Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Pencil Lines ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Here is another chapter!
Disclaimer: Pokemon belongs to Nintendo and Shogakukan Comics. This non-profit, non-copyright infringing fanfiction belongs to me under international copyright laws and taking it is plagiarism. Thank you. *Phantomness bows*
Notes: <> for telepathy, ** for thoughts, italics if a pokemon talks
 
Chapter 2: Outline
 
“You're going to teach me how to be a Dragon Master?” Red asked excitedly. “Why?”
Lance smiled at the excited child. “It's for Lugia's sake and mine.”
“That's so cool! When can we start?”
Articuno high-fived Lugia while she took the exuberant child outside. “Well, let's check your affinity level first.”
 
From her black cape, she pulled out a delicate flute made out of pale blue ice, and began to play.
He started getting dizzy, and then tired, and finally very sad, but as the tone changed, he felt his energy returning in small doses.
And when the piece finally finished, he was practically glowing with happiness. “That was so pretty!”
“Well, that was all four elements, and Dragon affinity, definitely.” Lance said, pocketing the flute. “Now, are there any talents you already have? They could help speed up the learning process.”
“Hmm…”
 
Red frowned. “Well, sometimes I can tell what my Pokemon are thinking, and I feel when they get hurt a little.”
“So you're emphatic.” Lance mused. “Is there anything else?”
“I don't think so…”
“Well, it's better than nothing.”
 
< Wait. He still has my gift. > Articuno told Lance. < Although he has not actively used it, it is there, dormant, waiting to be unlocked. >
< And what did you grant him? >
< I granted him the power of slight weather control. >
< That will be perfect for a dragon-type. >
< He used it once, unconsciously, when it was very dry here, and made it rain. It was to help his Pokemon find food. >
< I understand. > Lance smiled. < Well, that will come in handy later on. >
Articuno smiled and flew off with Lugia, leaving their two Chosen alone.
 
The next day, Lance's lessons began.
“Your Dragon-types are Aerodactyl, Gyarados, and Dragonair? How did you get them?”
“Hmm… well, Aerodactyl was revived on Cinnabar Island when I fought Moltres… I traded Krabby to Misty for Gyarados, and I caught Dragonair in the Safari Zone.”
“Very interesting,” She stated. “They come from three completely different places. Well then, more variety is always good.”
“Now,” She said, “This may sound stupid, but I want to imagine that you are a dragon. Pick one of them.”
Obediently, Red closed his eyes and focused.
 
Six hours later, he came out of a self-imposed trance. He had imagined flying freely as an Aerodactyl over the land, and the thrill of the hunt as well as the strange sight of a prehistoric world.
Lance nodded. “That's very good…”
Confused, he turned to look at his teacher.
“You went in trance for six hours. Did you battle?”
“No, I just practiced flying and looked around.”
“Still, it is not normal for people to go into trances like that.” Aerodactyl perched himself on Red's shoulders.
 
You did well! I am glad you picked me. Did you have fun?
“Yes.”
“Well, then our first lesson was a success.” Lance smiled. “See, as a Master, you fight alongside your Pokemon. You already know that from the style of battle some Gym Leaders use.”
Red nodded.
“However…this time you have your own powers and must be aware of the entire team's different situations.”
“So I have to go in their minds?”
 
“Not quite,” She coughed. “This exercise was used to increase your empathy range, as well as working on focus.”
“I see…”
“We'll keep it on one Pokemon, but then I'm going to add more.”
“Are we done for today?”
“Yes. For the next week, work on the same thing, and then we'll add two or three pokemon, until you can command an entire team in life or death situations without problems.”
“Okay,” He said obediently.
“The magic comes later, first you need control.”
Ash shot Lance a `V' for victory.
She grinned. “Good luck.”
“YES!”
 
Two long months later, Red had finally mastered the technique to the point where he could be using twelve Pokemon at a time while knowing exactly how to command each one of them simultaneously.
 
< He's progressing nicely, Chosen. >
< Yes, Lugia… > Lance replied. < It is good that he is young. They have more time to learn before the test. >
< You took it at age sixteen. >
She chuckled. < Clair's waiting until she's seventeen. >
< She is not as talented as you are, but… she has potential. >
< Yes… >
Now, how would Red prove himself, when the time came?
 
End Chapter!
Completed 3/21/04
Edited 8/17/09
Changing Ash to Red was a pain, but I couldn't help it! In the Chinese manga, Ash/Red/Satoshi all used the same kanji, so I thought they were the same person! Of course, they are based on the same game character in the old Red/Blue games…