Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Just to Satisfy ❯ Watch Over ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not claim any of the Pokemon characters used in this chapter, because they are all property of Satoshi Tajiri and I haven't stolen the rights from him yet. I bet he has people try that all the time, actually; probably has to have bodyguards and stuff.
 
 
.
 
 
Sitting on the roof of her base underneath the waning moon, Kitty was almost scared out of her skin when a voice whispered into her ear, “Hello.” Jumping with a scream and nearly tumbling off of the hut, her heart tried to burst out of her ribcage as she searched for the person responsible for nearly killing her. Her ears perked up at a familiar cackle ringing through the air before they lied flat against her skull, and she scowled as Gengar materialized a few feet from where she was sitting, mischievous grin stretching his face until she thought it would split in half. Crossing his arms smugly and leaning to one side, he mockingly asked, “Kekeh, did I scare you?”
 
Shutting her eyes and taking a deep breath, Kitty focused on keeping herself under control and not firing a shadow ball at his arrogant face. Don't kill him, don't kill him, don't kill him . . . She repeated the mantra in her head for a few heartbeats before opening her eyes and questioning him warily, “What do you want, Gengar?”
 
He raised an eyebrow at her question as if the answer should've been obvious, and then his grin shrunk to a slightly more natural and logical size. “What, I can't talk to my favorite umbreon?” He seemed to enjoy her suspicious snort even as he explained calmly, “I was just passing by and saw you sitting on your roof.”
 
“Sure.”
 
His grin then fell into a puzzled frown, and he questioned curiously, “Why are you sitting on your roof?” The idea seemed absurd to him, and after a moment of mulling over the idea she realized that it was a strange concept. She smiled at how odd she must have looked, sitting on her roof and staring up at the dark sky. Let him be the confused one for a change!
 
Feeling a bit generous now that she had had her chance to puzzle him, Kitty eagerly provided her reasoning for being where she was. “There's a better view up here,” she explained evenly, making a sweeping motion with her tail in demonstration when he didn't seem to get it. “You can see a great distance.” She had always enjoyed climbing trees and such when she was a human and watching the world go on without her, and this fascination with heights and beautiful views transferred flawlessly over to a world where nature was all around her and she was better equipped for climbing. With strong legs to leap from branch to branch, claws to better grip the bark and a tail to balance her, she could reach the top of a tree in seconds. It was unfortunate that she didn't have enough free time and energy between missions, or she would spend most of it going up trees and mountains.
 
“. . . Right.” Still a little perplexed by her reasoning, he shook his head and muttered, “Never thought of you as a people-watcher. Creepy.”
 
She scoffed. “Says the ghost who enjoys sneaking up on people.” Rolling her eyes at his mischievous grin, she turned her back to him and looked across the plains south of her base. “Besides, there aren't many people out here at night. Other than you.”
 
“And you,” he pointed out cheekily as he took the steps that remained between them and settled down beside her, grinning at her annoyed huff before gesturing towards the land around the eevee-shaped hut. “What's so amazing out there that you have to climb onto your roof to see?”
 
“Don't you see it?” When he shook his head with a puzzled frown, she tipped her head in the general direction of the horizon and teased, “It's right there, stupid. How can you not see it?”
 
He huffed irritably, not liking her confident demeanor when it came at his expense. “Geh, see what?
 
She smiled brightly. “The world.” When he groaned and rolled his eyes, she giggled lightly before returning her gaze to the landscapes surrounding them. Eyes glazing over in memory as her smile grew wistful, she whispered, “Up in the sky, the entire world stretched beneath the clouds like a map. It was breathtaking. Being back on the ground, I can't help but love the planet I fought to save.”
 
 
.
 
 
Theme: Love
 
Lots of dragon-y love (and cookies!),
~DL (“Dragon Lover”)