Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Creating my own Destiny ❯ Chapter 7

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Another chapter.
I really do hate Writer's Block with a passion. *nods*
Disclaimer: I own the bunny, the fic, new characters and pokemon. Nintendo of course owns Pokemon.
Notes: <> for telepathy, ** for thoughts, italics for pokemon talking.
Sheesh, ff.net keeps getting more and more restrictive. The next thing that'll happen, I predict, is that only PG and G rated fics will be left. And I'll be screwed.
 
Chapter 7: Shawls of Sleep
 
After about half an hour, Ash stirred and awoke.
“You okay?” Bugsy asked.
“Hai.” Ash whispered, pulling himself to his feet. “I did it… without having to make sacrifices… thank you Serebii…”
Bugsy could have sworn she saw a star wink at Ash, but it must have been her imagination.
“So it's over now?”
Ash nodded, as he checked himself over. “Yes. It's done.”
“I still don't understand…”
“When we rejoin the others I'll explain.”
Ash summoned his Mewtwo card and they reappeared where the others were.
“Ash! You ok?”
“Yes.” Ash said, as Lance checked him over a second time.
“Good. Can't have you dying on us now, can we?”
 
Bugsy blinked as Ash nodded and leaned against Lance's chest tiredly.
“Shh… go ahead. Full moon is in a few days, I'll be fine.”
Ash nodded as he started to absorb her magic energy. After a few minutes, he pulled away shakily.
“Your body still needs to adjust. But don't worry, the moon and the darkness will not hurt you.” Lance whispered.
A pair of half-closed golden eyes looked at her, as if in pain, before Ash crumpled.
 
“Ash!”
“Otouto!” Charlotte added, as she scooped him up. “What's wrong - WHAT?!” Her eyes flashed sparks as she yanked a pair of scales out of midair. They were the guardian's possession.
“Is he -!” Lance shook her head. “No! Serebii wouldn't!”
“She would!”
“I-I…” Lance checked for breathing, and nearly dropped Ash as she realized that he wasn't.
 
“Scales of Fate! Sacrifice phoenix to bind the thunderbird to the earth!” Charlotte cried. The three plates of the scale rattled in an unseen wind. Three balls of colored light, red, blue, and yellow, danced on them. Blue was the strongest in power. Charlotte's eyes turned white as she got ready to loose her power.
“Seal the dream realm forever!”
“Wait!” Lance said, but as she went up in flames, Ash's eyes opened. The red sphere vanished, and the fading yellow one returned in strength. Blue was unaffected.
Lance closed her eyes and held him tightly. * She didn't have to… we could have found another way… no… perhaps not… Serebii has closed off all the doors… but why would she sacrifice herself? *
Bugsy stared at the tiny white specks of dust swirling in midair. “I can't believe it…”
Claire looked sympathetic.
Falkner and Winona turned away, Falkner keeping a tight grip on his friend in case she passed out.
 
“Sacrifices…. Always…” Sabrina murmured.
“Sabrina! What do you know?”
In some half response, Sabrina's eyes glowed crimson. A golden magic circle formed under her feet, a star in the center flanked by a moon and sun. A second later, a pair of ruby red wings swept up from her back, and her whole demeanor shifted. She seemed older and wiser, maybe?
“As the guardian of the moon, I protect my master. That is the way it is. For fire and ice will die, but as long as thunder is safe, all is well…”
 
“Not that weird prophecy again…” Winona murmured.
“I don't think they're faking this.” Falkner said, with something akin to terror in his voice.
A wind stirred the breeze.
Lance stood up, still holding Ash. “Sleep, little one. This is too much for you to handle. I will put you in the sleep of death myself.”
“No.” Ash shook his head. “I cannot always run from my duty.”
“Truthfully?”
“I accept the fact that she died for my sake. It is enough.” He finished.
“So quickly?” She looked at him sideways. “You were not like this before.”
 
“Lance-chan… I've seen you die in front of me. I've seen her die in front of me. I've even seen my own pokemon `die'. I can't stay blind forever.”
“No, you can't.” Lance agreed. “But I just want you to think about that option.”
“Why? I have to play my part.”
“And I mine.” Lance's eyes narrowed. “And I will not willingly put you in danger, for my sake.”
“And yet you will do the same for me?”
“That is different.”
 
“How?!” Ash demanded. “Why is my life worth so much? I'm just a selfish, impulsive-.”
Lance yanked him more tightly against her as she placed a finger on his lips.
“Not now. If you want to have this discussion later when you're thinking rationally, we can have it. However, now is not the time.”
Ash's eyes suddenly closed and he fell asleep.
Lance nodded, getting up and carrying him. “Sabrina.”
“Yes?” Sabrina asked, raising an eyebrow. “Wasn't that harsh? You know I won't disobey one of the realm guardians unless it's seriously evil. What?”
“True… but it had to be done.” Lance considered the second segment. “And I applaud your sentiments.”
 
“I hope you're right about the situation, Dark Master.” Sabrina replied. “Where are you taking him?”
“Home.”
“Then I'll come with you.”
Without another word, Lance nodded, teleport making them vanish.
 
Claire sighed.
“Claire! You knew!”
Claire rolled her eyes at Bugsy. “I knew some of the story, not the whole thing. Yes, I did know about Lance's powers, and how she was capable of destroying the earth if she chose, and the whole infatuation thing.”
“But then why didn't you stop her?”
“Because. She's my cousin. And more than that, as a guardian of the dragon pokemon under the Dragon Master, I don't go against her orders.”
“Such blind loyalty.” Winona commented.
 
“No, that's where you're wrong.” Claire declared. “I can make my own choices. And I don't want to use the power to destroy. So I watch, and wait, and when the guardians can take care of themselves, then, I work on something else. I'm a watcher, like Sabrina.”
After that, Claire clammed up.
Falkner, Bugsy, and Winona sighed as they got ready and left to their respective gyms. Bugsy was still whirling.
True, she hadn't been crushing on Ash. She only considered him a friend. But still…
What was it all about? And then those fancy light shows, which were more than that. It was so confusing.
Strange…
 
End Chapter
Completed 3/24/04