Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ A Lone Guardian ❯ Welcome to the Family ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: Here's Chapter 2, I hope it fits people's standards.
Disclaimer: I don't own Pokemon, it would be cool if I did, but I don't, so there.
Welcome to the Family
-- --
`Thoughts' “Human Speech” (Pokespeech) (Telepathy)
-- --
A small group of three could be seen walking through Sandgem Town. Zeke was leading while Julia and Scarlett were following behind him talking about whatever came to their minds. To avoid any suspicion though Zeke had reminded Julia to use her telepathy to speak to them, since it would be really weird for anyone else to see an 18 year old girl making odd chirps and cooing noises. Getting bored with the town's scenery he decided to eavesdrop on what the two were talking about.
(… that's just who Zeke is, it may seem a little weird at first, it was for me too. He just has this ability to understand things like that,) Scarlett finished, apparently answering a question from Julia.
(You mean to tell me that what happened back there wasn't just a onetime thing?) Julia asked, sounding almost disbelieving.
(Ya, it wasn't, like I said before, Zeke will always be there for you if your part of this family. If your scared, in trouble, or maybe even just lonely and want some company, you can always go see him,) Scarlett responded.
Zeke had to hold back a smirk at the pride in Scarlett's voice, but he couldn't help to feel a bit flattered that she held him on such a high note of respect. Switching his attention to where he was, he realized that they had been walking past the market for the last couple of minutes.
`Uh, guess we traveled a little too far. I have got to stop doing that,' he thought as he looked for a sign as to where he was. Zeke often found himself in this position, going off into his little world, he would soon find himself lost and have to find his way again.
Scarlett and Julia continued to follow Zeke, still oblivious to the fact that they got themselves lost. Eventually though, Zeke finally found a familiar shop, Mike's hardware. It was the place he got stuff whenever he needed something added to his home. He was lucky though, the Pokemart was just down the street from here.
The Sandgem Pokemart had just about anything that a trainer could need travel wise. They sold just about anything from Pokeballs, to the often helpful Pokedoll. Of course Zeke only came to buy a week's worth of Pokemon food and medical supplies, but it was still nice other options were available.
The single-story building itself had a blue and white theme to it. No matter where you looked inside or outside, you could always find the two colors together. As Zeke entered through the automatic doors, he took a look at the multiple rows of items, eventually settling at an aisle with a sign over it that read `Medical Supplies.'
While he didn't always need them, he still liked to have a fresh stock of medicines on hand at home. Not to mention he had to restock anyway after applying some of his supply on the Lati girl behind him the night before.
He turned to the two behind him, “well, let's go girls, we need to get a few things and then we'll be heading off,” after which he grabbed a shopping basket from the pile to his left, and headed in the direction of the medicines. Julia and Scarlett just looked at each other, both doing their best imitations of a shrug and followed after him.
-- --
As Zeke exited the Pokemart, his two Pokemon still following his lead, he looked down at the bag of items in his hands. In his right were a couple of potions, two antidotes and a parlyz heal for those troublesome grass types, and a full heal for any other situations he could get in. While in his left hand he held a bag full of a couple of containers of basic Pokemon food. Well, at least now his shopping was done.
“Alright girls, I'm done with my errands, anything else you guys want to do before we head home?”
(Well, I've never been here, so I wouldn't know anything about this town,) Julia answered, (Scarlett, do you have any ideas?)
(Yep,) Scarlett answered.
Zeke waited for her idea, but soon realized she wasn't saying anything, so he turned around and looked down at her asking, “Well, what is it?”
Scarlett looked confused before a sheepish grin flashed across her face, (oh yeah, sorry. Anyways I was going to say that we should get some ice cream!)
Zeke just smacked his forehead, “Oh sorry I forgot about that, what with the excitement going on since last night and all.”
Scarlett just responded with a smile, (its fine Zeke, none of us are perfect.)
Julia just stood there, completely puzzled by what the two were talking about, (Uh Zeke, what are you two talking about?)
“Well Julia, every time Scarlett and I stop here we always go to this little ice cream shop on the corner and share a cone. It's kind of like a tradition for us,” Zeke explained.
The brunette behind him just responded by nodding here head up and down in understanding.
-- --
“Two chocolates please,” Zeke asked the lady behind the counter, handing her the amount due.
The lady rung up his purchase on the cash register and went into the back of the shop. A minute later, she came out again, only this time she was carrying two single-scoop chocolate ice cream cones. “Here you go honey,” she said as she handed him the frozen treats.
“Thanks,” he replied, heading over to the table his two lady friends had chosen out. “Well Julia, this is ice cream, here ya go, try it.”
Julia obediently listened to Zeke and took the cone with both her hands. Still a bit cautious around Zeke though, she stuck her tongue out slowly and took a slow lick. A minute later Zeke could almost swear he heard her squeal as she attacked the rest of the cone.
“Careful Julia,” he warned as he heard her cry in discomfort, too late, “or you might get a brain freeze.”
Once he was sure she was fine, he added, “be careful Julia, it tastes good,” Zeke demonstrated by taking another lick of his own cone that he was sharing with Scarlett, “but you have to enjoy it, not devour it.”
Julia remained silent but listened to Zeke's advice and finished the rest of her ice cream without any problems.
-- --
“Alright, are we ready to go home?” Zeke asked as they headed down the street away from the ice cream shop.
(Yep, I've got nothing else planned, so I'm ready to go,) Scarlett stated.
Zeke looked over at Julia, expecting to receive an answer too, but when all he was met with was silence, he started to worry. `She's been quite for a while, I wonder what she's thinking about. Guess I'll have to ask about it when we get back.'
-- --
The rest of the trip through town and even through Verity forest was uneventful, and before he knew it, Zeke was once again standing in front of the small cabin that he, and the two Pokemon, called home.
Once inside, Zeke went over to the first aid kit he had next to the fireplace to restock it with the new items he bought that day. In the corner of his eye he saw Scarlett jump up on his bed and curl up, ready to take a nap. When he finished he expected to see Julia, back as a Pokemon, floating awkwardly somewhere in the room. He turned around but he was surprised to see no one else in the room besides him and a resting Scarlett. `Hm, guess she must be in the kitchen,” he assumed.
When Zeke did enter the kitchen, with the bag of Pokemon food still in his hand, he did notice the Latias sitting at one of the chair tables. That was the thing though, she was sitting, `why hasn't she changed back? Does she like being a human or something?' he asked no one, looking over his shoulder while putting the food in one of the cupboards.
When he finished the task at hand he walked over to the Lati girl, planning on talking to her. Zeke's first priority though was to make sure that she was okay, so he just opted to comfort her. He pulled out a chair and sat next to her, “so, what's up?”
Julia just responded with a sad sigh, (Nothing.) Well at least she wasn't using telepathy anymore.
Zeke gave her a look of disbelief, “you really expect me to believe that. Julia, I'm not an idiot, and you're not fooling anybody with that attitude.”
Julia just answered with silence and another sad sigh.
Now Zeke was just getting annoyed, “Julia, what's wrong!? Didn't you learn anything today? Holding in your feelings doesn't do anything. Did I do something to upset you today?”
When he asked the question Julia just gave him a sad smile, (Zeke today was the best day I've had in a really long time. It's just…,) She paused, her attention back on the floor, (when we were in that ice cream shop today, I remembered my real family. I guess I'm just sad I'll never get to spend a day like this with them.)
Well, now Zeke felt like a jerk for yelling at her, “um, sorry for that Julia. I guess I keep forgetting that you lost your family. I do the same thing with Scarlett even today, I'm just glad it doesn't haunt her too much anymore, but there's something she always tells me when I start worrying about her. She can't keep crying about it, she knows her parents wouldn't want that, they'd want her to be happy and to live her life. She's just glad I'm here to help her do that everyday.”
Julia was still looking at the ground, but Zeke was sure he saw her smiling, (you know Zeke, that sister of yours is really something. Thanks for trying to make me feel better.)
“Your welcome and you're right, she is,” Zeke just flashed a smile, and then he laid his hand on her far shoulder, pulling her in, giving her a bit of a sideways hug.
Julia accepted the invitation and responded by resting her head on Zeke's shoulder, (Can you promise me something,) when she knew she had Zeke's attention she continued, (please, promise me that you won't leave me, I don't think I can handle losing anyone else Zeke. This is the first time I've felt safe in years Zeke, I'm tired of running, and whether you stay here or travel around the world Zeke, you're stuck with me.)
As Zeke laid his on head against hers, “you know Julia, somehow I think I could deal with that. Welcome to the family.”
Julia just nuzzled into Zeke's side, still as a human, and just enjoyed the moment silently, because words weren't needed. And unknown to Zeke, the Latias was falling for him, and hard.
-- --
Julia slowly opened her eyes as she regained consciousness, `hm, I must have fallen asleep?' She nearly jumped though when she felt somebody's arm draped over her shoulder, only to relax when she realized who it was.
Zeke was still in the same position as before, his head laid against hers with an arm wrapped around her left side. Her cheeks heated up as she realized what this might've looked to someone else. But all the same she found herself nuzzling into Zeke's neck even more, relaxed by his calm breathing as he slept. `Zeke, if only you understood how I'm starting to feel about you?'
-- --
Julia exited the kitchen, glad to see a shiny Quilava beginning to wake up. Getting away from Zeke was both difficult and undesired, especially since he was partially wrapped around her. But she had to speak with someone else about this, and since Zeke definitely wasn't an option this time, she needed to talk to Scarlett.
Once she was sure that the Quilava was awake and alert she made sure to get her attention. (Scarlett, can I ask you something?)
Scarlett, a bit surprised at seeing the Latias right after waking up still responded, (uh, sure Julia, but if you don't mind me asking, why are you still a human?)
Julia looked down at herself and realized that she had never changed back since that morning, (oops, let me fix that.) In a flash of blue light, the Latias, back as a Pokemon, floated in front of Scarlett. (Better?)
(Yep, anyways what was it you wanted to ask me?) Scarlett asked, getting back on track.
Julia started rubbing her two claws together, nervous about how the shiny Pokemon would react. (Well, if you thought you loved somebody, how would you tell them?)
Scarlett, completely caught off guard by the question, said the first thing that came to her mind, (why would you want to know that!?)
Julia, even more nervous than before, (well it's just that Zeke's a great guy and all, and I'm not even sure if it's friendship or love I feel towards him, this past day has been one of the most confusing in my life. Besides, is it even possible to fall in love with someone in one day?)
Well that stopped Scarlett on the spot. Now Julia was confused, (um, Scarlett, are you okay? Scarlett?)
After a few more minutes of pestering the Pokemon, the Quilava finally spoke, (so then you think you might be in love with Zeke?)
Julia, now sure that the fire type was fine answered, (I don't know, I think I might, but I've never felt love for anyone else, so… yeah.)
Scarlett decided that since the Latias was willing to reveal something personal, it was her turn, (well Julia, you aren't the only one who's fallen for Zeke.)
The Latias, now the one caught off guard, took a moment before responding, (so then I guess that makes us rivals or something huh?)
Scarlett couldn't help but let a smile show, (you really are new to this whole love thing, aren't you?)
Julia just stopped levitating, falling on the bed right next to Scarlett, (well, when you've been running for over eight years, you usually have all the time you want for a relationship.)
Scarlett grinned at the Latias' sarcasm, (touché, but about your question before. We just met today Julia, so I can't say I can trust you completely. All I guess I can really say is that in the end it's really Zeke's choice to make, not ours. We may both love him, but that doesn't mean he has to love either of us the same way. So no Julia, I don't think of us as rivals, Zeke will choose what he thinks best for himself. The truth is I'm also scared what Zeke would think if he found out I loved him as more than just a sister.)
Julia just sighed, (Scarlett, I guess your right, but why do you have this all figured out already?)
Scarlett looked a bit uncomfortable, but answered none the less, (I guess it's because I've been in love with him for more than a year. I've had a lot of time to think things through, and I decided a long time ago that if Zeke doesn't choose me to be his mate one day, well then I'll be fine with that as long as he's happy. It's the least he deserves.)
When she finished she could see that the Latias held at least a tiny bit more respect for her after that, (wow Scarlett, you really have thought this through. I never really thought about what I'd do if Zeke didn't return my feelings. But you're right; happiness is the least he deserves. Thanks for the advice though, guess I'll just have to wait and see how things play out.)
(Don't mention it Julia. You might one day be my adopted older sister, and I want us to be on good terms if that ever happens.) When Scarlett finished though, she was confused to see the Latias flustered, and she even saw a hint of a blush on her cheeks. (Uh, Julia, what's wrong?)
Julia, once again nervous, composed herself and then answered, (well actually Scarlett, Zeke kind of already welcomed me to the family.) She looked at the Quilava, expecting to see some sort of shocked or frustrated expression, but was surprised to see that Quilava had a happy grin on her face.
Julia was really starting to feel awkward when Scarlett started giving her a Quilava's best impression of a hug, (really!? That's great Julia! This means that we really are like sisters.)
Julia, puzzled as to the fire type's attitude, asked, (Scarlett, why does that make you so happy? Aren't you even a little angry that Zeke didn't ask you first?)
Scarlett giggled, (are you kidding, Julia? Zeke is awesome, but he's not perfect, he might be able to help me with my everyday problems, but he definitely can't help me with when it comes to my love life, and especially considering the fact that it's directed towards him. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that it will be nice to have sort of an older sister who can relate to me.)
Julia smiled, (thanks Scarlett, although I have to admit, after being alone for so long, it's going to be difficult getting used to having a family again.) When she said that though, she noticed a bit of the Quilava's happy demeanor disappear.
(Yeah, I know what you mean,) Scarlett admitted, (after my parent's died, it took me a while to get used to Zeke. Zeke already explained that to you though, didn't he? But Julia, if you don't mind me asking, you never told either of us I think, what did happen to your parents?)
Julia, with a sad expression, explained, (well, like I said, it happened about eight years ago, back when I was ten…)
-- Flashback -
(Ha-ha, see if you can catch me now, Mace,) a younger Julia yelled to an annoyed sapphire dragon type behind her.
The blue Latios narrowed his ruby colored eyes in concentration as he sped after his sister. Due to their maturity, he'd just gone through a growth spurt, and was suffering the consequences of having to control his now larger body.
(You just wait Julia, when I catch you I'll-,) he threatened, but was cut off by the Latias.
(You'll do what, it's not like mom or dad would let you do anything, Mace,) Julia teased.
The Latios just responded by pushing himself forward, determined to meet up with his sister so he could rub it in her face.
Unfortunately he used all of his concentration on his speed and none on control, so he failed to see the tree he was heading for until it was too late. He only had time to slow down slightly before he flew smack dab into the middle of it. `Ouch…,' obviously being the only thing on his mind at that time.
When Julia heard the crash she stopped immediately. Already taking a guess at what happened, she turned around and headed in the direction she heard the crash come from. When she found her brother, he was laying at the bottom of a tree in the middle of a clearing, holding his head in apparent pain.
(Mace, did you crash into the tree?) she scolded, already knowing the answer.
(Julia, please, not now. I don't need this, my head really hurts,) Mace complained.
Julia smirked, (well it serves you right for threatening me.)
Sadly, the two Lati twins were too engaged to notice the approaching footsteps, until it was too late that is.
(Anyway it wasn't my fault th-,) Mace began before suddenly pausing.
(That wha-?) Julia questioned before Mace silenced her.
(Julia,) he whispered, straining his ears, (listen, what is that?)
Julia, curious as to what Mace was hearing, quieted down and listened too. Then she heard it, something was walking toward them, but it didn't sound like a Pokemon. (Get down!) Mace told her as he grabbed her arm and pulled her down to lie down on the ground. Of course, she didn't have to wait long to see what it was.
Three things walked out of the bushes in front of her, all of them seemed to be carrying metal sticks. (Humans?) she heard Mace whisper beside her, but what really scared her was the fear she heard in his voice. Mace was rarely ever scared, and when he was, it was usually only when he knew they were in big trouble.
Then she remembered, her parents had told her about humans once, they told her to always stay away from them. If humans saw her, they'd kidnap or kill her without asking any questions, after which the older Lati pair gave her and Mace a brief description of what they looked like, and that was all she ever heard of the subject.
Well now she understood why Mace seemed to be scared of these guys. If her parents were right, which they always were, these humans would either try to take her and Mace away from their parents or they'd kill her with one of those metal sticks, although she wasn't sure how.
The humans seemed to be looking around in the clearing for a bit until one of them spoke, “Walter, are you sure that sound came from over here?”
Another one answered him, “look Nick, I know what I heard, and I know that sound came from over here.”
The first one, apparently named Nick, responded, “hey whatever, I'm just saying that I don't see anything.”
Then a third voice sounded, (Walter, if you think your hearing is all that great, then go check over by that tree.)
Now Julia was scared, if they checked over here, they'd find her and her brother for sure. When she looked over at her brother though for any last ideas, she saw he had his eyes screwed up in concentration. She wondered why before a second memory hit her.
Her parents had told her that if she or Mace were ever in trouble, to always call on them for help, and they'd be there. Well it wasn't like she had any other options, so she used what telepathic abilities she had to send out a cry of distress.
As she did so though, she noticed the human in the corner of her sights finally discover them. She noticed his face go from surprise to shock to greedy all in about five seconds. “Hey Nick, I didn't hear anything huh? Then how do you explain this?”
Julia stopped her mental distress call and looked up just in time to see a second human looking over at them, “huh, well what do you know, you were right this time, Walter.”
Nick looked over at Walter and they both nodded their heads, heading over to the Latias' location. Right when she was sure the position was hopeless, however, she noticed movement just outside the clearing's edge, at the same time a Pokemon wrapped in the energy of a Giga Impact slammed into the two men, knocking them both across the clearing.
When the energy ceased, Julia looked up at her father, another Latios, hope and thanks clearly seen in her eyes. (Mace, get you and your sister out of here, we'll deal with these two,) he ordered, his eyes staring threateningly at the two hunters.
Mace just nodded his head, grabbing his sister and pulling her back toward the cover of the forest. Meanwhile Julia got a small glance at her mother firing a Dragonbreath near a third human on the other side of the clearing. That was the last thing she noticed though before Mace tugged her behind the cover of vegetation.
Soon he let go of her, and they continued deeper into the trees. When Julia looked over at Mace though, she saw his face pinched up in concentration, some form of debate going on in his mind. Once they reached another clearing she noticed he stopped so she did too.
(Mace, why are you stopping? Dad told us to get out of here,) she asked, confused as to why Mace was disobeying their father's orders.
(Julia, I'm going back, mom and dad might need me. Besides, maybe I can finally show them how strong I am,) Mace answered, pride etched in his voice.
(But Mace, dad told us to-,) Julia tried to continue to argue.
Mace cut her off, (No Julia, I'm going to go check up on mom and dad, I'm sure they're going to need all the help they can get. But I need you to stay here, you can't fight at all.)
Julia, too scared to even recognize the insult her brother used or continue arguing with him, nodded her head, and floated down to lie on the ground.
Mace just turned around and headed back into the direction of where they met the hunters. And Julia just lay there, waiting for her family to come back.
-- End Flashback -
(And that's what I did, I waited. I waited for three days before I had to move on to find something to eat and drink. I haven't seen my family since,) Julia finished, lying on the bed next to Scarlett looking heartbroken.
Scarlett looked sad and dismal too after hearing about the Latias' past, (wow Julia, I'm sorry to hear you had a past like that. I mean sure, mine wasn't the greatest either, but at least I had someone to support me through the experience. You traveled alone for more than eight years, and I can bet it wasn't exactly the highlight of your life either,)
(Yeah, it wasn't very enjoyable,) Julia answered sadly, (but you know what, all that matters now is that I have a family again, right?) She smiled slightly, her attitude changing to a more positive outlook as she remembered the present situation.
Scarlett smiled a bit too, (well let's go check on Zeke, it wouldn't surprise me if he was asleep at the kitchen table.) Julia blushed as she remembered the situation she found herself in earlier that day, following after the other Pokemon all the same.
-- --
As she expected, when Scarlett enter the kitchen, there laid Zeke, his head rolled back in one of the chairs. She heard Julia whisper, (so how do we wake him?)
Scarlett just looked back at the Latias and whispered back with a wicked grin, (just wait and see.)
Scarlett crawled over to one of the chairs, hopped up on to the chair, and then the table, and continued ever so cautiously over to Zeke. When she was right in front of him she concentrated, and suddenly the flames on her back and head ignited while she screamed, (HEY ZEKE, WAKE UP!)
The results were instantaneous; Zeke woke up and fell out of his chair, and landed right on his face. Scarlett burst out laughing while Julia stayed in the background, giggling quietly to herself, not wanting Zeke to feel anymore embarrassed.
Zeke just pushed himself off the floor and did the first thing he could think of. He launched himself forward toward Scarlett, the little Quilava dodging just slightly, her laughing fit over. The next twenty minutes were filled with Zeke chasing Scarlett around the house, meanwhile Julia just floated there, shaking her head, `ah yes, the quirks that come with having an older sibling,' before she too joined in the game.
-- --
(Ok! Ok! I give!) Scarlett cried, currently in a crushing bear hug from Zeke as he sat on the hard wood floor.
“Fine, I'll let you go,” Zeke said, disappointment in his voice because of his sister giving up so quickly. He released his sister from the hug, the Quilava taking off before Zeke decided to change his mind. “Well, Scarlett, one thing's for sure, I'm glad you gained that control over your fire abilities when you evolved.”
Julia just hovered there next to Zeke, confusion etched on her face. (What do you mean by that?) she asked.
Zeke looked over to the spot he knew the Quilava was hiding under his bed, and answered, “well when Scarlett was still a Cyndaquil, her hot spots on her back would ignite whenever she got scared. I got quite a few burns from when she was younger, nothing too serious, but it would hurt like heck for a couple of days.”
Julia could hear Scarlett yell from her hiding place, (serves you right for trying to grab me!)
“Yeah, and it served you right for all those other things you did to me,” Zeke countered.
Scarlett stayed silent, either scared that Zeke would come after her again, or unable to think of a suitable argument.
(So wait a minute, this happens a lot?) Julia asked when Zeke's attention was on the Quilava.
Zeke returned his attention to the Latias, “well I wouldn't say a lot, but whenever Scarlett considers things too boring or sometimes if she just wants to have fun, she'll try just about everything to annoy me.”
(Really, I thought you guys were all about loving each other and being a family?) Although she couldn't see her, Julia was almost certain the Quilava was blushing right now.
“Ah-ha, you kidding me,” Zeke laughed, “no family's perfect, siblings fight and it's perfectly normal. Actually, I'd be scared if a pair of siblings didn't fight.”
Julia smiled, remembering all the times she drove her own brother up the wall, (yeah, I guess your right.)
“Anyway,” Zeke said, discontinuing the current conversation, “anything else you girls would like to do before I start dinner?”
(Nope, I'm good,) Scarlett answered, emerging from her hiding place at the mention of food.
(Yeah, besides, I'd like to see what that Pokemon food tastes like,) Julia input.
“Alright well then, I'll start dinner then,” Zeke concluded, getting up from his spot on the floor, and headed towards the kitchen, the two Pokemon following him.
-- --
“Well here you go you two,” Zeke said as he put down two bowls of Pokemon food on the table.
(Thanks Zeke,) the two said in unison.
Zeke sat down at his own meal, a simple ham and turkey sandwich, nothing all that complex and easy to make.
Zeke was happy when he was sure Julia was undisturbed by the Pokemon food, well at least he knew he could buy it for the both of them. Dinner itself though wasn't all that eventful, filled conversation; it was mostly just Scarlett and Zeke telling Julia of their past experiences together.
When they were finished, Zeke made sure to wash the dishes and put them on a rack to dry. Afterwards, Zeke got a nice fire going in the fireplace. The fire being one of the few light sources since the sun was almost down and the night sky was beginning to emerge. With nothing to do all three of them chose to bask in warm glow of the fire, just enjoying the friendly conversation among them.
“Well girls,” Zeke said, interrupting a conversation the two were sharing, “I better be getting to bed, don't know if professor Rowan's going to call or not tomorrow, and I don't want to be half asleep if he does.”
(Professor Rowan?) Julia said, curious as to whom that was.
“He's the guy I work for,” Zeke answered, “If he has any issues down at his lab with the Pokemon down there, he calls me on the mobile phone in the kitchen. I work down there as a translator for him. I figured I might as well use my Pokespeech abilities for something useful, so I help the professor out with his studies.”
(Ok, got it,) Julia responded with new understanding.
“Anyway, I'll put out the fire and then I'm going to bed, don't stay up too lately girls,” Zeke said as he got up and walked over to his bedside table. He picked up a box of matches and a lamp and soon had a smaller source of light. After that he grabbed a bucket next to the fireplace and went to the kitchen to fill it in the sink. After a moment, running water could be heard before being turned off, after which Zeke exited with a full bucket. He dumped it on the fire, putting it out, and then placed the bucket back in its original position. Heading to the bed he said, “well, goodnight ladies.”
Before getting in the bed though, Zeke started stripping down to his boxers, only to realize his mistake halfway through as he noticed a heavy blush on Julia's cheeks, her face lighted up by the lamp. “Um Julia, if it makes you uncomfortable, I can sleep with my clothes on. Sleeping in my boxers is kind of a habit of mine, guess I keep forgetting you've only been with us for a day, but if it bothers you.”
(Um, uh, it-it's fine Ze-Zeke,) Julia stuttered, embarrassed she let her feelings show like that. Zeke just shrugged and instead of stripping to his boxers, kept his pants on, after which he climbed onto his bed and slide under the covers.
Julia looked down at Scarlett to see the Quilava was giving her a dirty look. (Thanks a lot,) Scarlett whispered sarcastically, (that's one of the highlights of my day.) She just turned her attention over to the human and hopped up on to the bed, curling up and resting on top of Zeke's lap.
Julia, suddenly realizing the predicament she was in, whispered, (uh, Zeke?)
Zeke sat up, making sure not to disturb Scarlett and whispered, “yeah, Julia, what is it?”
Feeling awkward and embarrassed, Julia asked, (um, where do I sleep?)
Zeke just rolled his eyes like the answer was obvious, “well, it's your choice, the bed or the floor. Although personally, I'd choose the bed, it's a lot more comfortable.”
Julia, her embarrassment escalating, just responded (um, ok.) Floating over to the bed, Zeke scooted over under the sheets, leaving plenty of space for Julia on the left side. She just opted to lie down on her stomach, near the end of the bed, far enough that her embarrassment wouldn't raise anymore than it had.
Zeke just rolled his eyes a second time. (Julia, if you sleep like that you're going to roll off the side of the bed, come here,) he said as he grabbed her around her midsection and pulled her against his chest in an embrace with her back to him. (There, is that any better?) he asked. When he didn't receive an answer, he just guessed it was a yes.
Unknown to Zeke though as he fell asleep with the Latias wrapped in his arms was the embarrassment she was going through right now. Julia probably had the biggest blush she ever had spread across her face as she too fell to the temptations of exhaustion. If there was one thing though she was certain of, it was that this was probably the most comfortable she'd ever felt.
-- Dream Sequence -
(A/N: All thoughts in this part belong to Zeke.)
He was standing in that plane again, leaning on one of the walls, only this time it seemed larger and he wasn't alone. Two others were in there with him.
A girl was sitting on one of the benches that lined the wall, apparently polishing the muzzle of a .50 cal sniper rifle. `Wow, that thing is huge.' While her head was exposed, the rest of her body was covered with a mix of dark blue and grey armor. Apparently the armor was supposed to match her hair, because she also sported the same shade of blue in her hair that spread down to the back of her knees. `Who the heck has hair that long, how does she manage to take care of it?'
The other occupant in the room was also leaning against the wall, and also happened to be right next to him. He didn't seem much older than Zeke, since he was only an inch or so taller than him. Unfortunately, he couldn't see much of the guy's other features, due to the fact that he was wearing full black armor with a black helmet and visor.
Zeke was also impressed by the weapons the two were carrying. The girl, while also sporting the rifle, had a katana sheathed at her hip. While the guy had two SMG's strapped to either side of his waist and an oddly shaped sword in a sheath strapped to his back. `Who in the name of Arceus would make a sword like that?'
Feeling a weird surface around himself and an odd weight on his back, Zeke saw his reflection on one of the metal panels in front of him. He too, had armor strapped on, but the colors were a sky blue and black compared to the other two. He also had the two swords from the dream the other night strapped to his back, but this time he also carried around an AK-47 on his back as well.
Once again, his observations were interrupted though by the sound of an intercom. “Alright you three, you're being deployed on hot territory so I hope your ready.”
“We're all set Echo eight, just tell us when your ready to pop the hatch,” he heard the girl across from him answer, her attention temporarily taken away from her weapon.
“Understood Mira, but you know protocol, even if you've done this as many time as you guys have.”
“Yeah, yeah, we know, we're not big fans of protocol either, but whatever,” Mira sighed, going back to polishing her gun.
“Well, we'll be at the drop zone in five minutes. Oh, and you may want to brace yourselves, it looks like a hellhole out there.”
“That's one of the costs of war, Echo,” Mira said back to the pilot.
“Yeah…,” the pilot responded before turning off the intercom.
`Wait a minute! When did I become part of a war, I never joined the military!' Zeke screamed mentally, wondering where the hell he was. A second later Zeke could feel the plane descending and the intercom come back on.
“Alright, we're coming in a little hot, get ready…,” the pilot warned, Zeke feeling the motions of the plane slowing down.
Unfortunately they never hit the ground, suddenly the wall blocking off where the cockpit should have been was ripped off by an explosion, sounds of gunfire and other explosives suddenly roaring in Zeke's ears. Apparently the walls were somehow made to be sound proof, but that didn't cross Zeke's mind as he felt himself and the rest of the plane plummet to the ground. Then unexpectedly, everything went black…
-- End Dream -
As consciousness returned to him, Zeke felt himself bolt upright in a cold sweat, `what the hell was all of that, I was never part of the army, unless…' Zeke then remembered the accident. `Who was I when I lost my memory, was I some sort of military agent or something? And if I was, why can't I remember anything?' Zeke then was more curious about his past than he was at anytime in the past two years. Unfortunately, he didn't have much time to think since his sudden movement hadn't gone unnoticed.
(Uh, Zeke, what's wrong?) Scarlett asked him, upright on his lap, worry clear in her voice.
(Did you have a bad dream?) Julia inquired next to him, rubbing her head against his chest at an attempt to comfort him.
“I really don't know what it was,” Zeke answered, holding his hands to his head in confusion, “all I know is that I have a bunch of questions and no answers, but I think it was something from my past.”
(What do you mean?) Scarlett asked, her head cocked to the side.
“What mean Scarlett,” Zeke answered, “is that I think I just remembered something from my past. I think I was some sort of soldier. It sort of went like this…”
-- One Explanation Later -
(So let me get this straight,) Scarlett said once Zeke finished recounting the dream he had, (you think that you were some kind of soldier, just because of some dream you had.)
“I already told you Scarlett, yes I do. Man, I wish I could just remember. But before you start calling it a figment of my imagination Scarlett, that dream was way too real to be just a dream. I mean I could feel everything, the armor and weapons I was wearing, the heat wave from the explosion, I could feel it all.”
(Zeke,) Julia interrupted, (say that you were right, would it really even matter even if you were a soldier at one point. Besides Zeke, I'm saying that hypothetically, the only reason your even thinking this is because of some dream you had. Other than that, do you really have any other proof?)
Zeke just looked at the Latias and Quilava with an apologetic expression and sighed, “I guess your right, there's no reason to make you two worry like that. I also shouldn't be getting all worked up because of some dream, unless…”
(Zeke, unless what?) Scarlett questioned, wondering what Zeke was about to say.
Zeke didn't answer; he just jumped out of bed and grabbed his shirt off of a nearby chair, quickly followed by his jacket. “No time to talk you two, I need to go check on something. Scarlett, if the phone rings, it's probably Rowan, so send Julia out to find me. Julia, just use your psychic abilities to look for me. Anyway I've got to go, but I'll be back. I'll see you two later,” he explained as he left out the door.
The two Pokemon left in the room just looked at each other and shrugged, before they both lay back down and went back to sleep.
-- --
If there was one thing Zeke was thankful for it was the light coming from the sunrise, at least he hadn't woken up in the middle of the night. He honestly had no idea what he was looking for, but he knew that if he was going to find anything, it would be where his first memories took place. If he could only find that clearing he woke up in with amnesia.
After the whole escapade with Scarlett and her family, Zeke had used the knife he found to mark some of the trees around the area to help find it if he had ever had to again. Sadly, he'd broken the hunting knife while digging into the bark of one of the trees, losing his only known connection to his past.
Now he was looking for one of those marked trees to help him find that clearing where hopefully he'd find some answers. The only problem was that it had been two years; a lot of those markings had probably disappeared by now. But Scarlett always said he was determined when he had his mind made up, well looks like he'd be out here for a while.
Zeke started out in the general location he knew it was; somewhere north of his home was really all he knew. Every few minutes he'd check the trees for a familiar mark, but he kept being met with failure.
He'd been searching for hours before he found what he was looking for. A dull scratch mark, it was light and worn out, but he still could see the large X shape he drew into the side. Well at least he knew he was getting close. He continued to look for the familiar symbol, finding it more and more frequently scratched into the surrounding trees.
Finally, after searching for a matter of hours, he stumbled into the clearing where Scarlett parent's had died. Zeke, not one to pass up the chance, paid his respects to the deceased couple and continued forward, knowing the clearing he had woken up in wasn't much farther away.
After another twenty minutes of searching, he found the clearing where everything began. `Well, better get started now that the easy part is over.' With that thought in mind Zeke began his examination of the small clearing.
He started scanning the ground, and then looked behind the trees that lined the area, he even went as far as to climb to the tree tops and examine anything that might have gotten stuck up there. When his search still remained fruitless he was beginning to lose hope. `Well maybe Scarlett and Julia were right, maybe it was just a dream,' Zeke finally admitted as he lay down on his back in the middle of the clearing.
As he did though, he felt something poking up into his back. When he got up to look at it, all he saw was a small bump in the soil, so he got down and tried to flatten it. But as he touched it, he felt the cold and unmistakable surface of metal. Now intrigued, he started brushing away at it with his hand until he uncovered what appeared to be a metal bar sticking out of the ground.
Grabbing it with both of his hands, he placed all his weight on his legs and pulled. While it was slow, he was doing it, the steel item slowly slid out of the ground until Zeke realized what he was pulling. There, in front of him, was the metal hilt of a sword. Now excited, Zeke began pulling again with full vigor until he managed to pull the entire thing from the soil.
Once he finished with that, he put down the sword, and began searching the ground for anything else by running his hands along it. Like he expected, not too far away, he found another sword. Unlike the first one though, it was just laying on its side, under a thin layer of dirt. He continued his search of the soil, but didn't manage to find anything else.
`Ugh, I feel like such an idiot, I checked every place, but I completely forgot the fact that I was lying in the dirt when I woke up. But wow! I expected to find something from my past, but these two swords. Man, this is awesome!' Zeke decided to examine the two items from his past apparently.
The swords were obviously meant to be dual used, that one he already knew since they looked almost exactly alike. The swords themselves were both covered with rust stains, obviously not having been taken cared of for two years, but Zeke knew he could fix that with some sandpaper and some steel primer.
There was cloth wrapped around both of the handles, apparently to prevent the user from getting blisters from extended use. The blades themselves though were what Zeke was interested in. The blades were about half an inch thick and a quarter-foot wide as well as the three and a half foot length he noticed before. They also seemed to both be single sided.
They also had a bluish tint in the steel near the cutting edge of the blade. Zeke guessed the sword must have been custom made to have that sort of look to it. It also angled at the top, the cutting edge therefore being shorter than the dull edge. The final note Zeke took though was a ribbon tied around the hilt of one of the swords with an odd charm of some sort on it.
`Well, I better tell Scarlett and Julia about this,' Zeke thought as he started running, excited to get home and show the rest of his family his discovery. `Looks like I might be going on that trainer's journey after all these years.'
-- --
Scarlett was getting worried, that much she knew for sure. Zeke had promised to be home soon, but he'd been gone for more than five hours! Even if something had held him up it shouldn't have taken him this long.
(Scarlett,) she heard Julia sigh impatiently, (if you keep walking in circles like that you're going to dig a hole in the floor.)
Scarlett stopped to look down and sure enough, she was already starting to make marks in the wood from the circle she'd been walking in for the past two hours. She sighed in frustration, (I'm sorry Julia, but I'm worried about Zeke. He's never been gone this long without telling me first, he said he'd be back soon so he should have been back by now. What if something happened to him,) she started walking around again, (what if he got poisoned by a grass type,)
(Scarlett,) Julia sighed.
(Or attacked by some other Pokemon,) Scarlett continued.
(Scarlett,) Julia said in a warning tone, trying to get the Quilava to stop.
(Maybe he even got eaten!) Scarlett finished.
(Scarlett!) Julia yelled, tired of the Pokemon's ranting.
(What?) Scarlett asked, her troublesome thoughts ended for the moment.
(Scarlett, pull yourself together, nothing happened to Zeke. I can bet you any minute he'll be coming in that door, perfectly alright,) Julia said, attempting to comfort the Quilava.
As if by some divine right, at that very moment the back door in the kitchen could be heard opening. Julia just looked down at the Quilava in triumph and finished, (Told you so.)
Scarlett just stuck her tongue out at the Latias as she headed into the kitchen. As soon as she did though she stopped in her tracks at what she saw. Julia was doing the same thing behind her.
There stood Zeke, but he was laying two huge blades on the dining table, then sat down and examined them. Scarlett, her momentary shock over, then continued her pace over to Zeke, stopping right in front of him. She let out a small growl, (Zeke, where were you? Do you realize I was worried sick about what might have happened to you?)
Zeke, looking up momentarily from what he was doing, “Sorry Scarlett, but it took me longer than I thought. I'll try to not do something like that in the future.”
Scarlett sighed, unable to stay mad at the human, (its fine Zeke, just don't worry me like that again. But where the heck did you get those two swords.)
“Well,” Zeke answered, “When we were discussing that dream earlier I had an idea. If I was going to find anything connected to my past, and then why not look in the one place I lost it. So I headed for that clearing and tried to see if I could find anything. And here we are, these are the two swords I mentioned in my dream, and that means that it probably wasn't a dream.”
Scarlett looked surprised a second before recollecting herself. (Well that's great and all Zeke but what does that mean to you exactly? What are you going to do about it?)
“Well,” Zeke paused, “I was thinking I might become a trainer. Don't ask me why, I just feel like somehow I might find out who I am if I do. I think there's something I need to do, and traveling might just be my way of discovering who I was. And besides, maybe it'll be fun to get out of here and travel for a few years.”
(Well, alright then,) Scarlett and Julia said together without any hesitation.
“What, Scarlett, Julia, aren't you girls going to protest at all? I mean we're leaving home for possibly years, if we even do return,” Zeke asked, surprised they would agree so quickly.
(Zeke, do you really think we're that stupid? We know you Zeke; I already knew this would come up someday. You were going to become interested in traveling one day, and personally I was ready for this day a week after we met. Besides, I once promised you I'd go where ever you went, and I'm still keeping to that promise,) Scarlett explained.
(Yeah Zeke, what Scarlett said, I've been traveling for years, it's not going to be very different for me. But it makes all the difference in the world that I'll have friends to travel with now. So Zeke, I'm all for it as well, besides I promised you the same thing,) Julia agreed.
“Aww, thanks you guys, you're the best,” Zeke complimented as he grabbed both of his Pokemon in a friendly hug, grateful for their acceptance.
(So are we going to go?) Scarlett asked.
“What? Scarlett, you want to leave now?” Zeke asked, confused by Scarlett's question.
(Um no. I meant when are we going to the market, we can't just get up and leave now can we? You need to buy fresh supplies, some new clothes, and let's not forget your traveling gear,) Scarlett explained.
“Hm, guess your right, come on you two, let's go before I forget. Oh and Julia, don't forget to use your human appearance.”
A light envelopes Julia as Zeke prepares to get ready to go to town. Zeke turns around to see if Julia and Scarlett are ready. That's when he notices that Julia is once again showing herself to him in all her glory. “Julia! Clothes! You need freaking clothes!” Zeke's face now is a bright red much to the enjoyment of Scarlett, who is laughing so hard that she is actually crying at Zeke's discomfort over this.
Zeke headed back to town for the second day in a row. His two Pokemon following behind him, wondering what might happen over their travels.
-- A Second Shopping Trip Later--
The door to the quiet cabin suddenly opened, Zeke entering with his hands full of different assorted bags, Julia soon following him, carrying a few things as well. Unfortunately, Scarlett couldn't really carry anything with her paws so she just stayed behind and made sure they didn't drop anything.
Once in the kitchen they dropped the bags they were carrying and sorted through them. Medicines and other medical supplies were put in one pile. Food items were put in another. Then there were the camping supplies.
Among those were a lightweight tent and a portable gas oven for when they couldn't make a fire. Then there was the sleeping bag for Zeke and anything else he thought they might need. Finally they made a pile of the new clothes Zeke bought.
In total he really only bought three different outfits, a pair of black and blue running shoes, and a swim suit for when they ever wanted to take a nice swim or whenever Zeke had to bath out in the open. Once they had everything put into the different piles, Zeke grabbed his new backpack and proceeded with stuffing the assorted items inside it. He left only one of his new outfits and his new shoes outside, as he intended to wear them the next day.
Once he had everything set to go, Zeke grabbed the final bag of items and the two swords on the table. He headed over to the kitchen sink and proceeded with cleaning the new swords. He scrapped off the rust and dirt, replaced the wrappings around the hilt, and coated the fresh looking blades with a coat of primer to prevent anymore rust problems and to give them a nice shine. Finally, he grabbed two large pieces of cloth and used them to create a sheath for each sword. It was pretty pathetic looking, but it would do until he could find a place he could buy some proper sheaths.
-- After Dusk --
Now Zeke lay in his bed, probably for the last time, and took a look at the two girls asleep in his arms, imagining all the different adventures they'd soon be having. He always wondered what it would be like to be a trainer, well looks like he'd figure out. Tomorrow he'd take a final trip to professor Rowan's, resign as one of his assistants, and then receive his trainer's license and Pokedex. He was lucky, since he'd been one of the professor's assistants for such a long while, he didn't need to go to trainer's school to learn the basics, since he already knew how to take care of Pokemon.
He changed his view to the few items that now surrounded the usually empty room. His, now stuffed, backpack was sitting against the wall, small enough not to cause him any problems, yet large enough to carry all of his supplies, including his sleeping bag and his tent. A pair of clothes lay on one of the chairs easily accessible to him. His old clothing now was spread about the room, probably the last time he'd see the old, ripped clothing. Finally he saw the two swords from his past lying against the wall in their sheaths.
`Huh, and to think all of this was caused by those two swords and those dreams I've been having. I wonder if I'll ever find out who I am. Well, no use in thinking about it, it's not like I'd get any answers. This journey should be something; I can't imagine all the people and Pokemon we're going to meet. Makes me wonder what I'll have on my team when all of this is over. Well I better get to sleep; tomorrow's going to be a big day.'
With that thought in mind, Zeke soon fell into the realm of unconsciousness. His thought all about all the different events that would happen in his future, and all those he'd be lucky enough to meet.
-- --
End of Chapter 2
Pokedex Entry
 
No New Entries
 
*Entrees written from the Platinum Pokedex*
 
Zeak's Team
Scarlett
Age 16
Species: Quilava
Element: Fire
*Shiny*
 
Julia
Age: 18
Species: Latias
Element: Dragon, Psychic
 
Trainer's Info
Name: Zeak Ironfist
Age: 18
Current Location: A path east of Lake Verity
Region: Sinnoh
Badges:
None
 
Author's Note: Well that's the second chapter, if there was anything that really bothered you than please say so in a review.
Well, it has a lot of fluff in it with Julia and Zeke, and the entire time Zeke's completely oblivious to what he's doing to her, and no, he's not gay, he's just really dense. I actually do have a friend like this. While he is aware that there's love outside of the family, he just considers every one of his friends as a brother or sister, and doesn't really think of any other kinds of relationships. It's actually kind of creepy really. And if you wanted to see more fluff between Scarlett and Zeke, or just don't like fluff at all well then I'm sorry.
Oh, and if anyone doesn't believe that wake up trick works, I've tried it with my brother over a dozen times (only instead of lighting a fire, I just stick with screaming really loud). You can also find tricks like that all over YouTube. Besides, I thought it was a good scene to exemplify the sibling relationship that Zeke and Scarlett have that most of us can relate to. And if you have a sibling and haven't ever pulled a prank on them, well then you need to get out and live, people.
Personally, I thought that the flashback was a bit cliché. Especially considering the parents magically appearing at the right moment, how many times have we seen that? But hey, that's just me people, if you liked it, well then good for you. If not, well then you'll be glad to know I didn't spend a lot of time thinking about that. Also, if you thought you saw any similarities between this flashback and the one in the first chapter then I'm sorry.
The poll on fanfiction.net is still up so vote for your favorite Eevee evolution people. I'll probably be putting one in my fic at some point. Vote for your favorites and you might just see it on Zeke's team in a later chapter. But if you don't want to do all of that then just tell me your top TWO, count them two, favorite Eevee evolutions in a review.
Finally, on a totally random note, I was playing my platinum yesterday and I learned something. Has anyone ever noticed that Zangoose can't use the HM Cut? I mean they have those long claws on their paws and yet they can't learn how to cut, I mean something like a freaking Diglett can learn Cut but a Zangoose can't. How does a Diglett even use Cut, it isn't anything but a head sticking out of a ground! I doesn't make any sense, sometimes I really hate game canon.