Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ The Nova Project ❯ The Beginning of the end ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
"Nova.. you're going to die.. Nova. Nova! You're going to die! You pathetic freak! You're good for nothing! Your life is nothing! You deserve to die!" The words echoed and echoed throughout Nova's mind. Nova was on his knees in the laboratory in which he was created in. Scientists had surrounded him, taunting him, making fun of him, pointing and laughing.

Nova held tightly to his head, his anger growing.. more.. and more. "Shut up!" Suddenly Nova screamed out, and everything went black. But he could see someone. It was Mr. Mashemi staring down at him with that grin Nova had always hated. Mr. Mashemi's face slowly deformed, though.. and soon.. it was the same face Jyro adorned. And then..

"Nova..! Nova..! Nova! Wake up, Nova.. Please.." It was a familiar voice. It was the voice of Samantha. It was faint at first, but slowly it became louder and louder. Nova's eyes slowly opened to see Samantha leaning over him, along with a doctor and a few nurses. They were back on the Starship, and Nova was laying on a small bed in the MedBay, half his body covered by white sheet.

Nova had been dreaming.

"U-..Uhn," was all Nova managed to get out as he slowly moved a paw to touch his wrapped head. "Wha..?"

"Nova!" Samanatha hugged him carefully, not wanting to hurt him. "You and Mr. Mashemi were dualing and he managed to scrape your head with a bullet. Right after, luckily, more TRAG members got in and rescued us. Mr. Mashemi and Neoko escaped, though," she said, sighing softly as she watched him with concern.

All Nova could do was stare at her for a few minutes, unable to remember anything. But soon it all came to him, and he sighed, rubbing his forehead. "Oh.. now I r-..remember.. Yeah.."

"I'm so glad your alive, Nova.." She sighed and hugged him again, her cheek resting on his chest. The doctor and nurses had left them alone for the time being.

Nova tilted his head a bit, watching her. He figured she was just relieved that he was alive. ".. T-..Thanks," he said.

After a moment, Sam gave a bit of a sigh before sitting up, rubbing the back of her head. ".. Well.. anyway. Leon said that he'd come down and see you. He also said he was proud of you for your effort. I.. need to get going," She said, smiling faintly down at him, placing a hand on his cheek briefly before standing up, and walking out of the MedBay.

Nova sighed as he slowly sat up, and looked around the place. Then held his head for a moment, thinking about what happened just the day before.

"Nova," Leon stepped into the MedBay, a worried look etched on his facial features as he stepped to him and kneeled in front of him. "You alright? I heard what happened. I never knew Takashi was a spy... I'm really sorry."

"It's alright, Leon. It wasn't your fault," Nova said, shaking his head. ".. What about Takashi?" Nova asked soon afterwards.

Leon sighed, and would shake his head, offering a gesture with his paws. "I don't know. I suppose he escaped with Neoko and Mashemi, but we have no proof of it," Leon said.

"Darn," Nova balled a fist just slightly and connected it with his knee in a slight bit of anger. "Why did he betray us..?" Nova thought to himself, staring down at his feet.

"Nova. I think you should take a break. Listen; I'll get you a ride back down to Earth, and you can relax. You can leave Destiny here with us, if you want," Leon said as he would take a comfy seat next to Nova.

Nova would emit another sigh from those furry lips, his eyes locked onto his bare feet. He kept the covers over his lap and partially his stomach to keep himself warm. "Fine.. fine. I guess," Nova replied, and stood up, letting the sheet drop to the floor. "Why's it so cold in here?" Nova said as he glanced to Leon.

Leon had slowly arched a brow as he glanced up to him. "Nova. I don't think you've noticed.. but.. you're nude." By now, a few nurses were staring, along with some of the patients.

".. Ahh!"


Later that day...

Nova was on his way back to Earth. He figured he'd leave Destiny with them for now, since.. well.. he would only be gone a few days; or so that's what he planned.

As the pilot of the transport soon had landed upon the clearing inside the woods, Nova had gave his thanks and stepped out, watching the transport pull up, and soon, fly back towards space until it was out of view.

Alone. Again.

Nova had decided to wear a common attire; white t-shirt, jean shorts, sneakers, and short white socks. He of course didn't want to walk around naked, nor did he want to wear his uniform.

He could see it now.

"What the heck is TRAG?" "STAR?" "Where are you from; Mars!?" "Meow!"

He dared not wear anything like that.

Nova picked up the black bookbag he had taken with him, and placed it over his shoulder. It was time to wander off towards the nearby town and get a hotel. Truthfully, he was lost. He couldn't remember when the last time he -wasn't- lost in a big place with lots of trees. All he knew that he had been dropped off near a nice place, or so what he had been told.

"A nice, quiet place," Nova hoped.

Step by step, those sneakers stepped on everything imaginable in a forest. Twigs, leafs, dung. Flies were even buzzing around his head by now. Relaxing!? This was the most miserable place yet! And he had walked.. what? 15 feet from where he arrived?

"Stupid vacation and the stupid-" Nova just began to go on rambling, complaining, and mumbling about all things considered. And after about five minutes; there it was. A town. And by the looks, it was most definitely a quiet down.

He had come out of the forest near a nonbusy highway that happened to be right next to the small town. A few cars passed by; he most definitely noticed how 99.9% of the people stared at him as he drove by. It wasn't anything new.

Nova quickly crossed the road to enter the town; population.. what? Him? He noticed a few buildings; a bar, a motel, a few housings, a cafe, and a.. lemonade stand. It seemed that maybe after all he wasn't the only one in the town. Over half the cars in town looked to be parked in front of the bar. A shake of that feline cranium, and he headed towards the motel. The motel looked old, slightly. Sure. But it was good enough. Nova noticed that there was a statue of a cross, laying down on it's back on one of the side's of the motel.

"Hello?" Nova said as he pushed open the door to the office of the motel; immediately he was greeted in a friendly way; first thing he got to see was the barrel of a shotgun pointed in his direction. Only then had he noticed that some older lady was holding it; she seemed maybe in her 70s.

"Whoa! Wait! Don't shoot!" Nova's eyes went wide, and both paws rose into the air, only after dropping that bookbag on the floor. His tail even raised behind his body.

"What the HECK are you?" The lady snapped, keeping that gun raised. "I don't care if aliens take over this here world.. but it ain't starting with this place!"

"Hey! Wait a minute..! I'm just looking for a place to stay! I'm.. uh.. a human with a rare disease!" Nova responded, almost dumbfounded. What else could he say?

The lady just flinched once, but, slowly the gun was placed down under the counter. "Sure some strange disease. How long are ya gonna be stayin' 'ere?"

"Uh.. um. Three days," Nova said with a shrug as he cautiously walked to the counter; he really didn't want to loose a limb to a shotgun blast.

".. Alright. And I promise, if you and you're.. disease.. make's any trouble around 'ere. I'm gonna shoot you," She said bluntly before handing over a set of keys. "Pay the day you leave," and with that.. she turned around to resume watching some TV that flickered on and off; it was practically impossible to tell what she was watching.

"Uh. Yeah. Thank you," Nova said with a blink, tossing the keys up a bit and catching them again, and with that, he stepped out of the office, and headed to his room.


At least the room wasn't as horrible as he thought it'd be. After Nova shut the door to his room, he glanced around curiously; a bed, bathroom, sink, desk and dresser, and a TV that most likely didn't even work.

He wasn't here to watch TV anyway.

The bag was placed beside the bed, and Nova collapsed on his frontside on the bed. Finally, relaxation. His shoes had been kicked off, and soon he curled up ontop of the covers. A cat nap was just what the scientist had ordered.

Yeah, right.

He could hear someone in the next room; he didn't even want to have to listen or think about what was happening. Eyes just slowly opened and stared at the bed. After a bit of more of his nonsense mumbling, he pulled on his sneakers, and he walked right back out the door.

It was only about 7 PM, the sun was just now starting to hit the horizon, and Nova figured why not check out the bar? Unless he wanted to go to the other houses and asked if anyone wanted to play twister, he had no choice, really.

Soon he found himself standing in front of the bar. The windows were impossible to see through; so much dirt had coated them.

"Yeah.. reeeaaallly nice place," Nova said to himself as his balled digits managed a drip around the doornob, and opened it.

How many people in this town owned shotguns!?

He got the same greeting. You know, the one where a shotgun barrel was pointed towards your head. Only this time, 3/4's of the bar were aimming at him. Which was probably nine or ten people.

"You guy's are really nice in this town." Nova offered a cheesy, mewtwoish smile.. once again having forced to raise his paws back into the air.

"What do you want..?" The bartender spoke up.

"Uh. Can I get a drink?"

"What the heck are you..?" The bartender said. Why did Nova not see this one coming?

"I'm.. uh.. someone with a very rare disease," Nova said. Why not use the same excuse?

".. Oh," was all he got for a reply. And slowly all the shotguns were lowered, and then put away. What I.Q. did all these people have? An I.Q. of 10? Maybe less?

Nova wandered over to an empty stool, and sat down. He looked over the contents behind the bar. "I'll.. take a beer please."

The bartender just arched a brow. "Yep. We have lot's of beer here. What kind would you like?"

Ugh. All Nova knew about beer was that he had drank a few beers before. He didn't know any brand names. "Any.. good.. kind," was all Nova said.

The bartender just kept a brow arched, and then shrugged, pulling out a bottle of some brand of beer, and placed it on the countertop.

After paying the bartender, Nova opened the bottle and placed it to his lips. One bottle wouldn't be horrible, would it?


An hour later...

Laughing hysterically; Nova fell backwards off the stool onto his back.. still holding onto that half empty beer bottle. About ten or more beer bottles were placed on the counter in front of where he had been sitting. Nova had gotten drunk, obviously. He had been laughing and talking with the rest of the people who remained in the bar.

"So.. I said.. 'I know what you're thinking.. what's a place like this.. doing in a guy like me..?'" Nova said. He made no real sense. But he, and the drunken others, had found this funny. Soon, the wobbly mewtwo stood up.

"W-Well.. that's.. mah story.. and I think I better get back to the hotel.. cause.. I'm tired.. and.. I think I'm gonna.. pass out.." Nova said, adding another snicker to it.

After giving his goodbyes, the drunken mewtwo wobbled out the door. It had rained. Well, it still was raining, actually. Water puddles on the ground.. soft rain dripping from the sky above. It was relaxing, in a way.

Nova shook his head, rubbing it with a paw before giving a grunt laugh, and stumbled towards the motel.

Splash.

The sound of another footstep hitting a puddle was only a foot away. And even though Nova was drunk, he could tell someone was approaching him.

"Huh?" Nova blunted out slightly, looking to his right, and only briefly he caught a glimpse of someone in a grey raincoat and hood. And soon afterwards, something hit him.. hard.. in the back of the neck. It felt like a metal pipe.

"Uhn!" Nova was too startled to fight back instantly. Instead, he fell face first into a puddle of mud and water.. slowly pushing his wobbly self up.

"Nova," the person in the raincoat said. He couldn't tell if it was a guy or a girl. Nova did notice that the person was holding a steel pipe.

"Who.. are.. y-" Nova slowly and weakly began to speak, but, from all the beer, and the blow to the back of the neck, he collapsed on the mud, lightning fill the sky and rain trinkling down his back.



"Uh.." Nova gave a soft moan as he shifted a bit. Somehow he had found himself back on the motel bed, stripped to only his boxers. A blink. Nova slowly sat up. And all he could remember was his splitting headache.

"Shoot.." Nova grunted as he held his head. Half of the headache was from a hangover, and the other from the blow from a metal pipe. "Who the.. heck.. was that? And how'd I get bac-" Nova stopped suddenly, then held his mouth as he dashed to the restroom and began to puke in the toilet. Nova had never felt so crappy in his life. He fell back against a wall, feeling his forehead. He figured he might have a fever, but right now, he wanted to know what had happened.

After cleaning his mouth off, and making sure he didn't have to barf again, he stepped back into the room. His clothes from the other night were covered in mud, and still soaking wet beside the bed. Nova sighed, picking up his bookbag and placed it on the bed, unzipping it and pulling out a black t-shirt, somewhat baggy grey shorts, and an extra pair of sneakers and socks.

Soon he was dressed in the clean, fresh smelling clothing, and he wandered out the door, closing it afterwards.


Nova pushed open the door to the office and stepped inside. He was surprised to find he wasn't greeted by a shotgun. "Um.. not to.. be disrupting you or anything. But did you see someone outside in a grey raincoat?" Nova asked, placing those soft paws upon the countertop, leaning against it ever so slightly.

"No. But I did find you outside. I kicked you and you woke up, and just stumbled to you're room. And I swear, if I got you disease, I'm gonna shoot you," the old lady said before turning back to her still flickering TV.

"That explains that; gee, thanks," Nova thought, and shrugged. "Uh, yeah, thanks," Nova said instead, and walked out of the office. Now what?

Nova snapped; he had an excellent idea! Even though he was no detective, he at least was.. somewhat.. smart!

He hurried outside to where he most likely had fallen. The puddles and footsteps were still outside. And he soon found where he had fallen. Footsteps were right next to his body. He knew one of the pair of footsteps was the old lady, but the steps to his right.. he knew they had to be the person in the grey raincoat.

He followed those footsteps; and where they led, he was a bit surprised. A trail of mud prints that matched the same footsteps to the right of where he had been laying had led right to a door of the motel. The door right next to his.

".. Some sick joke of someone?" Nova thought. But, how did they know his name? It couldn't have been some practical joke. He growled a bit, figuring he'd have to lockpick his way in. But, strangely, with a slight turn of the knob, the door creeked open.

"Gosh! Something smells..!" Nova quickly covered his nose; it smelt like someone had gotten all the roadkill they squashed and put it in the room. He kept one paw on his nose as he slowly stepped inside. The bed part of the room was fine, it seemed. Except for a stain of blood he recently noticed on the motel's carpet. It was near the entrance to the bathroom. And the smell seemed to be coming from the bathroom too.

"Dangit," Nova mumbled, slowly and cautiously stepping over to the bathroom door, taking a peek inside.

Oh god.

Nova's eyes shut wide, and he stumbled backwards. He had seen bad stuff before. But this hit him harder for some reason. He covered his mouth to keep from yelling out.

A dead corpse. Blood splattered along the walls everywhere. The body was too gruesome to even know who it was. But from a few features that remained untouched, it looked unfamiliar. He swallowed, and gasped slightly in fear as he noticed right above the corpse that sat in the bathtub, there was four letters written in blood.

Nova.

"Why won't you guy's just leave me alone..!?" Nova flinched, just staring at the four letters, and that corpse's face. Or rather, what was left of it. Suddenly, a loud scream filled the room, and Nova shut his eyes, holding his ears shut. "Ah!"

Soon, the sound passed, and after a gulp, both arms were slowly lowered, and eyes wandered around the place before quickly settling back into the bathroom. The body was gone. The blood was gone. Even the smell was gone.

"What.. the heck.. is going on?" Nova winced, looking from left to right, and soon, fell to his knees, holding his head. "Just leave me alone..! Please!"



Nova tossed and turned all that night. Nightmares; he had been having them for as far as he could remember.

"Nova," Mr. Mashemi stood in front of the little boy Nova, grinning as he held tight to that leather whip. "You failed to obey me again. Now I think you're gonna have to face the consequences!" A dark chuckle. The sound of the whip cracking into Nova's skin was painful enough. The screams. The begging. All of it filled his head as Nova slept uncomfortably under the covers.

Suddenly, everything in his dream went black. Then, there was that bathroom. The dead body and letters written in blood. Something whispered to him softly.

"Nova.. Nova.. Nova.. Nova..! Nova..! Nova! NOVA!" The voice got louder, and louder, until it was screaming.

"Ah!" Nova jumped up into a sitting position on the bed; he had woken up in a cold sweat. He whimpered softly, and burried his face within his paws. Sobs soon followed, along with tears.

"Why do you continue to haunt me..?" Nova looked up towards the ceiling. "Whatever you are that's haunting me."

Thump.

Footsteps. He knew it was. He didn't mistake that at all! And it sounded like they were on the roof.

On the roof?

Why would someone be on the roof at midnight? Nova knew this wasn't just some motel repair man. He growled, pulling on what he had off of his clothes, and dashed out the door.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

The footsteps were definitely on the roof. Nova growled, got down into a pouncing position, and jumped, grabbing onto the edge of the roof and quickly pulled himself up. There he was. Or, maybe it was a she.

That person in that grey raincoat and hood. His back was to Nova. But Nova figured he was aware of his presense.

"You! Who are you!" Nova called out to the person. He got no reply. Except for a low, dark chuckle.

"You don't remember me, Nova?" Another chuckle as the presumingly male turned around, letting his raincoat slide off his body. It was Jyro. Nova wasn't surprised.

"And you just had to come and ruin my vacation..!" Nova growled, pointing one of those slightly balled digits towards the demon.

"I ment to kill you, actually. Instead, I knocked you out. I knew someone was watching, but I wasn't sure who. No matter. No one is watching now," Jyro said as he unsheathed his sword. The sword was new; Nova could tell. He had never seen it before. It was like his Sword of Darkness. Yet. It was upgraded. He had two, actually.

"Yeah. Guess what. I don't have a sword-" Nova was stopped short. His old Sword of Darkness had appeared right in his grasp. ".. Oh."

Jyro laughed, bringing both hands to the hilt of the sword, holding it in a fighting position. "I've wanted to fight sword to sword for a long time, Nova. Let's see who will survive!"

Nova flinced a bit, glaring at Jyro. He kept one hand on the handle of the sword, in a fighting position. "Come on..!"

And they both ran towards each other.

Cling! Clang!

The swords were swung at each other numerous times, each time someone blocked. Nova and Jyro went at it with the sword fighting at almost an amazing speed.

Nova growled, completeing a spin and swinging the blade of the sword right towards Jyro's hip; Jyro of course hit the blade away, and stabbed towards Nova.

Eye's widened; Nova barely got away this time. He moved to the side just before it would have stabbed through him.

Cling! Clang!

The fighting went on. And so far, no one had even been cut once. But that would soon change.


"Nova! Is this all you have? I'm not even trying!" Jyro laughed, and gave it all his best in one swing towards Nova.

Nova yelped in pain, the tip of the blade had sliced against his hip. He stumbled backwards, holding the bleeding cut in pain.

"Aw. Poor Nova. Let me make you all better. By ending you now!" Jyro laughed yet again, and swung the sword for his head. Nova quickly ducked, swinging the dull side of his sword towards Jyro's gut; it connected.

Jyro grunted and stumbled back, quickly regaining his balance and fighting pose. "What was that, Nova? You could have killed me, idiot!"

Nova growled, readying his sword back into fighting position, allowing his anger to get the best of him. He swung at him with the blade, barely missing Jyro, who had quickly stepped back, near the end of the roof.

"You missed," Jyro said, chuckling as he rose his sword, readying to strike. Suddenly, a sharp pain, right in his stomach. He slowly looked to Nova.

".. No. I didn't," Nova growled. He had stabbed the sword right through Jyro's stomach, his paws still gripping the handle of it.

"N-..No.." Jyro's eyes were wide in both intense pain, and surprise. He gripped the blade slightly, unable to pull it out of him. He had lost.

"Goodbye, Jyro," Nova said, eyes still narrowed. He slowly letting the handle go.

Jyro just stared at Nova, blood dripping from the corner of his mouth. Slowly, he stumbled backwards, off the roof, and landed, right ontop of the cross.. arms spread out and dead eyes staring up at the dark, cloudy sky.

Nova slowly stepped to the edge of the roof, staring down at the lifeless Jyro. He.. finally killed him? Nova couldn't believe it.

Something landed on Nova's head; wet. It was a raindrop. It was beginning to rain, lightning and thunder filling the air. Soon, Nova was attacked by many raindrops, watching as Jyro stayed there, water mixing in with the spilt blood.

Nova looked up towards the sky; he couldn't tell if he was happy or sad. "What should I do..?" He kept his eyes locked on the sky. He was talking to himself, or maybe someone else that wasn't there visually.

He soon fell to his knees; he knew nothing of what to do now. For now, he rested, and waited, allowing the water to coat his fur.

".. Mashemi. You're next," Nova whispered softly, his eyes shutting as he spoke to himself.

It would be a long night, and one to remember.