Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ 100_Situations: Theme Set #1 ❯ Theme #77: Upset ( Chapter 77 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Title: Death Note (Part XII)
Author: Shadow/Phantomness
Pairing: Championshipping (Lance x Red)
Fandom: Pokémon
Theme: #77, Upset

Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: Pokemon belongs to Nintendo and Shogakukan Comics. This non-profit, non-copyright infringing fanfiction belongs to me under international copyright laws and taking it is plagiarism. Thank you. *Phantomness bows*
Notes: <> for telepathy, ** for thoughts, italics if a pokemon talks
Warnings: AU, shoujo-ai
 
“Why are you doing this, Seiyou?” Sakaki demanded. “Why are you so sure my daughter is Kira?”
Seiyou frowned. “She's the only suspect we have.” She said shortly. “This is for the best, Sakaki.”
“This investigation is dangerous…”
“It doesn't matter. She's the type that loves justice, isn't she? I'm sure she would be honored to help.”
And if Wataru was Kira, and she slipped up, they would have their culprit.
Sakaki shook his head. He didn't like it. He just couldn't believe that his daughter was Kira.
Besides, it wasn't as though Seiyou had proof
 
Wataru was feeling rather upset herself, though it was for a different reason. She and Red had been walking through the streets at night on their way home after a date, when this man had come up to them with a knife. Apparently Red's mother was a famous actress and well, things got complicated from there.
She hadn't had time to use the Death Note, and Red didn't carry hers since she left it with Mikuri, needless to say they had gotten cornered on top of a building and that was when Wataru had grabbed Red and jumped off.
She had expected to die. She hadn't expected Daigo to catch her though she was pretty sure Mikuri would save Red.
It had been a rather nasty shock when Red's eyes had gone wide and she had discovered that they were no longer falling. They had glided down to the pavement almost gently, and she wondered briefly if Seiyou had planned this whole escapade but decided that no, that was not the answer, especially when the man jumped off after them.
He smashed on the pavement below in a bloody pulp.
 
“They're pretty.” Was the first thing Red had said, once they had run a safe distance away from the scene of the crime.
“What?”
“Your wings. They're all shiny and silvery.”
Wings?
How on earth would she have wings? Why on earth, for that matter?
She cast a sharp look at Daigo, who shrugged nonchalantly.
 
It saved your life, didn't it?
“Daigo… you can't mean…!”
She had mentioned in passing that if Daigo's trade had been for Shinigami wings instead of eyes, she would have taken it. After all, which human didn't want to fly? And having wings would be God-like…
But… for him to have actually done it without telling her…!
She swayed unsteadily as she realized that her lifespan had already been cut in half, and Red hugged her tightly.
“Wataru-san…”
 
Mikuri stared at Daigo. Why would you do such a thing to your Death Note holder?
Because it was amusing... Daigo said simply. After all, I'm not obsessed with her like you are with yours. It's not worth it.
“Wataru-san…”
Wataru took a deep breath, holding Red. “I… I think I'm just in shock…”
“Why don't you stay over at my apartment tonight then? I don't think you want to go home in this state.”
Wataru nodded absently, and Red quickly led the way through the tangled streets for four blocks until they reached her apartment. Red's mother was filming in Hollywood, so she probably wouldn't be back for a few months. Red settled Wataru on the couch with several fluffy pillows and a quilt, and made hot chocolate.
Wataru seethed inwardly, quietly.
Damn that Shinigami…
Still, at least she wasn't a messy splotch on the pavement… and she had saved Red's life…
 
“You can't see them?” Red asked.
Wataru shook her head as she took a sip of her hot chocolate. It was quite good. “No. I don't have the eyes, so I doubt I'd be able to see them. I didn't even know they were there…”
“They are pretty though.” Red looked at Wataru anxiously. “Are you all right?”
“This is good hot chocolate.”
“You're avoiding the question.” Red pouted. “It must be a shock… but think of all the benefits. You can fly now right?”
Wataru nodded slowly. Yes, she could fly… that was a benefit. And she still had Red's eyes… and she wasn't dead…
She got up abruptly, setting the mug down with a clatter and pulled Red into a hug, causing her to squeak in surprise.
 
“I'm sorry for making you worry, Red. I think it will be all right now.”
“Wataru-san…” Red stared into golden eyes, a blush tinting her cheeks. “We…”
Aww, how sweet! Daigo grinned. Wataru ignored him. So did Red.
 
“It's all right.” Wataru leaned forwards, kissing Red. “After all, it saved our lives didn't it? I can hardly fault that.”
Red had to agree, and they really were pretty, but it was too bad Wataru couldn't see them. She ran her finger along smooth scales, frowning.
“I think maybe… you know how we can't see our Shinigami unless we touch the Death Note, right? And other people can walk right through Shinigami, so your wings are from the Shinigami world and that is why I'm the only person who can touch them.”
“Makes sense.” Wataru agreed, glancing at the two Shinigami floating behind them. Mikuri shook his head, while Daigo grinned unrepentantly.
At least now she had another hidden advantage…
She petted Red's hair a bit awkwardly, and began to smile, a long slow smile that didn't touch her eyes.
 
End Fic
Completed 1/12/07
Red: Lance can fly!
Lance: ^^
Phantomness: *Grin*
Shoyko: But it was dark!
Kairo: But it's funny darkness!
But anyways, I would like to point out that according to the anime, Shinigami wings are retractable, this Lance could have them and not know. Whee! And I like pairing Red with Lance. They fit together really well. Too bad Light was too self-centered to appreciate Misa!