Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Carry On, Blissey ❯ A Drunk Chikorita ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
If you are one of those lucky trainers we can heal your whole team free of charge under a minute. We probably deal with thousands of patients a day and many of them are satisfied with their care. On the other hand, there is only so much that technology can do. The healing machine has made care easier for us. Unfortunately, despite popular belief it does not heal every disease.

That's when I, the matron and the nurses help out. Examining the patient's condition, diagnose them, then refer them to the specialist they need.

No day is ever the same. One of my favourite things about this hospital is that it wasn't just pokémon from the chansey line. There were audinos and also some fighting pokémon in the physiotherapy ward. Of course, I'm proud of being part of the chansey line, but I feel like the hospital promotes equality and diversity much better than other places I've worked in before.

I can mend fainted pokémon in a heartbeat, but sobering them up is a different story. One of my patients today included a baby chikorita. Purple patches on his skin indicate signs of poisoning. The leaf on the top of his head flaps uncontrollably. There is also an obvious scent of vodka on the chikorita's breath. I hate these sort of cases. They make me want to double slap their trainers where the sun don't shine. Pure grass type pokemon should not be consuming alcohol of any kind especially with their poison disadvantage.

A swipe on the machine may help this chikorita recover some energy, but the poison would be too severe for the machine to get rid of it. Alcoholic poisoning can be fatal. I hope the Nurse Joy has words with the trainer. If this chikorita doesn't make it, she could be arrested to neglect as well as being banned from pokémon leagues.

"Okay Chikorita," I told him. "As you are still quite young, the full restores may be too strong for your immune system." The chikorita looked at me as in to suggest he had no idea what I was talking about. It is to be expected, but I can't help but use these medical terms. I've been working in this clinic for as long as I can remember. "We will try a combination of aromatherapy and heal bells. These are natural ways to cure common status problems which will leave as little side effects as possible."

"What's a side-effect?" Chikorita asked. He coughed in his words and squinted his eyes.

"Side effects are effects that are not intended," I told him. "Once you leave hospital, I recommend that the next time your trainer gives you alcohol is to say no."

"Nurse Blissey," an audino said passing by. "This chikorita is only a baby, he might forget it."

"If we tell him when he's young it will stick with him for life."

"I am concerned about that this pokémon is a victim of abuse," the audino said. "The tests confirmed there were five units of alcohol."

"I shall forward your concerns to Nurse Joy," I announced. "I will also request the medical history of the trainers other pokémon. Before the audino walked off, I stopped her asking, "do you know how to use a heal bell for aromatherapy?"

"Yes, I do."

"Brilliant," I said. "If you stay here, I'll get someone who can do the aromatherapy." I marched towards a group of chanseys who were looking for something to do. The shiny one in the middle, Lucky was her name. She knows how to perform aromatherapy. She was of the best aromatherapy nurses in the clinic. "Lucky, go in room 24. There's a chikorita with alcoholic poisoning. There's an audino waiting there with the heal bells."

"Right!" Lucky nodded and scurried over to the chikorita. If everything runs smoothly, the chikorita will be discharged tomorrow morning. Time was a matter of life and death.

I was slapped on the back by a pink tail. Curiously I turned around and saw some beedrill zoom a mew into the hospital wing. I opened my mouth in awe. I hadn't seen this pokemon in fifteen years. No doubt that everyone would work extra hard to give this one a speedy recovery as they are an endangered species. After all, we've all made our vows to preserve life, but we should apply that vow to all our patients.

"Nurse Joy! A word please?" I called. Nurse Joy had just walked out of a patient's room with a smile on her face. Someone had just been discharged from the hospital.

"Of course." I followed Nurse Joy into her office. "It seems something is troubling you?" Nurse Joy can read my mind like a nursery book.

"An audino believes the chikorita in room 24 might have been abused. Have you spoken to the trainer about this?"

"I have spoken to Alita about this."

So the trainer's name is Alita. Doesn't ring a bell to me. "What did you say to her?" I asked.

"I praised her for trying to feed her pokémon, but told her not to use alcohol again."

"Is that all?" I asked. Why should this pathetic trainer be praised. I sometimes feel that Nurse Joys are far too lenient on these brats.

"Alita has Asperger's Syndrome," Nurse Joy said to me. "She wants to be a good pokémon trainer, but has to be supervised for reasons as you can see. She loves chikorita, but she doesn't understand that she had poisoned him."

I only wish I knew sooner. I take it back all those insults in my head. Still, Audino did the right thing by sharing her concerns to me. I hope for all the best for Alita and her chikorita. However, Alita's condition should not excuse her from being punished. I knew trainers with the condition that were excellent trainers. One of them is even a gym leader around this region. Why was Alita even near alcohol in the first place?