Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Small Doses ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Here is my first attempt at a PMD2-based fic. It's gonna be a oneshot (for some reason, “an oneshot” just sounds weird when said aloud), just to put the spotlight on a very rare pairing in the PMD2 world (or I think it's rare, at least, I haven't seen it myself)-Gallade/Weavile (Antiquityshipping), with the Gallade from Team Raider and the Weavile from Team AWD. I don't remember much from when I last played PMD2 (it's been a while since I've lost it), so sorry if they somehow are out-of-character, even though their characters never seemed to be explored much in the games in the first place. If I remember correctly, Team AWD seemed to be sort of like thieves, except maybe more honorable. I could be wrong here; in fact, I'm probably completely wrong! But, I like the idea anyways, so bleh, deal with it!
 
Here are the characters from the two teams that I will have in this twoshot:
 
Gallade = Rain (male, der)
Roserade = Melody (female)
Rhyperior = Bobby (female)
Weavile = Lady Weavile (female, der)
Arbok = Corvax (male)
Drapion = Toxi (female)
 
These names aren't official, and the genders (except for the Gallade and the Weavile who is called “Lady Weavile” in the game) aren't either. It's just a fanfic, so don't have a cow if the way I write it is different than the way you imagine it.
 
Enough with the warnings! On to the fic! . . . After these messages from our sponsors. :D
 
Disclaimer: I do not own anything of the Pokemon franchise-I only own the specific personalities for these characters, not their species. (Boy, haven't done one of these in a while!)
 
Rating: T for language and violence. But, knowing me, that's nothing new, right?
 
 
.
 
 
They were this close to reaching the treasure first.
 
“Hurry up, Corvax!” The Drapion called back to the Arbok lagging behind. “We're almost to the end! I can sense it!”
 
“I'd make a joke about sssssensesssss tingling,” he puffed, “but you're not a ssssSpinarak and I'm exhausssssted.”
 
“Hush,” Lady Weavile scolded them both, putting a claw to her lips as she stopped in her tracks. “I think I hear someone else nearby.”
 
They all halted in their tracks and listened to the sounds of the cave, and, sure enough, there was a mild murmuring coming from around the corner. They crept to it and peeked into the room to see figures standing before a random pool of water that surrounded an island, holding what they sought. One of the figures, the smaller one, leapt gracefully over the water to reach the treasure, and Lady Weavile gritted her teeth.
 
“No way, bitch.”
 
Suddenly, she wasn't there anymore, and as her teammates looked around for her in confusion they heard an exclamation of surprise from the room. They dashed in to see their leader already at the island with her claws on the chest as she argued with the Roserade of Team Raider. Outside of the ring of water stood her teammates, a Gallade and a Rhyperior, both looking edgy now that the well-known thieves were there.
 
They were notorious for taking treasure right under explorers' noses.
 
“Sorry, darling,” the Sharp Claw Pokemon taunted with a sly smile, “but I'm afraid I can't let you have this.”
 
“Lady Weavile!” The serpent quickly made his way to the edge of the water, but he was unable to swim. He looked across to the two on the island and threatened, “If you lay one petal on her, I'll give you a bite to remember me by!”
 
“Not so fast.” The Gallade stepped up, furrowing his brow at Corvax. “Nobody should get hasty, now . . .”
 
“That's our treasure!” The Roserade stomped her foot angrily, pointing at the chest Lady Weavile was holding. “We got here first!
 
“Ah, ah!” Lady Weavile wagged a claw at the fuming Pokemon. “Finders keepers, losers weepers!”
 
The Roserade grew even more furious and lunged at her with a vine covered with thorns, but she nimbly dodged it and leapt across the water to land on the Drapion's back, telling her, “Pedal to the metal, Toxi!” As the thieves began to make their escape, she looked over her shoulder to taunt the Roserade once more. “See you later, losers!”
 
After they had left, Team Raider's Psychic/Fighting-Type let his shoulders sag as the Rhyperior commented, “Well, Rain, that went well.” They watched the third member of the team have a stomping-and-ranting-to-no-one-in-particular-fit as they tried to salvage what was left of their dignity before using their badges to return home.
 
 
.
 
 
“Hey, you!”
 
“Uh-oh,” Lady Weavile muttered under her breath as she heard an unfortunately familiar voice call out to them while they were on their way out of Treasure Town. “Team, split up!” They all went in separate directions to lower the chance of the whole team being caught, and the leader looked back only to see that, what do you know, the leader of Team Raider was chasing her. Great.
 
Time to lose this loser, she thought with a smirk before turning to run backwards and clutching a dark purple ball, tossing a Dark Pulse into his face. With him recovering from the blow, she quickly darted to the side, and as she hid behind a tree she heard his footsteps stop as he searched for her. She grinned and mused, he'll end up wearing himself out before he can catch me. She then ran off to leave him there, ready to take the long way home.
 
Suddenly, a blur of white, and Rain was in front of her. Startled, she jumped to the side to barely avoid some Fighting move that was aimed at her stomach. Whoa, gotta focus! With him having double the advantage with his Fighting moves, she had to be careful or it would all end in the blink of an eye. Speed and dexterity-and a high level of ingenuity-would be what “won” this battle.
 
She put her palms together and once more threw a Dark Pulse at him, this time to hurt him instead of distract him. He raised his arms in the shape of an “x”, however, and guarded against the move before charging forward and slashing at her with both elbow-blades extended. It wasn't effective against her, but it did do some damage, and she put some distance between them so she could have a moment to plan.
 
That was all she had, though. Immediately, he ran after her, and it became a chase again; she turned and ran off into the woods, needing to get away before he could hit her with a fatal blow. As they leapt through the trees, her thoughts flew by at an incredible rate, trying to give her a strategy before he got another hit on her. What to do, what to do? I'm alone while the rest of my team fends off his . . . what can I do to confuse him? Come on, Weavile, think . . .
 
Something came to mind that made her smile.
 
Excellent.
 
He then tried to jab at her from the right, but she ducked under his arm and rushed in to deliver a blow to his chest, her claws glowing purple. He at first seemed to think it was another Dark Pulse she wanted to get a point-blank hit on, but she quickly dispelled that theory when she punched forward and managed to hit her target-with Poison Jab. The move itself did very little to affect him, but if she was lucky, he was now poisoned. That would help her in the long run.
 
He still didn't seem to get it, for he grabbed her arm and threw her over his shoulder to smack into a tree (which she would have done if she hadn't had awesome reflexes). He most likely thought it was just Shadow Claw or something like that, considering he probably hadn't felt much from the blow. She was glad for this, for now she was confident that he'd eventually get too weak to fight or follow her anymore. She then opted to keep him from thinking about it too much by attacking him some more, or more accurately, blowing Icy Wind his way.
 
After the first few minutes of this hit-and-run tactic of hers, it was obvious that Rain was getting tired fast and he knew it-but there was nothing he could do about it, because he had no items with him at the moment. He just had to deal with it as he fought her, struggling to hit her as she danced around him teasingly. She was actually enjoying this, because the expression on his face was priceless. “What's the matter, darling?” She asked him with a smile. “Getting a little tired?”
 
This seemed to finally tick him off, for he stopped his worthless attacks and stood still for a moment. His fist started to glow white as he closed his eyes, but Lady Weavile took no notice of this for she jumped to a tree branch and continued to taunt him. “My, I think the little knight's bushed!” She put a claw on the trunk and leaned against it like one would a wall, and she commented, “You're not in shape, darling. You should work out more.”
 
He took his time to power up, and it was only when he opened his eyes and grinned that she noticed his fist. Focus Punch. Her eyes widened, and she was going to turn to leap away from-
 
BAM!
 
“Ugh!” Very unladylike, as Corvax would have commented, she grunted at the blow to her stomach and fell to the forest floor with a dull thud as he returned lightly to the ground. He stood steadily for a moment, looking at her still form carefully for any sign of trickery, before finally falling to his knees in exhaustion. She caught the blurry sight of him collapsing face first before she blacked out completely.
 
 
.
 
 
“Ugh . . . I feel like Toxi sat on my stomach and Brick Break'd me in the chest until I couldn't breathe . . .”
 
“Really, now?”
 
What had originally been a normal morning routine (wake up, complain about how she felt, get a bite to eat) became a state of panic as Lady Weavile leapt to her feet in an instant-and fell back down soon after that. In all of the excitement, she never really got to see who had spoken, but that soon became clear as a painfully familiar white-and-green face appeared over her as she held her head in agony. Her teary eyes eventually cleared up to see the Gallade of Team Raider leaning over to look down at her on the ground.
 
“Still aching after the fight?”
 
She scowled at him, growling, “Shut up, you! You did this to me!”
 
“And you,” Rain motioned at his scuffed up self, “did this to me.” He, indeed, had a good number of injuries on him, from bruises to cuts, and even a purple-colored mark on his chest where she had hit him with Poison Jab. She was a bit proud, to say the least, but she didn't say it aloud in case he got angry again and Focus Punch'd her into a coma.
 
“Fine,” Lady Weavile mumbled as she slowly sat up, wincing at the motion. “You win.” She then looked around herself, looking for her small satchel that she was sure had fallen off during the battle. But, where was it? And . . . to be more specific, where were they?
 
“If you're looking for your bag,” he told her, as if reading her mind, “I found it nearby hanging on a tree branch. It doesn't have much in it, though . . .”
 
Damn. So someone decided to steal from me while I was asleep. She huffed. Bastard.
 
Her first question was, “Where are we?”
 
“Somewhere in the woods far outside of Treasure Town.” He seemed a bit down about that, as if he didn't want to spend time out there around her. Well, good, I don't want to spend time with him, either! They were obviously injured, though, and with no items to heal them . . .
 
“We're lost, and stuck.” It was a blunt and calm statement.
 
He nodded.
 
“Great.” He ignored this comment, so she scowled behind his back before reaching over to her satchel to see what was still in there. To be honest, there wasn't much left-there was an apple and one Oran berry, but that was it. Otherwise, she was item-less. “Double great.”
 
“Do you have a Pecha berry?”
 
She glanced over to the Gallade still with his back to her, and she raised an eyebrow before replying, “No, I don't.” She didn't know he was still poisoned, but now that she looked at him more closely she noticed his breathing pattern was a bit ragged. She gave a small grin at the thought that she had almost taken down the co-leader of Team Raider. Oh, I'm good.
 
“. . . Oh.” He sort of shrugged, mumbling, “Alright, then.”
 
As he became quiet again, she was struck by a stunning realization-he hadn't looked in her bag. He couldn't have, if he asked for a Pecha berry. So, how did he know there was little in it? She gave it an expert shake, and decided it must have been its weight that determined it. But still, it was amazing that he hadn't looked into her satchel, considering how many others have always wanted to see what was inside (like Corvax). So, she had a small ounce of respect for him.
 
He then spoke up, “It's sort of fitting, you know.” When she gave a confused hum, he looked over his shoulder. “For the thief to get robbed, I mean.”
 
She scowled. Whatever little respect she had gained for him just flew out the proverbial window. “You have a weird code of honor.” She crossed her arms and growled, “And we aren't thieves.”
 
“Oh, really?” Rain finally turned around to face her with a “you're kidding, right” expression. “Because, from what I've seen and heard, you've stolen many treasures from other exploration teams.”
 
“And this is coming from the leader of Team “Raiders”. I'm telling you, we aren't!” Lady Weavile gave him a glare as he still didn't look convinced. “Really! Darling, have we ever taken anything that was yours?”
 
“Yes, you have-”
 
“Anything straight from your hands?”
 
“I . . .” He stopped for a moment to think about that one. “Not straight from our hands, but-”
 
“Exactly!” She was staring at him as if he was a Psyduck she had smacked and was waiting for him to feel his headache. “We don't steal. That's how we Weavile are. If it's not in your hands first, then it's not yours.”
 
“That's . . .” He crossed his arms as he frowned thoughtfully. “. . . an interesting philosophy.”
 
“You don't think I've gotten things taken before, too?” She had a serious look in her carnelian gaze as it glazed over in her memories. “We've had our fair share of times where things were stolen right under our noses. Team Skull normally had to do with that, but there were other Pokemon, too. It's just how this game works, it doesn't favor anyone or anything.”
 
“You see it all as a game?” When she nodded, Rain was silent for a moment of contemplation. He furrowed his brow, as if he opposed the thought, and he eventually spoke up about it. “Exploring is a serious business, filled with perils and responsibility. There's no time to mess around, or you might cause your team to fail the mission, or worse, get injured.”
 
“Is that what you think?” When he nodded, Lady Weavile looked up at the blue sky they could see among the treetops. With her gaze on one of the puffy clouds, she told him, “You stress out too much. That's not good for your health. Sometimes, you should let bygones be bygones and just go with the flow.” A tiny smile appeared on her snout as she waved a claw around them. “Exploring was made to be an adventure, a journey filled with fun and surprises! To make it a duty and all serious . . . that's not what it was made for; that's like a grappling hook having a short reach, it just destroys the purpose.”
 
They were quiet for a while after that, neither of them knowing what to say or whether they should say anything at all. They were from different teams, different perspectives, different worlds, and the variations between them were vast. How would you start a conversation with your exact opposite?
 
As this silence lengthened, Lady Weavile took the liberty to groom herself, getting a few sticks out of her headdress of feathers and dusting the dirt off of her stomach. She was very conscious of herself, and to be caught dirty was something that appalled her. She was careful to scratch away the dirt between her claws, and although he was watching she pretended that he didn't exist as she did her work thoroughly.
 
“. . . Why do you Weavile have feathers?”
 
“Hm?” She looked up at him. “Say again, darling?”
 
“Rain,” he grunted a bit uncomfortably, as if he didn't like being called “darling” by someone who was constantly trying to either get to the treasure first or cause him bodily harm with a well-placed Dark Pulse. He then went on as she raised a curious eyebrow, “Your feathers, they always seemed out of place for a creature that doesn't fly.”
 
“And the fin on your head,” she replied, “seems out of place for a creature that isn't a Sharpedo.”
 
“. . . touché.” He seemed to give her that as he grew quiet once more, and she scoffed and sat down on the ground to start cleaning between her toes.
 
 
.
 
 
Many months later-long after they had found their way out and returned to their respective teams-Lady Weavile found herself sitting on the beach, looking across the water and watching the Krabby all scuttle away, signaling a stormy night was ahead. She didn't mind the rain, although she preferred the cold of the snow, and wasn't afraid to stay there for as long as she wanted. It was a way to collect her thoughts, away from her chaotic teammates and the constant pressure of being a leader of an exploration team. Over the course of the past few weeks, she had felt the tension increase to nearly an unbearable point-before Corvax finally let it ssssslip out.
 
“Corvax and Toxi.” She chuckled at the idea, calling herself stupid for never noticing it before. “I mean, they did argue occasionally, but when I was busy they only had each other to hang out with. It was inevitable, I suppose.”
 
“What was inevitable?” She jumped at the voice only to finally notice the long pair of white legs to her right belonging to the leader of Team Raider. She didn't scowl or roll her eyes this time, however, which might have surprised him (she wasn't sure from this angle, and her eyes were on the ocean anyway).
 
“My teammates hooked up like a pair of Luvdisc.”
 
“Ah.” After a moment of hesitation, he took a seat beside her on the sand, crossing his legs and resting his elbows on his thighs (blades withdrawn, of course). Silence stretched between them like a rubber band for a while, until he decided to snap it away like a student would when bored. “That's definitely news to me.”
 
“Oh, they haven't gone public with it yet,” she told him, rolling her shoulders back to inhale deeply. The salty and damp air weighed heavily on her, but instead of making her claustrophobic it felt like the ocean was hugging her. “They said they were waiting until they knew how to tell everyone.” She shrugged at the strange look she felt him give her. “I don't see what their problem is; a relationship is a relationship! Just go up and say “hey, guys, we're like in love” or something, and bam! Problem solved.”
 
Rain pursed his lips. “That's an interesting way to put it, but I agree.”
 
“At least someone does,” she mumbled, although she gave him a playful smirk as they both chuckled at the conversation they were having. It was strange how she suddenly felt so at ease with him-but then again, after spending a few days with only each other and then being thrown back into their leadership roles, perhaps this was her escape from it all. It was like being lost all over again.
 
“You're not the only one with relationships going around on your team,” he finally spoke up after a long period of comfortable silence. When she looked at him curiously, she found his face was indifferent except for his eyes; the maroon orbs seemed to be lost in such deep thought that it was almost as if he was speaking to himself. “Just this afternoon, Melody came up to me and told me that she had feelings for me.”
 
Lady Weavile racked her brain as she tried to remember Team Raider's members. “Uhh . . . the Roserade?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Ah. Damn, darling.” She copied his cross-legged position and crossed her arms over her chest as she looked over at him curiously. “How's that feel?”
 
The Gallade glanced at her in surprise. “To be honest, I was expecting you to ask what happened next.”
 
She grinned and replied cheekily, “Well, I was going to ask that next, of course.”
 
“Of course,” he repeated with a smile. “Hm, how's it feel? To be honest, I have no clue. I've never had someone like me like that before. For looks, of course, but not as deep as she seemed to.”
 
““Looks, of course”?” The Sharp Claw Pokemon donned a mischievous smirk on her face and gave him a light shove, taunting, “You're almost more conceited than I am! And, trust me, darling, that's hard to achieve.”
 
“Oh,” he held up a hand, his tone sarcastic, “I could never hope to surpass you. You're way out of my league.”
 
“Damn straight!” She huffed although she was grinning merrily at how much fun she was having. Then, after letting it die down to her usual smug smirk, she poked his shoulder with her claw. “So, now may I ask what happened?”
 
“Well, I felt terrible to do so, but I had to tell her that, although I was flattered, I didn't feel the same.” He sighed, looking genuinely guilty as he stared at the sand before them. “I've never seen someone look so heartbroken after I'd told them that.”
 
“But those were just crazy fangirls, not one of your crazy teammates.”
 
The corners of his mouth curved upwards a bit. “Because those are totally different types of crazy. One chases you around town to beg for you autograph and a date while the other will kill you for one wrong move!”
 
“You know, you weren't nearly this much fun when we were lost.”
 
He thought about that for a while. “I guess we can only handle each other in small doses.”
 
 
.
 
 
She saw him once more as the teams passed each other down the road, and she made sure to be noticeable as she called, “Hey, darling!” When his gaze landed on her, Lady Weavile waved daintily at him before blowing him a kiss, winking mischievously. She watched him roll his eyes at her antics, but she was more interested in the furious look that came across the Roserade's face behind him. Oh, that glower could kill a Wingull on sight! Snickering behind a claw haughtily, she was brought out of her taunting phase to notice that her teammates were watching her curiously. Frowning, she asked them, “What are you two staring at?”
 
“. . . Nothing, but . . .” The Arbok shifted his gaze between the girls of the group. “You've been keeping an awful lot of attention on Team Raider'sssss Gallade, isssss all.”
 
“And it looks a bit weird,” Toxi added, earning both of them sour glares from their leader.
 
Lady Weavile scoffed. What were these two idiots thinking? “I'll have you know,” she told them sternly, “that I am simply annoying him because I can. He's an easy target, you know, since he doesn't fight back.” When they didn't seem to be convinced, she scowled at their suspicions. “What?
 
Corvax looked down at the road they traversed, journeying away from the subject of their conversation. “It'sssss jussssst . . . we've compared our lassssst few missionsssss, and they all have gone near or even alongssssside Team Raider'sssss.”
 
She waved them off. “Coincidence.”
 
“And we saw you sitting on the beach talking to him a couple of times,” Toxi confessed, once again earning her leader's glower.
 
Her tone was as bitter as her breath was becoming in preparation of an Icy Wind. “Why were you guys spying on me?”
 
“We thought you were taking our relationship as a bad thing when you left . . . and then when I followed to apologize I saw you both there.”
 
Her claws clenched in fury as she imagined the two snickering behind a bush. Those were private conversations! They weren't supposed to be watching me! Where's my respect? I'm their leader, dammit! For some reason, she felt they had stumbled upon some sort of secret she had had fun hiding, and that made her angry as hell. It had been nice talking to Rain, thinking they were the only two that knew about their meetings. And what if Melody knows? For some reason, she didn't like that.
 
She pointed a curved claw at them in anger. “You both eavesdropped on my private conversations with another leader?” Her voice had fallen so low and threatening in her Blizzard-strength wrath, it was as if she was a totally different Weavile.
 
“W-we watched!” The serpent looked frightened and nearly choked on his hissing, his tail shaking spastically. “We didn't lisssten!”
 
They had stopped at this point, just standing in the middle of the road where no one would be passing for half an hour at least. Almost ready to cause them incredible pain, she tried to control her anger as best as she could while at the same time thinking things through logically. She closed her eyes and took a few deep breaths, feeling the sting of a half-formed Icy Wind pulled back down her throat. Finally, her eyes snapped open, making them visibly wince in fear, and her claw returned to point at them again.
 
“I see you two cannot trust me enough to let me lead you properly.” Her tone was cold and indifferent, hiding her acid fury well except for the visible shaking in her shoulders. “If you would like to redeem yourselves by trusting me again, I'll be waiting at the base.” She turned on her heel to retrace their steps the winding way they had just traveled, her pace swift as she refused to let herself listen to them or be tempted to look back. Although she wouldn't like to admit it, she was hurt by their actions, and until she felt like forgiving them she wasn't going to be a part of the team.
 
“W . . . wait!” She heard the Drapion's desperate pleas but did not turn her head or even acknowledge her presence. Soon, her shouts faded away to complete silence, and only after five minutes of it she did she dare to look behind her again.
 
The road looked empty.
 
It was only when she saw Treasure Town in the distance that she realized how long she had been walking, but even then she just took the next turn towards beach and continued onwards. Her feet were in excruciating pain from being abused, but she didn't care at the moment; walking helped work off the extra steam she had developed when given time to think about how angry she was.
 
There wasn't even words to describe how pissed she was. All thoughts were jumbled and distorted into images and sounds and half-formed ideas that couldn't take a real shape before they were smashed in her fury. The idea that they could dare spy on her, when she took care not to pry into their private matters-oh, it annoyed her to no end! She couldn't work with them now, definitely not, especially with her sudden urge to Icy Wind something. When she felt the pleasantly softer sand underfoot, that something became a poor innocent palm tree that exploded when the water inside of it froze so quickly.
 
“Those-those bastards!” She took a shard of the bark and threw it across the water, watching it flutter down before being sucked up by the waves. They were rough in low tide, seeming to perfectly fit her mood as she kicked the sand heatedly. “After all I do for them, and they just want to-want to spy and sneak behind my back and-ugh!” She tossed a poor coconut at another trunk, the fragments flying so fast they gave her a few scratches. She felt the need to destroy things, to create a sand castle before stomping it into nothingness, to completely annihilate something for no reason whatsoever. All of her security after their confession was shattered like the illusion it was-she couldn't even trust her own team anymore. There was so much anger and rage and hurt behind her actions, it was no wonder she didn't realize until too late that he was there.
 
She had whirled around to break something else only to collide into him and feel his hands grab her shoulders firmly. Snarling, she tried to shove him away to no avail, and her eyes snapped up to burn holes into his. “Let go of me!”
 
He didn't drop her gaze. He ignored her order to instead ask determinedly, “What's wrong?” His voice was calm, soothing, and logical-everything she didn't want to hear right now. She was done with being calm, done being soothed, done with any and all logic. If anything, he made her angrier.
 
She wriggled out of his grip and stepped back, hissing, “Traitors!” Her eyes were narrowed almost to slits, causing her face to look scared and yet threatening at the same time. “The both of them! How dare they?!”
 
Rain took a step forward but stopped when she backed away from him. “Who? What did they do?” He refused to let her funnel her anger into violence, and so she turned on him.
 
Bastards!” She leapt forward, ready to hit him with a Dark Pulse point-blank, but he managed to dodge it in time. “They dare spy on me?” She swung her claws only to have them deflected by his elbow-blades. “Traitors! Betrayers!” She gave a primitive growl and resorted to punching at him, her jabs getting quicker in succession as her rage increased. “Those-those bastards!
 
In the end, he seemed to have switched tactics, instead letting her take her anger out on him as she punched and punched with nothing but brute force. She swung her fists until her arms grew tired, and then she threw herself forward and pummeled his chest until her hands were as sore as her feet. Exhausted, she gave one last pound before stumbling backwards into a palm tree, gripping it desperately to support herself. Leaning against it and panting heavily, she found her claws digging into the bark as she closed her eyes to stop them from watering. After all of that yelling, her voice could only just rise above a whisper now. “How? How could they?”
 
When she received no answer, she collapsed onto the sand, curling up into a ball and trying not to let her body quiver too much.
 
 
.
 
 
Lots of dragon-y love,
~DL (`Dragon Lover')