Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Pokemon Quest ❯ Shipwreck ( Chapter 15 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Pokemon Quest
 
Lucario and Buizel were in trouble now. They were certain that last assault would do their opponents in but here they were, still standing. Of course, Lucario was a pretty bad pick for a partner, but Jacob had so much trust in the infant. He was certain Lucario wouldn't lose again.
 
“Just give up already,” Miles said with a grimace, “Your persistence is testing my patience.”
 
Izy glared at Miles ashamed of the man for joining the side of evil. Anna was still neutral as Jacob gritted his teeth.
 
“I DON'T CARE IF I LOSE TO YOU!!!!” he spat much to Miles' displeasure, “I will never back down no matter what you throw at me!”
 
Miles gritted his teeth with a forced smile and remarked, “Trying to be a hero, are we? Listen, you're just a regular Pokemon trainer. You're not a master, so beat it!”
 
At this exact moment, Buizel started to change. His master's courage was rather inspiring.
 
Everyone watched in awe, Miles with a look of fear on his face as Buizel's body became taller and a bit wider near the bottom. The floatation ring around her neck transformed into a bit life preserver that humped across his shoulders and around her arms, kind of like a back pack without the pack. Her arms, which were longer, also had longer fish fins on them. Her tails and fin-shaped hair atop her head were also longer and she now had a big pair of fangs sticking out of her mouth.
 
Anna and Jacob's eyes sparkled for Buizel had just evolved into Floatzel. This had happened much quicker than the other evolutions, so Jacob was very happy with this.
 
Miles was furious now as Floatzel unleashed a much more powerful water gun, this time taking Magmar out for good. Now Camerupt had no partner left, but that didn't stop him from trying.
 
Miles knew it was pointless, but he continued to shout orders as Camerupt unleashed an ember attack towards Lucario. The infant braced himself as this attack could very well finish him off, but Floatzel leapt in the way and held her fins out blocking the attack.
 
This evolution was showing far more results than expecting, and things were only getting better as Lucario's eyes glowed yellow. Miles' eye twitched as the infant released a devastating Hyper Beam finishing Camerupt for good.
 
Miles was in too much shock to return Camerupt as he fell on his hands and knees, the sea captain's eyes going wide. He just realized that no one was steering the ship now.
 
He looked out one of the windows and saw that the ship was about to ram into a rock. He quickly ran to where the steering wheel was, but the ship was too close to crashing. Even if he got to the wheel, there was no way he could prevent it from crashing, and if it did, the drum with the nitroglycerin would surely explode. He would have been fine with the kids dying, but he was too stubborn to realize that the plan had already been foiled and wanted to make sure it went exactly as planned.
 
“Oh no, we gotta get the nitroglycerin outta here!” Jacob shouted as Anna calmly pointed to a drum. It just so happens that Miles was dumb enough to bring it with him to the battle. With his fire Pokemon, it was amazing an explosion hadn't occurred yet.
 
The group struggled to hold it up. Miles must have been tougher than he looked, because even with all three along with Lucario and Floatzel trying to lift it up, it was hard work.
 
Just as the boat was second away from the rock, the group managed to heave the nitroglycerin towards the window and used all their might to heave it out of the ship. They really hoped to avoid hitting the water and all the Pokemon living in it, and luckily it managed to hit a rock blowing a big gap in it.
 
But there was still one problem left. The boat had now crashed into the rock and was starting to sink. Luckily, the group had Floatzel who inflated her life preserver and took the teens' and Lucario's hands diving out the window with them into the ocean and swimming away just in time.
 
Izy had a satisfactory grin as the seventeen Team Advent members and the two generals were still onboard. Finally some true justice had been done. Although Jacob felt a little bad while Anna didn't seem to realize that the Team Advent members had drowned to death. Jacob felt awful. Bad or not, he didn't want living beings to die.
 
But all in all, at least they'd managed to stop an evil plan as Floatzel took them back to shore. The problem had finally been dealt with.
 
Unfortunately, not all Team Advent members had died in the sinking of the boat. While the seventeen lackeys had paid a visit to Davy Jones' locker along with the captain, Miles had survived. He swam up to the surface gasping for air as he felt ashamed of himself for failing so horribly. But he wasn't just depressed over the fact that he'd lost. He was also saddened by the fact that he'd irresponsibly allowed Camerupt to drown.
 
Not only was Camerupt in the bottom of his biggest weakness, he was a very heavy Pokemon so he was unable to swim. Miles just knew that his camel Pokemon was never coming back. Camerupt was dead and he felt responsible for it all.
 
As the teens climbed ashore, they were interviewed by news reporters about the event that had occurred. Izy told the whole story of it all and explained how she, Jacob and Anna had prevented their plan from working.
 
“What was the nitroglycerin being used for?” the reporter asked as Jacob shrugged and replied, “Those Team Advent guys didn't reveal their plans to us, so we have no idea.”
 
Now, one would probably call Jacob stupid for this. After all, this report was on live television and his mom watched the news every day. But that didn't matter too much to him as his mom already knew he was gone from the letter he'd left behind, however, he didn't consider for a minute that an event like this would worry her.
 
His mother just watched the screen and sighed, “He's become a hero like his father. I bet he's going to die like his father, too.”
 
She let down tears wishing she could do something about this, but she knew her place. She didn't know the first thing about training Pokemon and she knew how dangerous traveling outside the city limits without a Pokemon would be.
 
After the news report, Jacob noticed a young man with red hair walk towards him as he asked, “Did you really defeated Miles?”
 
“Yes, I did,” Jacob answered truthfully as the man smiled replying, “I'm Derk, the Mossberg gym leader. Miles is a far tougher trainer than me, and for you to beat him under difficult circumstances is more than enough to earn you this.”
 
The man pulled out a badge as Jacob held it, his eyes sparkling. Sure, he hadn't defeated the official gym leader to earn it, but he had defeated someone stronger. This gave him a much more positive attitude.
 
As the Pokemon rested in the centre, Jacob sat next to Izy while Anna was outside playing with her new Vulpix. Jacob rested a hand on the girl's shoulder and said, “Izy, don't dwell on the past too much.”
 
“I know I shouldn't,” Izy said, “I pursued a life of contests because dad wanted me to live a happy life despite what happened to him. That's why I wanted to forget that he was forced to work for them during his time alive.”
 
“I hate to bring this up,” Jacob said, “but how did you know he died?”
 
“Well, it also explains where my Hoothoot came from,” Izy replied, “That very Hoothoot came to the orphanage before I started my journey. Dad had caught him in secret when he noticed Hoothoot crash-land into the Advent base. It so happens that the toxic fumes from the factories prevented his flight. He and mom secretly made Hoothoot more healthy and were about to send him to me as a present when Dad was executed. Mom knew she would be next, so she wrote a quick note telling me of this and tying it to Hoothoot's leg, giving him directions to my orphanage.”
 
“I'm amazed,” Jacob said, “Most parents would hide this sort of thing from a little kid. Your mom and dad were truly honest people.”
 
And so the night went by calm and peaceful and when the morning came, it was back on the road. Izy had finally cheered herself up, remembering what she'd set out to do. Anna was calm and happy as always and Jacob was confident as ever to get his forth gym badge.
 
Meanwhile, Miles had returned to the Team Advent head quarters, looking rather ashamed of himself. He was frightened when he entered Varen's office.
 
He explained how his Camerupt had drowned at sea and Varen nodded in understanding. Varen offered to give Miles a replacement, but the ex-gym leader refused. He knew that no one could replace Camerupt if he didn't train the Pokemon on his own. But what Miles did want was to borrow the chopper.
 
He used it to fly to the area where he'd first met Camerupt back when he was his pre-evolutionary form, Numel. Here, in the mountains that Jacob and his friends had passed through earlier, he spotted another Numel just minding his business.
 
He knew it would be nothing like his first Numel, but he didn't want any other Pokemon in his team, so after a fierce battle between this new Numel and Magmar, the camel Pokemon was caught and Miles sighed, a smile on his face. It would be a while before this Numel developed into a Camerupt as strong as his old one, but now he truly felt at peace.
 
`I'm sorry, Camerupt,' he thought, `but I know you wouldn't want me to dwell over your loss forever. I'll make sure this one becomes big and strong not only for me but to honor you.'
 
Jacob and his friends were back on the road when the boy spotted a green Pokemon shaped like a sphere with rounded arms. Along its body were needles and it had five circles representing a mouth along with something atop its head that resembled a crown.
 
Jacob and Anna's eyes sparkled as they shouted, “It's a Cacnea!” Izy rolling her eyes. Would they reacting to everything this way?
 
She was also rather nervous about that look in Jacob's eye. She knew the boy wanted it and shrugged, sitting back while he sent out Monferno.
 
“Monferno, trap it with Fire Spin!” he shouted as the monkey opened her mouth surrounding the Cacnea in a ring of fire.
 
Cacnea attempted to escape but only managed to burn its arm in the process as Monferno took full advantage of this hitting the cactus-like Pokemon with a powerful ember. Cacnea managed to barely survive as it shot an array of needles at Monferno. This attack was known as Pin Missile.
 
Luckily, Monferno was too fast for the move, and besides, it wouldn't have done much to her anyway. Finally, the monkey delivered her finishing blow, Flame Wheel and Cacnea was caught in an instant. Jacob danced happily as another member had been added to the team, Izy just happy that he was pleased with the end result.
 
Despite the recent events, there was no way the teens were going to stop enjoying themselves. Darkrai had told them not to look away from their goals and they intended to keep that promise no matter how ludicrous it sounded.