Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ 100_Moods ❯ Mood #87: Scared ( Chapter 87 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Title: Borrowed courage
Author: Shadow/Phantomness
Pairing: Eienshipping (Red x Cheryl)
Fandom: Pokémon
Theme: #62, Brave

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Pokemon belongs to Satoshi Tajiri, Nintendo and Shogakukan Comics. This non-profit, non-copyright infringing fanfiction belongs to me under international copyright laws and taking it is plagiarism. Thank you. *Phantomness bows*
Notes: <> for telepathy, ** for thoughts, italics if a pokemon talks. Game-verse
Warnings: Het
 
“I'm scared.” Cheryl whispered. She and her Chansey sat next to the entrance of Eterna Forest. “I don't want to go by myself…”
Footsteps sounded.
It was a boy in jeans and a red-and-white jacket. He grinned as he walked towards the sign. Cheryl's eyes lit up.
“Wait, please!”
Red blinked as the girl ran up to him. “What is it?”
“C-Can I travel through the forest with you?”
He shrugged. “Sure.”
Cheryl breathed a quiet sigh of relief, as they began to walk.
 
Red was surprised when a pair of Wurmple attacked. He shrugged and released Staravia. Cheryl sent out Chansey.
He had experienced double battles before, but controlling two Pokemon himself was different from having a partner.
Still, Chansey's Egg Bomb attack was pretty strong, even if it didn't seem to know any other moves.
Cheryl looked up at him worriedly. Was she a beginner? That might explain why she was so scared.
He grinned. “Don't worry, Cheryl. I'll protect you.”
The green-haired girl nodded, and they kept walking.
 
Things went rather well - there were plenty of wild Pokemon to train against in these woods, but she still squeaked when he ran into a Psychic.
The yukata-clad boy sent out an Abra.
Red just grinned. “Houndour, you're up!”
One good Bite attack and the threat had been dealt with.
Cheryl shivered.
 
That night, they camped by a grove of trees. Cheryl had brought peanut butter crackers, and Red made chicken noodle soup from a can. They shared their food with each other.
His Houndour napped while they prepared dinner.
“Cheryl, I think you're a good Trainer. Why are you so scared?” He asked.
“I don't know.” She said, before she realized it was honest. Why was she afraid? Was it because of wild Pokemon? No, everything they had battled together today was low-level and unthreatening.
Besides, she wasn't alone - she had Chansey!
“Well, think about it.” He suggested, before pouring out a bowl of soup for her.
Cheryl nodded and sipped the hot broth slowly.
She wished she could be as confident as Red, but for now, as long as he was with her, she could borrow some.
Maybe, with experience, she would learn not to be frightened any longer.
 
End Fic
Completed 1/15/08
On a completely random note, `Orihime' from bleach was suggested as `Orifice' by my spell-checker. O.O