Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ The Me You See ❯ Memories ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Note: I know, I'm a twisted little freak. I can't help it if these people are so easy to manipulate. This combines elements of Pokémon Yellow and the anime, so be warned.

Summary: Ash finally proposes to Misty, but instead of a wife, he gets a very unexpected surprise…

The Me You See

An Ash & Misty Romance…with a serious twist.

Nate Grey

XMAN0123@aol.com

Chapter 1: Memories

"What do you think, Brock?" Ash asked, staring at the display case.

Brock's eyes (rather, the narrow slits that were presumably his eyes) settled on the third ring in the first row. "That one."

Ash blinked and looked at his friend. "Really? What makes that one so special?"

"I'm a Rock Pokémon trainer and the Gym Leader of Pewter City, Ash. It's pretty much impossible for me not to notice a precious stone when I see one."

"I guess you're right. But…do you think she'll like it?"

"Well, I'll put it like this. If the size of that thing doesn't break her finger instantly, I imagine she'll be very, very happy."

"Great!" Ash turned to the salesman, whose nametag identified him as Hi-My-Name-Is-Fred. "I'll take it, Fred!" he said, pointing at the ring.

"Oh, VERY good choice, sir!" Fred agreed, smiling his approval. "How will you be paying for this ring?"

Ash grinned and whipped out a fistful of money. "Do you take…cash?"

Fred's eyes popped out of his head and grew three times their normal size, then returned to his startled face. "VERY, VERY good, sir!" He practically leaped over to the display case, fumbled desperately with the keys, and threw the sliding window open. Fred snatched up the ring and presented it to Ash.

"Uh…I was hoping for one of those little boxes to put it in," Ash said after a few seconds.

"Of course, sir!" Fred searched frantically, and finally came up with a small black box. "Will this do, sir?"

"Yes. I'd like it in a bag, please."

While Fred went to work hunting for a bag, Brock leaned over to his friend. "Ash, where'd you get all that money?"

"I've been battling tough trainers almost nonstop for months," Ash replied, grinning. "What, did you think I'd secretly joined Team Rocket or something?"

"I'm starting to think you would do anything to get Misty to marry you," Brock pointed out.

"Well, I would, but that's not the point."

"You're right." Brock paused and stared at his friend. "You really love her, don't you?"

Ash got a far-off look in his eyes. Each time someone asked him that question, he couldn't help picturing the first two times they'd met…which, incidentally, hadn't been THAT pleasant…

* * * * *

"Wow. You're pretty good…for a boy, anyway." Misty recalled her Starmie and grinned. "Nice job, kid. Haven't had a battle that tough since Gary Oak was here."

"Gary?!" Ash cried, the anger clear on his face.

"Yeah. You know him?"

"Do I know--?!" Ash paused to collect himself. "Never mind."

"Here's your Cascade Badge as proof you've beaten me…this time." Misty held up the blue badge.

Ash stretched out his hand for it.

Misty took a step back, dangling it just out of his reach. A tiny smile tugged at her lips.

Ash frowned and stepped closer. His fingers were just starting to close around the badge.

Misty flashed him a playful smile and began to move.

The next thing Ash knew, he was splashing around in the water just below the floating platform.

Misty squatted on the platform, resting her head in her hands. She was giggling at him.

Ash somehow managed to pull himself up with a little dignity. However, even that left him as he slipped in a puddle and landed on his back.

There was a sputter and then the sound of laughing. Misty was on her knees, beating the platform with a fist as she chuckled. Amazingly enough, Pikachu was right beside her, doing his best not to laugh and failing miserably.

Ash glared at them. "It wasn't THAT funny," he muttered.

Misty looked up at him, tears in her eyes. She quickly wiped them away with the back of her hand and snickered. "Anyway, you probably need to dry those clothes before you go anywhere." She forced herself not to laugh again with some trouble.

Ash frowned and looked at his clothes. They were soaking wet, of course. "I was going to have my Charmander-"

"After the beating I gave the poor thing?" Misty sighed and shook her head. "You could at least HEAL your Pokémon first. You must be one lousy trainer."

Ash narrowed his eyes. "I am NOT! Anyway, I WAS going to just get my badge and go to the Pokémon Center, until you dumped me in your stupid pool!"

"I did it for a reason. Look there." Misty pointed at his feet.

Ash warily looked down, careful to throw a glance at Misty to make sure she didn't throw him into the pool again. He found a Squirtle clinging to one of his legs.

"I got him from Officer Jenny in Vermillion City," Misty said. "He was getting into all sorts of trouble over there. I promised I'd keep an eye on him until I found a trainer that could train him properly. He seems to like you. So how about it?"

Ash blinked. It was rare that anyone just got a free Pokémon. But then, he'd just been given both Charmander and Bulbasaur a few days ago, so it wasn't impossible. "Um…okay," he said at last.

Misty smiled. "Good. You better treat him right, or I'll find you and take him back. And whatever you did to him, I'll do to YOU."

If any other girl had said it, Ash wouldn't have believed it. He swallowed noisily and nodded.

"Thought so." Misty tossed him the Cascade Badge. "Come back and see me if you can get him to evolve. Otherwise, don't bother. I hate wasting my time."

Before Ash could protest, there was a slight splashing sound. He looked down just in time to see Misty's feet vanishing into the pool. When she didn't surface after several minutes, Ash finally turned and walked away. Pikachu and Squirtle fell in step behind him.

Neither of them noticed Misty resurfacing behind them, a mysterious smile on her face.

* * * * *

It was almost a year later, on Misty's birthday, that Ash returned to the Cerulean City Gym.

She was floating in a small pool with several of her Pokémon when she heard footsteps. Figuring it was either one of her sisters or a trainer coming to challenge her, Misty didn't even open her eyes.

Ash stopped on the edge of the pool. "I'm here for a battle."

"Who isn't?" Misty sighed, adjusting her sunglasses. "I suppose you just came from Mount Moon? Or maybe straight from Pewter City?"

"No. Celadon City, actually." For some reason, Ash was finding it hard to ignore Misty's bathing suit…what there was of it, anyway. Fortunately, she still hadn't opened her eyes yet.

"Oh. And you want a Cascade Badge now?" she asked.

"No. I already have one. I came to return this."

Misty's eyes snapped open as she recognized the sound of a pokeball opening. However, by the time the huge shape formed over her, it was too late to move.

The Blastoise came down right beside her, the waves tossing her like a rag doll. Misty flew wildly through the air until something snagged her ankles. Still, her head hit the water just before she was tugged back up into the air. What she saw truly did surprise her.

Ash stood there with his arms crossed over his chest, looking confident, cool, and much cuter than he had the last time they'd met. Pikachu sat on his shoulder, also looking slightly more experienced (he was a tiny bit larger, and his red electric sacks had almost doubled in size). Beside them was an Ivysaur, who was currently holding Misty up with his vines.

"I brought him back," Ash said, nodding at the Blastoise floating below her.

"I see." Misty wiped some water from her face and glared at Ivysaur. "You know, you could have him put me down."

"Yeah, I could," Ash agreed, grinning.

"Or you could be a total jerk about it." Misty whistled sharply.

A Staryu flew out of the water and straight at Ivysaur, who was forced to drop Misty and leap away.

Misty flipped in midair and landed on the edge of the pool. "So did you really come here for a battle, or just to brag?" Staryu landed at her feet, poised for action.

"I came to see you," Ash replied. "Unless you have a problem with that?"

Misty smirked. "Maybe I do."

"Too bad. I got you a present." Ash reached into his jacket and pulled out something small. "But I can't hand it to you if you're over there, y'know."

Misty took a few steps forward. "Throw it."

Ash flipped the tiny object over to her.

Misty caught it and blinked. It seemed to be nothing more than a very shiny rock. "What is this?"

"Oh. Almost forgot the rest of it." Ash threw two pokeballs into the air.

Misty took a step back as a Clefairy and a Jigglypuff appeared. "I thought you said you didn't come from Mount Moon."

"I didn't," Ash replied. "I've had them since I first went through to get here. I've been training them."

"So why are they here?" Misty asked.

Ash rolled his eyes. "They're for you. I said I got you a present."

Misty stared at him. "Why?"

"It IS your birthday, isn't it?"

"Yeah, but I didn't expect to hear from you again."

"Guess I just keep surprising you," Ash said, grinning. "Only I didn't get a badge out of it this time."

"You're lucky you didn't get a black eye out of it," Misty shot back. She was thinking of how much a dunking in the pool would improve his look when the Clefairy rubbed against her leg, smiling up at her. The Jigglypuff, on the other hand, looked annoyed and marched off to observe the rest of the gym.

"Well, enjoy. I've got to get going." Ash turned and started to leave.

"So you're really not going to ask for a battle?" Misty asked.

"Nope. I'm going to train for the Pokémon League." Ash adjusted the cap on his head and nodded. "Seeya, Misty."

"Hey, wait a minute!" she shouted.

Ash glanced back at her. "What?"

"Take that Blastoise with you. I didn't want it back, I just didn't think you'd be able to raise it."

"You hang onto it for a while." Ash turned and kept walking. "If I make it into the Pokémon League, I'll come back for it. If not, it's yours. Either way, it'll have a great trainer."

Misty watched him go, then sighed. "Great. What am I supposed to do with all these new Pokémon?"

"Fairy!" Clefairy said, hopping up on her shoulder.

Misty smiled and rubbed its head. "I bet you're all hungry, too. Dumb kid." Still, she couldn't help thinking of the day she'd run into Ash Ketchum again…