Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Incomplete Souls ❯ When The Cat's Away... ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
There, on that solitary rock in some twisted manner of alternate dimension, sat the greatest feline ever to tread the hallowed grounds of the humbled Earth.


He certainly didn't LOOK special. I mean, he was a cat, for crying out loud. His coat glistened a regular, sandy shade of pale beige, seeming rather average, if slightly glossy. He was curled up - hardly uncharacteristic for one of his species.


No, the truly remarkable thing about this extraordinary cat was...


"DAMN IT, DIS PLACE IS SO BORIN'!"


... the fact that it could speak. Albeit it with a thick Brooklyn accent, but still, it was a miraculous ability. He could also walk on two legs.


Yes, this mammal, who was named Meowth, was truly incredible in his own right.


He was also dead. Had died several years ago of natural causes. He'd simply been too mature for a cat's lifespan to ensure his survival any longer. His demise had devastated his best friends, upset Meowth himself and bored him to tears of frustration.


However, little did this special cat know that he was finally about to see the only two people he'd ever cared for once again. Granted, the circumstances weren't especially desirable, but then again, Meowth was that lonely, he'd have accepted an evening in with the Grim Reaper - but only if he'd offered to bring popcorn with him. This feline was the sort of individual that couldn't watch a movie without morosely munching all the way through.


And why was he being presented with this unique opportunity?


Well, in life, as we are all aware, we have a soulmate. You know, that one male or female who was made to be with us, and us to be with them. And, to ensure that we meet this soulmate and exist in the happiest manner possible, those people with a little je ne sais quoi are asked to work to these individuals on a spiritual level. Everyone who snatched up this once-in-a-deathtime chance got to serve one couple, and one couple alone. It'd be two years since a terminally bored Meowth had signed up to be given the status of "Amateur Cupid" and match-make a randomly selected pair of probable misfits.


However, it just so happened that these friends of the feline, a certain Jessica and James, were soulmates. The cat had always known it, but today was his turn to serve the living in matters of the heart... and he was praying, something the cat had never done before, for the virtually impossible. He'd heard from Humans that ACs, or Amateur Cupids, got to watch over their charges as often as they desired.


At least if, by some manner of miracle, he managed to obtain his former companions, he wouldn't have the opportunity to miss them quite so much.


Glancing at his recently acquired watch, Meowth sighed tenaciously, and hitched himself off the rock, attempting to prevent his hopes being subconsciously raised, only to be cruelly crushed once again.


Staring off into the distance, he saw his spacious apartment, courtesy of the AJOBAC, or "Association for the Joy Of Becoming an Amateur Cupid", muttering mutiny at himself for ever scribbling his hurriedly scrawled signature onto that piece of paper that awarded him the title of AC, and set off towards the official initiation ceremony.