Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Iron Royalty ❯ Chapter 4: News and Memory ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Paul was woken about midnight by something disturbing his sleep. He sighed and let his head touch his pillow again. Sleeping in a Pokemon center wasn’t what he’d grown accustomed to and he was a bit uncomfortable.

When he slept again, Paul was taken back to a memory.

---flashback---

“PAUL!”
He jumped a mile and missed a piano key. “R-Reina!”

She came bounding through the back door. She wore her usual summer dress, a green thing with straps that covered her knees. She was one month a Pokemon owner. She held out her hands to show Paul that she’d caught three new Pokemon.

Paul’s face went from confusion to pure delight. He’d never really seen how to capture a Pokemon and he wasn’t really sure how it worked, so, it fascinated him. “What did you catch today?!” he asked, eager.

Reggie came in from a side door that lead to the hallway. He was drying his hair off. He wore a lime-green tank top and green shorts. The two of them stood and watched Reina release them and smile brightly.

A Pachirisu, Evee, and Lotad now stood in the room, all happily greeting the two boys. Reina was proud of herself and she smiled when the two of them were happy.

There was a bang and Reina jumped. Reggie stood stock still, listening. Suddenly, he grabbed Paul. Reina returned her Pokemon and helped Reggie.

The two of them stuffed Paul in the corner and stood there, watching the two doors from the house into the sun room.

And then he came in.

Paul cowered down as far as he could in the corner.

Their father was a tough man and didn’t approve of “dilly-dallying” when daylight was still out. He was often harsh to his children because of that. Today was no different.

He was mad that Paul wasn’t practicing. Reggie was supposed to be writing in the study. Reina was supposed to be outside, learning to ride a Rappidash. He advanced on them in the corner and Reina backed up so her heel touched Paul’s toes.

Paul covered his ears and shut his eyes. But the muffled screams came and came. He felt Reina cover him with her body, shielding him from kick after kick.

When Paul was able to look, he never liked what he saw. This time, he was too scared to ask what had happened. Reggie was sitting against the leg of the piano, holding his left hand to his mouth. His right lay at his side. Reina was coughing. It was plain that they were in pain, but nobody complained.

Reggie took Paul’s left hand and Reina took his right. The two of them lead him up to his room and bid him goodnight. The sun had already gone down.

Paul hadn’t expected the beating to last an hour this time.

Reina smiled. “Tomorrow, when we get up, we’ll get out of here, okay? I’ve gotten my money out of my savings. Dad won’t know until tomorrow, after we’ve gone. But we’ll start over, okay? Just sleep, Paul. Reggie and I will be just fine.”

Reggie nodded and gave a little smile. Now that he wasn’t covered in blood, Reggie’s wounds became obvious. Dried blood was near his nose. A cut lip just to the left of center. A bit of a red mark appearing on his left cheekbone.

Reina’s became obvious too. She was breathing heavily. Also, when she’d held Paul’s hand, he could feel that one finger was dislocated. She had a bruise on the back of her hand that was obvious it’d been stepped on.

Paul started to cry, but Reggie knelt down. “No, it’s okay. We’ll be fine.” He hugged Paul tightly before standing up. Reina imitated that and the two of them bid Paul goodnight, tucking him in and leaving.

When the door closed, Paul heard them called down the stairs again. A few seconds later, more yelling and breaking glass echoed through the huge house. Paul heard thundering footsteps, up the stairs. Suddenly, the door was blown open and--

---end---

He sat up, a dead sweat.

Reaching out, Reggie clicked the light on. That feeling, that dark feeling. He couldn’t forget when their father had finally turned his fist to Paul. He could still hear Reina’s screaming. Reggie leaned forward and put his elbows on his knees.

That smile. Reina had smiled several times a day. But that smile made even their father stop and enjoy life.

Reggie put his hands down and let the tears come.

In the back room of the house, he heard the phone ring.

---Paul---

He sat on the windowsill, watching the moon. His feet dangled out the window and he kept wiping his tears away.

That was a horrible night. He’d watched the beating, without a choice. He’d been hit across the face with the back of his father’s fist.

Paul looked at his own fist. It was the same thing he’d been about to do to Dawn. He clenched a fist and anger flared in him. It wasn’t anger for Dawn or his father or Reina. It was anger that he was becoming the same man he feared and hated.

There was a knock and Paul got up. He was glad he wore his cloths to bed. Opening the door, Paul was met with a Nurse Joy. She looked grim and Paul knew it wasn’t good.

---Riley---

She was rushed into the Emergency Treatment area. Her body was starting to shut down.

Riley was standing in the hallway, unable to follow. He stood to the side and waited for the verdict. As he waited, he noticed a Nurse Joy on the phone with Reggie. Reggie’s eyes widened and he covered his mouth, closing his eyes. Riley assumed that Reggie was Reina’s boyfriend, seeing his reaction and all.

Riley looked away. So, he really didn’t have a chance to win over Reina. Someone had already done that. He pushed back his emotional feeling and waited.

About ten minutes later, he was greeted with the news.