Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Kenboushou ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Gyah... I feel dead…
Disclaimer: Pokemon belongs to Nintendo and Shogakukan Comics. This non-profit, non-copyright infringing fanfiction belongs to me under international copyright laws and taking it is plagiarism. Thank you. *Phantomness bows*
Notes: <> for telepathy, ** for thoughts, italics if a pokemon talks
Chapter 3
 
After Red had dropped off Vee with Sabrina, much to the Espeon's pride, he flew back to Pallet.
His mind still felt confused. Talking with Sabrina had helped, but only a little. He still felt rather adrift in this strange new world.
It wasn't bloody fair!
Something rang, and he jumped, before realizing that it was his cell phone. He had a cell phone? Picking up, he was surprised to find Karen's face on it.
“Red, you have a meeting with the rest of the Elite in - well actually, the meeting started half an hour ago. Where have you been? Where are you?”
“Er… Saffron?”
“Well hurry up! Lance is furious that you're late!”
Red winced. “I'm coming.”
Jumping on Aeroy's back, he flew towards Indigo Plateau.
 
The Dragon Master glared as he entered. “When one calls a special session, Champion, we expect the one who called it to be on time.”
“Huh?”
Karen stifled a yawn. “So what did you want to talk about?”
Bruno handed Red a sheaf of papers. “Here.”
Red hastily flicked through the notes - he recognized his own handwriting with an odd sense of déjà vu, and coughed.
“Er… yes. My proposal…”
< We're waiting. >
Red shot William a glare. “It involves the expansion of the Safari Zone. I've got the projected costs and figures here…”
He handed copies around the table, sat down, and waited for the rest of the Elite to read through his ideas.
Surely it wasn't that hard to understand. If even him, a fifteen-year old, had no trouble…
 
“… This is preposterous.” Lance cut in. “We would never receive funding for such a project from the Kanto Governing Council. Also, the expansion plans are far from detailed enough.”
“I think you're just worried about the dragon preserve.” Karen teased.
Lance shrugged. “They need to cut land from a different reserve to expand the Safari Zone… so I do not believe that is a good idea.”
< I must agree with our Leader on this. > Will chimed in. < Though the Safari Zone is a worthy commercial enterprise, the habitat destruction caused would render the proposal infeasible unless entrance fees for the Safari Zone were also increased to help cover the cost. >
Bruno grunted. “It's a good proposal.” He defended. “Step in the right direction. Better than selling that land somewhere else…”
Lance's eyes blazed with golden fury. “Say what you will, Bruno. I'll not accept this farce!”
He stood cloak billowing behind him. “The rest of you may argue all night, but my vote is No and it is not going to change.” Without further ado, he stalked out.
Red blinked for a few seconds as Karen and Will exchanged glances.
“Somehow, I do not think this is going to be fun…”
“Politics never are,” Karen sighed, and the debate began.
 
Red was very surprised to find that he was actually really good at this sort of thing. Of course, he had assumed some skill in the arena, as he had been Champion for well… going on seven years now, almost…
Even so, it was difficult. His eloquence notwithstanding, Will and Karen refused to budge.
Odd how they were siding with Lance on this…
That left the table three to two. He needed just one vote, but never had he felt so hopeless before!
Why didn't they understand?
The Safari Zone was a good thing! He had caught many of his pokémon there! And the pokémon were not abused, as the trainers were only allowed to raft down the river and walk in certain areas…
So in other areas, the pokémon were safe! They could be observed in their wild habitat. It was perfect!
 
“Red, we've been at this for four hours.” Coffee and sandwiches had been served, but even Bruno was starting to look wilted.
“This would be simple if you just said yes!” Red said, reaching the end of his patience. “It's only national forest we are subsidizing!”
< So? > Will sent. < What of the pokemon living there? >
“For Lugia's sake, we're not cutting all of it down, just a third!”
< A third could be quite a dire size indeed… especially for endangered pokémon that need large amounts of territory. >
Karen scoffed. “Will, he's not going to buy that. Why don't we break for tonight? If you still want to discuss this tomorrow…”
< I am beginning to wish I had just taken Lance's suggestion and left. > Will sent, privately. < Our Leader has a decent sense of self-preservation. >
< Honestly, I think he just didn't want to listen to Red rant like an egoistical, naïve child. >
< … That could also be the case. >
 
Bruno coughed, pouring himself another cup of cooled coffee. “She's right, Red. I don't think we're going to be able to think straight now.”
“But…!”
“Look. Your proposal can wait a few days, if necessary. It's not like someone's life is on the line here or anything.” Karen stifled a yawn of her own.
Red had to admit that the point was sound. “All right then.” He prepared to leave, when Will grabbed his arm.
< Where are you going? You have a room right here at the Plateau. >
“I do?”
< You've been acting very strange today, Champion. > Will said shrewdly. < How do we know you're not an imposter? >
“What? Why I never!” Red fumed. He shook Will off and stomped down the hall. Past a door bedecked with dragons - obviously Lance's, he saw a room with a plain oaken door. Placing his palm on the keypad next to it, he walked inside.
The walls were done with a wonderful mural of trees, and the ceiling was painted to resemble the night sky. There were a few bookshelves, a desk with a computer, a private bathroom and a large bed, but that seemed to be the extent of his furniture.
He yawned and went to shower. What a day… and tomorrow would probably be worse!
Why were the Elite so… touchy?
End Chapter
Completed 7/17/06
Yes, it's terrible to be amnesiac and in a position of power *Cough*