Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Pencil Lines ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Well, here we are! *Waves another chapter* Ah, Genki no Shower… nice background music.
Disclaimer: Pokemon belongs to Nintendo and Shogakukan Comics. This non-profit, non-copyright infringing fanfiction belongs to me under international copyright laws and taking it is plagiarism. Thank you. *Phantomness bows*
Notes: <> for telepathy, ** for thoughts, italics if a pokemon talks
TIME JUMP! About 2 years…
Notes: Red still doesn't know Lance is a girl, so he refers to her as `he' and `him'.
 
Chapter 3: Scratchboard scribbles
 
It was raining.
Personally, Red couldn't care less. The shield of ice around him kept the rain off… at least until a lightning bolt nearly hit him.
“Don't think just shielding helps in all situations!” Lance called, from where she was up in the clouds with both her Dragonair.
He eeped and immediately lowered the temperature, turning the rain to hail so he could absorb the ice energy.
“Not fast enough,” She scolded, before a bolt of searing heat melted his shield completely and knocked him out.
 
Red came to, finding Lance holding him while the pale blue glow of his Viridian Power did its work.
“All healed.” Lance proclaimed.
“Thank you.” He said, with a slight blush as Lance helped him up.
“No problem. Do you want to continue weather manipulation tomorrow and work on summoning?”
“Okay.”
 
She nodded, and flew off, while Red focused his power and began the summoning call. When he opened his eyes again, he saw four Dratini looking at him in some confusion.
What is it you desire, Master of the Dragon-types?
We have heard your call and come to your aid.
“Oh! I was just practicing, but… that forest over there needs Dragon Magic to heal. Could you?”
Of course. Thank you.
 
The four Dratini flew off as Red sighed. * Only four… Lance can call up an entire army! I'll never catch up to him. *
< Yes, but he is older. > Lugia interrupted.
Red jumped.
< Remember, he has been training nothing but dragon pokemon since he was a child. You have a feel for more than dragon-types, so it is more difficult for you. > The Pokemon continued blithely. If his almost-daughter wanted to keep her gender a secret for a while longer, he would help.
< Oh… >
< It is hard, is it not? The lessons? >
< Not really… > Red looked at the ground. * It's something else that is bothering me. *
 
Lugia wisely let him alone after that snippet of advice.
He tried the summoning call once again that night, and managed to get eight Gyarados. The beach location helped.
Still, as long as he was making progress…
Lance always said progress was important. He remembered when Lance was teaching him how to speak Dratini and Aerodactyl a few months ago.
 
It was hard! How to convey a universe of words in only the syllables of `Dra-ti-ni'?
He had lost his temper then, he remembered. It had been so irritating that he had attacked Lance in exasperation.
Or at least he had tried…
He hadn't gotten more than a foot towards the Trainer before Thunderwave paralyzed him.
The other had not even used a Pokemon; the golden lights sparking between his fingers were enough.
 
“Have my lessons in control all gone to waste?” There had been bitter sadness in that voice. Even a hint of self-loathing…
“Perhaps I overestimated you.”
And oh, that had hurt, had hurt worse than being yelled at.
He knew that he was a burden, but Lance never resented him. Perhaps Lance was training him just for Lugia's sake, nothing else.
He really was a spoiled brat!
 
He had cried his eyes out that night, replaying the scene over and over. The Thunderwave had worn off after half an hour, but….
He never wanted to disappoint Lance again… Never.
So now, he threw himself heart and soul into his training, hoping history would not repeat itself.
 
“When did he become so important to me?” Red mused. Truth be told, it wasn't that hard to see.
Green had hooked up with a girl named Yellow, while Blue with Silver, and although he still kept his championship title, fangirls did not count as love. It was simply love with an image.
He didn't like that, having to play a part on stage for the benefit of moneymakers. Still, sponsoring Silph's products gave him free items and a good income. But still, it wasn't any fun.
No fun at all…
To his surprise, Red minded little the harsh training Lance put him through. And it was not as bad as it might have been, just… like a journey.
Yes! It was like being on a Pokemon journey, even though he mainly stayed in one area to avoid crazy fans.
So it kept his mind off unpleasant things.
Besides, Lance wasn't ever mean to him.
Not very cold either, just… kind of distant.
 
Red wondered if he would ever catch up. If Lance was the sun, he would just be the moon, shining reflected glory.
“Everything you can do, I can do better… only it's the other way around.” He sighed. “But he never tries to make me feel inferior. I guess that's good.”
I think that's not it.
“Hmm, what did you say, Dragonair?”
You're afraid of being left behind when he flies off.
“I guess I am, a little.” Red confessed. “And Clair, she's training to become a Dragon master too, and she's his cousin, so he'll probably favor her.”
Dragonair shook her head. Then just ask him.
“I can't, Storm!”
Look, if your fear of him leaving overweighs your fear of his reaction, then it will be enough.
Why did humans always make things so complicated?
 
End Chapter
Completed 3/21/04
Edited 8/17/09