Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ 100_Situations: Theme Set #1 ❯ Theme #88: Negative ( Chapter 88 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Title: Death Note (Part XV)
Author: Shadow/Phantomness
Pairing: Championshipping (Lance x Red/Ash)
Fandom: Pokémon
Theme: #88, Negative

Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: Pokemon belongs to Nintendo and Shogakukan Comics. This non-profit, non-copyright infringing fanfiction belongs to me under international copyright laws and taking it is plagiarism. Thank you. *Phantomness bows*
Notes: <> for telepathy, ** for thoughts, italics if a pokemon talks
Warnings: AU, Shoujo-ai
 
Sakaki mournfully watched the video screens. It had been so unexpected, Wataru coming into the station and announcing that she was afraid she was Kira, and could they please put her in confinement. He attributed it to an abnormal desire to protect her girlfriend, and Machisu and Kyou agreed, but Seiyou was not so sure.
Seiyou… was convinced that Wataru was the first Kira and Red was the second. Speaking of which, Red had just woken up again, and they were planning to feed her after she spoke.
“Well, Nakamura-san.” Seiyou said into the microphone, watching the girl in a straightjacket stir and try to move. “Are you ready to talk now?”
“W-Who are you?” Red asked. “Why am I here? Mr. Stalker, please stop this! This is a crime!”
Seiyou blinked. Stalker? That had hardly been what she was expecting. At least Red was speaking though, and if she were angry, perhaps she would let something slip.
“Don't play coy, Nakamura-san.” She said primly. “Now then, how do you know Meiji Wataru-san?”
“W-Wataru-san?” Red asked, surprised. “Well, he's my boyfriend…”
“… She wouldn't say anything about him earlier and now she automatically says he's her boyfriend?” Machisu asked. That was a bit suspicious…
Kyou had to agree.
 
Sakaki strode over to the microphone. “Are you Kira?” He asked directly, ignoring Seiyou's dirty look. He had to know!
“Me? Kira? Of course not.” Red told them. “Why are you asking me this?”
“Let's talk seriously.” Seiyou said. “Before you passed out, I asked you about Meiji Wataru and why you were meeting him. Don't deny it.”
“I'm not going to!” Red cried. “I just met with him because we were dating! Is that so hard to understand? What, are you reporting for some magazine and want the inside scoop?”
“Red…” Seiyou said warningly.
“It's not my fault that some guy jumped off a building because I refused to marry him! You can't blame suicides on me! I'm innocent!”
She began to cry, and Seiyou shook her head. It looked like nothing was going to happen anytime soon…
 
“Well, do you know who Kira is?”
“Of course I wouldn't know! I mean, I think he exists because he killed the burglar who murdered my parents, but that's all.”
“So Meiji Wataru is not Kira?”
“Wataru isn't Kira! What have you done to him?” Red yelled.
“Nothing yet.” Seiyou said sharply, “Though if you do not answer our questions honestly your boyfriend may not survive in one piece.”
She was bluffing, of course, but Red did not need to know that.
 
The girl calmed down instantly; before she gave a resigned sigh. “All right, what do you want to know…?”
After half an hour of interrogation, even with threats, Seiyou had managed to get nothing related to Kira out of Red. She sighed and flicked off the microphone in irritation, and closed her eyes.
What a mess.
 
Two weeks passed.
“Wataru-san, no new criminals have been killed yet.” Seiyou said. “Why won't you admit that you're Kira already?”
“Because it's not true.” Wataru said, lying through her teeth. Daigo looked like a tangled bundle of limbs, his apple withdrawal was really getting to him, but she was starting to find the passage of time unsure, and she was sure that she had already begun to hallucinate. What were those pink dancing creatures…?
Machisu looked at Sakaki, who looked agonized as he skimmed the news.
“Are you uncomfortable? We could bring you something to make you more comfortable…”
“No.” Wataru said firmly, ignoring the manacles on her wrists and ankles. “I'm not going to let Red suffer alone. But it's pride, I guess. Eventually, this should get rid of it.”
Daigo's eyes snapped open, and he vanished through the wall. Finally!
Wataru blinked, suddenly wondering why she was chained up in a cell. True, she had suggested that Seiyou constrain her in case her subconscious mind was Kira, but now…
“Seiyou! Let me out of here!”
“… What?” Kyou asked, surprised.
“I can't do that.” Seiyou said. “Until we have proven you are not Kira, you're staying in that cell, and since no new criminals have died, the only conclusion I can draw is that you must be Kira.”
“But how could I be Kira and not know it?” Wataru cried. “Look, zoom in to my eyes or whatever you want. Do I look like I'm lying?”
Seiyou shrugged and did as such, only to nearly reel back in shock. All she saw was an overwhelming despair, instead of the mirrored shields she had expected. How strange….
“See?”
“I'm sorry, but I promised.” Seiyou said, and cut communications.
“Maybe the confinement has gotten to his head…” Machisu suggested to Sakaki, who looked torn.
His child…
But Wataru couldn't be Kira, could she?
 
The next day, the newspaper suddenly broadcast a wave of criminal killings. However, Seiyou refused to tell Wataru of this news, keeping her in the dark until fifty days later…
“Wataru-san, you must be Kira. The killings stopped as soon as you were confined and have not resumed.”
Wataru glared hate-filled eyes in Seiyou's general direction. “I'm not Kira.” She hissed. “You are. You have to be Kira.”
“Throwing insults won't help anyone…”
“Let me see Red.”
“I can't do that. She's also a suspect.”
“I hate you.” The student murmured, closing her eyes again.
 
Sakaki turned to Seiyou. Rage was written across his features. “The killings have continued after Wataru and Red were jailed, so they are obviously not Kira. The only person who still believes it is you. Why won't you get over your inferiority complex and admit that you were wrong!”
“I can't do that.” Seiyou said simply.
Sakaki growled and stalked outside. Prissy little bitch…
 
“Say, why isn't the real Kira doing this?” Daisuke asked, penciling in names as Mikuri watched.
He's on a vacation of sorts. The Shinigami said shortly.
“Oh well, it doesn't matter. With this, I can eliminate all those weak, petty businessman in our economy…” Daisuke smiled as he continued to write.
Mikuri looked disgusted. * Humans are such ugly creatures… *
 
“Father?” Wataru asked, as she was led outside and the manacles were released. “What's going on?”
“Wataru-san!” Red cried excitedly, hugging her. “I missed you so much!”
“Are we finally being cleared and released?”
“No.” Sakaki said, and his voice was silent. “You two are being taken to your execution.”
“E-Execution?” Wataru gasped.
“No! You can't kill Wataru-san!” Red cried, clinging onto her tightly. “She's not Kira! She isn't!”
“S has concluded that you two are Kira and the second Kira.” Sakaki continued on. “She promised that once you two were killed, the killings would stop. The governments of the world have already agreed to execute Kira in secret.”
“But that's impossible! There's no evidence!” Wataru exploded. “Why is S doing this? Is it for her precious reputation?”
“That is unimportant.” Sakaki said, stopping the car. “We're here.”
 
It was an abandoned plot of land underneath a bridge.
“You're letting us escape?” Red asked hopefully. Surely this place was not the planned execution site…
“No.” Sakaki said, drawing his pistol. “You may try to run, but it ends now. I'll kill Kira with my own hands.”
“W-What?” Wataru asked, as Sakaki pointed the gun at her.
“Don't worry.” Sakaki said. “After I kill you, I'll kill myself…”
“No! You're crazy! That won't solve anything!” Red yelled. “You're no better than Kira!”
“Kira is a serial killer, but I am justice!” Sakaki shouted, before he fired.
Red screamed.
 
Wataru blinked her eyes open a minute later, wondering why there was no pain. As her vision focused, she saw Sakaki leaning against the dashboard, looking relieved.
“A-A blank?”
“Thank God…” Sakaki murmured. “You see, S? I did it and I'm still alive.”
“S…” Wataru echoed, as Red hugged her tightly, needing reassurance.
“Brilliant acting, Meiji-san.” Seiyou said over the car radio. “If Red really was the second Kira, who could kill with only a person's face, I assume she would have killed you before you shot Wataru-san. And if Wataru-san was Kira, I think he would kill his own father if pushed to this limit.”
“S-So we're free?” Red asked in a small voice.
Sakaki nodded, and Red grinned brightly as she hugged Wataru tightly. “Yay!”
“But I'm afraid that you two will still stay under police supervision, because it's too dangerous…”
Wataru sighed. “It can't be worse than prison. All right.”
And that was that.
 
End Fic
Completed 1/15/07
Red: What? That's it?
Phantomness: The fic isn't done yet, and I'm going to majorly skew canon…. Since I want Lance to keep her pretty Shinigami wings. They're retractable anyways… and it ties into a plot point so I can do Originshipping too! ^^
Lance: *Sighs*