Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ In Lieu of Perfection ❯ 01 - The Perfect Pokemon ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

First it was Azure the Altaria. Then it was Shockhound the Manectric. One by one, they were replaced with new, unfamiliar faces. Cold, unmoving faces. Faces which Blaze could not put a name to, mainly because they had no name.
 
Within this small, darkened room in the tree house they call the secret base, Komicer, their trainer was reviewing their last battle within the Battle Tower with serious intent, occasionally pausing at certain moments to take note. Stacks of reference materials lay at the side of the table with certain ones of higher relevance meticulously labeled. Blaze stood by Komicer's side like a loyal advisor, wincing with the instinct of a fighting type as a Scizor sent a Hitmontop hurtling off-screen with a vicious slash of its pincer-like claws. He could almost feel the pain the Hitmontop felt across his orange-yellow, feathery chest, the all-accurate aerial ace.
 
The Scizor in the video was leaning casually against the tree house wall, claws crossed on its thorax, images of the video reflecting on its red gleaming steel body. He did not betray any emotions, no happiness, no glee, no relief. He had no purpose in life but for the one he was breed for, to win fights. He was one of those replacements that Blaze calls the 'nameless ones.'
 
The video ended with the lady referee pronouncing Komicer as the victor. Komicer switched off the video and turned towards the computer, reading through his compiled records. Without facing them, he waved a hand to dismiss the two present pokémons. Blaze signed in relief; he had disliked this obligation of being present while Komicer was doing the battle review… and the Scizor also gave him the creeps.
 
It was times like this that Blaze found his old friends getting replaced one by one, like aging footballers left on the bench. He was not sure when would it be his turn. Perhaps there was still a bit of sentimentality in Komicer in keeping his first pokémon around. He wished he could say the same of the rest.
 
As he turned to walk out, he heard Komicer said, “Call Hikari.”
 
Pause.
 
This time, it was Hikari's turn. Blaze tried to push that thought out of his mind. Maybe Komicer had wanted to teach her a new TM; he had bought quite a few of those recently.
 
Blaze opened the door and stepped out into the open. Only a few rays of light can be seen filtering through the thick clouds. It was not totally dark but there was still not much light. The waves off the small island were getting rather choppy. It reminded him of the time Kyogre was running amok, those were not pleasant times for a Blaziken such as him. It could not get any worse.
 
A Pelipper slept soundly at the nearby branch. Blaze only saw him around when they were at the secret base. He was what Komicer had called a HM slave, one who acts as a transporter and helps them get to where they cannot normally go. The Pelipper did not seem to mind his lowly position; he was also a nameless one.
 
Just below the tree, Ms. Kang was tending with her child in the pouch, waving her tail playfully in the air as her child made cute, futile attempts to grasp it. She was a Kangaskhan, a pokémon not native to the Hoenn region. She had come as a trade with a trainer Komicer met online. But given her nature, she soon integrated with the rest. Ms. Kang was the motherly figure for all of them. Beside them slept a miniature hula dancer without a care in the world. The twin flowers on her head trembled lightly in the wind as the Bellossom snored gently. Kireihana was never a fighter, instead preferring to take centre stage during the contests to impress the audience. Despite her timid nature, she was a natural performer.
 
Silent footsteps came from behind as the Scizor emerged from the dark room, its eyes narrowed into menacing slits. It stepped beside Blaze and in its soft, wispy voice asked, Sssay, do you think you can do your flamethrower attack firssst… or I can do an aerial ace firssst…?”
 
Why ask? Of course I can do mine first…“ Blaze replied without hesitation. He turned and looked into the cold eyes of the Scizor. He could see the reflection of his beak-like mouth and pale plume on the Scizor's chrome. “But there is not reason for us to try it out. Right?” His reflection had an annoyed and quizzical look.
 
The Scizor did not reply. He seemed to be deep in thought. Then he leaped from where they stood. Blaze looked as the Scizor landed lightly just before Kireihana without waking her up and sauntered off to meditate on his own.
 
“Who would be faster? Him or me…” Blaze thought. Somehow, the question took an unnecessary importance. Why? He looked up into the sky and saw a fleeting glimpse of a fluttering white figure. That reminded him, he needed to find Hikari. He grimaced at the thought of where he had to go. As usual, she would be at that place.
 
Testing his grip on the branch with his talons, Blaze lifted himself up and started to climb the tree.
 
* * *
 
The tree house in the middle of an island, in the middle of a lake.
 
Their secret base away from the hustle and bustle of the cities.
 
And at the summit of the tree house tree, a lone, frail looking figure sat on one of the thicker branches and gazed into the distance. From afar, she would have looked human, a very beautiful one too.
 
But she is not. The natural-looking, shoulder-length green hair was the first giveaway. A slender green arm brushed back some of the wind-blown hair from obscuring her large red eyes, revealing three extensions from the side of her face. The closest thing on the human anatomy to call those would be ears.
 
Two red plates protrude from her slim body, one at the front and the other at the back. They act almost like satellite dishes, picking up the waves of emotions from all around her. She sat cross-legged; one could see her long, white legs that did not end with toes as her white dress-like covering fluttered gently in the wind.
 
She was Hikari, a Gardevoir by species. She was used to being mistaken as a human and did not mind it. She liked the idea of being one. Unrepentant from the many warnings given by Blaze, she insisted adamantly that the top of the tree house was the place for her.
 
And she thinks she was in love. With who, she was not so sure.
 
Despite the growing wind, Hikari sat unperturbed, with a hand to her chin, looking into the distance with nothing particular as her target. She liked it here, being some distance away from the rest. That meant that she did not need to feel all those different emotions from those around her. Here was where she could concentrate on her own emotions instead of the others. It was like using Calm Mind without actually knowing it.
 
She was sure that the one she loved was Komicer, her master. Now, she was no longer sure.
 
Someone was coming from below. His emotions announced his presence like a siren in the silent night. The Gardevoir looked down to see the orange-feathered Blaziken climbing nimbly up the tree to where she was. Hikari could sense anxiety, annoyance, fear, desire from him. The last emotion, Hikari preferred not to know. She needed to sort out her own emotions first before she could give a reply.
 
Plucking off a twig from a nearby branch, she tossed it lightly towards the approaching figure. It landed on his head. She gave a soft, delighted laugh as Blaze looked up to see where the twig came from. There was a look of surprise on his face. He continued to climb towards her.
 
As Blaze reached where Hikari was, she reached out her small hand to help him up. He probably did not need it but Hikari felt that it was the least she could do to help. The much larger Blaziken helped himself to a space on the thick branch. He looked so uncomfortable. The fine feathers on his body, so fine that they were almost fur, blistered in anticipation of things to come. Hikari could sense his phobia of the surrounding waters coursing through his body, his mind trying to fight back his natural instincts.
 
“I'll never understand why you liked it here; there is nothing but water to see at all…” Blaze shuddered.
 
<What brings you here?> Hikari projected her thoughts to him. As a psychic, she could project her thoughts directly to whoever she wanted to speak to. Unlike other non-psychic pokémons, communication with humans was not a problem to her.
 
Though she was never a very good psychic, as a Ralts, she was constantly bullied by Poochyenas before she came under Komicer's care. She never left him since.
 
<Is it me?> she teased, knowing full well what the results would be.
 
Considering the natural red of Blaze's face, he did a pretty good job going redder. <He's cute in his own way,> Hikari thought to herself. She could still recall the ridiculous, haphazard confession from him. Fighting pokémons just lack that subtle touch to make the girl's heart fly. She ended up laughing instead of replying him.
 
He was still waiting for her answer.
 
Ah…” Blaze stuttered, “Yes… He scratched his head, “Komicer asked for you.”
 
<Master?> Hikari felt her heart sank. It was such a nice day too, how many of these days would be left now?
 
<It's my turn now, isn't it? I wonder when he caught the Alakazam?> she murmured.
 
“No!” Blaze almost shouted, “I'm sure he had other plans! You're the first pokémon he officially caught; he can't just dump you like that!”
 
Hikari looked to Blaze, his arms in midair, as if he wanted to grab her. Part of her felt disappointed that Blaze had controlled himself. The other part glared back, challenging him to do so and risk getting pushed off the tree with a well-aimed psychic.
 
Blaze lowered his arms slowly, meeting the glare straight on. He then turned away and prepared to climb down. “I won't let him,” he said softly, “Let's go. I'll wait outside.”
 
Hikari looked on as Blaze lowered himself from his position. She then made her way delicately down to the entrance of the tree house. She could see the rest of the pokémons now and sense their emotions. The motherly Ms. Kang. Her best friend, the timid yet spotlight-loving Kireihana… The nameless Pelipper and Scizor away from the rest.
 
The recent additions to their motley crew posed an enigma to Hikari. She could barely sense any emotions from them. They belonged to the other end of the emotions spectrum which was equally uncomfortable for her.
 
Blaze stood outside the tree house, arms akimbo and waited. He seemed almost like a guardian.
 
As Hikari pushed the door and entered the darkened room, she could hear a soft “Good luck.” from behind. She would need it.
 
The door closed behind her.
 
The room was completely dark, save for the glow emitting from the LCD monitor screen. Komicer sat before it, his back facing her. What had happened to the old lively room she knew? Or the younger, more caring trainer Komicer used to be? It was hard to believe that they were essentially still the same.
 
<Master, I have come.> Hikari said as she looked around the room for a tall, foxy pokémon with an overgrown moustache.
 
Komicer spun around to face Hikari, reflections on his round glasses obscuring her view of his eyes. She could sense different degrees of glee, confidence, determination in the trainer and a little, a very little tinge of care in him. At least, that little bit still exist somewhere but they were completely overshadowed by the obsession to win.
 
“Hikari! One of my best pokémons!” Komicer proclaimed, “I've got good news for you!”
 
She could sense the anxiety of Blaze outside the room rising. He must be straining his ears, trying to eavesdrop as much as possible. She decided to deliberately included him in her psychic projections.
 
<I'm joining Azure and Shockhound for a rest?> Hikari asked, wringing her hands anxiously at her waist.
 
Komicer paused and cocked his head to a side.
 
“The rumors you all spread,” he dismissed cheerfully with a simple wave of his hand. Too cheerfully.
 
“No. I've got BETTER news for you,” he said, putting much emphasis on `better'.
 
Hikari could only sense a rise in his emotions, but not his thoughts. She started to wish she can read minds. If a Hitmonlee can do it, why can't a psychic pokémon do the same?
 
“You see, I've recently met this trainer from Mossdeep who had a rather good Banette… and he had wanted a Gardevoir…”
 
<You're trading me away?> her thoughts wailed, the volume rising in sadness. That sounded worse than just staying in pseudo-hibernation with Azure and Shockhound.
 
“No, no, no…” Komicer tried to soothe the depressed Gardevoir, “I'm too used to having a Gardevoir by my side. A ghost pokémon will not be useful in the team.”
 
<Then…> Hikari thought, confused with what her master had in mind.
 
“You, according to my observations, are adamant in nature. The perfect Gardevoir should be modest in nature. One who knows Psychic, Calm Mind, Thunderbolt and Will-o-wisp.” He narrated as he flipped through a little notebook.
 
Hikari considered what Komicer said. There was nothing she could do about her own nature. She could easily learn most of the moves he mentioned… She glanced at the rows of TMs and HMs at a corner of the room. Except…
 
<Will-o-wisp is Banette's signature move…> she started to feel the creeping sense of horror that came with the realization of what would happen next.
 
Judging from the very faint smell of smoke coming from outside, Blaze had also understood the meanings behind Komicer's words.
 
“You're a lucky girl, Hikari… I've met the Banette, he's surprisingly lively for a marionette pokémon… Full of spirit, I must say. Ha ha,” Komicer chuckled at his little oxymoron as he stood up and moved towards her.
 
<Master?> Hikari asked with dread.
 
Her master now stood before her, at around the same height. She could now see his excited eyes through his glasses. He simply looked average, but yet he had complete control over her.
 
Komicer gave a big grin of satisfaction.
 
“Hikari, you are getting married!”