were still on. That meant that we had around 15 minutes until lights out. We all moved out of our attention stances with a sigh of relief. Nighttime was the only time we could be ourselves. Like most places weren't aloud to talk in the barracks, but we did anyway. There didn't seem to be a camera in the barracks. If there was they didn't care what we did. We had pillow fights all the time, as long as we weren't making any noise. Lee/999, the eldest of the group came up to me.

"You OK baby soldier?" They call me that a lot because I'm the youngest. I used to be the smallest but now I'm taller than some of the older girls. I guess I worried them when I started to cry.

"Yea, I'm fine Lee, I'm much better off than Tina." I pulled up my nightgown to get the food I had stolen. I walked over to Tina's bed. She was leaning against the headboard. Nina was giving her the juice while Damien and Casey another girl was rubbing her legs. She said that they hurt the most. Everyone was in silence while she ate her 'meal'. The look she gave us all was beyond grateful.

"This is sick." Damien mumbled. Everyone agreed.

"Tina didn't do anything wrong." Nina growled.

"What do you suppose we do then?" Lee asked

"Why don't we just leave?" I asked

"We have this conversation every night." Nina mumbled

"It's not that easy Alya." Lee answered I was going to counter when Julie/448 spoke up.

"Even if we get out who's going to take us in?"

"Who says we need someone to take us in? Were old enough to be pokemon trainers."

"Who's gunna give us the Pokemon? And the Supplies? Money? Clothes? Food?" Julie countered.

"Its better than living here and being slaves." Julie would have said more but the lights went out in the barracks.

"I don't wanna stay up tonight. It's been a long day." Casey/499 stated with a yawn.

"Yea, lets just go to bed, soldiers." Lee agreed. Everyone went to his or her beds, girls on one-side boys on the other. All except for Nina.

"I'm gunna stay with Tina for awhile." She said while getting on the bed with her sister.

"G'night… See you in the morning." I went to my bed right next to Tina's.

I woke up four hours later. My heart was pounding. Did I really want to do this? What if I was caught? What if I wasn't? Damnit! I ask to many questions. I got up and gingerly walked to the door. My heart was making more noise than my feet. I held the handle and concentrated. The little click I heard told me the door was unlocked. I walked back to my bed to get a spare blanket. When I got it I shot a look at Tina's bed. Nina was sound asleep next to her twin sister. I forced myself to move back towards the door. When I was out I reclosed and locked it with the same stealth as before. I made my way back to the Mess Hall, being mindful to stay in the shadows away form any cameras. For some reason the Mess Hall has less security than the rest of Psy Ops. I moved to the far end of the cafeteria to the large window. The nice summer shower had turned into a thunderstorm. I had to get rid of the bars. Again I concentrated and using my hands as a wand pulled the bars apart with no sound at all. I backed up and collected my breath. There was no turning back now; I had to go through with this. I ran at top speed through the gap with surgical precision. I fell thirty feet and landed like a cat almost, without a cut on me. I got up and made a mad dash for the fence. The alarm system must really suck in this end of the building because the alarm didn't go off until I was already 10 feet away from the fence. I jumped 5 feet onto the fence and shimmed the other 15 up to the barbed wire. Using the blanket I crawled over the barbed wire to the other side. I jumped down and began to run again faster than I ever thought possible. I could hear the guards and their Growlithes trying to go after me, but I was too far away and the heavy rain-washed away my scent. That sense of security didn't slow me down. Around ten minutes later I reached the canopy. Without thinking of the thorns and poison oak I dove in. My legs had become my brains and it was in overdrive. I don't know how long it was until I got out of the canopy, but I still refused to stop. Instead I started moving north. I was a quarter mile away from a visible path but I refused to take it. The storm was getting worse. The thunderclaps shook the ground and I saw a blue flash of lightning some miles away. I looked to my right and saw a river going in my direction. It was flooded and the current was strong. Without thinking I jumped in. I don't remember much about what happened next. I know I kept my own for awhile before hitting something, a rock or a log. My last thoughts were. "I'm free but I'm dead." After that I lost conscienceness…