Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Pokemon-Episode 1:Affair with the Gang ❯ Rustboro, Devon Corp. ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3:Rustboro, Devon Corp.
Josh walked the path, the warmth of the sunset spreading through his body. After walking about a quarter mile, he was stopped by yet another trainer. "Hey, you!" she called. Josh let out a deep sigh. "What's wrong? Tired?" she teased. "Well, suck it up. You're out in the real world, so take it like a man!"
"Let's just get this over with," Josh said.
"Go, Zigzagoon!" The racoon pokemon appeared and let out a growl.
"Go, Combusken!" Combusken came out and took up a fighting stance. "Combusken, Double Kick!" Combusken ran up to the Zigzagoon and dolled out two, swift kicks. The Zigzagoon was out before it hit the ground. "Sorry. I'd have given you a chance, but I just don't have the patience right now. I'm too tired. Later." Josh continued down the path. He saw the buildings off in the distance and checked his map. "Rustboro," he read. "Hmmm. I should be able to make it in a few hours." After about an hour, the sun had already set. Josh heard cries of nocturnal pokemon emitting from the woods. The moon was peaking over the horizon, as if it was shy to come out and show it beauty to the Hoenn region. Josh heard a fluttering sound and looked up to see several Hoothoot fly overhead. Josh kept walking, then decided to rest for a while. He released his pokemon, then sat down on the grass and closed his eyes, wondering what was in store for him next. After a while, he fell asleep.
Wraaaaaawwwwrr!! Josh woke up with a start as the ferocious cry of something echoed around him. He heard something coming from the woods, crashing through the brush. He stood up and Combusken followed suit. His Wingull took to the air and hovered around them. Out of the woods came a giant bear, standing sevn feet tall. It had a big ring on its belly. It let out another roar.
"What the hell?!" Josh said in surprise. The bear came down on all fours and charged towards Josh. "Run, guys!" he shouted at his pokemon. They raced away from the bear, but it was closing the gap between it and Josh quickly. Combusken and Wingull were ahead. The bear was close enough to Josh to swipe his feet from under him. Josh let out a yell as he crashed hard onto the ground. The bear stood up on its hind legs and was about to pounce. Josh covered his face with his arm, waiting for the weight to come down on him. When he didn't feel the bear upon him, he put his arm down. He saw his Wingull circling the bear, firing Water Guns at it relentlessly. At the same time, Combusken was dolling out kicks left and right. The bear tried continuously to fight them off, but their combined attacks kept it from landing a shot. It jumped up and grabbed Wingull by its beak and reared its hand back to fling it to the ground, but Combusken leaped at it and kicked it in the middle of its ring. It groaned, but swiped Combusken across the face. It spun back, critcally injured. Wingull was free, and firing Water Guns at it again. Josh went up to Combusken and returned it to its ball while the bear was distracted by Wingull. Josh then picked up a rock and flung it at the bear's head. It turnd, glaring at Josh. "Uh-oh," Josh said with regret. The bear let out another ferocious roar, came down on all fours again, and charged towards Josh. Josh ran the other way as fast as he could, but even with Wingull shooting Water Guns at it, the bear didn't slow down. Suddenly, Josh saw a bright light, then saw what seemed to be a human running towards him. He stopped running, then remembered that he was still being chased by the bear. He ran towards the being, then saw it wasn't a human at all. It was a grey pokemon, and had helmet-like horns covering its head. Its muscles were huge. It past Josh and grabbed the bear. It spun around and around, then let the bear go. It soared and crashed 100 feet away. It struggled to its feet and ran back into the woods. The pokemon that saved Josh dissapeared in a red light. A person riding a motorcycle hooked the pokeball onto his belt. He took off his helmet and long, wavy hair fell. "That was a close call, huh? Who are you, kid?" he asked.
"Uh, the name's Josh. Yours?"
"Mine...its Harold."
"Harold, huh? Well, thanks for saving me. I thought I was dead."
"Yeah, you're a lucky guy. Not many people have survived an Ursaring attack."
"A what?"
"An Ursaring. That bear that was trying to do you in."
"Oh. Well, what was that pokemon that beat it?"
"That was my Machoke," Harold said. "So, you heading for Rustboro?"
"Yeah."
"Well, hop on. I can give you a ride."
"Really? Thanks." Josh got on the bike and returned Wingull back to its ball. Harold put his helmet back on and revved the engine. They sped off, leaving a trail of dust.
"So, where should I drop you off?" asked Harold as they reached the entrance to the city.
"I need to heal my pokemon, so just drop me off at the Pokemon Center. I can handle myself from there."
"Alright." Harold manuevered his bike through the city and stopped in front of the Pokemon Center. "Well, here we are. Later, kid."
"Alright. Thanks, Harold." Josh watched as the bike drove off into the distance. Then he entered the Pokemon Center. The treatment of his pokemon took a few hours, and Josh was relieved to see his pokemon in good condition again. He went out into the city, then realized how tired he was. He decided to go rest at the inn for the night.
The next morning, he explored the various shops, admiring the selection of items that they possessed. Afterwards, he went out to Route 116, mulling around the grassy areas looking for wild pokemon he could add to his collection. As he wandered, a bright flash caught his attention. After the flash dissapeared, an Abra sat in the grass ten feet in front of him. Josh pulled out his Pokedex and analyzed the Abra. "Abra, the Psi pokemon. Abra is a pokemon that requires a minimum of eighteen hours of sleep every day. Observation revealed that it uses Teleport to change its location once every hour."
"Alright, an Abra. That could prove useful. Go, Wingull," he shouted as he let the ball fly out of hand. It popped open as the water bird took to the sky and cawed its name for all to hear. "Wingull, Water Gun!" Wingull's signature move flew at the Abra, knocking it onto its back. As it struggled to right itself, Josh let fly a pokeball, encasing the Psychic pokemon. It rolled about, threatening to break free, but it soon stopped and lay still. Josh raised his fist in a triumphant manner, then picked up the ball that held his newly captured pokemon. He slipped it into his pack and headed back for Rustboro. He saw a building that was taller than the others, and saw "Devon" written on the front in big, red letters. He walked up to the entrance and was knocked down by a man with a mask on who was running out. An employee ran after him. "Stop, he's got the data!" the employee shouted. He noticed Josh on the floor and helped him up. "Are you ok, kid?" he asked.
"Yeah, I'm alright uh..." he glanced at the name tag on the employee, "Frank. I'm Josh."
"Hello, Josh. Listen, I don't have any time to chat. I need to get that thief."
"Well, it sounds like you can use some help."
"Would you? Thanks, Josh. He went out to Route 116. Please help Josh. That data he stole has very important documents on it. If he gets them, it could spell disaster for Devon.
"Just leave it to me," said Josh. He raced for Route 116, spotting the thief resting in the grass. He creeped toward him, and called out. "Hey, you!" The thief turned with a start.
"Jeez, kid, what the hell is wrong with you?" he said in a gruff voice.
"You give back that data, or else."
"Hahahahaha, or else what, punk? You lookin' for a fight?"
"If that's what it takes to make you give back that data."
"Fine, bring it! Go, Nuzleaf!" He threw the ball and a humanoid pokemon with a leaf on its head appeared.
"Go, Combusken!" The fire pokemon popped out with a shrill cry. "Combusken, Ember!"
"Nuzleaf, dodge it!" The Nuzleaf leapt clear of the fire. "Nuzleaf, Nature Power!" The Nuzleaf put its arms out and a yellow-orange powder came out. It fell on Combusken, causing it to go down. Combusken had been paralyzed!
"Grrr," Josh grunted, "Combusken, Peck!" Combusken struggled to its feet and ran to the Nuzleaf, burying its beak into the shoulder of its foe. The Nuzleaf cried out in pain.
"Nuzleaf, Pound!" Nuzleaf raised its hand, formed it into a fist, and crashed it down onto Combusken's head. Combusken stepped back, dazed.
"Combusken, Ember!" Once more Combusken's intense flames flew from its beak, this time hitting its target. The Nuzleaf fell back, its eyes glazed over in unconciousness.
"Damn. Nuzleaf, return," the pokemon returned to its ball as the man readied another. "Go, Dustox!" This time, a moth pokemon came out of the ball, flapping its wings, then spreading them out in a threating manner. "Dustox, Gust!" The Dustox flapped its wings, faster and faster, until Combusken was forced to dig its claws into the ground to keep from flying away. It skidded back, and lost its grip, causing it to fly twenty feet behind Josh. It got up and ran back to its trainer's side.
Josh patted it on the head and said, "Combusken, Peck!" Combusken raced at the Dustox, jumped up, and brought its beak down onto its back. The Dustox fell to the ground, but soon took to the air again.
"Dustox, Gust!"
"Combusken, Ember!" The two attacks met as the opposing sides kept up the offense. Dustox continued to flap its wings as Combusken continued to spew the flames from its beak. The two attacks went back and forth, getting dangerously close to both pokemon. Finally, Combusken's Ember gained control and crashed into the Dustox. It fell to the ground, raised its body with its wings, then fell again, this time not getting back up.
"Ok, kid. You've done good up to this point, but you're not getting away this easily. Go, Voltorb!" As the pokemon came out, Josh gazed at it. It looke exactly lik a pokeball, but it had eyes.
"Vol, torb," it cried.
"Voltorb, Spark!" Electricity crackled as it spread through the Voltorb, then it rolled toward Combusken, crashing into it and causing it to fly back while electricity consumed its being. Combusken landed at Josh's feet, and Josh bent over and lifted its head. He cringed as the electricity shocked him. He looked at Combusken, but it was knocked out. "You did good, Combusken. Back in the ball." After Combusken was back in its ball, Josh called out Wingull. "Wingull, Water Gun!" Wingull shot out a jet of water that traveled at high velocity at the Voltorb, but it rolled out of the way well before the water hit the spot it had been in.
"Voltorb, Sonicboom!" Voltorb shook sporadically, then a rapidly moving shockwave flew out at Wingull, hitting it square in the torso. It flew higher into the air from the force, then came crashing down in the grass. It flew back up. "Wingull, Water Gun!" Wingull shot out another jet of water.
"Voltorb, hold your ground!" Voltorb braced for the hit, but skidded back a few feet. Wingull was still firing water from its mouth, keeping up the attack. "Voltorb, Charge!" Voltorb began to glow and its body crackled, then electricity began to run through it.
"Wingull, stop!" Josh shouted, but it was too late. The electricity that was spreading through the Voltorb was conducted by the water, and traveled through it until it collided with Wingull in a small explosion. Wingull's body skyrocketed up, then plummeted at an extremely high speed. Josh ran for the spot that Wingull was about to hit,and jumped with both arms outstretched. He caught the pokemon, as once again he cringed from the electricity that was still in Wingull's unconcious body. He laid its head against his, then returned it back to its ball. He pulled out the one that contained his Abra, hoping that it would come through for him. "Go, Abra!" he shouted. Abra popped out, sitting in the grass, snoring.
"Wahahahahaha!" laughed the masked man. "What is an Abra gonna do for ya? It can't even damage my Voltorb! Wahahahahaha!" Abra continued to snore.
"Voltorb, Spark!" Voltorb's body was once again consumed by electricity. It rolled toward Abra.
"Abra, Teleport!" shouted Josh. Abra dissapeared, then reappeared behind Voltorb. The Voltorb made a U-turn and sped toward Abra again. Again Abra Teleported away from Voltorb. This went on several times, and neither one showed a sign of exhaustion. Finally, Abra got tired, and when Voltorb rolled at it again, it couldn't Teleport fast enough, and was hit. Abra cried in pain, then opened its eyes. They started to glow red, and it held out its arms. The Voltorb rose into the air, then was flung foward and crashed into its trainer, knocking him down. The Voltorb rolled off the thief as he got up.
"Ok, kid. That's it. You're going down. Voltorb, Sonicboom!" Voltorb started to shake again like the last time, and once more a shockwave flew out and hit Abra. Abra cried out, then stood up and stuck out its arms again. It tried to fling the Voltorb, but the damage was too severe. It fell on the ground, and Josh ran to pick it up. It was knocked out. Josh had lost the battle.
"Voltorb, return!" shouted the thief. "Well, kid, why don't you get out of here before you get hurt?" The Voltorb glared menacingly at Josh. Josh returned Abra to its ball and walked back to Rustboro, hanging his head in defeat. Frank was waiting for him on the outskirts of the city.
"Josh, what happened?" he asked with concern.
"That thief beat me in a pokemon battle," Josh proclaimed in dismay.
"I'm sorry Josh. And I suppose he still has the data."
"Yep," said Josh as he nodded slowly.
"Well, don't worry about it. That data is extremely difficult to unveil. I doubt that thug has the brain power to find out what it is. No worries." He smiled at Josh, and Josh returned it with a smile of its own.
"I let you down Frank."
"Hey, cheer up, Josh. Don't worry about it. I gotta go. See you again some day." He hurried off to the Devon building, then turned around and ran back to Josh. "Oh, Josh, I suggest that you go down to the Gym, to hone your skills," Frank said, then hurried off again. Josh decided he would do that, right after his pokemon got some well deserved rest at the Pokemon Center. After the break, Josh went up to the Gym and saw a sign that read, "Rustboro Gym-Leader:Roxanne." After skimming the sign, Josh went through the automatic doors into the Gym. He was stopped by a young girl. "Are you here to fight Roxanne?" she asked.
"Yeah, why else would I be here?" Josh answered.
"Fine. This way," she said as she lead Josh into the middle of the gym. She told him to stand on one side, and saw the leader takethe side opposite him. She had a pink ribbon in her black, wavy hair. She was dressed as if she was getting ready to go to school. "Hello, newcomer," she said, "What is your name?"
"I'm Josh, and you must be Roxanne."
"Yes, I am Roxanne. As you can see, I'm the leader of this Gym. I heard from my assistant that you wish to challenge me."
"You heard right."
"Well, then. Shall we get started?"
"I'm ready if you are." Josh grabbed a pokeball and pressed the button in the middle of it, enlargening it, while Roxanne did the same.
"I hope you're prepared," she said with a sly smile.