Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ 100_Situations: Theme Set #1 ❯ Theme #83: Prison ( Chapter 83 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Title: Death Note (Part XIV)
Author: Shadow/Phantomness
Pairing: Championshipping (Lance x Red)
Fandom: Pokémon
Theme: #83, Prison

Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: Pokemon belongs to Nintendo and Shogakukan Comics. This non-profit, non-copyright infringing fanfiction belongs to me under international copyright laws and taking it is plagiarism. Thank you. *Phantomness bows*
Notes: <> for telepathy, ** for thoughts, italics if a pokemon talks
Warnings: AU, shoujo-ai
 
“Is your brother back yet?” Sakaki asked, as he closed the door behind him. Hanako yawned, walking upstairs for a shower before bed. It had been a nice date, a quiet little café with no blaring televisions…
“No, Father.” Yellow said, turning another page of her manga. “He's probably at his girlfriend's apartment again.”
Sakaki nodded. He had to remind himself that Wataru was now a college student, and it was perfectly reasonable for him to have a girlfriend and even… do things. He rubbed his eyes tiredly as he walked upstairs, ready for a long night's sleep.
 
Red slept soundly as Wataru stirred her tea meditatively with one hand, pen busy moving over the pages of her Death Note as she watched the pictures and names of convicted criminals stream by on the Internet. That broadcast at Sakura Television had been a bold mood, and now she was wondering if it had been a mistake.
Certainly, it had gotten S's attention…
Had they made anything too obvious? She hoped not.
After half an hour, she stretched with a yawn and pocketed her Death Note, before changing into comfortable pajamas and joining Red in bed.
A few days passed peacefully enough, before the bomb dropped.
 
“Well?”
Kyou nodded to S. “It seems that we have something.” He said shortly. “The carpet fibers in her apartment match the fragment in the adhesive tape used to seal the envelopes that sent the videotapes to the T.V. station. Also, we found a positive match for a fingerprint.”
“This proves it. Red Nakamura is Kira!” Machisu said excitedly.
Sakaki looked quite put out, but he was inwardly grateful that it was not Wataru who had been suspected after all.
 
The next day, Wataru was sitting in the courtyard with Daigo floating behind her, waiting for Red to show up when she saw Seiyou stroll up with a contented smile on her face.
“Nice to see you again, Higashi-san.” Wataru said.
Seiyou nodded. “Yes, well, things have changed, so now I need no longer fear Kira, I can freely come out into the open.”
“Oh?” Wataru raised her eyebrows.
Seiyou smiled. “Yes. I am afraid this will be a case of good and bad news for you, Wataru-san. Normally, I would not divulge such private information, but I think you deserve to know.”
She smiled. “Your girlfriend, Nakamura Red, has been arrested on suspicion of being the second Kira.”
For a long moment, Wataru just gaped at Seiyou. “What?”
“Yes, it must be a terrible blow.” Seiyou was almost preening with satisfaction, “But think of the good it will do mankind. And after all, you're still young. You have plenty of time to find another girl-.”
Seiyou cut off as Wataru stalked off angrily, fingers itching for the Death Note so she could wipe the arrogant smirk off that bitch's face.
Damn you, S…!
 
This is most unfortunate for you, isn't it? Daigo asked, as they found a quiet spot in a café. Wataru sighed as she took a sip of green tea.
“Yes, and I don't suppose you'll offer to aid me in any way.”
Not interested.
“Hmm.” Wataru had told Red not to reveal the existence of the Death Notes or Shinigami if she were ever caught, but was that enough?
And for some reason, she just couldn't bring herself to kill Red with the Death Note. She sighed.
Maybe Mikuri could help, but there was no way to talk to him, since he was bound to his Death Note Holder just like Daigo was bound to her. “I don't suppose you could go find Mikuri for me, Daigo?”
What's in it for me?
“How many apples do you want?”
Daigo considered. Two dozen. Every day.
“I suppose I can manage that…” Wataru said, mentally calculating how much it would cut into her allowance. “All right.”
 
Daigo prepared to leave, but stopped short as Mikuri appeared. Wataru's eyes widened. “Mikuri? What are you doing here?”
Mikuri took a deep breath. Red… she has given up Ownership of her Death Note.
“What? When?” Wataru demanded.
They captured her two days ago. I wish I could have contacted you, but I was unable to leave her. She… Mikuri frowned. She was starting to hallucinate when I left. She told me to kill her so she wouldn't betray your secrets once she reached her psychological limit, but I couldn't do that…
Wataru's breath caught. “I…I see….”
So I told her that if she gave up ownership of her Death Note, she would lose all memories related to it. She would forget being Kira, that you were Kira, and of course, she would lose the Shinigami eyes and never see Daigo or me again, but she would still love you - that part of her would not change. Then, she smiled, and she agreed.
Mikuri sighed. And then she passed out, and I came here.
 
Daigo shook his head. I will never understand.
“Mikuri…”
But I say this. Mikuri said, and his eyes were hard. If you don't find a way to save Red, I will kill you. She wouldn't even let me undo her restraints so she could escape, because she didn't want to reveal the existence of supernatural powers. She was willing to die for you, Wataru. You had better honor that!
“I understand.” Wataru said, taking a deep breath. “Thank you for telling me this, Mikuri. I have a plan.”
Mikuri watched as Wataru got up and led the way into a secluded area, before she turned to him again.
“Mikuri, the owner of that notebook is me now, right?”
Mikuri nodded. Since you are the one she would entrust it with, yes.
“And if I relinquish ownership of my notebook, the one from Daigo, what happens to the ownership?”
It reverts to the Shinigami, but you can only return the notebook to the Shinigami it previously belonged to. Mikuri spoke, after Daigo blinked for a few moments. You didn't know this, Daigo?
I'm not such a rule-abider, Mikuri! Get off my case!
“And…” Wataru's eyes hardened. “As long as you have one notebook, you retain the memories of all the notebooks, correct?”
That's also true.
“And there's no problem if Shinigami exchange Death Notes, right?”
I suppose not… Mikuri said doubtfully. What are you planning?
Wataru took a deep breath. “Mikuri, I need you and Daigo to exchange Death Notes. Red's for mine.”
Daigo shrugged. It's your funeral.
Mikuri frowned, but obeyed Wataru's instructions. Now what?
“Now… I'm going to relinquish ownership of my Death Note - the one you're holding, Mikuri. That means now it doesn't belong to anyone, right?”
Mikuri nodded.
“Give it to some greedy human who will use it for personal gain, but make sure that he adheres to the rules of killing criminals on T.V. in exchange.” Wataru said. “If years go by and Red is still confined, you have my permission to kill me.”
I will hold you to that promise. Mikuri said. However, why this notebook?
“No fingerprints. Plus, there is nothing in it to connect it to Red or me. They will have to assume that the human you give it to is Kira. After all, the names don't disappear after you write them.”
… Very well. Mikuri said slowly. I will do as you ask. With that, he spread his wings and flew away.
 
And what now? Daigo asked. Will you give up ownership of your Death Note to me? If you do, you'll lose your memories too.
“I can't do that. Not yet.” Wataru shook her head. “I need to make sure nothing happens to Red. But I may… for now, I need you to keep the Death Note for me.”
Do tell. Daigo said, narrowing his eyes.
“Listen, Daigo. The next time I say `Get Rid of it', no matter the context, assume that I'm talking about the Death Note, all right?”
The Shinigami nodded, stifling a yawn. And?
“Even though S has captured Red, I doubt she's satisfied - she'd probably like to have both Kiras. Therefore, I'm going to voluntarily put myself in confinement too. Once I'm there after a certain amount of time, I'll forfeit ownership of the Death Note and lose my memories, so there will be no evidence to gain from me either.”
But how will this help anyone?
Wataru smiled. “You'll see.” And without further ado, she walked straight to the police station.
 
End Chapter
Created 1/14/07
Completed 1/15/07
Well, I suppose this is a climax in the fic…
Lance: Sigh
Red: *Hugs Lance*
Phantomness: And I admit I shamelessly lifted most of this from the actual manga.