Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Pencil Lines ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Plotbunny fic! What isn't one?
Title: Pencil Lines
Author: Shadow/Phantomness
Pairing: Championshipping (Lance x Red)
Notes: <> for telepathy, ** for thoughts, italics if a pokemon talks.
Disclaimer: Satoshi Tajiri, Nintendo and Shogakukan Comics all own Pokémon, I unfortunately do not. This is non-profit fanfiction and mine under the international copyright law. Ask me if you want to archive it.
Timeline: Right after book 3 of Pokemon Special/Adventures.
Warnings: AU divergence, het
 
Chapter 1: Background Sketch
 
He was in the hospital with his arm in a sling as a result of that last battle with Green, but Red felt undeniably, irrevocably, great.
The sunlight streamed in through slightly dusty windows.
“I'm the ninth Champion of the League now…”
Pika chirped from where he was jumping up and down on the spare rollout bed.
“It's thanks to all of you guys.” Not just Pika, but also Gyra, Venus, Aeroy, Eevee, and Poli.
Honestly, he didn't know what he could have done without them. These pokemon had stayed with him throughout the entire league, and on his journey.
It was everything and nothing and wonderful to win.
“I'm glad Green's okay too.”
 
Elsewhere…
William growled.
“So close!” He yelled. “If only I hadn't lost! I'll show that little shrimp who the real league champion should be!”
A poke ball that held a trapped Dratini was produced.
“It's more fun this way, though. I'll break him and you'll help me!”
Dratini glared.
 
Nine months later…
 
“Being Champion is highly overrated.” Red muttered.
Challenges and more challenges, sure, he won all of them, but… it was so nerve-wracking. And even his house had been invaded by fangirls.
Ugh…
 
So, now he was hiding in a cave.
It wasn't particularly bad, just… annoying.
“And I thought my camping days were over. Instead, it has gotten even worse… I cannot believe this luck.”
Pika licked his cheek sympathetically.
There was only one bright spot, he thought, as he looked at the Pokemon sharing the cave with him.
The six Pokemon limit had been gotten rid of…and then there was the legendary call.
 
Sometimes, a legendary Pokemon would choose to stay with a Champion. One Champion before had caught Moltres, and lived with it for ten years until his late death. Another, caught Suicune, but only six months had passed before she was assassinated.
Red had Articuno… it stood to reason, though. He had helped save the legendary bird from Team Rocket.
Besides, she was surprisingly good company for a bird.
Brooding again, young master? That does nothing for you.
“It's not really that.” He said, as Articuno nuzzled him. “It's just that I wanted a normal life.”
Unfortunately, you are one born for adventure.
“Yes,” He smiled. “Well, I don't regret it.”
Eevee purred, wagging his tail.
 
The rest of Red's Pokemon ran around the cave.
“I feel lonely though, sometimes. Green went off to train by himself, while Blue went to look for the bird that kidnapped her as a kid.”
Don't worry, Red.
“I will try not to.”
And I'm sure you'll have company soon. Articuno looked quite bemused. After all, isn't there someone at the mouth of the cave?
 
Red paled. “Is it a fangirl?”
No, it's a boy. Poli told him. At least, he thought it was a male Trainer. It was hard to tell since he wasn't too good at smelling. Should we attack?
“Not yet. Let's see who it is first.”
I don't recognize him personally… Aerodactyl said. But I feel that I should.
Articuno shook her head. It doesn't seem dangerous. After all, that is Lugia's Chosen one.
 
A few minutes later, a Trainer with spiky red hair and golden eyes walked in, followed by a miniature Lugia.
< I bring greetings from the Dragon of the Sea to the Princess of Ice and her new Chosen. > He said, bowing to Articuno.
< Now, now, get up. > Articuno said. < After all, you are Lugia's Chosen, Lance. >
Lance nodded. < As you will. >
< What else brings you here? >
< That is a personal matter. >
Articuno raised her eyebrows. < Lugia is meddling in affairs of the heart now? >
< No, it isn't that. > The Dragon Master said, as Lugia looked indignant. < I want to train your Chosen. >
 
< Well! Why didn't you say so? > Articuno looked rather exited. < I am sure he would not mind. >
Lugia coughed. < Yes… I suppose. >
< Is there something you're not telling me, cousin? >
< Well… my Chosen is the Dragon Master, while her cousin is also on her way to become a dragon master. There can only be three who hold the power of dragon, and I do not want William to get it. >
< Dragon is pretty close to ice. > Articuno said flippantly. < I'll ask him. >
 
End Chapter
Completed 3/21/04
Edited 8/17/09
Lance is not a boy. Lance is a girl, but Red doesn't know any better *cough*. After all, he certainly didn't recognize Yellow and the only disguise she had was that hat!