Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Seven Reasons to Live ❯ Stupid Mistakes ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sorry for the long update interruption, but I was on vacation and then my cousin came into town the day I got back. Time to write has been minimal to say the least. I finally finished though and hope you enjoy the new installment!
 
“Use Wing Attack!”
 
“No,” said Fang as he dodged a Tackle attack from a Mightyena, “That will work, but won't be very effective. Try something else!” he yelled
 
“Oh...Supersonic!?”
 
This attack Fang obeyed. The strange sound waves that seemed to bend the air flew towards the Mightyena and effectively confused the canine. It began to thrash around, bite itself, and throw its body hard on the ground.
 
“Remember the effects are only temporary, decide on a new attack.”
 
“How about Leech Life?”
 
“No, too weak an attack, I don't need to recover anyways,” said Fang as he eyed the Mightyena.
 
“Oh I remember now! Use Bite!”
 
“Exactly.”
 
If it was possible, it seemed that Fang extended his fangs and dug them deep into the neck of the confused canine. The Mightyena yelped in pain from the attack and stupidly skittered away from Fang, causing deep gash marks where the fangs had been torn from its body. Dagger half expected the Mightyena to attempt to run away, but it stayed and turned around to look at the Zubat with maddened eyes. Then it did something she hadn't expected, it spoke.
 
“You are a disgrace to your kind and the Pokemon race! How could you, a free Pokemon, train a human to learn to catch us? Not only that, but you obey her orders though you have no reason too. She may speak our language, but she is still thieving human. Her kind always come and steal our pups and make them fight. Yet you obey her and you teach her to battle. You disgust me and I will kill the both of you!” he growled
 
“Obey her? Ha, my dear stupid dog if anything she obeys me. Sure I am teaching her to battle, but that is for my own benefit! As for your pups, I don't care one bit about them! If you are so worried of their capture maybe you should protect them better.” replied Fang
 
“Fang you really need some lessons in sympathy...” Muttered Dagger as she watched the Mightyena howl its fury and charge at Fang.
 
Fang surged her comment off and watched the movements of his opponent. Dagger suddenly got an idea that might just finish this battle off quickly.
“Fang dodge the attack and use Astonish!”
 
Fang avoided the Mightyena's Bite attack by dropping between its legs and sliding behind it. He then nipped it hard on the butt with is fangs and when his infuriated foe turned around to retaliate, Fang surprised it by slapping him hard in the face with his wings. Needless to say the Mightyena was effectively astonished and it flinched.
 
“Now use Bite while it is immobilized!”
 
Fang was quick to comply and once again stuck his enlarged fangs into the exposed neck of his opponent. The Mightyena made no noise this time and fell to the ground hard. It tried once to stagger to his feet, but was unsuccessful and so it stayed on the ground. Fang made no attempt at sportsmanship, though she hadn't expected any, and flew around in circles flaunting his victory with phrases like `I thought you were going to kill us!' and `Who's the disgrace now?'
Dagger ignored him and started to the Mightyena to see if it was okay. Its labored breathing had her worried.
 
Fang stopped his gloating as soon as he saw her destination and warned her to stay away. She ignored him and continued walking towards the injured animal. When she got close she failed to notice that he was still conscious and as her hand reached out to check his neck, his jaw snapped around her wrist. She screamed in pain and lost all sense. She struggled and pulled her arm, which only cause the dog to bite harder and caused her skin to rip more. Fang came to the rescue and bit the dog on the back surprising it into letting go long enough for Dagger to pull her arm away.
 
“I told you not to go.” Said Fang, but she didn't even hear him. She was silent now, but the pain in her wrist was unbearable. Tears of pain rolled down her cheeks and splashed into the wound as she dared a glance, she could see white bone shining through the streams of blood and much of the muscle was ripped through. She had nearly lost her hand!
 
“Fang,” she panted. “I need my...bag... hurry.”
 
Fang flew at his top speed back to the campsite. He found her bag easily, but it was too big for him to carry alone. He needed Rye who happened to be nowhere in sight.
 
“Stupid Rock!” He yelled as he went off in search of the Rhydon. He screamed out her name continuously, but received no answer for a good five minutes. He finally found her in the woods scrounging some berries off the trees.
 
“Finally you idiot! What are you doing! Dagger is hurt she needs her bag! Don't just stand there go get it!” shouted Fang
 
Rye took a moment to decipher his quickly delivered message before starting off towards the campsite at a speed Fang would have marveled at if it were not for the situation at hand. It took only a few minutes to retrieve the bag and get back to Dagger, but when the duo arrived both were overwhelmed by the stench of blood.
In the seven or eight minuet span of time that Fang had been gone Dagger had changed dramatically. Her face was so pale it seemed to glow in the dark undergrowth, and her entire arm was covered in blood. She had removed her shirt and used it as a stand in for bandages, but it had been soaked through and the blood was making little droplets on her legs beneath the wound. She seemed unaware of their arrival and made no movements to show she was even alive. Fang flew up to her and felt her neck with his wing.
 
“She is alive, but she has lost a lot of blood. We have to get her to a human doctor! We need to get her to that town we were headed to.” said Fang
 
“We won't make it in time. I can't run that long and you are too small to fly her. We will lose her.” Said Rye sadly.
 
“Dammit I promised I would take care of her and I can't even do that! I need to be bigger now!” he screamed
 
Something happened then. Fang felt his entire body surge with new power and strength. His body was encased in a glow of golden-white and he could feel his bones grow larger and be molded into a different shape. He could feel his body stretching and changing and he could feel the overwhelming new power that came with his transformation. He had evolved!
 
He didn't wait a second after his metamorphosis to nab Dagger and set off for Littleroot. He didn't have to wonder about his evolution. He was a Golbat now. How to fly and how fast he could travel was instinctive knowledge. He knew his power and his strength, he was still the old Fang in attitude, but he was a whole new Fang in attributes. Yet to him it was almost like he had been a Golbat all along. He knew this body now just as he had known his body then. He didn't need to worry about Rye she could get here on her own. All he had to worry about was Dagger.
 
Once above the trees it was no more than ten minutes fast flying to arrive in town. Since he didn't know where the human center for healing was he took her to the next best place, the ever-identifiable Pokemon Center. He was met with unexpected results. The people in the center fled when they saw the great Golbat and its wounded prey and the Golbat let out an awful scream. The scream cause a very annoyed joy to come rushing out with a handful of Chansey in tow.
 
Joy took in the situation. She looked at the girl then at the Golbat, made her own conclusions about the pair, and pulled out a gun. She fired it at the large bat and it fell to the ground with a loud thump.
 
~~~~~~~~~~
 
Dagger awoke with a throbbing pain in her right hand. She didn't remember where she was or why her hand hurt. She realized that she was in a bed and couldn't figure out why that didn't seem right to her. After all it should be natural to awake in a bed right? She glanced to her left and saw another bed. It had a patient too, but it held a Pokemon. A Bellossom to be exact. She then looked at her hand that continued its incessant painful throbbing. It was wrapped up in clean white bandages and she had needles sticking into her arm connected to a silver pole holding an IV bag. Then it all came back to her in a flash of memories.
 
She remembered the battle and the Mightyena. She remembered being bitten and sending Fang off to collect her bag and the antagonizing wait for his return. She remembered attempting to stop the blood flow from her wound using her shirt as a makeshift bandage. She then remembered giving up, the bandage had not been working and Fang was taking too long to return. She had closed her eyes and fallen asleep. Now she had no idea where she was, but she was spared any wait for answers when Nurse Joy bustled in and saw her.
 
“Awake are we. I will say you gave me a scare! Walking into my lobby to find that some monstrous creature had attacked you and decided to dine on my floor. Well I got that Golbat good I did! He won't be bothering you again I would wager. Lucky thing I had my gun on me or it could have been messy I dare say. You woke sooner than I expected. With a wound like that I would have thought you would sleep for days, but no you awake a mere five hours later! That was a nasty bite you got, lucky for you that stupid bat brought you where he did, five minutes longer and you would have been a goner!”
 
“Nurse Joy. What are you talking about? I don't understand I was attacked by a Mighyena, not a Golbat.” She said dazed.
 
“Oh well that would explain why the tooth I found in your wound wasn't missing from that Golbat! I suppose the accursed thing just grabbed you up after your little run in with the Mightyena and brought you here. Never happened before, but I guess there is a first time for everything!”
 
Throughout the talk Joy had managed to change Dagger's bandages and check her pulse, her heartbeat, and her temperature. She then left Dagger with the promise to send her some food and a cheery goodbye. Dagger had to admit that this particular Joy was just too happy for her liking.
 
As if some higher power wished to prove her assessment of Joy wrong, she heard the Nurse let out an ear-piercing shriek from the next room. Then she heard a roar and her name fallowing that, being called out in a familiar voice. She quickly stood and cradled her arm against her chest, using the other to push the IV along as she hurried towards the sound of her name. She marveled at how weak she was and how much effort it took to simply walk. She found Rye holding up Joy in one hand and threatening the other humans present with the other. Still calling out her name.
 
“Rye I am right here!” She yelled over the bellowing Rhydon and screaming humans.
 
Everyone stopped yelling and looked towards Dagger. Rye dropped Joy unceremoniously on her butt and quickly made her way towards the injured girl. She stopped, unsure of how to act and decided that a nice inquiry would be fine.
 
“Are you alright?” she asked
 
“I am fine. You should come to my room and get out of here. I think you scared the other humans.”
 
“Serves them right! Do you know how much trouble I went through to get here?” asked Rye
 
At that moment the doors to the center burst open and officer Jenny with a group of other cops barged in pointing their guns at Rye. Some of them looked a little worse for the wear with bloody gashes and large purple bruises.
 
“There she is men we have it this time!” said Jenny
 
“Oh Rye tell me you didn't attack them.” whispered Dagger
 
“Of course I did! They kept trying to capture me! I was barley in this stupid city for five minutes before they started after me!” Complained Rye.
 
“Um...Hold on a second!” Shouted Dagger to the crowd of cops. “This Rhydon is with me. She is here because she was looking for me. I got hurt and abducted and she got left behind. She wont attack you if you leave her alone.” “I hope.” She murmured.
 
The people in the room seemed to relax and the police offices put away their weapons. Joy finally got her nerve back and ordered Dagger back to her room. Joy almost protested when the Rhydon followed, but thought better of it when Rye gave her a dirty look. The police left except for Jenny who needed to speak with Joy. Once back in the room Dagger started questioning Rye.
 
“What happened while I was unconscious?”
 
“Fang told me that you needed your bag and you were hurt. He must have spent a lot of time searching for me because I had wandered off looking for food. We raced back to camp and got your bag then he led me to you. You were a bloody mess and I thought you were dead, but Fang said you weren't. He said we had to get you to a human healer, but we had no way of getting you there in time. He got really mad and yelled out something about wanting to be bigger. Then he stared to glow and evolved right in front of me. He took off with you after that and left me behind. I packed up your bag the best I could and started out an hour later. It took another hour to walk to town then I waited for Fang to come find me. I fell asleep for a bit and when I woke it was night already. Then I came into town and looked for you myself as the selfish rat never came for me.”
 
“Wait... Fang evolved! Into a Golbat!”
 
“Yes. Why?”
 
Her heart sank. Hadn't Joy said something about shooting that Golbat that had brought her here? She once again got out of bed and found the task to be even more difficult this time around. She asked Rye for help and she made her way back to the lobby. Nurse Joy was still there. She was returning a healed Pokemon to its trainer as she entered.
“Joy! Where is that Golbat that brought me in earlier?” She asked upon arriving at the desk.
 
“The one that attacked you dear? I told you I shot it. Don't worry we locked it up, it wont bother you again.”
 
She breathed a sigh of relief. “So he's not dead then?”
 
“Of course not! I carry tranquilizers, not bullets.” She answered.
 
“He is my friend Nurse Joy. He didn't attack me he saved me. He brought me here so I could be healed.” Said Dagger.
 
“Oh really? Well I must say that makes much more sense! I will see to it that he is released and have him brought here. Do you have his pokeball with you?”
 
“Well no. You see he isn't really my Pokemon. He just follows me. We are just friends.”
 
“Oh well that changes everything.” Said Joy.
 
“What? Why does that make a difference?”
 
“Well because I don't believe that he is really your friend. Unless you can show me some proof or your Pokedex. I will also need to see this Rhydon's pokeball as well.” She answered.
 
“I don't have a Pokedex. I don't have any proof. I have Rye's pokeball, but I don't even see why it matters.”
 
“Well obviously because I won't believe that a wild Pokemon would just choose to follow you. Plus why would you have a pokeball for one Pokemon and not the other? If you don't have a Pokedex it means you are training without a license and that is prohibited. If you have no way of proving that this Golbat belongs with you then I have to assume you have stolen him.”
 
“That's ridiculous! Call you relative in Slateport! She is the one who caught Rye! Not me! I have her because she could not stay in Slateport and because Rye wanted to go with me! I don't have a Pokedex because I had never even planned on being a trainer!” Answered Dagger angrily.
 
“My cousin in Slateport knows you then? Well I will call her and try to sort this out. In the meantime I want you to get back in bed and if I catch you out of it again I wont talk with my cousin until I deem you well again.”
 
Dagger assumed that was the best she could do so she slipped out of the lobby and headed back to her room. She lay down with Rye's help and fell asleep minutes later. Rye watched her for a bit before getting bored and going over to the Bellossom's bed side. It was awake and looked just as bored as she.
 
“Hi.” Said Rye.
“Hello.” It answered.
 
“I am Rye. What about you?”
 
“I'm Peal.” She answered.
 
“So what happened to you?” Asked Rye.
 
“Got hurt in a battle. I was the only Pokemon my master had left and unluckily the opposing trainer had a Swellow. I didn't last long. What about that human there? Why is she here?”
 
“She got bit by a Mightyena. Not sure how exactly, but she almost died. A Golbat named Fang brought her here. I suppose he didn't know where the human healers are.”
 
“Oh, well is she your master?” Peal asked.
 
“No!” Was Rye's angry response. “I have no master I am her friend. I chose to follow her.”
 
“Really? I don't know if I believe you.” Was her pert response. “I hate Pokemon who think they are too macho to admit that they really are owned. Honestly you really should get over it you have a pokeball so that means she caught you. She has you, she can command you, and she will master you. Admit it and quit acting like you are still free.”
 
“I am not a pet like you. She has never tried to command me. She has never made me do anything against my will. If she does I will and can leave her.” Said Rye.
 
“Are you sure? Does she really let you do what you want or is she persuading you? Some humans are smart like that. They can make you think you are their equal, but truly they are deceiving you. Making an order look like a request or making it look as if it your idea to do it in the first place. I have seen it before. Humans think we are beneath them and you will find out one day how truly human that girl over there is.” Said Peal.
 
“Is it truly the humans who play the mind games or is it you who plays them? I think it might just be you. I will speak with you no more.” Sad Rye.
 
The little Bellossom glared and turned away from Rye. Though Rye had denied all those accusations about Dagger, the seeds of doubt had been planted. Did Dagger truly respect her as a friend or was she deceiving her in order to master her. Hadn't she said something earlier about taking me along, not only because I wanted her too, for another reason? What had she said? Had Dagger convinced her that it was her own decision to travel with her even though it had been Daggers? That made little sense, but it still made Rye think. And think she did until the next morning in fact.
 
Dagger did not wake up. The nurse said something about this being normal after all the excitement the day before. Rye supposed that since she had been so active just a few hours after losing so much blood, she must be really tired. Turns out she was right Dagger woke only in short bursts for the next four days. Each time she inquired after Fang, but the nurse said she was still working on it. Rye was left with only her thoughts on what the little Bellossom had said; she got a surprise on the fourth day.
 
It was no different than any other. Dagger woke in the morning, asked about Fang, managed to eat, and fell asleep an hour later. Rye was nearly bored out of her mind since the only thing she had to do was talk and think, and since that snotty little Bellossom had left two days ago no new Pokemon had come in. She had been left alone to wallow in her boredom except on the ever-increasing moments when Dagger woke up. Today though the door opened and Joy walked in followed by him. Fang had come at last and had just missed Dagger, but Rye knew Dagger would be glad to see him when she woke again. Rye was glad to see him too. Finally someone to talk with.
 
“Finally! What took you so long?” Said Rye to Fang.
 
“This bimbo,” he said indicating Joy, “ and all those police “took me so long” thank you very much! My god I don't think they could have taken any longer. For four days I was sitting in a makeshift cave with bars on it as they ask each other if I was stolen or not!”
 
Joy deciding the two Pokemon knew each other and were on good terms left the room.
 
“Well I have been sitting in this room for four days! I have been bored to hell and back again! Dagger only wakes up every few hours and then doesn't talk much before falling to sleep again!” Said Rye.
 
“Yeah the stupid girl. Went and got herself hurt because she wouldn't listen to me.” Said Fang.
 
“Yeah I have been wondering about that. What happened?” Asked Rye.
 
“Well after we beat the Mightyena the little idiot got it in her head that she should make sure he wasn't dying. I told her to stay away, but she ignored me and the thing bit her wrist. She sent me after her bag and well you know the rest.”
 
“Your right that was stupid, but you should have made sure she didn't get that close. Explained it to her.” Said Rye.
 
“Hey if she wont listen the first time she is going to have to deal with the consequences. I am not her mother.”
 
“Yeah but we are supposed to protect her. Plus with your disregard and unsympathetic attitude towards others it's no wonder she didn't listen to you. And we could have lost her because you were trying to teach her a lesson. If you hadn't evolved I don't think she would have lived.” Said Rye.
 
“True I did save the day didn't I? I bet she can't wait to see me as a Golbat.” Gloated Fang.
 
“That's not what I meant by your evolving and you know it! I expect you to be more careful next time, but I think you may be right about wanting to see you, she has been asking after you a lot lately.”
 
They talked about other things and argued about the rest as the morning passed away. Around lunchtime Dagger awoke again. She looked around and spotted Rye in her accustomed spot. She smiled and sat up and to her surprise saw a Golbat that stood at least five foot six inches at the foot of her bed.
 
“Fang?”
 
“The one and only! I told you to listen to me didn't I? And now look what happened because you didn't. You end up in a hospital and I end up in a cage!” Said Fang.
 
Rye sighed in exasperation at his greeting. Dagger who at first had been elated to see her friend, felt that emotion changing with every word. Obviously his attitude hadn't changed just because his body had. She scowled at him.
 
“Your not hurt are you?” She asked sweetly.
 
“No. Why?”
 
BAM! She threw her lunch tray smack into his face. He fell over backward and landed in the food that had fallen off the tray with a sickening slap. Rye laughed at him as he struggled to stand up. He was like a turtle stuck on its back! Finally he was able to flip himself over and use his food-covered wings to help him stand. He glared at Dagger who was laughing so had tears were streaming from her green eyes.
 
“That's what you get! I have been worried sick that you would be locked up forever and I would never get you back! Then you have to come in here and act like a jerk. Typical insensitive Fang.” Said Dagger.
 
“Fine then let's call it even. I got you hurt and you covered me in mushy human food.”
 
“I suppose I can accept your terms.” She answered with a giggle.
 
They talked for a long time before Dagger got tired again and fell asleep. Leaving the two Pokemon in their own company once again. Dagger got better each day and on the seventh she was announced healed. She was still required to keep a glove on her wrist to restrict movement, but it was healed for the most part. Joy said that she may always feel a little pain in it if moved a certain way, but she had done the best she could.
 
“Now I need to tell you something. I want to make sure that Fang doesn't have to get locked up again, or Rye for that matter, so I am sending you to Professor Birch. From him you will receive you own Pokedex and prevent this from happening again. You have an appointment in one hour so I suggest you get going.” Said Joy.
 
They took her advice and left the Pokemon Center as soon as Dagger had packed all her things. They walked towards the large building that Joy had said was the Professors lab and arrived within fifteen minutes which left them with half an hour before they were supposed to see Professor Birch. They sat in the big lobby area and waited on the Professor. It wasn't five minutes before the Professor came down the winding staircase talking to someone. A very handsome, tall, blonde and tanned someone. She stared at him for a little bit until he noticed her.
 
“You! Your that little wench that cheated me out of a win the other day and then left me for dead on the side of the road!” He screamed.
 
“You are so self absorbed! I didn't leave you for dead and I wasn't the one who cheated! You broke the rules and all I did was knock you out. You deserved it too! You had no right to get mad at me or Rye after you were the one who sent out your Scyther when we had agreed to a one on one match!” Dagger yelled.
 
“Naja was bedridden for two days and Iniki for six! I had to go all the way back to Slateport because of you so they could heal! I will get you for this!” He yelled back.
 
“Enough! Dice I believe our interview is over and I believe this young lady and I have some business to attend to. You know where the exit is so be on your way and report back when you can.” Said Birch.
 
“Fine, but this isn't over.” He said as he made his way to the exit.
 
“I am sorry about him dear. He is a little competitive, but his heart is in the right place. Especially considering what he was bred from, but your not interested in that I am sure. I believe Joy said you were in need of a Pokedex?” Professor Birch asked.
 
“Yes. She said I needed it so that people wouldn't think I was a thief.” Answered Dagger.
 
“Of course. Now what is your name dear I am afraid my forgetful friend Joy never told it to me.” He asked kindly.
 
“It's Dagger... Dagger Moonglow.” She answered
 
“Very curious. Both names, but especially Moonglow. I knew a man once who was searching for a flower called Moonglow. He was a very respected herbologist. He told me that this flower had special properties of some sort. I have forgotten now what they were. I haven't seen him in over nineteen years, not since he left for Fortree to find his little flower... Oh, but there I go again talking about things that are of no interest to you. So lets get you a Pokedex.”
 
He ushered her out of the room and into a side room with many computers. He opened a cabinet and pulled from it a curious red, rectangular object with a white and blue pokeball insignia on the end. Obviously the Pokedex. He attached it to one of the many computes with a connecting cord, typed some information into the computer, and pulled it free.
 
“Now your all registered and the Pokedex will keep tabs on the Pokemon that travel with you. It will also give you information on all of the known Pokemon of this region. I took the liberty of upgrading it so that it will give you information on all the Pokemon in Johto and Kanto as well. So that should be it. Do you have any questions?” He asked.
 
“No.”
 
“Okay then! It was nice to meet you Miss Moonglow. I hope to see you again in the future.” He shook her hand and started to walk away.
 
“Wait I do have one question. What was the man's name? The one searching for the Moonglow?”
 
“Dameon Willow.” He said with a curious look before he started off again.
 
She left the way she had come thinking about this man the Professor had mentioned. Moonglow was a flower and this man had been looking for it. Could he have been related to her somehow? Maybe her father? So Moonglow might not be her name at all.
 
“Fang. Rye. Did you guys hear that?”
 
“Yes we were right there.” Said Fang.
 
“Oh shut up you great flying rat! Yes we heard.”
 
“I want to go to Fortree. I want to see if anyone there remembers this Dameon Willow and can tell me about the Moonglow flower. I think we might be related. Its not a sure thing, but it is possible.”
 
“Sure we will go. It is a long way though.” Said Fang.
 
“Rye, Fortree is a rather big city. I have noticed you doing well around humans since I got hurt, but can you stand crowds. Will you be able to travel through the big cities on the way?” Asked Dagger
 
“Yes. I suppose it is pointless to attack all humans. I will take revenge only on those who deserve it.” Said Rye though Dagger noticed Rye looked a little troubled at her request.
 
“Thank you Rye it means a lot to me.” Said Dagger and it seemed to make Rye feel better to hear her thanks.
 
“Very touching. So you finally got the giant to obey you I see. It looks as if she is healed now. No bandages and the little one you called Fang evolved did he? How very surprising.”
 
“What do you want?” Whined Dagger as she looked into the brown eyes of her handsome stalker.
 
“Revenge, but I have somewhere to be so I just want to ask your name. You heard mine.”
 
“Dice right? Well then if it will get rid of you my name is Dagger.” She retorted.
 
In a flash he had her pressed against his body. Out of nowhere he had drawn a knife and it was now positioned at her throat. Fang and Rye started at him, but he pressed the knife harder to her neck and nicked the skin letting little droplets of blood ripple down her neck.
 
“What game are you playing? Tell me your real name now. Do you work for her? Did she send you to spy on me or kill me? You had better answer or I will slit your throat.” Said Dice deadly calm.
 
 
Zippi: Thanks for the review. Sorry you didn't enjoy it.
 
Pokefan97: Thanks for your reviews. They are really encouraging and I am glad you enjoy my writing.
 
What will happen next time? What pissed off Dice so bad I wonder?hmm... You tell me.