Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ New Beginnings ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

DISCLAIMER: All Pokémon characters are property of Nintendo and other big-wig companies. They do not belong to me.

New Beginnings

By: Raven Star

Chapter 1

~Morning, A Few days later~

Raven woke up early the next morning, she peeps into the box to find the Mews were still asleep in the box, and were now curled closer to Trinity who looked up at her approach. "Come out of there, Trin. Let's see if our guests might be well enough to eat something on their own." she said as she gently reached out and scooped up the box, once Trinity had climbed out of the box

After taking care of the other 3, she picked up the black one and after checking him out, she saw that, like the other three, he was breathing a lot easier now and that they was healing up pretty well, thanks to the medicine she had sprayed on them earlier. *Looks like they might be waking up sooner or later.* as she applied more medicine to the wounds. After doing so, she places the black Mew back down in the bed, and heads off to get her cooking supplies so she could start breakfast.

She released the rest of the Pokémon from their Poké Balls so they could eat too, as she placed different plates around before them as they dug in.

She pulled out a can of milk and a small metal pan, and proceeds to pour the milk onto the plate. She then quickly adds some Pokémon food to it in small quantities to the plate, and places it in front of the box. After a few moments of no response, she left the plate in that

Soon she had a cook fire started, with eggs and bacon sizzling in a frying pan. And the smell of cooking food filled the cave. A few moments later she pulled the pan out of the fire, and started scraping the food out when she heard of the sound of splashing coming from behind her and something being lapped up.

Turning her head slightly she looked behind her to see six pairs of sleepy blue eyes peering at her from over the lid of the box. Jumping back, she almost dropped the food she was preparing for herself, before she realized that it was the she only saw the two pink and single white Mews staring at her, as they made their way slowly out of the box.

As she searched the cave for the black Mew, she finally spots the black one standing on the edge of the plate lapping up most of the milk greedily., and biting into biting into bits of Pokémon food that it held in his small paws. The minute it felt her eyes on it, it glanced up at her with a defiant look in it's eyes,

"And just what are *you* up to?" she asked as he stared down at the Mew.

"Mew..." <'tiredsleepyfoodHUNGRY'> it told her telepathically, in a childesh voice that sounded perturbed and mulish, as he stared up at her, before returning to it's meal.

"Oh, so we got ourselves a grouch don't we?" Raven said sarcastically as she puts her hands on her hips to give the black Mew a frown which he paid no heed.

The other 3 had floated over to the plate and were now joining their sibling in eating their fill of the food she had left out for them. Star and the other Pokémon gathered around to watch the four tiny Pokémon as they ate, until all the food and milk was finished off. As she ate, Raven watched as two of the Mews floated lazily back to their makeshift bed, while the other two looked around at their surroundings, examining the other Pokémon before them.

"So you guys are finally awake, huh?" she asked as she dumped the food onto into a napkin and placed the rest in a bag. As she walked back towards the entrance of the tent she sat down, placing the food on a rock, noting that Mew was hovering closeby watching her cautiously. "I was starting to get worried, that you wouldn't make it."

The white Mew flew down to the ground, and landed on it's back legs as it stared up at her with curious eyes. "Mew?" <'rescuehelpsave?'> it sent out to her as she started to pack up camp, as it stood up on his hind legs to get a better look at her.

"Yeah, I helped you guys." Raven said as she tentativly reached out a hand out towards him, only to watch as he jumped away and out of reach. "Lily over there," she said indicating towards the Marril who lets out a cheerful squeak in greeting. "Found you guys. A bunch of Spearrows were attacking the nest you were in, but you guys were too far out of it to fight back."

"Mew.... Mew ew Mew?" <'Why did you help us'> the white Mew asked as she floated down from the bed followed by the other two to crowd around her brother and Raven.

Raven simply shrugged her shoulders in dismissal. "I didn't know you guys were there until after I chased off the Spearows. I wanted to catch one, so I had Trinity electroshock them, and some of them got away but I was still able to catch one. And then we found you four in the tree." Raven said as eyed all four Mews. "How do you guys feel now, after a good night's rest and a free meal?" she asked as she waited for their answer, while finishing packing up her gear and tied her sleeping bag and tent to her backpack.

The four Mews looked at each other as they spoke to one another telepathically before the black one finally answered.

"Mew..." <'Better there's no pain and no longer feel sick...'> he called as he siblings all nodded their heads in agreement.

"Good, then. So the medicine worked." Raven said as she stood up, finally finished, as she slung her bag onto her back, and pulled out her pokéballs and recalls all of her pokémon. "So I guess this is good-bye then."

"Mew?!" <'Goodbye?!'> all the Mews cried out. <'Why?'>

"Of course good-bye." Raven said as she faced them. "I don't plan to keep you guys against your wills. Your free to do what you wish and leave. I promised myself that when you were all better I'd let you go." she said with a shrug. "When I first found you I didn't even bother to try and catch you, since all four of you were sick and defenseless. It didn't seem right to take advantage of the situation at the time."

The white Mew floated over to Raven, and lands on her shoulder, so that the two of them were staring at each other face to face. <'You help us. Friend.'>

The two pink ones did the same, repeating the word over as they hovered around her. Then the next words Raven heard in her mind surprised her the most.

<'Want to stay with... Go with you..."

Raven's eyes stared in surprise at the 3, as smile appeared on her features, as she held out her hands, and watched as the white Mew landed gently in her palm. "You mean you guys want to stay with me? And leave the Amazon Zone."

"Mew." <'yes'> all three chorused telepathically.

Raven stared at the three with wide eyes for a few moments before she realized that she was only hearing 3 voices saying yes to going with her. Looking around, she spots the black one was had gone back to her jacket, which she hadn't unfolded yet and buried himself in the folds. Walking over with the other 3 on her shoulders and head, she pulls apart the jacket folds to reveal him and sees him lying there sulking.

Glancing up at her and his siblings, his eyes narrowed and he tries to ignore them as best as he could, but Raven wasn't having any of that. Reaching down, but being careful not to jar the two Mews on her shoulders, she scoops the black one up into her hands, to frown down at it. "All right what's the matter with you? Don't you want to come too?" she demanded.

"Mew.... Mew ew Mew!!" <'We don't need you!!'> the black one said as he turned his tiny head away from her. <

"Oh? You sisters and brother don't think so." Raven said as she frowned down at the Mew. "Besides I treat all my Pokémon the same. We've got a sort of partnership going here."

Before the black Mew could say anything, he got into an argument with the other three, and after about 5 minutes he finally backed down, and soon agreed to join with them so that the four of them could stay together.

"So how about names for you guys? I can't call you all Mew, since it'll be too confusing about which one of you it is I'm calling. Right?" Raven asked as she placed each of them down on a rock. "Is that okay with you guys?"

"Mew." they all said nodding their heads in agreement.

"So let me think for a moment." she said as she walked around the small group. Reaching down she picked up the white Mew and stared at her a few moments, before a smile spread on her face. "How about Angel for you?"

Angel thought about it for a moment, before a small smile appeared on her on face that matched her new masters, and she shook her head in acknowledgment.

Gently placing Angel back down she picked up both of the pink Mews. The male one that had a darker shade of blue eyes than the other three. "And you'll be Saphire." she said to it, "and Stardust." she said to the female one who had a lighter shade of blue eyes.

Both Mews agreed to their new names as they joined their sister.

"As for you, you little imp." she said as she faced the black Mew who stared up at her with a defiant look in his eyes. "How does Daimon sound?"

Daimon seemed to get a very human like scowl on his features before he finally grudgingly accepted the name with a plaintive "Mew..."

"Well then." Raven said thoughtfully as she pulled out four empty pokéballs. "Welcome to the team you guys. Your training begins soon." she said before tossing the pokéballs towards them. The pokéballs land a few feet from the foursome, and they open up to suck them inside.

~A Week and a Half later~

"Look's like we're almost out of the Amazon Zone, Daimon" Raven said to Daimon, who was napping on the flap of her backpack as she looked ahead. Stardust, Angel, and Saphire and the rest of her Pokemon were resting within their pokéballs after the last two days of training.

"Mew..." Daimon said tiredly, not even bothering to open his eyes, as he rolled over onto his back.

Finally coming to a clearing that left the forest behind, she climbed up a hill to peer down to see where she was, and let's out a hoot of laughter, that wakes up her companion. "Finally!! We've reached civilization! And some real food."

Raven had been trudging through the Amazon Zone for the last 3 days, trying to find a way out, following any signs she spotted along the way, when she finally saw what looked to be a small village with a Pokémon Center. During the long trek through the Amazon zone, they had started running low on supplies and needed to restock, and find a place for her Pokémon to rest for the rest of the day.

"Finally we can get some real food." she mutters as she starts down the hill towards the town.

Just as she is half way down the hill, she hears a loud rumbling sound coming directly from behind her. Spinning around to look to her right, she spots a small herd of flame haired horse's running across the hillside heading to the west.

"I need to get one of those. They would make traveling a lot faster." Raven cried out as she pulled out her pokédex and points it at the herd.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">*PONYTA. A HORSE POKÉMON OF THE FIRE ELEMENT. ITS HAIR IS ACTUALLY MADE OF LIVING FLAME AND IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO TAME EVEN FOR EXPERT TRAINERS.*</font>

"'Hard to tame' huh? We'll see about that." Raven said with a smirk on her features as she put the pokédex away. As she reaches into her vest to pull out one of her pokéballs, she stops to think about it for a moment. This will be the perfect time to test out one Daimon's training, and since he's already out of his pokéball... "Daimon!"

"Mew?" already awakened by the rumbling sound, Daimon immediately sat up from his perch and then lifted off of the backpack, and hovered up to land on her shoulder, and he stared in the direction of the Ponyta's.

Holding up a balled fist, Raven pointed towards the Ponyta. "Come on! This is a chance to see how your training paid off. Let's go catch me a Ponyta!" she said as she held up a hand flashing a victory sign with her hand, before running off in the direction the Ponyta were headed. "Teleport us over to them."

"Mew!" Daimon cried out as the two disappeared in a flash of light. A few moments later they reappeared 100 meters in front of the incoming herd.

"All right then. Psychic attack! See if you can get 1!" she shouted as she yanked out two empty pokéballs.

Daimon floated over so that he was directly in front of the incoming herd. His eyes and entire body began to glow brightly, as he raised his paws up and pointed them towards the herd.

The Ponyta's saw the strange looking Pokémon in front of them and wouldn't have paid any attention to it if they hadn't spotted Raven standing nearby. Knowing that she might be a trainer, the Ponyta veer off trying to avoid the trainer and the Mew, but it was too late.

Daimon shot out a beam of energy straight at the Ponyta's, and the beam hits one head on, surrounding it in a barrier, and lifts it high up in the seperating it from the others, who continue running.

The Ponyta whinnies in panic as it struggles to get free from the force holding it, to no avail.

"Good work, Daimon." Raven said as she walks over to the two Pokémon, holding the empty pokéball, "Now all I need to do is catch it. POKÉBALL GO!!!" she shouts as throws the pokéball high into the air at Ponyta. The pokéball hits Ponyta in the side and opens up and a red beam of light leaves the ball and sucks Ponyta in.

The pokéball hovers in the air for a few moments, before finally falling and hitting the ground, where it bounced and rolled for a bit as Ponyta tried to break free. A few seconds later the struggle ends, and the ball gives off a satisfying ping as Ponyta finally stopped fighting it's entrapment.

Letting out a laugh of glee, Raven rushes over to pick up the pokéball, and holds it out. "We've got Ponyta!" she shouts out as she holds it out to Daimon, who floats over to her to peer at the pokéball.

"Let's see what we've got." she said as she pushed the release switch on the pokéball, immediately releasing the Ponyta within. Ponyta appeared in a flash of a light, neighing and rearing back on it's hind legs, before silently settling down to stare towards Raven.

Raven walked over cautiously towards Ponyta, planning to keep out of reach of Ponyta's hooves if it decided to attack. Reaching Ponyta's left side, she cautiously reached out with a gentle hand towards Ponyta's back to rub it, when the flames on Ponyta's back suddenly flared up. Raven barely managed to jerk her arm away in time to avoid being burned.

"Mew!" <'Hey stop that!'> Daimon cried as he flew over to Ponyta to scold it.

Ponyta just whinnied and stomped it's foot in anger as he glared at both Daimon and Raven with narrowed eyes.

Raven waved her arm in the air to blow off some of flickers of flame that had caught hold of her arm. "Come on Ponyta! I promise you I won't hurt you." she protested as she tried again only to jump back once more as the flames shot up. "OW!!! Daimon help!" she cried.

Daimon swooped down until he was almost face to face with Ponyta, and started talking to him in high upset tones, while flying side to side as he spoke. "Mew! Mew mew mew mew ew mew...."

Ponyta just stared at Daimon as he spoke, neighing or snorting as he answered Daimon while keeping a weary eye on Raven at the same time, who was busy putting burn salve on her arm where the flames had struck her, and bandaging her arm, trying to completely ignoring the two pokémon as they talked and also ignore the looks Ponyta was shooting her way.

Five minutes later, Daimon came back to Raven and told her the entire story. Raven's eyes narrowed as Daimon's telepathic message ended as she stared towards the Ponyta who was still staring at her wearily but not as much as it had been before.

"... So this Ponyta's parents escaped from a cruel master and joined up with that herd when he was a baby, and she still remembers the kind of treatment he and his family recieved from humans after all these years?" she demanded as she stared back at Daimon for conformation.

"Mew..." Daimon said in agreement.

Raven dropped her bag to the ground to walk up to the Ponyta once more, this time walking right up to it so that they were face to face, and reached out a gentle hand towards Ponyta. "Come on Ponyta." she said cajoling, keeping her tone calm and gentle as she spoke, but Ponyta jerked backwards trying to step back, but Raven kept in step with it. "I'm not like the jerks who had your family before. Daimon must have told you that I treat my Pokémon a lot better than that." she said as a thought came to her. "Wait right here." she said before turning around to head for her backpack.

Searching through her bag she finds what she's looking for and pulls out a carrot and a few cubes of sugar, and walks back over towards Ponyta, holding the one sugar cube in one hand, and the carrot in another. "Here, this is for you, girl." she said offering the two treats to the horse.

Ponyta took a few tentative steps towards her, sniffing first at the carrot and then at the sugar cube, before it's mouth moved over the sugar cube to lap it up, then moved her head towards the carrot to snatch out of her hand and eat it.

"I'm not as bad as you might think some humans are, Ponyta." Raven said as she watched Ponyta eat the treats, she reached out tentatively to brush one hand down Ponyta's muzzle. Ponyta jerked her head away for a moment stepping backwards in anxiety, before taking a few steaps back forward, the carrot and sugar cube now finished and was now seeking more, as she nuzzled Raven's side, seeking the remaining sugar cubes she could smell inside Raven's pants pocket.

"You want more?" she asked as she reached into her pocket and pulled out the remaining cubes, which was soon gobbled up by Ponyta. "Will you trust me enough to be my Pokémon?" she said as she tentatively moved alongside Ponyta's back, her hands brushing against Ponyta's furry skin, without the flames burning her.

Ponyta looked at her for a moment, a cautious look in it's eyes, as it glanced back towards Daimon. Seeing the anxious look in Daimon's eyes, Ponyta relented. Besides it found that it was enjoying Raven's touch too much, as it gave a shake of it's head in acknowledgment to her request.

"Thank you... Firestar." Raven said as she gave Firestar a small hug. "And thanks Daimon." she said giving Daimon a knowing look

"Mew..." Daimon said sheepishly

~A Short While Later~

After some hardship, Raven soon sat astride Ponyta's back. Sitting with her legs on either side of Firestar's flanks, and her pack back on her back with Daimon back on his perch on the packs top, they were finally ready to go.

Looking up into the sky, she could see that the sun is getting ready to set at any moment, and she grabbed fistfulls of Firestar's burning mane, and gently pulled on it, and clicked her heels on Firestar's sides. "Come on Firestar. Let's go to the town. I can drop you guys off at the Pokémon Center to be treated and then I can go get something to eat myself, along with a room."

Firestar whinnied as she reared up on her hind legs as she broke off into a run head.

As they rode, Raven reached backwards and pulled Daimon off her pack, "As for you, Daimon." she said as she pulled out Daimon's pokéball. "In you go. You know how we can't take any risks in town. You and your siblings are too rare not to risk getting snatched by Pokémon thieves."

"Mew..." <'Aw man...'> Daimon complained as he allowed himself to be pulled back into his pokéball by the red beam.

As Firestar pulled up to the city limits, she breaks into a trot as she walks down the street, towards the Pokémon Center as Raven guided her. As they go, Raven glances at a nearby sign, and as she reads the sign a smile appeared on her mouth.

Welcome Travelers to Viridian City

Home to the Viridian City Pokémon Gym

"Yes! Another Pokémon gym!" she exclaimed as they went past the sign. "Now I can earn my next badge, tomorrow after I get my Pokémon treated at the center."

To Be Continued