Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ 50_Themes ❯ Theme #42: Walk Out ( Chapter 42 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Title: Walking Out
Author: Shadow/Phantomness
Pairing: Championshipping (Lance x Ash/Red)
Fandom: Pokémon
Theme: #42, Walk Out

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Pokemon belongs to Nintendo and Shogakukan Comics. This non-profit, non-copyright infringing fanfiction belongs to me under international copyright laws and taking it is plagiarism. Thank you. *Phantomness bows*
Notes: <> for telepathy, ** for thoughts, italics if a pokemon talks
Warnings: Friendship
 
Lance slammed his hands onto the hardwood table. “You're not listening at all!” He snarled. “I refuse to partake in this discussion any longer.” With that, he stormed out of the room in a swirl of dark cape, leaving behind a feeling of guilt and an ominous silence.
Red sighed. “Excuse me.” He said, and gathered up his notes, running out after the Dragon Master.
The rest of the Elite Four shot glances at each other. Lorelei set down her glass of water. “We might as well take off. After all, it's not like anything else of import will be discussed her today.”
Agatha nodded. “Meeting adjourned.”
Bruno did not say a word as they left.
 
“Those five are so irritating.” President Goodman spoke. “I don't see why they have to be here! They're just figureheads after all! Why should they have any say in National Policy?”
“Because it's good for publicity, sir.” One of his aides spoke hesitantly.
“If I wanted your opinion, I'd ask for it! We're not getting anywhere if they keep walking out!”
“We might as well vote without them then.”
 
“Was that wise, Lance?” Lorelei asked her cousin. The Dragon Master shrugged.
“I could not stand them. You know how it is Lorelei. Losing my temper in front of the Kanto Governing Council would have done no good.”
“But…”
“Look.” Red cut in. “We might as well accept that we can't do anything. That bastard is right. We're nothing but puppets!”
“If we're puppets only, then can't we cut our strings?” Agatha asked.
Red darted a quick look at her. “You're not saying…!”
“I am saying! If they think they can play with our lives, we might as well leave before anything else happens.”
“… I'm not sure I agree.” Bruno sighed.
“Nor do I, but do you have a better idea?” Lance spoke. All eyes snapped to him, even Red's, for though Red was Champion, the Dragon Master and the Leader of the Elite Four commanded more authority.
 
“They'll just force us to resign.”
“We have been sitting on the top for too long. I for one would not mind retiring.” Lance said, a bit dreamily.
Red hesitated. “I…” He'd only been Champion for six months, but if the Elite Four left, who would replace them?
He shuddered.
He could imagine strangers in the Plateau. He nodded.
“Then if we're leaving, we'll all leave.”
Lance's eyes snapped to his, and he saw admiration in those golden eyes.
Even if their opulent dream world crashed, they would be all right, because they had each other, and when the fame and glory faded, they would still have that.
The next morning, President Goodman received a perfectly polite, but decidedly cutting letter, and the doors of Indigo Plateau were flung wide open. The Elite and Champion were gone.
Frantic search teams were called out, psychics were summoned, and posters put up, but no matter where they looked, they never found the Elite Four again.
 
End Fic
Completed 8/31/06
Yeah, more friendship than romance, but overall, a Gen fic. Wow. I don't write many of those, do I?