Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Pokemon Quest ❯ Meet Professor Moro ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Pokemon Quest
 
Jacob and Riolu traveled along the road on their way to… come to think of it, they had no actual idea where they were going. All Jacob wanted to do was travel the land. He didn't really care about gym battles or contests. However, there was one thing he did care about.
 
“We need to catch more Pokemon,” Jacob said as Riolu looked up at him with a confused look. Then that look turned to sadness as if Riolu was accusing his owner of slavery.
 
“Cheer up,” the boy said kneeling down and petting his companion, “We're just going to add another member to the team. The more the merrier, right?”
 
Riolu nodded in understanding. The boy did have a point there. Sure, Riolu was still an infant, but Pokemon were able to mature fairly quickly compared to humans. After all, Riolu had learned to walk in less than 3 minutes.
 
The two ventured through an open field with a path leading them forward when Jacob spotted something by the grass. His eyes sparkled when he saw it: A Starly picking at dirt looking for worms.
 
`I'm gonna catch a Starly first just like my dad did,' the boy thought as he pointed towards Starly shouting, “RIOLU, USE SHADOW CLAW!!!”
 
Riolu ran towards the bird Pokemon with its paw back, but surprisingly, nothing happened and it simply whacked the bird with a simple paw punch, the Starly taking off into the distance.
 
“What happened?” Jacob asked running over to his partner with a look of concern, “Why didn't you use Shadow Claw? You used it on those two criminals this morning.”
 
Riolu seemed to be just as confused as Jacob was as he stood there scratching his head. Suddenly, the boy heard the sound of a man calling for help. He and Riolu nodded at each other, knowing what they had to do and ran to where the cry for help was coming from.
 
Jacob saw a middle-aged man dressed up like a Scientist backed away in a corner, two Pokemon glaring at him and a briefcase out of the man's reach. The two attacking Pokemon were mouse-like Pokemon called Nidorino and Nidorina. The pink one, Nidorino, was a male and the light-blue one, Nidorina was female.
 
“Alright, let's go help that man!” Jacob exclaimed as Riolu nodded charging at the two, Jacob shouting, “USE SHADOW CLAW!!!”
 
But as Riolu leapt towards them, he was once again unable to create that dark energy claw from earlier and managed to deal minor damage from smacking his paw into the side of Nidorino's face.
 
Now to tick off Nidorino was probably a bigger mistake than making Nidorina mad as the male had a horn while the female didn't. The angry rat Pokemon charged towards Riolu ramming his horn into the infant as the creature flew into Jacob, a small bleeding spot on its belly.
 
“I don't get it,” Jacob said, “but you may as well use your other attacks… unfortunately, I have no idea what those are.”
 
The boy decided to consult the guidebook and he needed to hurry. That Nidorino was not going to let Riolu escape. He intended to kill the meddlesome Pokemon.
 
Jacob grimaced when he saw Riolu's page and shouted, “I forgot, this stupid thing only tells me names and personality traits, not attacks!”
 
The man was still backed away in a corner, the Nidorina growling at him as Jacob had to think fast, then he remembered a common attack that most mammal Pokemon had early in their development.
 
“RIOLU, USE QUICK ATTACK!!!” he snapped as Riolu smiled and dodged Nidorino's incoming horn, making a quick U-turn and ramming his elbow into the rat's side.
 
Nidorino skidded against the ground groaning in pain as Jacob sighed with relief, finally finding an attack that he knew Riolu could use. But it wasn't over yet. Next, he had to take care of Nidorina.
 
“RIOLU, USE QUICK ATTACK ON THE OTHER ONE!!!” he spat as Riolu nodded and charged towards the hornless rat and rammed his elbow into her knocking her to the side.
 
The adult got to his feet quickly as he dove for his briefcase, picking it up and pulling a Pokeball out of it. Jacob blinked and asked, “What are you doing?”
 
“Come on, kid,” the man remarked, “Unless that Riolu is really strong, there's no way a simple quick attack would keep those two down.”
 
The man was right. Jacob's eyes went wide as Nidorino and Nidorina climbed back to their feet, their eyes red with fury. The middle-aged man hurled the Pokeball he had drawn from his briefcase as a monkey with a burning stub for a tail emerged from it.
 
“Do my eyes deceive me?” Jacob asked with sparkling eyes, “That's a Chimchar!”
 
“Stand back, kid,” the adult said with a grin, “I can handle this.”
 
That said, he gave the monkey Pokemon a command and Chimchar obeyed, shooting small fireballs at the two rat Pokemon scorching them as they ran away in fear.
 
The man sighed and turned to Jacob saying, “Thanks, kid.”
 
Jacob's eyes sparkled as he asked, “Where did you get that Chimchar?” the man smiling and stating, “I'm a professor. The Pokemon in this briefcase are for new trainers.”
 
Jacob couldn't believe what he was hearing. He had just helped out a professor of all people. This was truly one of the happiest moments in his life.
 
The professor introduced himself as Moro and led Jacob to the town he lived in, Pinetown. There, Jacob was led to Professor Moro's laboratory where various Pokemon-related tests were being performed.
 
“I can't believe I'm in this place,” Jacob squealed fan boyishly while the professor said, “I'll explain why you're here soon enough. I'm expecting someone today, though, so you'll have to wait for her to arrive.”
 
Jacob was too entranced with all the technology to mind that. He could wait all day if he had to. To be in a Pokemon lab was a dream come true for him.
 
The professor eyed Riolu and asked, “Say, kid, how did you come across such a rare Pokemon?”
 
Jacob snapped out of his trance and realized that if he told Moro the truth, the man would think he was crazy. So he thought up the most logical explanation he could.
 
“He's a gift from a friend,” Jacob stated as Moro nodded in understanding saying, “You're quite fortunate, but it seems you are a beginner to Pokemon training. Don't you know that Riolu can't use Shadow Claw?”
 
Jacob's eyes went wide when he heard this. How could that possibly be true? He saw Riolu use it earlier. How strange…
 
But before he could go further into this, a young girl with green hair and blue eyes entered the lab looking rather cheerful. Moro smiled and said, “Nice to see you, Roxanne. I didn't think you'd show up so early.”
 
“Oh, you know I want my own Pokemon really badly!” Roxanne squealed as Moro laughed and said, “Jacob, this is Roxanne. She's the daughter of a great friend of mine. She's starting her Pokemon journey today?”
 
Riolu hugged Jacob's leg trembling clearly scared of Roxanne for some reason. It must have been her hyperactive attitude.
 
“OH MY GOD!!!” Roxanne shouted, eyes sparkling while she stared happily at the small infant, “Is that really a Riolu? I love Riolu!”
 
Riolu let down tears as Jacob pet his head and said, “It's okay, Riolu. She won't hurt you.”
 
Moro cleared his throat as Roxanne shook Jacob's hand. The two introduced themselves and Moro sighed with relief, emptying out his briefcase and placing 3 Pokeballs onto stands. One had a picture of a leaf on it, another had a picture of a flame and the last one had a picture of a water droplet.
 
“Alright, Roxanne,” Moro said, “Take your pick.”
 
The girl looked at the Pokeballs already knowing which Pokemon was in each. The one with the plant on it carried a turtle Pokemon called Turtwig. The one with the flame had Chimchar. The one with the droplet had a penguin Pokemon called Piplup.
 
“Oh, it's so hard to choose!” Roxanne whined, “They're all so cute!”
 
Riolu hid his face in Jacob's legs as the boy sighed, patting his head reassuringly. This Roxanne girl was pretty scary, after all.
 
But after a while, the girl ended up choosing Turtwig. She seemed to have a fascination for turtles.
 
She released the turtle Pokemon from its Pokeball and the two got off to a fairly bad start. See, Turtwig weren't exactly the most active of Pokemon. They were actually quite mellow, and Roxanne was… well… hyper.
 
The turtle groaned in agony while Roxanne snuggled its cheek up against hers shouting, “I'm gonna make you nice and pretty so we can win contests together!”
 
“So you're into contests,” Jacob stated as Roxanne nodded saying, “All my life, I've dreamed of winning at least one contest medal.”
 
Moro smiled and said, “That's a good goal. By the way, you need some things before you begin your journey with Turtwig.”
 
Moro handed Roxanne 5 Pokeballs and portable computer called a Pokedex. A Pokedex was basically an electronic guide that contained data on most Pokemon, kind of like a more informative version of Jacob's guidebook.
 
Roxanne left happily while Moro turned to Jacob and said, “For helping me rid of those Pokemon earlier, I feel it's only fair that I grant you one of my two remaining Pokemon.”
 
Jacob was really happy to hear this and thought of what would make a good friend for Riolu. Turtwig was a good choice, but he was gone now, so the boy had to pick someone different.
 
Then it hit Jacob. What was the one Pokemon he'd heard an attack name for? The answer was obvious.
 
“I'm gonna go with Chimchar,” Jacob stated, releasing the monkey who looked up at Moro who stated, “Chimchar, this is your new owner. Please get along with him.”
 
The monkey nodded and leapt into Jacob's arms for a quick hug, Riolu feeling a bit more relieved. At least the monkey seemed like better company then the cuteness-obsessed psychopath he'd met a couple of minutes ago.
 
Moro thought hard and said, “You seem to have some potential. Why don't you try for the ultimate Pokemon challenge?”
 
Jacob blinked with a confused look as the professor explained, “Most trainers strive for the ultimate Pokemon challenge. This requires you to earn 8 badges from the various gyms scattered throughout the continent. Once you have those, you will be able to face other trainers in a tournament to decide who the best of the best is.”
 
Jacob thought hard about this. He'd never really shown any interest in this. Then it came to him, what if he ended up the champion? His mom would most likely regret ever preventing him from being a trainer and he would gain satisfaction.
 
And so he was off on his journey now with an actual goal of what he was to do, Chimchar in his pocket and Riolu by his side. Things were going well for him now.
 
We now take you to a dark and damp city where there were many factories letting out excess waste. The entire sky was polluted and shrouded in a dark storm cloud and in the middle of this city was a base simply labeled with a giant A for Advent.
 
This was the headquarters for Team Advent, a criminal organization sworn to capturing powerful Pokemon for the boss' world-domination plan. At this moment, Donavan and Jenna were in front of their boss' desk.
 
The big man himself was a man named Varen. He ruled with an iron fist and could not tolerate failure.
 
“You miserable lowlifes!” he snapped at the two, “As punishment for your failure, you are to spend 5 hours in the torture chamber where you will be whipped for your mistake!”
 
“Sir, hear me out!” Jenna shouted as Donavan asked, “Why can't I say it?” Jenna smacking him upside the head.
 
“Do you understand how hard it is to capture Pokemon without any allies to help us?” The girl asked as Varen thought about this and said, “You're absolutely right. There's no way you could stand up to a Pokemon without Pokemon of your own. How foolish of me.”
 
Jenna sighed with relief as she had just prevented them from being punished. Varen brought out two Pokeballs and said, “I don't really trust you two with highly advanced Pokemon, so I'm only giving you a little firepower. Nevertheless, they should prove most useful.”
 
The two balls opened up revealing a crab Pokemon known as Corpish for Donavan and a cat with dark fur and a tail in a spiral known as Glameow for Jenna. Now that the two had Pokemon of their own, they would surely be more threatening.