Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Blossoming of a Rose ❯ 01 : Birth of Hope ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Blossoming of a Rose
Pokémon : Hoenn Contest Ties
Written by Diiamond Traiiner
 
Disclaimer: Diiamond Trainer does not own Pokémon or any of the characters or worlds in this fic. The only thing she owns is the Plot. So, have fun reading!
 
: Fragment No. 01 :
Birth of Hope
 
Beau, Beautifly! Beau, Beautifly!!
 
“Aagh… Just five more minutes, Mom…”
 
Bulba! Bulbasaur!!
 
“Mmm… sleepy, sleepy…”
 
Squirtle, squirt--! TLLLLLE~!
 
“AAAAH!!!!”
 
The 16-year-old Pokémon Coordinator screamed as she suddenly jumped out of her sleeping bag; both herself and the said-bag were soaking wet. She'd blink, turning her head to see her Beautifly and Bulbasaur hiding behind an amused Blaziken and a laughing Squirtle. She pouted at the four Pokémon.
 
“What was that for, Squirtle? What'd I ever do to you, huh?”
 
The tiny turtle Pokémon's laughter came to an immediate halt as it looked down at the ground, feeling ashamed of itself, Squirtle, Squirt…
 
May found that she couldn't keep an angry feeling toward the cute little Squirtle and sighed, smiling brightly as she bent down and petted it fondly on the head.
 
“It's alright… Just don't do it again, okay?”
 
Squirtle! The Pokémon replied with a cheerful nod.
 
“Now, then! Let's see what I can cook up for food!” she exclaimed with determination, getting up and going over to the campfire she'd made last night and looking through her backpack for what she'd need.
 
It'd actually been only a little over a week since she left Ash and the others. Brock had to go back to Pewter City to take care of his family and the Gym, and Ash and Max were probably off together on the road to some Pokémon League.
 
Whereas, here May was, on her way back to Petalburg City to get ready for a big Pokémon Contest that was going to be held there. The only problem was that Petalburg didn't have a Contest Hall, so she was wondering what was going on. Currently, she was camped out on Route 102. It had already been around 12:30 AM when she finally decided to stop and set up camp, so she didn't have enough time to reach her hometown beforehand.
 
It would probably be around an hour or two's walk till she finally reached Petalburg City and was able to rest up at home before getting down to some real training for the contest.
 
As she thought about the contests she'd entered in the past, she smiled and blushed lightly at the fond memories she had of her rival, Drew. Even though whenever they saw each other all he did was tease her, she couldn't help but feel a sense of longing to see him again. She'd do just about anything to see him again…
 
Sighing dreamily, her nose began to twitch as a foreign smell entered her nostrils.
 
Beau! Beautifly, Beau! Her Beautifly said frantically, blowing a strong-yet-soft Gust at the now-burning stew that its Master had been working on.
 
This snapped May back to reality, causing her to panic and let out an alarmed yell as she desperately tried to put out the fire. Blowing on it with her breath or Beautifly's Gusts was not helping in the least! Looking to Squirtle, she pointed to the flaming pot and commanded,
 
“Water Gun!!”
 
Squir-TLLLLE~!! Squirtle exclaimed, letting loose a powerful blast of water from its mouth.
 
The good news was that the fire was easily put out. The bad news, however, was that not only was the cooking fire out as well, but the stew was ruined by the excess water added to it. May sighed; another breakfast down the drain…
 
Dumping it all on the ground, she pulled out a can of Pokémon food and smiled at her Pokémon, “At least you guys get to eat, right?”
 
Her four Pokémon approached her excitedly, hungrily munching on the food she gave to them. She didn't dare bring her Snorlax around with her anymore… It'd probably eat everything up! So, she left it with her father Norman at the Petalburg Gym.
 
As she watched her only companions chow down, she pulled out a Lava Cookie from her bag. Wherever she went, she made sure to have a good amount of Lava Cookies to last her until she reached a town or two. Her short-attention span often caused her to ruin many a breakfast, lunch and dinner.
 
“Oh well…” she began, making her chattering Pokémon go silent and listen to what she was going to say, “With my luck, I probably won't run into Drew any time soon, huh? I know it's kinda weird and all, but… I really do miss him…”
 
She smiled sadly, watching her half-eaten cookie for a moment before looking to her Pokémon. They were all looking at her with sympathetic looks; they already knew about her growing crush on the other Coordinator. May laughed, shaking her head and going back into her cheery mood.
 
“What're we doing just sitting here? C'mon, hurry and finish eating so we can head back home!”
 
All her Pokémon agreed, eating faster than even a Snorlax could ever think possible.
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ -+-
“Hmm… I wonder if May or Max finally got up some strength to send us a letter…” the wife of a certain Petalburg Gym Leader mumbled as she walked out of the house to approach the mailbox.
 
Opening it up, she pulled out a two envelopes: one addressed to herself and her husband and the other addressed to… May? She blinked her bright eyes, opening the one for her and her husband's eyes-only. -It was from Max!
 
Dear Mom and Dad,
It's great to finally be a Pokémon trainer! Ash is teaching me all these awesome strategies and moves for battles, so I'm doing just fine! Brock left a while back to go back to Pewter City, and strangely, May left, too. She said that she wanted to go back home because she heard about a Pokémon Contest being held there. So, keep a look out for her, okay?
I'll call you guys as soon as we get to the next town!
Love, Max
 
She blinked, having finished reading her son's letter. May left… was coming home… A wide smile spread on her face as she began to realize what this meant.
 
“MY BABY'S COMING HOME!!” she exclaimed happily, jumping up and down.
 
Who is this `baby' you're talking about?” a voice asked from behind her.
 
The woman turned around to see her daughter standing there with one hand on her hip and a grin on her face, “Hey, Mom… I'm home.”
 
May's mother ran to her child, throwing her arms around the teen and hugging her tightly. She hadn't seen her in ages!
 
“Oh my gosh! Welcome home, Sweetheart! Welcome home!”
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ -+-
May would listen as her mother went on rambling about how things have been without her and her brother, how her father seemed to be undefeated since Ash left the last time around, and how strange things have been going on in the Petalburg Woods.
 
The strange happenings caught her interest, even though she was now eating something her mother had cooked. Boy, did she miss her mom's home cooking!
 
“Lots of construction workers have been coming in and out of the woods to pick up supplies as if they were going to construct a huge building! You'd think that Rustboro City had run out of supplies over there and they were coming over here to get everything now, but I don't think that's the case.”
 
The Pokémon Coordinator stared at her stack of pancakes for a moment in thought; what could be going on? Wait… could this have something to do with the non-existent Contest Hall that was going to hold the huge Pokémon Contest?
 
“Oh, yeah!” her mom interrupted her thoughts, “This came for you in the mail today.”
 
May took the letter that was handed to her and stared at the seal on the back. A gasp escaped her; it was the Pokémon Contest Seal! Opening it up, she pulled out the paper inside and read what it said:
 
Dear May,
We have been keeping track of your victories and losses in the Pokémon Contests up until now. You have done very well, winning as many ribbons as you could. We would like to cordially invite you to join the Extreme Pokémon Contest to be held just outside of Petalburg City.
I am sure that you are wondering about what could make this particular contest so extreme. This contest will be done in a bit of a different manner than the previous ones you may have entered in the past. Everything will be thoroughly explained on the 15th of March, so please come to Route 104 on that date.
We will look forward to seeing you and your Pokémon shine in the upcoming contest, as well as your partner's.
Sincerely, Mr. Contesta
 
The brown-haired girl stared at the “as well as your partner's” part of the letter. Just what did that mean? She didn't have time to think about it before her mother cried out from behind her.
 
“Oh, Honey! You're going to another contest! And this time, I'll be able to see it live! I'm so proud of you, May!”
 
The teen smiled brightly, putting the letter down and getting up, “Today's the 9th, so that only gives me about six days to get ready! Sorry that we can't sit and catch up any longer, Mom, but I've got to get a routine together!”
 
“Oh, I understand! Just do your very best and you'll be fine.”
 
She nodded, “Thanks, Mom.”
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ -+-
ARRROOOOOW! A Poochyena howled in the distance, probably calling for its family… or a mate.
 
May sighed, sitting at her open window and staring out at the starry night sky. Petalburg City was usually so bright with lights that you couldn't see any of the stars, but tonight must have been different for some reason.
 
She smiled, staring up at the crescent moon shining down on her. Today had been a nice day… She'd gotten home in one piece, was able to eat something that wasn't burnt or cookie-related, and was able to train her Pokémon for a few hours.
 
One thing kept coming into her mind all day, though… Well, not much a thing as it was a person. Yes, her favorite rival Drew had kept drifting into her head over and over again… at the most random moments, too! She knew she had a crush on him, but damn! Why was she continually thinking about him?
 
Maybe it was… more than just a crush? She blushed lightly; was she in love with him? She hadn't even seen him in the longest time! How could she feel this way? It was then that an old saying came to her mind: Being separated can sometimes cause the Heart to grow fonder.
 
She smiled at that thought, but then noticed a shooting star flying across the sky. Her smile grew brighter and more excited as she clasped her hands together and closed her eyes, visualizing the shooting star as she whispered the `magic words.'
 
“Star light, Star bright. I wish I may, I wish I might. Please, grant the wish I wish tonight!”
 
She bit her lip, her eyes closing tighter as she concentrated on visualizing her wish… An image of her object of obsession appeared before her shut eyelids. Her cheeks reddened softly as she relaxed and thought her wish.
 
`I wish that I could see Drew again… If I will see him again soon, please! Please, give me a sign!'
 
May opened her eyes, just in time to see the shooting star disappear from sight. She smiled weakly; ever since she was little, she made wishes like this… but none of them ever came true.
 
Could she have jinxed her chances of seeing him again? Her light blue eyes looked down at the garden beneath her window with a downcast look in them, but she was instantly surprised.
 
A bright red rose was seemingly growing out of the ground; it was but a rose bud, but she knew what it was. She blinked at it; that hadn't been there before… A smile curled itself onto her lips; this was the sign! The answer to her wish!
 
She got up and pulled the window closed, going over to her bed and lying down beneath the covers. She smiled even now, staring up at her dim ceiling.
 
“I'm going to see him again… I know I will!” she whispered before falling fast asleep.
 
 
 
1