Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Seven Reasons to Live ❯ You Don't Want to Get on Her Bad Side ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I enjoyed writing this one a lot. I am pretty satisfied with how it turned out and it gives some much-needed action to the story. Plus I thought the end was pretty cute, Dagger deserves good break. I know its shorter, but on the bright side I updated quickly.
 
Dagger, Fang, and Rye made it out of Slateport in two days, just as Dagger had planned. They were now on their way to Littleroot town. It had been Joy's suggestion that Dagger try and get Rye to be more tolerant of humans in a small town, rather than one that was big and full of tourist like Slateport. Sure Rye wouldn't just lash out at a human for walking on past, but if they were going to be traveling in big cities it would be impossible for people not to bump into the big Rhydon, so it was necessary to get her to calm down a bit. They were taking less traveled side roads, in order to avoid as many humans as possible, but even the road less traveled had people who were too curious for their own good. Already Dagger had been forced too intervene by yelling at, and shoving, people who got too close to the Rhydon. When there were no disruptions Dagger still had the non-stop arguing between the “the rock” and the “flying rat,” to deal with. Oh joy.
 
“It is an absolutely barbaric, not to mention crazy, custom! Though I guess one couldn't expect less from a bunch of rocks.” argued Fang
 
“It is a warriors right! It is a show of great loyalty to allow the victims to choose their own fate. It is custom that this right is given and if it is not, then it is a great dishonor to the Rhydon in question and they may take the head of the dishonorable healer if they so choose. You stupid flying rats wouldn't understand dignity and loyalty, your too busy risking your lives for a pint of your favorite blood to care about anything else!” replied Rye
 
“Do not mock a Zubat's feeding habits! It is bravery that makes us face great danger to acquire what we want! I have a cousin who risks his life on a continuous basis to get the blood of Charzard. He is brave to face a beast that is as big as you, with the added danger that it shoots fire from its mouth! Zubat from all over come to watch his bravery and are in awe at the sight of him facing down such dangers! Yet when he gets hurt he never refuses the attention to his wounds, conscious or not.”
 
At this point Dagger had to stifle a laugh. Fang was lying through his, well his fangs! He had told her the same story, but it hadn't involved Zubat coming around from all over to watch a spectacle of bravery. In fact he had made his cousin sound like quite a fool and the specters had sounded like they were only there for a laugh when his cousin failed and was on the bad end of a flamethrower attack.
 
“Your bravery is a pathetic cover up for your families insanity and their dishonor. You call me barbaric, but to heal the wounded without their consent is both barbaric and very disrespectful to the Pokemon in question. It is taking away their choice and you are controlling their fate, it is beyond treachery to control the fate of another.” retorted Rye
 
“That is a cowards law! Only those who wish to have the opportunity to die instead of face hardship would make such a tradition! You rocks are cowards and your so called honor is a sham!” snarled Fang
“Enough! I think we have established that the pair of you have clashing views on what is right and what is wrong. Neither of you is going to convince the other that your way is best! So stop arguing right now! You're going to drive me insane!” Dagger ordered
 
Both Pokemon looked at her for about five seconds before replying together, “you can't tell us what to do, remember you said you're not our trainer.”
 
Figures they would agree on the one thing I don't want them too! My own words come back to bite me on the butt, she thought as they continued on with their argument, At least it seems to be somewhat good-natured. They aren't trying to attack each other.
 
So the group continued on down their trail, with Fang and Rye still arguing over who was less barbaric. This went on for about another half hour before Dagger couldn't take it anymore. So she began to sing nursery rhyme songs at the top of her lungs in order to drown out the arguing and hopefully annoy the pair enough that they would shut up. That plan failed, however, when they just raised their voices over hers in an attempt to thwart her bellowing, but it seemed that she had more volume in her as she also raised her tone.
 
One can imagine what it must have looked like to hear, or see, a girl screaming out the words of familiar children's songs as a Rhydon and a Zubat screamed at each other over her so called singing. Needless to say Dagger was very embarrassed when an extremely handsome boy appeared up ahead as she finished singing ten little monkeys jumping on a bed.
 
Rye and Fang quit their arguing when the silent Dagger alerted them to the presence of the stranger. As said before he was very handsome. Blonde shaggy hair, a traveler's deeply tanned skin, doe brown eyes, tall, and very well toned. Dagger had to admit that she was jealous. She was somewhat stocky, very short, and the only muscles she had were the result of summer days spent swimming at the beach. Usually she wasn't aware or didn't altogether care about her looks, but this boy had a way of making her feel very self-conscious. He was staring at the three of them unashamedly and wasn't moving a muscle. Dagger, who was now the color of a cherry, got unjustly angry with the boy, blaming him for her embarrassment.
 
“What are you staring at?” she yelled, “Just take a picture, it will last longer!”
 
“Well if you would kindly start up that racket you and your Pokemon were making earlier, I will gladly pull out my video camera and record the whole thing. Or perhaps you're out of nursery rhymes to scream out at the top of your lungs?” he answered tartly
 
So looks obviously didn't count for everything she thought. She blushed a little at his crack on her singing, but quickly got a hold of herself and forced her embarrassment down.
 
“You need to move aside while we pass. Rye,” she pointed at the Rhydon, “doesn't like people too much so, I suggest you stand back.”
 
“Actually I have no intention of moving for you right now. You see I think I owe you something in return for making my ears bleed. I challenge you to a battle and I am going to enjoy pounding your off key little ass into the ground.”
 
“First of all thanks for saying my butt is little. Second I can't battle you because I am not a trainer.” she replied
 
“Well I guess this will be easier than I thought then. I suggest you get one of those Pokemon to battle for you or it will be very hard to defend yourself from my attacks.” he sneered
 
Rye of course still couldn't battle seeing as she had only had three days to recover and her arm was still in a sling. Zubat could battle, but she didn't know how strong he was and she didn't know how to direct him in battle. Even if she had known what attacks a Zubat could use, she still didn't know which attacks Fang was capable of. It also didn't look like this guy would take it easy on her.
 
“I will battle him.” Fang told Dagger
 
“Are you sure? I can't really help you or anything, I don't know your attacks or any strategies for battle.” she whispered
 
“I can choose my moves well enough. All you have to do is warn me if an attack is coming that I can't see. I am really good at dodging.”
 
“Okay then let's do this.” she answered coming up with an idea
 
“Listen, Fang will battle you, but on one condition. We use only one Pokemon, one round and that's it. Rye can't battle and it would be unfair to make Fang go for two matches.” said Dagger
 
“Fine, that's all I need to beat you anyways.” answered the boy
 
He quickly selected one of two pokeballs kept at his belt and threw it to release the Pokemon it contained. Out of the flash of red light a Seviper materialized and hissed a challenge. Fang wasted no time in attacking and shot out of his mouth weird waves that seemed to bend the air around them on their journey towards the Seviper.
 
“Naja dodge its supersonic and use poison tail now!” he yelled
 
So it was a supersonic attack. I need to try and remember this thought Dagger. The Seviper obeyed his master and quickly avoided the oncoming attack, then sliced out with the blade on its tail. Before Dagger could scream warning, Fang had maneuvered out of reach. He stayed in the air for a brief second then charged the Seviper with astounding speed and slapped the Seviper hard with his wings. The Seviper was sent sprawling backwards from the power of the attack. Fang again wasted no time in attacking. He quickly flew over and bit the Seviper hard on the back of its neck. It screeched in pain and wriggled wildly, trying to shake the Zubat from its neck.
 
“Naja roll over on your back and squish it!”
Fang quickly let go and was out of dodge before his opponent's large, heavy body crushed him. The Seviper was outmatched. Fang had the advantage of being able to fly and Fang's speed was amazing, totally outclassing his opponent's. Fang once again flew up into the air and dropped towards his opponent like a bullet.
 
“Naja! Another wing attack! Dodge it now!”
 
The Seviper did manage to avoid the worst of the attack, but Fang still grazed the snake.
“Poison tail again, Naja.” yelled his master
 
This time Naja was too quick for Fang to dodge and Fang took the blow full on. He was knocked aside, but some how managed to stay in the air. He looked a little dazed, but not seriously hurt.
 
“Naja bite, now, while its hurt!”
 
“No! Fang it's attacking head on! Dodge to the side now!” screamed Dagger
 
Her words seemed to snap him out of his daze and he did a cool, little aerial cartwheel just in time to avoid the snapping jaws of his serpentine foe. Once again Fang took to the skies, out of reach of the Seviper, but this time he didn't try a wing attack. Instead he opened his mouth and a dark ball began to take form. It was blacker than night and looked almost like it was a rip in the air surrounding it. It took it only second to become the size of a soccer ball, and then Fang released it. The Seviper was too slow to get away and the ball of dark matter slammed into him dead on. Naja was thrown into a tree, and fell too the ground unconscious.
 
“Fang that was awesome! You are so fast I had no idea you could move like that!” Dagger said, as she excitedly congratulated Fang on his victory.
 
“Well I told you my favorite blood is Rapidash blood right? You have to be pretty fast to catch a Rapidash you know!” he answered just as happy for his win as she was
 
“You battle well for a flying rat.” was Rye's congratulations
 
“You can quit celebrating. My next Pokemon won't be outmatched because of speed. You will loose this round!”
 
“What round? We agreed that we would only go for one round! One Pokemon only!” said Dagger
 
“Well that was before I lost. I don't like to lose and I don't have to follow your rules! Prepare to battle.”
 
With that he threw another pokeball. This one reveled a Scyther and now Dagger was really worried. Fang was in trouble; even Dagger knew the famed speed of a Scyther. Fang would no longer have speed to his advantage, and because the Scyther could fly Fang no longer had that to use against his opponent either, not to mention that it was Fang's second battle and the Scyther was fresh and rested.
 
“Iniki quick attack.”
 
Fang was able to dodge the attack, but just barely. It was pointless however as the Scyther came around again with a second quick attack from behind and knocked Fang hard into the ground.
 
“Finish him off now Iniki. Use your wing attack.” yelled the boy
 
“Fang look out! You have to dodge him! I believe in you I know you can do it!”
 
When Dagger said that Fang was struck with an idea. It might not be powerful enough yet, but it was the only attack that might work. Fang managed to roll out of the way just in time to avoid the attack, and too his luck the Scyther lost control of his speed and crashed into the ground. Fang flew up high and began collecting energy for his next attack. Dagger thought it was going to be that dark attack again, but was surprised to find that the energy was not black this time, but pink and seemed to be being pulled from within Fang himself.
 
“Ininki get off the ground and use a wing attack! Stop the Zubat before it can hit you!”
 
Ininki followed its master's orders and flew off the ground at a break neck speed towards Fang. Fang was still gathering energy and the Scyther was gaining on him every second. Time slowed as the pink energy continued to pour from Fang and the Scyther gained ground and power for his oncoming attack, then they met. Ininki hit Fang just as he let off his attack, which was shaped curiously like a heart, and both went flying back. Fang landed at Rye's feet and the Scyther landed at his masters. Both were miraculously able to rise, but Fang looked to have come out worse for the wear and was barley able to hold himself up.
 
“Now is your chance Ininki! Quick attack now!”
 
The Scyther was charging fast and building up lots of power for its final strike against Fang. Within a second it was right in front of the little bat, and just as it was about to ram into him and knock him out for good, it was stopped in mid air by a gray fist smashing into its gut with a resounding crack. Rye's fist. At the last minuet she had thrown a punch with her good arm into the oncoming Scyther's unguarded middle. It seemed to hang in midair for a second or two, its mouth gaping open, before it fell to the floor, mercifully unconscious. The Scyther's trainer saw red.
 
“You dirty little cheater! Your other Pokemon is not allowed to interfere it is against the rules!” yelled the boy angrily
 
Now that made Dagger mad, really mad. How dare that little son of a Muk get angry with her! She was the only one with any right to be angry! He had cheated and had injured Fang just because he didn't like to loose! Loosing any restraint she may have harbored to this point, she ran at the fuming boy, and before he could react, slugged him hard in the face, knocking him out cold. She immediately felt better when she saw the surprised look on his face before he joined his Pokemon in the realm of the unconscious. She was also elated at the big purple bruise already forming around his eye.
 
“Well I must say that was unexpected.” said a surprised Rhydon
 
“Well it was worth getting the crap beat out of me to see that! Way to go Dagger!” panted Fang
 
“He just made me mad. He had no right to get mad at Rye for intervening after he sent out that Scyther when we had agreed to only one Pokemon each.”
 
“Remind me to never piss you off!” laughed Fang at her indignation
 
“I agree. I think your punch was harder than mine.” said Rye as she peered over the unconscious boy
 
Dagger blushed a bit, but was happy just the same. She couldn't keep the smile off her face and was proud, not only of herself, but of Rye and Fang too.
 
“Guys you were awesome!” she beamed
 
“Yeah good timing with the punch there rock.” said Fang, but not mockingly
 
“Well you fought well even if you are a flying rat.” responded Rye in kind
 
Dagger smiled again and pulled out a super potion to use on fangs wounds. She told him he should ride on her or Rye until he felt back to normal, needless to say he choose to hitch a ride on Dagger. Before leaving, Dagger used a little of her potion to fix the worst of the unconscious Scyther's wounds, it wasn't his fault after all that his trainer was an ass, and returned him to his pokeball to keep him safe.
 
The boy was another matter. She went over and arranged his body so it was in the most uncomfortable position possible, he was sure to get a crick in his neck at the very least, and left him that way. Then for good measure smeared dirt on his perfect face. Rye and Fang were giggling beside her as she did this and again started with the “remind me to never piss you off jokes.” They all left the area in high spirits talking about the battle they had just had.
 
“I think my favorite trick was when you cart wheeled out of the way in mid air! It was really cool, but what was that move you used to finish off the Seviper?” asked Dagger
 
“It was a shadow ball.” answered Fang
 
“Zubat don't learn that move.” said Rye
 
“Yes, but I used to travel with another human and he taught me the attack.”
“Oh, that's a really good idea. And Fang I wanted to apologize. I should have known that with all the trainers out here today some just wouldn't take no for an answer. As soon as you're well I want you to start teaching me your attacks so I can help in the next battle. We can even train if you want to. Rye the same goes for you. I want to learn your attacks in case you are ever forced to battle. I don't want to ever feel so useless again.” said Dagger
 
“I wouldn't mind. I wanted to go with you to train anyways.” said Rye
 
“Yes it would be a good plan for you to know our attacks in case we need your help in battle, but don't go thinking I want you to dictate my every move. Not only do I not need it, but I think it works to our advantage if the opponent does not know our every move.” said Fang
 
“Your right. I will make sure not to order you around too much, after today I am positive you can handle yourself.”
 
“So back to the battle, I am very curious as to what that last move you used on the Scyther was.” said Rye
 
“Yeah what was that?” asked Dagger in agreement
 
“Um...” Fang's cheeks turned suspiciously pink
 
“It was strange it looked like it was in the shape of a heart right before it hit the Scyther.” said Dagger thoughtfully
 
Rye got a mischievous smile on her face. “Oh it did, did it? Then I know what it is. Do you want me to tell her or do you want the honor?” teased Rye
 
“Oh shut up you great bullying rock!” said Fang “I'll tell her.” he turned his attention back to Dagger, “It was an attack called Return.” he said shyly
 
“Never heard of it.” she said confused as to why this was so amusing to Rye
 
“It is an attack that is affected by how much the user likes his or her trainer, or partner in our case, and is more powerful the more the user like his or her trainer.” said Fang
 
“In other words it is an attack of love! Meaning Fang must really love you because to knock that Scyther back so far when it was attacking with such force, he would need a very powerful Return attack!” she laughed
 
At that point it seemed that Fang was well enough to fly straight at the great Rhydon before him in a pretend attack. She played along and ran from him in mock fear as she giggled at his expense. For Dagger it was strange to see Rye playing with Fang in such a childish manner, but she supposed everyone had a lighter side just waiting for a chance to pop out.
 
Dagger was glad that their playing had spared her from having to say anything to Fang after she discovered what the Return attack actually entailed. She feared had she said anything to Fang it would have just created more embarrassment for the both of them. She was touched, however, to learn how much Fang liked her. She almost wanted to cry in happiness. Fang had pretty much admitted that he truly cared for her, though they had only been together for about four days, and her friends were happier than a pair of kittens with a new ball of yarn. Today was pretty much the best day of her life.
 
So leave me a review and tell me why you liked it or didn't like it. Also I have done my best with the grammar, but grammatical errors always tend to rear their ugly heads. Don't complain too much about them unless you are willing to beta read for me. Well next chapter you can look forward to seeing our, now, purple eyed (that means the bruise) friend again and finding out his name, Dagger and company will be training a little, Dagger will find out about a very interesting person who's name she happens to share, and Dagger may just change something about herself. Mysterious...
 
Thanks go out to DarthStriker, Krista, Forever, and Alchemistangel for the encouragement and for taking the time to review. It really means a lot to me!
 
P.S. I have given a few clues about certain unknowns. Some of those things can be found out with a little research on google or just careful reading. Can you figure it out?