Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Ripples ❯ Sacrifice ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Ripples

Chapter 10

Jade: Sacrifice

Time went on. After many battles, Nigel’s Geodude evolved into a Graveler.
We had our poison, plant, rock, water, and flying pokémon. But we didn't have our fire or electric pokémon.
Kerri and I walked into the office as Nigel spoke to the videophone screen. "I see. Well, thank you anyway." With that, he broke the connection and slumped in his chair.
"Kerr, I hate to tell you this, but the Laramie ranch doesn't have any Charmanders either," said Nigel.
Kerri sighed bitterly. "Then we'll just have to call another place."
Nigel said slowly, "Kerr...that was the last place. All of the Charmanders have gone to beginning trainers, and there won't be any more for another three months or so."
Kerri sat down hard on a chair and hugged herself. "I--I can't stay like this," she said. I nuzzled her leg, and she sat up; at that point, I jumped into her lap, and she hugged me. "Well, if there are no Charmanders, we have to get a Ninetales, or a Growlithe...Nigel, I keep thinking about that Growlithe that James has,” Kerri said.
“Kerr, he doesn’t want to go home,” said Nigel.
“I know, but we've only got nine days left until the next full moon! You heard Merlin! If we don't get this undone by then, I'll probably be stuck in Jessie's body forever!” Kerri said. Taking a deep breath, she continued, “If we can persuade James to help us, we could get Merlin to help us get in there, go in, have James persuade the Growlithe to help us, and teleport out.”
“But someone will discover it’s gone sooner or later,” said Nigel.
“We‘ll worry about that later,” she replied. "Besides, do you remember how many times Wanderlust wandered off? Some pokémon tend to do that, you know. And Merlin and I can deal with whatever we may encounter."

But we still had to persuade James. We called a meeting.
"James, we've got bad news," said Nigel. "We've called every pokémon farm we know of, and they don't have any Charmanders."
“So we need to get your Growlithe,” Kerri said.
“I told you not to ask me that,” said James with a mixture of anger and fear in his voice.
She sighed. “James, do you really want us to stay like this? Time is running out for us.”
“But my parents’ house is like Fort Knox! You can’t break in!” he said as his voice rose half an octave.
“First of all, we’re not stealing anything; Growlie belongs to you. Second, do you really want to hear my voice instead of Jessie’s every time you do the motto? How would you feel if you and Nigel had switched bodies? Third, you have Merlin’s and my help. If you mentally picture where we have to go, we can teleport in and out without anyone knowing we were ever there," Kerri said.
James started hyperventilating, and I thought he was going to faint.
He whimpered, "Please, no--don't ask me to go there--no...."
Kerri turned pale and clenched her fist. James was undoubtedly radiating strong emotions, and Kerri had to make her mental shields strong so she wouldn't get swept up in his feelings..
“James?” said Jessie, looking at him pleadingly.
His breathing started to calm down, and finally he said, “All right, I’ll do it for Jess.”
Merlin, James, Meowth, Kerri, and I teleported to the location given to us, although James tensed up so much mentally that we were almost unable to get the coordinates. It was only repeated pleading from Jessie and promises from Kerri that she'd protect him from his parents that got him to go.
We arrived in a grandiose study. Oddly, though, I was only catching the scent of an unfamiliar Growlithe and a couple of humans.
“Wow, your parents have a nice place here,” Kerri whispered.
“Shh!” said James. “Actually, it’s the doghouse.”
The dog house? I thought. Wow... that's one lucky Growlithe!
We heard the sound of an angry Growlithe coming toward us. It snarled until it saw James, then started whining.
“It’s okay, Growlie,” said James, who bent down to pet it. It licked his face. Tears formed in his eyes. “Listen Growlie. I know I told you to stay here to look after my parents, but I need your help. A friend of mine has a very serious problem. Will you come with me, just for a little while?”
It nodded, and James hugged it. We heard the sounds of approaching footsteps.
“We better get out of here,” Kerri whispered, and we teleported back to our house.
Growlie was very happy to see James. It was also happy to see Wanderlust. Whenever Growlie wasn't with James, it spent time with its old littermate catching up on news.

While Nigel had been trying to get a Charmander, Kerri had been trying to get a Magneton. Now we had all but one type of pokémon: the electric type. I hoped that Kerri would find a Magneton, but she wasn’t having any luck.
The night after we got Growlie, I witnessed something that surprised me.
Kerri was off doing something with the books; Nigel was doing some chores with Brock, and Ash and Misty were watching TV.
I passed by the room that Kerri’s parents had occupied when they were alive, and I overheard Jessie say, “I can’t stand it! Every time I look at that girl in my body, I want to kill her for what she did to my hair! She ruined my perfection, James! My hair is--was-- my pride and joy! And even worse, now I’m stuck in this pitiful excuse for a body! Horrendous voice, flat chest, straight, limp hair, no figure whatsoever! No wonder her parents named her ‘Kerri’! They didn’t know if she was a boy or a girl!”
I peeked in the door and I saw Jessie sitting on the bed clenching her fists. James was sitting beside her.
“Jessie, Kerri cut your hair short, and I’m sorry. But you can’t really hold Kerri responsible. She’s probably mentally unbalanced from having to live in her body, such as it is. But remember Jess, your hair will grow back, whereas Kerri’s figure will never get any better,” replied James. He was trying to sound reassuring. I got angry. I didn't really care about this "figure" stuff, but I knew it meant a lot to human women, and after what he'd said to Kerri and how he'd reacted to her, how could he say such a thing? As Jessie began gloating at the thought, I saw him cross his fingers behind his back. Ash’s Pikachu was right: they were a bunch of crooks!
Jessie smirked. “That’s true. Her brother got all the looks, and she got left with nothing.” Then the smirk left her face and terror filled it. She gripped James by the shoulders and said, “James, we’ve got to get a Magneton! Or a Raichu! I can’t live like this!” She began crying.
I ran to find Wanderlust.
“Jade, what’s wrong?” replied Wanderlust.
I told it what I’d just seen.
“Time’s running out,” I said. “Being in each other’s bodies is a strain for both of them, but I’m really afraid that if something isn’t done, Jessie will do something stupid. She wants to kill Kerri,” I said, trembling in fear and anger.
“I think James will stop her,” said Wanderlust. “And if he fails, Kerri can defend herself quite well. If they fought, it would be Jessie who would lose out.”
“And Kerri too! If Kerri was forced to kill Jessie now, I don’t know what would happen! I guess she’d have to live the rest of her life in Jessie’s body,” I said. “I can’t stand this anymore. I’m going to become a Raichu. Let’s find Kerri.”
“No!” cried Ash's Pikachu, who had overheard the conversation.
I looked at my fellow Pikachu sadly. Over the last few days, we’d become good friends. It had been the first time in a long time that I’d had one of my own kind to talk to. If I went through with this, we wouldn’t be the same anymore, ever, for Ash’s Pikachu refused to evolve.
“My friend,” I said. “Many pokémon evolve. Stinger was once a Weedle...”
“It’s different for bug pokémon! They need to do that to survive and grow! We don’t!” cried Pikachu.
“Would you be so against evolving if Ash’s life were at stake?” I replied.
Pikachu’s ears sagged. “I think you’re making a mistake,” it said.
“Well, it’s my mistake to make,” I replied.
I went upstairs to see Kerri. She was typing some numbers into her calculator and cursing.
“Kerri,” I said. “You can stop looking for a Magneton. Get the thunderstone. I’ll evolve.”
Kerri gasped in surprise. “I--I don’t want to force you,” she said.
“The sooner we perform this ritual, the sooner we can get Jessie out of our lives,” I said. “And if I evolve, we can leave a lot sooner.”
“Are you--”
“I’m sure!” I said. She looked at me in astonishment.
“Why are you doing this?” said Kerri. “I thought you’d always want to remain a Pikachu.”
“When Amy. . .when Amy. . .died, I could do nothing to help her. When you fell into that coma, I could do nothing to help you. Both times, I felt so helpless. This time, I can do something. I’m giving your body back to you,” I said.
Kerri started crying. She tried to speak, but she couldn’t--at least not out loud. <<Jade, that is so sweet.>> I heard in my mind.
When Kerri regained her composure, she called Nigel, and we all got together. I rode on her shoulder.
“Jade has agreed to evolve into Raichu,” said Kerri.
Jessie looked incredibly happy. She hugged James and Meowth and was about to hug Ash when she stopped herself.
"I'm really losing my mind," said Jessie to no one in particular.
“So when’s it going to happen?” said Ash, trying to pretend that he hadn't seen Jessie try to hug him.
“Tonight,” said Kerri. “I already have a thunderstone.”
“Wow, that was fast,” said Ash.
“No, you don’t understand,” said Kerri. “A year ago, Wanderlust wanted to evolve from Growlithe to Arcanine. Wanderlust and Jade have always been close, so they thought they’d want to evolve together. I ordered both a firestone and a thunderstone. Wanderlust went through with it, but Jade got cold feet. I kept the thunderstone in case Jade ever changed its mind.”
“Talk about being prepared,” said Brock.
I said, “Meowth, tell Jessie I have a last request before I become a Raichu.”
Meowth relayed that.
“What is it?” said Jessie.
“I’d like to ride on your shoulders. I know you’re in control of Kerri’s body right now, but I’d like to ride on her real shoulders one last time because by the time Kerri’s back to normal, I’ll be a Raichu, and I’ll be too heavy,” I said.
Meowth translated that too.
Jessie's eyes widened, then she nodded.
“Are you crazy?” said Pikachu.
“What is she going to do to me? She knows I’m her only chance of getting back to normal! She won’t harm me!” I said.
I could swear that Jessie was fighting back tears as I rode on Kerri’s physical shoulder. After that, I rode on Kerri’s mental shoulders--no, that’s not right...I mean her current shoulders. My life flashed before my eyes--being born in the forest, being captured, riding around with Amy, being found by Kerri, Wanderlust, Firestorm, and Nigel, all the training battles we’d fought, Kerri’s lapsing into a coma and waking up with psychic powers, Kerri’s struggles with her psychic powers, the death of Kerri’s parents, the events of the last few days...
I got off Kerri’s shoulders and stood beside her.
I stood there nervously as Kerri (in Jessie’s body) held the thunder stone in her gloved right hand.
“Are you sure you want to do this, Jade?” she said.
I nodded. Pikachu looked at me sadly.
I went up to her. We stood there for a long moment, not moving.
Her hand was trembling slightly.
“Pikachu!” I said, which meant, “Do it!”
She nodded, biting her lip, and then as if in slow motion, the stone began descending toward my tiny yellow head
“Pikachu pika pi Pikachu--” I said. ("I hope this doesn’t hurt. I‘m--") Those would be the last words I uttered as a Pikachu.
Suddenly, I felt an enormous energy enter me, and I began glowing and expanding and expanding and expanding--
“Rai Rai Chu!” I said. (“Scared! Hey! That didn’t hurt!”)
“I told you it wouldn’t,” said Wanderlust.
I stretched. I felt so different. I was twice as tall as I had been, and my tail was about three times as long. I had to see what I looked like!
I looked, and of course I was no longer the same. I now had a white belly, tan fur, dark brown paws, darker brown stripes, yellow spots on my cheeks instead of the red ones I’d had, and my ears were now semi-crescent shaped.
But my eyes were still green.
Yes, I was now a Raichu.
"Finished looking?” inquired Kerri with an affectionate smile.
I nodded. She picked me up and gave me a hug! Oh, that felt good! It would feel even better when she got back into her real body!
Everyone cheered, and Jessie and James started crying in joy.
Early the next morning, we set off for the mountain. As soon as Merlin had brought us the information, Kerri and Nigel had packed their camper. Diana was left in charge of the farm. Nigel, Kerri, Ash, and his friends traveled in the camper, and Team Rocket set off in the balloon. Kerri, Nigel, and Brock took turns driving. Team Rocket was able to keep up with us because the balloon was towed by one or more of the following: Firestorm, Breezy, Stinger, Nigel’s Fearow, or Ash’s Pidgeotto, or sometimes the camper itself.
It was nice not having Team Rocket in the camper with us. We didn’t have to listen to Jessie’s endless complaining about Kerri’s body, or any of Meowth’s comments. Meowth acts so human that I think he’s forgotten that he’s a pokémon.
After a day and a half of driving, Merlin announced that we were in the right area. We took a lunch break. Breezy and Fearow scoped out the area, and we began searching for the thrones of Drachti. All we found on the first day were empty caves. On the second day, we had the misfortune of disturbing some sleeping Zubat. But Pikachu, Wanderlust, and I were able to deal with the problem, and Nigel caught a Zubat.
Around sunset on the third day, I heard James complain, “I’m tired of looking for caves! And I’m hungry!”
Jessie hit James and said, “Stop complaining and keep looking!”
Kerri sighed and looked up at the sky. The moon was already visible in the sky, and it was getting close to full. We had four days left.
“A short break wouldn’t be a bad idea,” said Nigel.
As Brock was getting dinner for us, I saw a light flare out of Misty’s backpack. There stood Psyduck, holding its head like it usually did.
“Psy?” it said.
As a pokémon, I can understand most other pokémon. There are a few exceptions. One is Hematite. Another is Psyduck. However, at least I get strings of ones and zeros with Hematite. Unfortunately, I don’t understand Psyduck any better than any human would. I also couldn’t understand how it managed to get out of its poké ball. That was one trick I would have liked to have known. I was now a Raichu, but I still hated poké balls. I don’t think that Kerri would ever put me in one, but just in case...
We all ate, and then Psyduck wandered off aimlessly. We heard a crash.
“What was that?” asked Ash.
We went off to see. Psyduck had found a rock fall, and one or two rocks were out of place. Suddenly, the moon came from behind a cloud, and we saw the glint of jewels.
“I think this could be it!” exclaimed Kerri.
“Everybody, get your pokémon to start digging!” exclaimed Brock.
Everyone called out every pokémon who could help (and some that couldn’t). For example, James made the mistake of calling out Victreebell, which once more swallowed his head. And of course, Weezing couldn’t do anything to help. But Brock’s Onix and Geodude were especially helpful, and even Arbok and Lickitung were of some use. Kerri herself helped by moving rocks telekinetically.
When we cleared it, we saw that we had found a cave with red gems lining its walls.
“We’re rich!” exclaimed Jessie and James simultaneously. They then went to reach for the gems. . .
“No! Do not touch the gems!” exclaimed Merlin.
Kerri relayed that.
“They don’t belong to anyone! Why not, you little stick?” snarled Jessie.
“Yeah, why not?” asked Meowth.
“I have reason to believe that this is the cave of Drachti! The gems are a vital part of the magic of this place. Remove them and you will probably damage the Thrones! Not only that, they could have deadly traps on them!” replied Merlin.
The pokémon all gasped, as did Kerri.
“Meowth, what did it say?” asked James.
Meowth translated. Jessie said, “I don’t believe that mumbo-jumbo!”
Meowth said, “Well, dat ‘mumbo-jumbo’ must work, or you an’ Kerri wouldn’t be in each others’ bodies! Ya can’t afford to take a chance! Leave ‘em alone!”
“Meowth is right, Jessie,” said James. “Let’s leave them alone.”
We walked into the cave, and orange gems started to be mixed with the red; yellow gems then joined them both, and we kept following the passage downward until we found the chamber, which had gemstones of the seven colors of the rainbow lining its walls.
We gasped in astonishment. In the center of the chamber were two huge white and blue chairs, and on the floor were two seven-pointed stars, one in front of each chair. Between them was a rainbow colored circle.
“The preparations must be made,” said Merlin. “Follow my directions carefully.”
The fourteen of us were situated as follows: Around the first star were Monev, Ash’s Bulbasaur, Brock’s Geodude, Misty’s Staryu, Ash’s Pidgeotto, Growlie, and Ash’s Pikachu. Around the second star were Jessie’s Arbok, Oakheart, Balboa, Misty’s Starmie, Breezy, Wanderlust, and myself.
Jessie and Kerri reluctantly strapped themselves into the cavernous chairs. Kerri, who was still in Jessie’s body, had grudgingly, at Jessie’s insistence, changed back into the Team Rocket uniform. Jessie, who was still in Kerri’s body, was wearing Kerri’s typical striped top, jeans, white sneakers, and black satin jacket.
We waited nervously.
“All right, remember the plan,” said Merlin as Meowth translated. “Nigel, Jessie, you go first.”
“Monev--” cried Nigel
“Arbok--” yelled Jessie.
“Poison sting into the circle!” they yelled.
Both snake pokémon spat poison needles simultaneously. The needles hung suspended in the center of the circle, which began to glow red.
Ash and Nigel called for their Bulbasaur and Oakheart to do razor leaf, Brock and Nigel called for Geodude and Balboa to do rock throw, Misty called for her Staryu and Starmie to do water gun, then Ash’s Pidgeotto and Kerri’s Breezy did whirlwind. The circle was now coruscating red, orange, yellow, green, and blue.
We looked nervously at James, who looked as if he were going to faint, but he squared his shoulders and spoke when it was his turn.
“Growlie--” said James.
“Wanderlust--” said Kerri.
“Ember!” cried James and Kerri simultaneously.
A new color was added. Now it was up to Pikachu and me.
“Pikachu--” cried Ash.
“Jade--” cried Kerri.
“Thunder shock!”
“Pika--”
“Rai--”
“C HUUUUUUUU!” we cried as our electrical attacks hit the circle. A rainbow colored light flowed out and roared around the cavern, blinding us.

Converting /tmp/phpFvTs9p to /dev/stdout