Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Ripples ❯ The Revelation ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Ripples

Chapter 9

Kerri: The Revelation

Brock and Misty were chatting nonchalantly about something, and Ash kept chiming in. Jessie and James were eating in silence, as was Steve. Diana had already gone off to do her chores. She didn’t want to be around Brock. Brock was a nice guy, but he was overeager. Well, there was one good thing about this body switch: Brock was not attracted to my body because Jessie was in it. In a way, that was a relief. I know I would have been pretty ticked off if I’d had to deal with him.
<<Nigel, I’m scared,>> I sent to my brother.
Kerr, that’s normal. But it’s about time you told them. I mean, we don’t know what we’ll be facing when we go to try and free you guys from this, thought Nigel.
When they’d finished breakfast, I said, “Guys, I have something to tell you.”
They looked at me. Ash, Misty, and Brock were curious, and Jessie was irritated. Then again, that seemed to be the mood she always had. Nigel was calm, and James waited expectantly.
“Like Ash, Nigel and I were once aspiring pokémon masters. Yet we knew that one day our parents wanted us to take over this farm. However, ‘someday’ came much sooner than we wanted when our parents died in a car accident two and a half years ago,” I said.
Jessie yawned.
I continued, “Nigel’s hopes of becoming a pokémon master ended when our parents died. But mine ended much sooner for a different reason.”
Tremendous fear rose up in my chest. My brother squeezed my hand.
Taking a deep breath, I said, “I collapsed during my sixth gym match. I was in a coma for over a month, and when I woke up, I found out that I had psychic powers.”
I didn’t have to look into Ash, Misty, Brock, and Pikachu’s minds to know that they were tremendously afraid. So was Meowth. They all backed up a few feet.
Steve, my brother, and James stayed near me.
There was a long silence.
Jessie looked at me with utter skepticism. "Psychic, schmichic! Ha! You just couldn't cut it in the Pokemon League, so you had to come up with a lame excuse! Quiver in fear, twerps, but I don't believe it! You're full of hot air, Miss Goody Two Shoes!"
Not being able to cut it in the Pokemon League? Ooh, she was going to pay for that! My eyes blazed as the table, the chairs, and the cabinet began to shake.
The others gasped and stood back.
Nigel put his hands on my shoulders. "Kerr, remember whose body that is," said Nigel.
My brother was right. I couldn't let my full fury out--that was my actual body over there, and if I got too angry, I could end up hurting a lot more people. I took a few deep breaths, and the furniture stopped shaking.
Everyone else breathed a sigh of relief.
Jessie stuck her tongue out at me.
It's not over yet, Jessie, I thought as I used my telekinesis to dump a large pitcher of water on her (okay, my) head.
Jessie spluttered in indigation. Ash, Misty, Pikachu, and Brock started laughing. Steve and James gaped in astonishment.
Meowth said, "Told ya so."
Nigel whispered, "Feel better now?"
<<Oh yes,>> I sent back to him.
Jessie looked horrified. She then grabbed Meowth and shook him. “Meowth! Do-you-realize-that-she-could-be-reading-our-minds-at-this-very-moment!R 21;
“Don’t worry, I don’t read trash like that,” I replied.
Jessie threw Meowth at me. I telekinetically deflected him and made him land softly in a nearby chair.
"Thanks for da landing," said Meowth. "Geez, my enemies are more considerate dan my friends. What a life."
"How is this possible!" Jessie snarled. "I'm in her body, but she still has her psychic powers--in my body!"
"That is a good question," said Ash.
Merlin, who was out of its poke ball for this, said, "There are two reasons for this. One is that psychic powers are of the mind. More importantly, I suspect that Drachti designed these amulets so that he would retain his powers regardless of whose body he ended up in. Apparently, the amulets will do this for any psychic who wears them."
Meowth translated that.
"It's not fair!" cried Jessie. Then she noticed that James was near me. “James, get away from her! She’s psychic!”
James said, “You’re acting like she has a disease, Jessie. And I doubt we have to be near her for her to read our minds if she wants to.”
“James is right, actually,” said Steve.
“James, I--I think you better listen to Jessie!” said Ash fearfully.
Nigel took a deep breath. “I know it’s normal to fear what you don’t understand, but trust me--I’ve known my sister all my life, and she won’t hurt you unless you provoke her.”
Steve nodded in agreement.
“That’s what we’re afraid of,” said Brock.
“We don’t want to be turned into dolls again!” cried Misty.
“Huh?” I said.
“We met another psychic once, and she literally treated us like we were her toys!” said Misty. “I don’t ever want to go through that again!”
“I’m not going to do that to you,” I said.
“How do we know that we can believe you?” said Misty. “Name one good thing that psychic powers have ever done for anyone besides the person who has them!”
“Do you wonder why Firestorm and Wanderlust abruptly stopped battling when we first met? It wasn’t only Merlin’s doing; I gave them a telepathic command to stop attacking. I avoided an unnecessary battle,” I said.
“I guess,” said Brock. “But you probably did that for your own pokémon.”
I didn’t know what else to say. The incident with the telekinetic shield had saved James, Meowth, and myself, but hadn’t benefited Ash or his friends in any way.
What do I do? I thought.
“I’ll do more than tell you what good psychic powers can do,” said James. “I’ll show you.”
“What are you babbling about?” snarled Jessie.
“All of you have to come with me and see,” said James.
Jessie sighed. Inwardly, I smiled. I knew what James was up to.
James got up and started walking out the door. We all followed him. James led us to the river, which was raging along just as it had been when we had left it earlier that morning.
“Big deal, it’s a river,” said Jessie. “James, we’re not here to sightsee!”
“This morning, I was going for a walk when I lost my balance and started sliding toward the water. I went over the edge.”
Nigel, Steve, and I knew about the river. The others all looked at the long drop.
“But when you came in, youse was muddy, but not wet," replied Meowth.
“I was inches from the water when I felt something pull me back up, yet nothing was there,” said James. “Kerri pulled me back with her telekinesis. She saved my life.”
“I don’t believe it!” said Ash.
“Actually, I do,” said Brock.
“Hey! Whose side are you on? How can you believe anything James says?” said Ash.
“He took the news pretty calmly when Kerri told us. That means he probably already knew,” replied Brock.
“I guess you could count this as something ‘good’,” quipped Misty.
“Of course it’s good--this handsome face will continue to grace the world!” replied James happily.
Ash, Misty, and Brock sighed and rolled their eyes.
“Well, I’ve got an even better idea,” said Meowth. He walked over to me. “Kerri, you can do so much with your powers. How’d you like to make me--I mean, us--rich?”
“By doing what?” I said.
“Oh, by ‘helping’ at cards, roulette, tings like dat.”
“As in reading people’s minds so you know what cards the other players have, and making the roulette wheel fall on the number that you bet on?” I replied.
“Uh huh,” said Meowth. “Think how much money we could make!”
“What about us?” said James.
Jessie said, “Yeah, what about us?”
“Of course youse guys would be in on it--I need somebody to play cards while she’s reading people’s minds!” yelled Meowth.
I could almost see the dollar signs dancing in James’ and Meowth’s eyes. They started to dance in Jessie’s, but then she shook her head, clenched her fists and said, “I won’t do it! No amount of money is worth putting up with her!”
“For once, Jessie, I actually agree with you,” I replied.
“But we could be rich, Jessie!” said James.
“Yeah!” said Meowth. “Jessie, I’ve never known you to turn down a chance to make money!”
“Well, there are some things that just aren’t worth it! Meowth, how would you like it if someone offered you lots of money, but you had to become a Persian in order to get it?” said Jessie.
“I wouldn’t become a Persian for any amount of money!” yelled Meowth. “How dare you suggest dat!” He launched himself at Jessie, who was still in my body, and I telekinetically propelled him to the top of a high tree.
Nigel, Ash, and his friends started laughing. Jessie and James blinked in surprise, as did Steve.
“Congratulations, Kerri,” said Misty. “You just did something good with your psychic powers.”
“Get me down from here!” yelled Meowth as he clung to the top of the tree with his claws.
“Are you sorry for trying to damage my body?” I said.
“I never apologize!” he exclaimed.
“Then you’re getting no help from me,” I said.
“Um, we need some time to process this,” said Brock. Ash and Misty nodded in agreement, as did Jessie. Ash and his friends went one way, and Jessie and James went another. Meowth stayed up in the tree.
I returned to my painting; Nigel and Steve went off to do the chores. As a result, I spent the rest of that day without our guests.

The next day, Ash, Misty and Brock came to talk to me while I was doing another painting.
“We, um, just wanted to say that we apologize for the way we treated you yesterday,” said Brock.
“We had some really bad experiences with another psychic, but when we first met her, she was kind of, well, sick,” said Misty. “But after she was cured, she became a nice person. And you seem pretty nice.”
“Thanks,” I said. “I’m sorry if I scare you--that’s why I don’t tell most people about my powers.”
Ash and his friends were nice to me again. James was nice to me on the rare occasions that I saw him. Even Meowth wasn’t too bad.
Jessie, however, was now both angry at and scared of me.

Converting /tmp/phpfSigae to /dev/stdout