Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Team Rocket Strikes Back! An AAML Story ❯ Chapter 2: Love and Revenge ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2: Love and Revenge
 
A/N: (2/27/2005) Another redone chapter, trying to make this “in character” as possible.
 
Two days later, our heroes are just about at Blackthorn City, because they have traveled swiftly down the road, mostly because of Ash's excitement about being only one badge away from having them all from Johto. Ash and Misty have now gotten back to having small talk with each other and with Brock. They're about one mile from the city at this point in time. In the meantime, Team Rocket has already got to Cerulean City and set up their selective explosives.
 
Jessie: I'll call the boss and tell him we're ready to go!
 
James: First, let's get back to our base, so we'll be safe when the stuff goes off.
 
Meowth: Right!
 
Team Rocket continues back up the road they were on for about half a mile, then turn around and look back at Cerulean City.
 
James: (Complaining) I think we're far enough away! Let's hit it!
 
Jessie: (Annoyed) Okay, okay...! Do you think we're far enough away, Meowth?
 
Meowth: (Excitedly) Yes! If we go any further away, we won't be able to hear the excitement over there. We'll be fine. Dial the boss on the cell phone we picked up at the base and let's get this show on the road!
 
Jessie: Ok. (Dials a number into the phone) Boss, this is Jessie. We're ready to go.
 
Giovanni: Excellent! Go ahead and set off the explosives! After a little while, continue on to Pewter City and start to set up for a similar attack. Call me again when you finish setting up there. (Hangs up phone).
 
Jessie: (Excited) We got the signal! James, push the button!
 
James: (Reaching for a remote control that he has been carrying in his pocket) Ok, Jess and Meowth, here we go! (Pushes the one and only button on the remote control). After the explosions are done, let's go to our next site of destruction!
 
Explosions begin to be heard in the distance. Thick black smoke fills the air as small fires begin and buildings start to collapse into rubble. About 50% of Cerulean City collapses into rubble before the explosive carnage comes to end. Sounds of sirens fill the air as the police and fire departments start to fan out to help out people who may have been hurt and also to put out a few buildings that caught on fire.
 
Fire fighters start to put out the fires, aided by a few Squirtle that they have recently hired to help them put out fires. The police expect to find many people and Pokemon injured when they arrive at the various collapsed buildings, but find no one. The police are puzzled by this turn of events, but are happy at the same time. "All of these buildings were thankfully unoccuppied, but I wonder why they collapsed and exploded like this?" exclaims Officer Jenny.
 
The fire chief finds the same thing after put out the fires- no people or Pokemon in the rubble or in the homes that were burning. He takes his fire truck and goes to meet with Officer Jenny.
 
Fire Chief: (Loudly) What's going on? Half the town just collapsed, but no one was hurt!
 
Officer Jenny: (Also speaking loudly) I don't know what happened. It was quiet and then BOOM! Thankfully no one was hurt!
 
Fire Chief: Let me know if any new fires start up. I'm going back to the station... and I'm gonna try and figure out what the heck happened!
 
Officer Jenny: Okay, go ahead. I'll be here and I'll give you a call if I see anything.
 
The Fire Chief drives off, heading back to the Fire Station. Misty's sisters- Daisy, Lily, and Violet approach Officer Jenny. All three of them had rushed to the center of the town where the police were after all of these explosions.
 
Daisy: Officer Jenny, what's going on? We were like training and then we heard this loud noise, so we went to go check it out and...
 
Lily: Saw like, total destruction.
 
Violet: Yeah, like total carnage. Is everyone okay?
 
Officer Jenny: We had a few small fires and a lot of our town buildings just exploded and collapsed. Thankfully no people or Pokemon were hurt in all of this chaos.
 
The last charge that Team Rocket planted goes off- the Cerulean City gym starts to smoke and shake.
 
Daisy, Lily and Violet: (All together) What was that? (All three look and see their gym smoking) Let's go!
 
Officer Jenny: Do you ladies need a lift over there?
 
Daisy: (Anxiously) Sure, but hurry!
 
Officer Jenny: (Yelling into her walkie-talkie) I need a police vehicle here pronto! There has been an explosion at the gym and I need some extra transportation!
 
Officer at station: Ok. We'll send a vehicle over, pronto!
 
Officer Jenny: Transportation is on the way! I hope the Pokemon at the gym are ok.
 
Lily: I hope so, too.
 
Violet: When we get there, let's get them out and make sure that they are all there and are ok.
 
Daisy: Right, sis.
 
A police car comes up and parks beside Officer Jenny.
 
Officer Jenny: Let's go! Hop in!
 
Lily, Daisy, and Violet hop into the police car, which speeds down the street and right to the Cerulean City gym. They arrive and find all of Daisy, Lily, and Violet's Pokemon outside of the gym just sitting there. The gym behind them, however, is a total ruin. Lily, Daisy, and Violet rush out of the car in a frantic panic... but there is a moment of relief a moment later...
 
Daisy: (Relieved) All the Pokemon are here and are ok!
 
That moment soon ends as Lily points out what the Cerulean Gym now looks like.
 
Lily: (Sadly) But look...
 
Violet: (Angrily) The gym, is like totally ruined! (Yelling) Who did this!?
 
Officer Jenny: (Who has since stepped out of the car) Probably the same people who hit the rest of the town. This is very weird. A lot of buildings were destroyed, but no one was hurt. What kind of people are we dealing with here?
 
Officer Jenny looks down at the rubble and finds something. “What's this?” She stoops down and picks up the note.
 
Officer Jenny: It's a note of some kind! (Begins to read the contents aloud) This attack was brought on because one of your fair citizens has time and time again interfered with Team Rocket and its affairs. Let this serve as warning to those who oppose Team Rocket...
 
Daisy: (Angrily) Team Rocket! Those cowards!
 
Lily: (Also angry) If I find out who planted these bombs, I'll...
 
Violet: Really sock it to 'em!
 
Officer Jenny: I'm going to take this note to the station to be analyzed. Let me know if you need any help. (She gets into the police car and drives off)
 
Daisy, Violet, and Lily turn again to the ruins of the gym, and stare in utter disbelief at it. News reporters come up and interview them about the gym and what happened to it and the rest of the city.
 
Ash, Misty, and Brock have just entered Blackthorn City. Some people are running to and fro in the streets. Cries of "Oh my" and "Let me see that on your T.V., I don't believe it" are heard. Ash stops a young man to ask what all of the commotion is all about.
 
Ash: (Confused and also curious about what he sees going on around him) What's going on? Why is everyone running around here?
 
Misty: (Curious as well) Yeah, what's happening?
 
Young Man: Didn't you hear? There have been some major explosions and a town was devastated. The town was in Kanto. It just came on the news.
 
Brock: (To himself) Kanto? (Out loud) Which town was that?
 
Young Man: I'm not sure, let me go and find out.
 
The young man walks down the street and speaks briefly with a young woman, then returns.
 
Ash: Well, what town was it that got hit by these explosions?
 
Young Man: The name of the town is Cerulean City.
 
Misty: (Loudly) Oh my God! Was anyone hurt?
 
Young Man: According to the news report, no people or Pokemon were hurt in the explosions. Half of the town and the gym was leveled to the ground, though.
 
Misty: (Starts to breath heavily) Any info on who did this?
 
Young Man: A few theories, they didn't say anything concrete.
 
Misty: Thanks for your help...
 
Young Man: No problem. (He walks down the street and out of sight)
 
Misty: (Almost screaming) I gotta get back home! (Grabs Ash's shirt) I hope my sisters and their Pokemon are ok! (Also grabs Brock's shirt) Let's go! I gotta see what happened to the gym as well!
 
Ash: All right, let's go. (Puts his hands on Misty's shoulders and speaks) Relax, Misty. We'll go back to Goldenrod City, so we can get on the Magnet Train straight back to Saffron City, then we can go to Cerulean, ok?
 
Misty starts to calm down a little bit. She walks a few steps forward and turns around to face Ash and Brock.
 
Brock: We'll get you back home as soon as possible!
 
Ash: (Trying his best to be nice, he has been trying to apply some of the advice he read in the magazine, especially now in this time of crisis) Yeah! You know we are here for you, Misty!
 
Misty: (Softly) Thank you guys. (Pats Ash playfully on the head with her right hand and then starts to speak sweetly) And thank you, Ash, for calming me down.
 
Ash: (Starting to blush) Uh... no problem... let's get going!
 
Ash, Misty, and Brock start back down the road back to Goldenrod City. Pikachu, who had been sleeping in Ash's backpack, wakes up along the way. Ash explains to him what has happened and Pikachu nods. Togepi also wakes up just after they leave Blackthorn City. Misty smiles and takes Togepi out of the backpack, talks to it for a while, and puts it back in the backpack. Togepi senses that something is wrong with Misty, but chooses to ignore that feeling and just goes back to sleep.
 
Ash, Misty, and Brock make great time getting back to Goldenrod City, but it takes a while to get back to Goldenrod City. On the way, Ash and Brock talk to Misty and comfort her. Ash is especially nice and supportive to Misty. After four days of walking and catching various rides, they arrive in Goldenrod City, just as the sun sets. They walk over to the train station and talk to the conductor. He also has heard about what happened and offers a free ride to and from Goldenrod City. He says that the next train leaves in the morning and that they should get some rest. Ash, Misty, and Brock thank the conductor and walk over to the Pokemon Center and stay overnight there. Ash and Brock go right to sleep, but Misty is restless and unable to sleep. After a while, Ash gets up to look for a midnight snack.
 
Ash: (Noticing Misty is still awake) You ok, Misty?
 
Misty: (Sounding sad) I'm...ok. I just hope everyone is ok.
 
Ash: (Sits down next to Misty on the bed) Don't worry. We'll be there tomorrow and we'll go and make sure everyone is ok.
 
Misty: How can we be sure, Ash? (Starts to cry) There was so much damage done to the area that only helicopters can really get into the city right now.
 
Ash: You're right- I have no way to be sure. (Puts his hand on her shoulder) But I have a gut feeling that they're all right. (Ash gets up and gets a tissue and wipes the tears off of Misty's face) It'll be ok, Misty, I promise.
 
Misty: (Turns her head and looks at Ash and flashes him a lovely smile) Thanks, Ash. I don't know what I'd do with out you...
 
Ash: (Blushing profusely) (Stutters) T...Thanks. I'll see, you in the morning, ok?
 
Misty: Alright. (Winks at Ash) Thank you, my friend. I just hope you are right, Ash.
 
Ash: I hope so too.
 
Ash goes back to his bed and goes to sleep. Misty stays awake for a few more minutes thinking to herself.
 
Misty: (Speaking quietly to herself) Why was he so caring just a minute ago towards me? He DEFINETLY must feel the same way I do. I also made him blush when I flashed that smile... I think that magazine was right. Ash definitely likes me as more then a friend... (Misty continues to talk to herself as she drifts into sleep).
 
The next morning, Ash, Misty, and Brock are up bright and early to catch the first train to Saffron City. Ash presents the tickets to the conductor and all three get on board the train.
 
Ash: This is kinda exciting; I've never been on a train like this before!
 
Brock: Yeah, neither have I. I heard that this train is supposed to run at 350 Mph, that's really fast!
 
Misty: (Agitated) The faster the better! I wanna get home!
 
They all sit down at a table on the train and soon the train begins to leave the station. All three teens and Pikachu look out the window as the scenery starts to pass by faster and faster... and soon becomes a blur.
 
Ash: I can't believe how fast we are going!
 
Misty: I'll be home in no time! (Happily) Thank goodness we're close to Goldenrod City!
 
Brock: Yeah. We'll be arriving in Saffron really shortly.
 
Thirty minutes go by. Ash and Pikachu are staring out of the train window, still looking at the scenery. Brock has fallen asleep and is talking to himself, occasionally saying the word "Joy". Misty is just sitting down on a couch, quietly thinking to herself- thinking about what happened in Cerulean. She has a deeply concerned and worried look on her face, Ash turns to look at her and immediately is concerned and worried about her.
 
Ash: (Trying his best to cheer her up) Hey, Misty, don't worry. I'm sure your sisters and their Pokemon are okay.
 
Misty: (Sighs) Yeah Ash, I guess you're right.
 
Ash: We're about to arrive. (Pushes on Brock) Wake up! Wake up!
 
Brock: (Groggily) Huh? We're there?
 
The train pulls into the station. Ash, Misty, Brock and Pikachu get off and start rushing up the road from Saffron to Cerulean City. After a few hours of travel and a few rest breaks, they come to a hill that overlooks Cerulean City. Ash, Misty, Brock and Pikachu come to a stop before reaching the crest of the hill.
 
Brock: I'll run ahead to the police station and see if they've found anything new about what happened here? I'll also check out the gym and talk to Misty's sisters.
 
Pikachu: Pi! Pi!
 
Ash: You want to go and help Brock? Go ahead. I'll be with Misty. Misty and I will check out Cerulean and what happened for ourselves; right Misty?
 
Misty: (Softly) Sounds good Ash.
 
Brock: Talk to you in a little while. (Runs off into the city with Pikachu right behind him)
 
Ash: Come on, Misty. Let's go to the top of the hill and take a look.
 
Misty: (Quietly) Ash, I am afraid to look- I don't know if I can handle looking at my hometown being like this.
 
Ash: (Puts his right hand on her left shoulder) Come on, we'll look together.
 
Misty: (She gently pushes Ash's hand off of her shoulder, then grabs his hand to hold) Yeah, ok. Let's go. (Ash blushes for a moment)
 
Ash and Misty walk up to the top of the hill and look out at Cerulean City. Their memories of a clean and bustling city are replaced with the harsh reality that is now before them- charred and ruined buildings are mixed with undamaged buildings in a chaotic fashion. Rubble is strewn everywhere within half a mile of the city center. The top of the hill directly across the city is what now grabs Ash and Misty's attention. The Cerulean City gym once stood on that hill as a beacon to the city for those coming in from other cities... that location was now reduced to a giant pile of rubble. After seeing all of this, Ash is filled with a desire to find out who did this and why- it makes no sense to him. Misty, however, is filled with a different emotion- sorrow. She begins to shake and starts to cry- she is overcome with sadness because of seeing her hometown in ruins- the sight of her former gym in ruins only makes her even more sad and depressed.
 
Ash: (In a soft, gentle voice) Misty, come here. It'll be ok. I'm here for you... (Stretches his arms out in from of him)
 
Misty turns around and sees Ash's outstretched arms. She goes up to Ash and wraps her arms around him, holding him tightly. Ash gently closes his arms around Misty and silently holds her. Misty has her head over Ash's shoulder and continues to sob and cry, her teardrops falling on the ground and also on Ash's back.
 
Misty: (Sobbing) Why? Why?
 
Ash: (Softly speaking, while softly patting Misty on the back) I don't know, Misty. I don't know. But I promise to find out- no one hurts a best friend of mine and gets away with it.
 
Misty, after hearing this, pulls her self closer to Ash and begins to hold him even tighter than before. Her crying soon begins to subside.
 
Misty: (Whispering softly) Ash, hold me some more.
 
Ash is surprised by her comment but continues to hold her, enjoying the warm feeling of closeness in this tragic time. He can only hope that his comforting helps Misty get thru this... `Whoever hurt my dear Misty is going to pay' Ash thinks as he continues to hold Misty.
 
After thinking the thought stated above, Ash now begins to realize that he has a real love in his heart for Misty. He is being so comforting to her during this crisis in her life... these feelings are totally new to him. He has never cared and showed so much concern for one person before. Finally, Ash comes to the conclusion that he has a desire to care for and to protect Misty- as more then a friend. `I hope I can tell her that later... how much she really means to me...'
 
Misty is also thinking to herself as she is being held in Ash's arms. `He really does care for me! The way he has comforted me and calmed me down in the past few days proves it. He stretched out his arms to hold and comfort me after I started crying. I don't have to debate whether or not to express my true feelings to him anymore...'
 
Misty: (In a quiet tone of voice) Ash, thank you for comforting me in my time of need here. You're such a caring person and... (Takes a deep breath before speaking again) I wanna say that I really like you and I care for you. I was going to tell you my umm... true feelings on your birthday.
 
Ash: (Also in a quiet tone of voice) I was going to do the same thing on your birthday... I've really cared for you for a while now, but was afraid to say anything.
 
Misty: (Blushing as she speaks) You didn't have to be afraid, my dear Ash. I would have been delighted to hear that you liked me. I have really liked you for a long time now, but I didn't think you felt the same way. (Her head drops) I guess I was afraid, too. (She raises her head to look at Ash again).
 
Ash: (Looks Misty right in the eyes and also blushing) I... was afraid to say anything before, but now I can say that I not only really like you, but I also lo...
 
Brock and Pikachu come up to them, interrupting their conversation.
 
Brock: (Yelling) Yo! I have some info for you guys! Oh, and your sisters and their Pokemon are ok.
 
Pikachu: Pi, Pikachu!
 
Ash: (Releases his hold around Misty and puts his arms out, so he can have Pikachu jump into them) Come here, Pikachu!
 
Pikachu jumps into Ash's arms.
 
Ash: How are you doing? What did you and Brock find out?
 
Pikachu: Pi, Pi!
 
Misty: Brock, any new information about what happened?
 
Brock: Officer Jenny found this note. (Holds up note) (Yelling) It's from Team Rocket- they destroyed this city!
 
Misty: (Loudly) What!? Let me see that! (Misty grabs the note from Brock and reads aloud to Ash and Brock) Seems like these explosions were an act of revenge for interfering with Team Rocket... but I'm the only one from Cerulean City to have really interfered with Team Rocket.
 
Ash: Maybe they wanted to get back at you- but why only you and not the rest of us? We all caused `em trouble.
 
Misty: (Sighs) I don't know, Ash. At least no one was hurt.
 
Brock: Let's all go and talk to Misty's sisters and find out if they have heard anything new. All we can do at this point is to help rebuild and then later we can go and try find Team Rocket.
 
Misty: I don't know if I want to go down there...
 
Ash: (Puts his right hand into Misty's left hand and holds it) Let's go together. I'll be right here.
 
Misty: Ok, lets go.
 
Ash and Misty walk down to the city hand in hand, with Brock and Pikachu leading the way. They talk to Officer Jenny and then speak with Misty's three sisters. Brock notices the hand holding and realize that the two must have confessed their true feelings to each other while he was gone. Some distance away Jessie, James, and Meowth are planting explosives in Pewter City. After a little while, they're finished and proceed down the road to Viridian City a short distance. The three want to be far enough away from the town to avoid getting hurt themselves.
 
Jessie: I'm calling the boss again! We're all ready for explosion set two!
 
James: Go ahead, Jess. I can't wait to hear all of the explosions!
 
Meowth: Come on, hurry up and call so we can begin, hehe!
 
Jessie: All right, here we go! (Dials up Giovanni's number on the phone) We're ready to proceed with the next set of explosions, Boss.
 
Giovanni: Excellent! You may proceed. I've already gotten word about the first explosion... the populace was quite stunned. When you're done with set two, starting heading for Pallet Town and set up the last set of bombs. Once again, phone me when you're ready down there. (Hangs up phone)
 
Jessie: We got the signal again. James, hit it!
 
James: Hehe. Let's do it! (Pulls out the remote control from his pocket)
 
Meowth: (Excitedly) Push it! Push it!
 
James: Here we go! (Pushes the button)
 
Smoke and fires start to appear as explosions rock (no pun intended) Pewter City. The charges used this time were larger, due to the heavy-duty rock material used to construct homes in Pewter City. This time, the gym starts to rumble and collapse at the same time as the rest of the city. After about 30 seconds, the explosions end. A good portion of the city is rubble, and there was once again no injury to people of the city or their Pokemon. Team Rocket surveys the destruction for a moment and then runs off towards their next destination, Pallet Town.
 
Down in the streets below, chaos has broken out. Officer Jenny and other police officials are trying to survey the damage and keep the people from going into the rubble or getting hurt. The small fires that had started as a result of the explosions now fade out, from lack of fuel, since most homes here were made of rock-material. Brock's father, Flint, rushes from his house to the gym. He stops in front of it; his expression on his face is that of utter disbelief. He runs back into town to talk to Officer Jenny.
 
Flint: Do you know what hit our town? My gym is in ruins!
 
Officer Jenny: I have no idea what happened. All of the sudden there was this “BOOM!” and there went the homes and the gym, just like that.
 
Flint: Who could have done something like this? (Pauses) Was anybody hurt in the explosions?
 
Officer Jenny: No, thankful not. The only thing that happened was those buildings collapsing. (Thinks for a moment) What just happened here sounds similar to what happened in Cerulean City! Let me call my sister there and find out! (Calls up Officer Jenny in Cerulean City on the videophone)
 
Pewter Officer Jenny: Hey, sis, we just had a series of explosions that leveled houses and the gym, but no one was hurt. Is that the same thing that happened over there?
 
Flint: (Leaning over to speak on the phone) Do you know who did this?
 
Cerulean Officer Jenny: I think so. There was a note from Team Rocket in the rubble of the gym. Did you look in them rubble of your gym?
 
Flint: No, not yet. Should I go over there and see if there is anything to be found?
 
Cerulean Officer Jenny: I would. Go and check it out, and then let me know if you find anything. (Hangs up the phone)
 
Flint: (Turns around and speaks to Officer Jenny) I'll go check that out, I'll let you know if I find anything...
 
Pewter Officer Jenny: Sounds good to me. (Flint leaves)
 
While the Pewter City conversation was going on, back in Cerulean City, our heroes have gone down to the police station to find out if Officer Jenny has any more information. They arrive and are forced to wait outside on a couch because Officer Jenny is inside talking on the phone. Time passes and Misty lies down on the couch and falls asleep. Ash and Brock start a conversation to pass the time.
 
Ash: (Looking down at Misty sleeping) I hope she'll be ok. She looks totally burned out.
 
Brock: Don't worry, Ash. She'll been fine. Misty has both us to take care of her... but I think she'll rely on you more. (Nudges Ash)
 
Ash: (Blushing) Yeah, you're right Brock. Despite our fighting and stuff, she really is a caring person and I do like her, and now she knows how I feel.
 
Brock: I sorta noticed that, especially when I came back up that hill and saw you two holding each other like that.
 
Misty starts to wake up, stopping the conversation. She sits up and stretches, then begins to talk to Ash and Brock.
 
Misty: (Looks at a nearby clock) Wow, we've been here a while- and Officer Jenny is still in there. They must have found something new or important...
 
Ash: I don't know. Let's go knock on the door.
 
Ash, Misty, and Brock get up and walk to the door and knock on the door. A voice tells them to come in.
 
Officer Jenny: This is terrible!
 
Ash: What is wrong, Officer?
 
Misty: You find any new info on what happened here?
 
Officer Jenny: No, nothing new about our city. Team Rocket was responsible, there's no doubt about it. I'm really troubled about something I just heard from my sister in Pewter City.
 
Brock: (Instantly worried at the mention of his home town) What did you hear?
 
Officer Jenny: There were a series of explosions that ruined Pewter City- exactly the same as what happened here. Thankfully, no one was hurt and the Pokemon are okay...
 
Brock: (Yelling) What!? Pewter City got hit, too?
 
Misty: This is insane! I bet it was Team Rocket again. Officer Jenny, did your sister find a note from Team Rocket, like we did in the gym's rubble?
 
Officer Jenny: She said that Flint, the gym leader, went to go and check that out right now.
 
Brock: (Yelling) Come on, guys! Let's go to Pewter City and see what happened!
 
Brock runs out of the room and out of the police station, and then starts to run west out of town. Ash and Misty have sweatdrops because he forgot that all of their Pokemon were with Misty's sisters.
 
Ash: I guess we'd better hurry and get our Pokemon back from your sisters and catch up with Brock.
 
Misty: Yeah. Let's go, Ash.
 
Ash and Misty run over to the remains of the Cerulean City gym, where Misty's sisters are. They exchange a few words and say that they'll stay in touch to see what's going on. Ash and Misty get all of the Pokemon back and then sprint off together towards Pewter City, trying to catch up with Brock.
 
To be continued in Chapter 3- Pewter City and Pallet Town Revisited