Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Ripples ❯ Finding Answers ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Ripples

Chapter 7

Kerri: Finding Answers

I hadn’t slept well. By some miracle, I hadn’t picked up any stray thoughts from anyone’s mind, even though there were five more human minds in the house than I was used to. My mental shields were holding.
I got up and took a shower. I had to wash the hair three times, using a quarter of a bottle of shampoo in the process, but I finally rid the hair of the ton of hairspray that had been in it. After I finished, I studied the body I was occupying. The face was undeniably beautiful; Jessie's hair had a lovely wave to it that I didn’t have in my own arrow-straight hair, even with the modifications I‘d made, and Jessie was right about one thing: she did have quite a figure. However, her hair was such a bright shade of red that it made me shudder. I wonder if it’s natural, I thought. I wouldn’t dare ask, though.
As I stared into the mirror, Merlin exclaimed, “Mistress! I have remembered an old legend that might be of some help in your dilemma.”
“Which is?” I said as I dried myself off and pulled on a robe. The hair was rapidly starting to curl, so I put it in a ponytail.
“I do not remember much of it; it is something I heard when I was a young Abra. Long ago, there was a human wizard named Drachti who feared getting old, and he envied his nephew his youth, so he found a way to swap bodies with him. Thus he lived for a long time, switching from one body to another, until someone caught up with him and punished him,” said Merlin. “That, unfortunately, is all I remember.”
“Did anyone come up with a way to undo this?” I said.
“Not that I recall, but there is somewhere I could go to find out more,” replied Merlin.
“Well, let’s go then,” I said. “It’s better than waiting around here with Team Rocket in my house.”
“You do not understand. This is a place where only psychic pokémon can go. I must go alone,” replied Merlin sadly.
I turned pale and began to shake. Merlin had been with me almost constantly (except for rests inside its poké ball or trips to the pokémon center) since shortly after my psychic powers had manifested themselves. I was too afraid to be without it, especially with five strange human minds in the house.
<<Merlin, please don't go!>> I sent fearfully.
<<It is only temporary, >> Merlin said. <<I will return as quickly as I can. >>
<<But can’t I look for information on my own? >> I said mentally.
<<Yes, but this is a definite lead. >> Sensing my doubt and fear, which were gnawing at me like wolves trying to get the last meat off a bone that has otherwise been licked clean, it continued, <<The sooner we can get you both back into your own bodies, the better. Do not worry. I will return, and I will not abandon you. >>
Wanderlust and Jade looked at me in concern. They had overheard the part about Merlin having to leave, but the rest of the conversation had been telepathic.
“Are you sure that we can't go with you?” said Jade.
Merlin nodded. Tears filled my eyes.
“The sooner I go, the sooner I will be able to return,” Merlin said. I let Merlin go, and without further adieu, it teleported.
I collapsed on the bed and started sobbing. I lost track of time, for the next thing I heard other than myself was a knock at the door.
“Um, Jessie--sorry, I mean Kerri--your brother wanted me to tell you that breakfast is ready,” said Misty.
“Okay, I’ll be down as soon as I get dressed,” I said, trying not to sound too hoarse.
“Are you okay?” said Misty.
“Um, yeah--it’s just my allergies acting up again,” I replied.
“Wouldn't your allergies be in your real body?” asked Misty.
I sighed. She'd seen through my flimsy excuse, but I really didn't want to talk about it. "Well, I--I--look, I don't want to talk about it! Leave me alone!" I snapped.
There was a moment of silence. "Well, if you change your mind, I'm willing to talk," said Misty, and I heard her go back downstairs. Attempting to regain my composure, I got myself dressed, picked up Jessie’s sunglasses and put them on, and went downstairs, trailed by Jade and Wanderlust.
The others were already seated at the breakfast table. I tried to avoid looking at Jessie, but I could feel her eyes boring into me. James was trying not to look at me, but I kept catching him glancing at me. I took a seat next to Ash, who flinched.
Misty elbowed him and whispered sharply, “Ash, remember, that’s not Jessie right now.”
“Oh yeah, I forgot,” said Ash. “Hi, Kerri.”
“Chu,” said Pikachu, which meant, ("This is so confusing. . .”)
“Sunglasses at breakfast--how interesting,” said Brock.
“Hi Kerr,” said my brother. “Brock cooked breakfast for us.”
“That’s nice,” I said. I took some food, but I hardly ate anything because I was so upset. Everyone kept looking at me, so I finally said, “Well, I do have some good news: Merlin remembered something about an old legend that might explain why Jessie and I switched bodies.”
That got everyone’s attention. I told them what Merlin had told me and how it said that only it could go where it had to go. “And so it’s gone off in search of more information about this Drachti person,” I said.
“I hate sitting around here doing nothing,” said Jessie irritably. For once, I actually agreed with her.
“We can search for information on our own,” I said. “My mother used to collect old stories--we have a pretty big library, and we have Internet access.”
“Used to collect?” said Ash. “So she doesn’t do that anymore?”
“No,” I said sadly. I looked at Nigel, and continued, “Our parents were killed in a car accident about two and a half years ago.”
Everyone suddenly looked very sad--even Jessie, which surprised me.
“I’m sorry,” Ash, Misty, and Brock said simultaneously.
“So am I,” said James, who looked as if he were trying to fight back tears.
“Meowth three,” said Meowth.
Jessie shifted uncomfortably in her chair.
Misty glared at Jessie.
Jessie mumbled something about being sorry, but I doubted that she was.
We sat there in silence for a few long moments.
Nigel said, “We need to find information, but we also need to take care of the pokémon. Um, how good are you guys at taking care of pokémon?”
Brock said, “I’m studying to be the world’s best pokémon breeder. I have to say that I’d like to see more of this place. I’d be glad to help you in any way that I can.”
Misty said, “My specialty is water pokémon, but I’d be willing to help, too.”
Ash said, “I’m training to be the world’s greatest pokémon master!” Boy, he was enthusiastic!
Nigel said, “Well, we don’t have many water pokémon--we specialize in grass pokémon--but we appreciate whatever help you can give us. I have an idea, Kerr. Brock can help me with the chores, and you and the others can look through the library and on the Internet.”
Everyone nodded in agreement. Brock and my brother traipsed off to help Diana and Steve do the chores, and the rest of us headed for the library. I broke out some books, and we all started searching--even Meowth.
“You can read?” I said to Meowth.
“Yeah,” he replied. “I taught myself how.”
“That’s quite an accomplishment,” I said. “I’ve never met a pokémon who could speak a human language before, much less read.”
He looked at me with happiness in his eyes and--blushed? “Thanks.”
“Let’s just get on with this,” grumbled Jessie.
We searched and searched. I didn’t trust any of them with the computer, so I did all of the computer research myself. My mind was racing; I couldn’t stand the thought of Jessie occupying my body and I wanted her out of it and my life as fast as possible.
The next thing that I was aware of was a voice saying, "Kerri, I brought you something to eat."
"Press Control-S to save," I murmured as my sandblasted, unfocused eyes stared at the screen.
"Earth to Kerri," said Brock.
"Huh? What?" I said.
"Kerri, do you realize how long you've been at this?" said Brock.
I closed my eyes a moment. I knew I'd been sitting there for a while. Since the time I started my research, I'd gotten up twice during the bathroom and once to get a drink of water. I'd noticed that James had been asleep on the cot the last time I'd gotten up.
"Um, fourteen hours, I think," I said.
"No...you've been here for more than a day, Kerri," said Brock.
More than a day? How could I believe that? I glanced at the clock and saw the date. My eyes widened in shock.
I'd come home on the evening of April first, and the next afternoon at 1:30, I'd started my research. The clock on the toolbar now said April 4, 8:45 p.m. And it was dark out. I'd been there for over thirty hours.
“So how’s it going?” asked Brock, who was holding a tray.
“Um, pretty good,” I said wearily. “I haven’t been able to sleep because of what’s been happening.”
Brock nodded in understanding as he put down the tray.
“I’m so relieved,” I said. “It took a lot of searching and hunting, but I found some information that may help us. I saved all of the information on a disk."
Brock said, “You mean the one that your Magnemite is sitting on?”
“Yes, that’s the--”
Hematite? What was Hematite doing out of its poké ball? I looked. Sure enough, there was my Magnemite, Hematite, sitting on my disk.
I knew what that meant: my research had just gone up in smoke!
“NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!” I shrieked.
I cursed, took out the poké ball, and angrily said, “Hematite, return!”
Hematite got sucked back into the poké ball. I kicked the garbage can across the room in frustration and said words that I wouldn’t have dared say in front of Ash and Misty.
“Maybe you better get some rest,” said Brock.
I nodded. I staggered upstairs, glanced at the clock, which read 9:02, and went to sleep.
When I regained consciousness, the clock read 3:22 p.m., and I saw Merlin sitting at the foot of my bed. I exclaimed in surprise and gave it a hug.
<<You're back! I am so glad to see you! When did you get back?>> I sent ecstatically.
<<About two hours ago,>> replied Merlin.
<<Why didn't you wake me up?>> I replied.
<<Jade told me of what happened with your research, and you needed your rest.>>
<<I hope you've had better luck than I have,>> I answered.
<<I have. I know now what must be done to undo this. Call the others together.>>
After taking a shower and getting something to eat, that's exactly what I did.
As Meowth translated, Merlin said, “Somewhere in a far-away valley, there is supposed to be a cave where the Thrones of Drachti are rumored to be. They can switch you two back.”
“Well, let’s go then!” cried Jessie.
“Wait,” said Merlin. I understood Merlin perfectly, but I hadn’t let that be known. “In order to get the thrones to work, we need to have the necklaces of Drachti.”
“We got those already,” said Meowth.
Merlin continued, “We also need to have seven matched sets of pokémon of the following elements: poison, grass, ground, water, flying, fire, and electric.”
“Matched sets?” asked Ash.
“Each pair must contain a pokémon of the appropriate element and a more evolved form of it. For example, for water you could have a Squirtle and a Wartortle, or a Wartortle and a Blastoise. Once you get to the chamber, each pair must launch an attack that it has in common simultaneously in the order I just gave--from poison to electric. When the energies have been gathered, the thrones will activate and you should be returned to your normal bodies,” lectured Merlin.
Jessie looked hopeful. “Oh, to be back where I belong. . .” she said dreamily.
“Hmm, let’s see. Jessie has an Arbok, and Nigel has an Ekans, so that takes care of the poison element,” said James.
“I’ve got a Bulbasaur,” said Ash.
“And I’ve got a Venusaur,” said Nigel.
“I’ve got a Geodude,” offered Brock.
"Misty and I don’t have any rock pokémon,” said Ash.
“I have a Sandshrew...no, that doesn't help," I said.
“But I also have a Geodude,” said Nigel.
We all started looking nervous.
“Well, maybe one of them is ready to evolve,” I said hopefully.
“Maybe,” said Brock. “Um, what was the next element?”
“Water,” said Merlin.
“Well, I’ve got both a Staryu and a Starmie,” said Misty.
“Yeah, but your Psyduck always comes out whenever you call one of the others,” said Ash.
Misty looked angry and embarrassed at the same time. “Well, I want to help!”
Ash said, “You know I’m right.”
“You are, Ash, but chill out. Let her be,” said Brock.
“I’ll just call Psyduck out before I call Staryu and Starmie,” said Misty.
“That leaves flying, fire, and electric,” I said. “I’ve got a Pidgeot.”
“And I’ve got a Pidgeotto,” said Ash. “All right, four down, three to go!”
“Fire....hmm...I’ve got a Charizard and an Arcanine.” I said.
“I’ve got a Charizard too! Wait, that doesn’t help,” said Ash.
“You wouldn’t happen to have a Ninetales, would you?” said Brock.
I shook my head. “Why do you--oh yeah, that’s right--you have a Vulpix.”
“I don’t have any fire pokémon,” said Misty.
“Neither do I,” replied my brother.
“I don’t either,” said James.
“Hey James, ain’t you forgetting something?” said Meowth. “You got your Growlithe, don’t you?”
James turned pale. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”
“You know, the one you have at home,” said Meowth.
“I can’t go home! You know that! And it’s not my home--not anymore!” cried James in fury. I also sensed that he was tremendously afraid, too. “Don’t. Even. Think. Of. Asking. Me. That. Again!” He clobbered Meowth and ran from the table.
“What’s with him?” I asked as Ash, Misty, and Brock exchanged glances.
“James didn’t get along with his parents, so he had to run away from home, and that’s where his Growlithe is --with his parents,” said Brock sadly.
“Well, we may be able to get a Charmander or Charmeleon from somewhere,” I said. “Poor James. All right, we have one more element--electric. Ash, both you and I have pikachu. I also have a Magnemite. Would any of you happen to have a Magneton or a Raichu?”
They all shook their heads.
“Here we go again,” I sighed. “I don’t think my Magnemite is ready to evolve, and it wouldn’t be easy to catch a Magneton.”
“You have a Magnemite?” said Ash. “Could I see it?”
I grumbled. Hematite was the last pokémon I wanted to see right now. Thirty hours of research down the drain!
"What's wrong?" said Ash.
"It wiped out all of her research on that wizard guy," said Brock.
"Oh, I'm sorry," said Ash. "Could I see it if we get away from all of the electrical appliances?"
We did so.
“Sure,” I said. I called it out. It floated around the room, bobbing up and down, and looking at everyone.
It spoke in its usual string of unintelligible numbers.
“Meowth, what’s it saying?” said Jessie.
Meowth repeated what Hematite said, and to us, this is what it sounded like: "1001001100111010101000100101010101100010010001011010010100 00010000011001100--" and then his eyes went unfocused and he gasped for breath. Yes, that's what I got too every time I heard Hematite speak. Unlike my other pokémon, I could never understand what it was saying. Know what it was feeling, yes. Understand what it was saying? Not by a long shot.
“And what’s that supposed to mean?!?demanded Jessie.
“I dunno,” said Meowth.
“I thought you could understand all pokémon!” yelled Jessie.
I can-dat’s what it said!" said Meowth.
Ash smiled smugly. “Well, I can speak to it in its own language,” said Ash. “Hey there Magnemite. I am Ash, soon to be the world’s greatest pokémon master!”
“Here he goes again,” sighed Misty.
Hematite floated in the air and looked through Ash as if he weren’t there.
“And now,” Ash intoned with formality, “I shall speak to you in your own language!”
Yeah, like how was he going to do that? I was a telepath, and even I couldn’t speak to Hematite in its own language!
“This should be good,” said Misty.
“10001001001001100001,” said Ash conversationally.
Amazingly, the “words” caught Hematite’s attention! The metallic pokémon slowly turned to focus on Ash.
“See! I told you I could talk with it!” exclaimed Ash, turning to Misty.
I saw Hematite flush dark red and quiver angrily. I’d never seen it look so mad.
“Ash, look out!” cried Brock.
“Wha? AAAHHH!” screamed Ash as Hematite zapped him.
“What did I say? What did I say!” exclaimed Ash as Hematite chased him around the room.
“I don’t know him,” sighed Misty, shaking her head.
Pikachu laughed hysterically, as did Jessie and Meowth.
I don’t know what you said, but you really ticked off Hematite, I thought. “Hematite, return!” However, it refused to return to its poké ball.
“I think you better apologize, Ash,” I said.
“I’m sorry! I’m really sorry! Just stop zapping me!” cried Ash.
<<I think he’s sorry, Hematite. Let him go,>> I sent. It stopped and looked at me. I could sense it was still angry, but fortunately for Ash, it decided to obey me, and that time I was able to return it to the poké ball.
“There is one more thing,” said Merlin after everyone had calmed down from Ash's show. “If you do not switch back by the next full moon, it is likely that you will remain like this permanently.”
That meant we had about two and a half weeks to undo what had been done to us.
“Now it tells us,” growled Jessie.
“Well, the way I see it is this,” said Brock. “We’ve got poison, flying, water, and grass pokémon. If one of our Geodudes is ready to evolve, that will solve the rock pokémon problem. With fire and electricity, we’ve got a problem. Charmanders are usually only given to beginning trainers, and wild Charmeleons aren’t something you tend to see."
"Actually, we might be able to," said Nigel. "As breeders, we often trade pokémon with each other. That's how Mom and Dad got Wanderlust for Kerr. We can start by calling that place."
Brock nodded. "But there's another thing: is it fair to get a pokémon just to undo what’s happened to Jessie and Kerri?”
“Hey, you’re not the one who had this happen to you! I think it’s perfectly fair!” cried Jessie.
“I suppose I could raise another Charmander,” I said. “But Firestorm might get jealous.”
“My Charizard sure would,” said Ash.
“Hey, I’ll do you a favor,” cooed Jessie. “I’ll take it.”
“No way!” cried Ash. “You don’t know the first thing about taking care of pokémon! I don’t trust you!”
Jessie growled.
“Hey Brock, would you want a Charmander?” asked Ash.
“I don’t know about that,” said Brock.
“What about you, Nigel?” I asked sweetly.
“Hey, I’m not a pyromaniac!” he retorted.
“Nigel, you’ve never had any fire pokémon. I took you at your word when you told me to get some water pokémon. It’s only fair that you should try,” I said.
“Okay,” said Nigel. “If we can find one, I’ll train it.”
“That leaves us with electricity. I suppose I could try to catch a Magneton, or see how close my own Magnemite is to evolving, and then catch another Magnemite,” I said.
“Kerr, we’re pretty far from where Magnemite live,” said Nigel.
“But you know what the only other option is: one of our pikachu would have to evolve via the thunderstone,” I said.
“Pika! Pikapi, pi ka chu, chu!” Pikachu exclaimed worriedly. (“ ! Ash, you know I don’t want to evolve!”)
“I wouldn’t force you to, Pikachu,” said Ash.
Jade had a pained look on its face. Then it said, “Kerri, if you can’t get another Magnemite, you can evolve me. I’ll become a Raichu so that you and Jessie can get back to normal. This is kind of my fault, after all. If I hadn’t thunder shocked you, you and Jessie wouldn’t be in this mess.”
Meowth translated, and Jessie snarled, “You’re right it is, you little rat."
Jade’s ears sagged, and my eyes narrowed as I stared angrily at Jessie.
“No!” retorted Pikachu. “It was because of those necklaces! We didn’t know! Be proud of who you are! Evolve because you want to, not just because you think this is all your fault! It’s not your fault this happened! It's a coincidence that they both happened to be wearing the necklaces and we thunder shocked them at the same time! Remember, Jade, once you become a Raichu, you can‘t ever be a Pikachu again!
“That’s right!” said Meowth.
“What’d it say?” said Jessie. Meowth translated.
“Whose side are you on!” yelled Jessie as her face turned red with anger.
“Hey! You ain’t no pokémon, so shut up! Pokémon should evolve when they’re good and ready! I could become a Persian if I wanted to, but I like being who I am! I ain’t evolvin', and Jade shouldn’t have to, either!”
Jessie said, “Why, you little--” She smacked Meowth, and Meowth scratched her. Then I hit Meowth.
“Hey, what’s da big idea?” he said.
“That may be Jessie you’re arguing with, but that’s my body! Don’t you dare scratch it again, or I’ll knock you into next week! Do I make myself clear!” I yelled.
Meowth unsheathed his claws, but then found itself faced with Wanderlust and Jade glaring at him. Meowth got a scared look on his face and retracted his claws.
“Sorry, I forgot. Anyways, where was I? Oh yeah. Jessie, do you remember when you and James tried to force Arbok and Weezing to evolve? They wouldn’t do it. It wasn’t until you and James accepted dem as dey were that dey chose to evolve.” Meowth folded his arms. Jessie bit her lip and looked chastened.
“That’s right,” replied Wanderlust. “Choose carefully. Evolving isn’t for everyone, and it’s not something that should be rushed.”
“But you evolved,” said Jade.
“Yes, I did, but I did it because I wanted to, and I spent a lot of time and did a lot of training as a Growlithe before Kerri finally evolved me. You were there, remember? Remember how much we talked about it before we finally did it?” said Wanderlust.
Jade nodded.
“And my trainer’s Bulbasaur had the opportunity to evolve, and it chose not to,” said Pikachu.
“We’ll check into other options,” I said. “Jade, you don’t have to evolve.”
Misty kneeled and front of Jade and with an encouraging smile said, “That’s right, Jade--no one should be forced to evolve. For example Brock and I don’t try to push Ash into evolving into a human being.”
“That’s right!” exclaimed Ash brightly. “I’ll evolve into a human being when I’m good and--HEY!”


Converting /tmp/phpA5Cve8 to /dev/stdout