Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ The Psychic Pokemon Experience ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4

Mewtwo was very, very upset. Mainly because Mewtwo was always upset. He considered all humans a threat, and hated them with a passion. Though they had given him life, he hated his very existence, too. They had split what was meant to be one in two, and endangered himself and his (for lack of a better term) life partner in the process.

He and his companions (Mew, Golduck and Alakazam) had been traveling over Saffron City when they ran into a vicious storm. While the details were still unclear, they suspected that Mew had been struck by a lightning bolt. The next thing they knew, she was gone without a trace. Golduck had suggested landing in a nearby cave for the night, and Mewtwo, as leader of the group, had quickly agreed. Mew was very important to them all, and no one wanted to lose another member of their party.

They had searched the city for days, but Mew's psychic link with the group had obviously been severed. This either meant she was unconscious or dead, but none of them had even considered the latter. Alakazam had just suggested continuing their search in neighboring Celadon City when Mewtwo suddenly picked up their missing friend's psychic imprint. Within seconds, they'd spotted the house she had been staying in. Much to Mewtwo's disgust, she was staying with humans. But as leader, he had ordered Golduck and Alakazam to stay airborne until he could assure their safety.

Now that he finally had Mew in his sights, he was hit by an overwhelming sense of nausea and anger. A human was holding her. Instantly assuming that Mew was being held captive, he had been ready to strike a fatal blow. But then he spotted a fellow psychic Pokemon on the young girl's shoulder: an Abra, still a novice, but in Mewtwo's opinion, no Pokemon deserved to die. So, he'd issued it an ultimatum: release Mew or die. He would only kill the human, though. The Abra would either be allowed to join the group or released promptly back into the wild.

Since his demands weren't met at once, Mewtwo growled menacingly. This time, the little girl began to back away very slowly. Angered by her actions, Mewtwo quickly constructed a spherical psychic barrier around them. If she wished to escape, she would have to go through him.

On the other curve of the barrier, Sabrina was terrified. A strange and truly powerful cat was demanding that she hand over Mew. She wasn't even sure if he would hurt her or not. "Abra, what should I do?" she asked. While Abra wasn't asleep, he remained silent. Any advice he gave the girl might be considered treason. He was already at great risk by remaining with her.

"Let me go, Sabrina. I won't let him hurt you."

The voice had come into her head quietly, almost as a whisper. It took Sabrina a few seconds to realize that the voice came from Mew.

"Let me go," she repeated, staring at the child. "Quickly. Mewtwo has very little patience with humans."

Sabrina did as she was told, and watched fearfully as Mew approached the other cat. To her relief, the barrier slowly faded away once Mew was behind him.

Mewtwo kept his eyes on the girl. "Are you hurt, comrade?" he asked.

Mew placed a gentle paw on his shoulder. "They healed me, Mewtwo. Don't hurt them."

The cat seemed to relax, but only a little. "Very well. They shall not die."

"The little girl," Mew said, staring at Sabrina. "She is different from any human I've ever met. When she spoke to me, I could understand her words."

Of course, Mewtwo wasn't impressed by the news. While he understood English, he refused to speak it. He considered the language of psychic Pokemon to be a divine speech. The fact that a human understood it angered him. "What are you suggesting?" he asked.

"She could be the one," Mew replied solemnly. "You said yourself that it might be a human instead of a Pokemon."

"I've been wrong before," Mewtwo snapped.

Sabrina stared at the two cats. Now that they stood side by side, she could see the resemblance more clearly. Perhaps they were related in some way. Probably brother and sister, by the way they appeared to be arguing. "Abra, should we go?" Sabrina asked quietly.

His claws dug into her shoulders. "If you value your well-being, make no sudden movements, child. Mewtwo is extremely dangerous."

After a few more moments of heated argument with Mew, Mewtwo stepped forward, his eyes shining with indisputable power. He stopped a few feet away from Sabrina. Despite Abra's earlier warning, the girl trembled in fear. The cat instantly noticed this. Something of an evil smile begin to appear on his face, but a sharp look from Mew halted it.

"Are you afraid of me, child?" Mewtwo asked, a certain satisfaction in his words. Though his mouth never moved, Sabrina could hear his voice directly in her mind.

"Y-Yes, sir," Sabrina answered fearfully.

"Normally, I am above communicating with humans, but it seems that my comrade owes you her life. Is this correct?"

Sabrina only nodded.

Mewtwo beckoned her closer with his paw. After confirming with Abra that it meant the same thing to Pokemon as it did to humans, Sabrina slowly stepped closer. Mewtwo's right paw came to rest directly on her forehead. "Open your mind to me, child." A few seconds later, a warm feeling washed over Sabrina's entire body. She blinked three times and looked at Mewtwo.

"Can you understand me?" he asked.

Sabrina gasped in shock. The words had come from his mouth this time. Dumbfounded, she managed to nod her head.

At this point, Mew stepped forward. "At my request, Sabrina, Mewtwo has given you a very generous gift. You are now able to communicate with any type of Pokemon you come in contact with. No other human on Earth possesses such an ability."

"Thank you," was all Sabrina could say.

Mew smiled and nodded, while Mewtwo fixed the girl with an angry glare. "I have also given you the ability to communicate with Mew directly. You will be allowed to call on us to grant you one wish, but never again afterwards."

Sabrina was about to ask for something right then, but a mental warning from Abra cut her off.

"Mewtwo wants you to take time to think about the wish first, dear," Mew explained. "In fact, we don't expect to hear from you again until several years have passed. You must choose your wish carefully, for it's the only one you'll get from us."

Sabrina nodded. "So you're leaving now?"

"Only physically," Mew replied. "We'll always be with you here." She tapped Sabrina's forehead with her paw. "Understand?"

"I think so," Sabrina answered.

Suddenly, there was an angry squawk from high above.

"Golduck's becoming impatient, comrade," Mewtwo said, glancing upward. "We must go now."

Mew hopped into Sabrina's arms and licked her cheek. "Don't forget about us!" With that, she flew into the air, her tail waving as she went.

Mewtwo followed, keeping a close eye on Sabrina. "Farewell, child," he said at last. Surprisingly, there was no anger or contempt in his tone. Then he rocketed into the sky, disappearing over a cloud.

Golduck and Alakazam quickly did the same. After casting a final glance down at Sabrina, Mew followed them.