Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Team Rocket Strikes Back! An AAML Story ❯ Chapter 6: On the Run ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 6: On the Run
 
A/N: (3/4/2005) Added some new lines and revised some other lines.
 
 
After a loud, deafening explosion, police begin to scramble to go and check out the site of the blast. The situation is chaotic, people are running around everywhere, afraid for their very lives.
 
Duplica: (Watching all of the police driving down the road) I wonder what just exploded? All of the police seem to be headed down the road we just came in on... (A sickening realization suddenly comes upon her as she realizes that it may be her Imite House that was blown up) Oh no...
 
Misty: I have no idea where the blast came from; maybe we should go and check it out.
 
Ash: Come on, let's go and see for ourselves.
 
Brock: (Noticing the depressed look on Duplica's face) Come on, Duplica. Let's go and see what happened... and if worse comes to worse, we're here for you. (Puts his hand on her shoulder)
 
Duplica: (On the verge of tears) Thanks, Brock. Let's go. (All four of them get on their bikes and bike back towards the Imite House.)
 
After some intense biking, they arrive back at Duplica's house. However, about 500 yards before the house, the police have set up a roadblock. Billowing smoke seems to be coming from what remains of Duplica's Imite House. Officer Jenny notices the group at the roadblock and decides to investigate.
 
Officer Jenny: Stop! What are you kids doing down here?
 
Duplica: (Very concerned) What happened here? Is my Imite House still there?
 
Officer Jenny: (Apologetically) Oh, sorry. I forgot it was you, Duplica. (Sighs) Unfortunately, your Imite House has been... destroyed.
 
Duplica bursts into tears. Ash and Misty talk to her and try to console her.
 
Brock: Who would do something like this? (Even as he asks this question, he has a feeling in his heart of who did this)
 
Officer Jenny: We're checking it out now, but it looks like it may have been Team Rocket again.
 
Brock: I had a feeling... (Turns toward Duplica) Duplica, I'm really sorry about what happened. Don't worry, you'll make it through this, just like the three of us did earlier this year. (Duplica runs up to Brock) We're here for you.
 
Duplica: (Still crying, but not as much) Thanks, Brock. Will you come with me to see what's left over there?
 
Brock: Sure. (Turns to talk to Officer Jenny) Can we go and see what's left of her Imite House?
 
Officer Jenny: I suppose, the area has been secured. Go ahead. (Duplica and Brock leave, continuing down the road to the former location of the Imite House) Are you two staying here?
 
Ash: Yeah. We'll wait for them to come back. You guys think it was Team Rocket again?
 
Misty: Seems like it.
 
Officer Jenny: It fits their pattern of explosions, but why here? This isn't a city, and she had few dealings with them as far as I know.
 
Ash: I'm not sure. We did have a bit of fun beating Team Rocket here... (Smiles)... three years ago. (Has flashback to the Ditto's Mysterious Mansion Episode)
 
Misty: (Also remembering the events of three years ago, in particular, the dressing up as Team Rocket by Ash, herself, Brock, and Duplica) I remember that as well, Ash. We all dressed up as Team Rocket, and sorta mocked their motto, just before they tried to steal Duplica's Ditto and escape.
 
Author's note: I would recommend watching Episode 35, Ditto's Mysterious Mansion, or picking up the Pikachu Party video cassette (which has it as the 2nd episode) to get the true picture of the humorous scene where they were dressed up as Team Rocket, so you know what I am describing above.
 
Officer Jenny: That was a long time ago, it's hard to believe they would still hold a grudge for that long, and then get the materials and the guts to do this. (Her cell phone starts to ring, she answers it and begins a short conversation, and then hangs up)
 
Misty: Any news from the site of the bombing?
 
Officer Jenny: They found a pokeball, and they opened it up, a piece of paper came out. I'm sorry, I have to go and check on this. You two wait here, ok?
 
Misty: No problem. (Officer Jenny leaves)
 
Ash: I'm going to give my mom a call and tell her what happened here. (Pulls out his new Pokedex, and pushes the cell phone button, and begins to talk)
 
Back in Pallet Town, Delia Ketchum rushes to the phone.
 
Delia: Coming! (Picks up the phone) Who is it?
 
Ash: It's me, mom. How are you?
 
Delia: I'm fine, dear. I thought I heard a loud noise a little while ago, did something happen?
 
Ash: Yeah, mom. There was another bombing, and it looks like it could be Team Rocket again. They bombed Duplica's Imite House and leveled it to the ground.
 
Delia: That's terrible! No one was hurt, right?
 
Ash: Thankfully, no. Duplica and her two Dittos were with us in Cerulean City when the bomb went off.
 
Delia: (Breathes sigh of relief) Thank goodness. What are you guys going to do now?
 
Ash: I'm not sure. When Brock and Duplica come back, we'll give you a call and let you know what our plans are.
 
Delia: Sounds good. Call me, okay? Bye, Ash. (Hangs up the phone)
 
Ash: Bye, mom. (Pushes off button on Pokedex)
 
Misty: What did she say?
 
Ash: She just asked what happened and if anyone was hurt. I'm supposed to call her back in a little while, after we talk with Brock and Duplica, and see what everyone's plans are.
 
Misty: Sounds good. (Turns her head, and sees Brock and Duplica coming down the road towards them) Hey, Ash, here they come now. (Noticing the look on Duplica's face) She looks a lot better, she is laughing at something.
 
Ash: I guess Brock was able to cheer her up. That's great. Here they come.
 
Brock: (Walking up to Ash and Misty, with Duplica right next to him) Sorry we took so long.
 
Misty: No problem. Ash just called his mom while we were waiting, and she wants to know what our plans are.
 
Brock: (Turning to Duplica) What do you want to do, Duplica?
 
Duplica: (Thinks about her answer for a second, then speaks) I think I want to go with you guys on your journey. There's nothing here for me now. The police found a note in a Pokeball, and it was Team Rocket again. Let me go with you three... (Grabs Brock's hand) Please?
 
Brock: (Gets beet red) Sure... anything for you.
 
Misty: No problem, Duplica. We can always use another person, and besides... (Chuckles to herself) I don't think Brock would take no as an answer, anyway...
 
Brock: (Returning to reality) Misty!
 
Misty: Just kidding, Brock.
 
Ash: (Puts his hand out) Welcome to the group. (Shakes Duplica's hand)
 
Duplica: Thanks! But the big question is, where do we start looking for Team Rocket? This attack was different from the last ones, and it didn't fit any pattern I could think of. The only thing that is common to all four bombings is... that all four of us have interfered in their plans several times.
 
Misty: Do we have any other information on Team Rocket's whereabouts?
 
Brock: I was talking to one of the police officers that I know, and he said that he ran into to some people yesterday. He said that the group may have seen Team Rocket in the Cinnabar Islands.
 
Ash: (Excitedly) Well, what are we waiting for? Let's go and check it out, see if there any clues there. We have to start somewhere.
 
Misty: How are we going to get out there?
 
Duplica: I know a few people at the port south of Pallet Town, I'm sure I can get something arranged for us.
 
Brock: (Excitedly) That's great! We should stop back in Pallet Town on the way.
 
Ash: Yeah. I'm sure my Bayleef is probably wrecking Professor Oak's lab again. Besides, I think the Bayleef that I am training here is ready to go back to his original trainer. Hopefully he's recovered from that accident...
 
Misty: I'm sure he's ok. Let's stop by Professor Oak's lab, and then we can get our Pokemon teams organized, and Ash here can pick what six Pokemon he wants to take with him.
 
Duplica: Sounds good, but Misty, didn't you leave some Pokemon with your sisters a long time ago. I remember you mentioned it earlier today.
 
Misty: Oh yeah, that's right! My sisters can take care of my Starmie that I left a long time ago, since my Staryu recently evolved. I should get my Horsea back, though.
 
Ash: We could use all the Pokemon that we can get to help us. Misty, why don't you and I go back to Cerulean City and talk to your sisters, and hopefully they'll let you take your Horsea with. Brock and Duplica can head back to my mom's place, and then we'll meet up later. What do you guys think?
 
Brock: (Realizing the opportunity to talk to Duplica some more has presented itself) (Excitedly) Sure, sure, Ash! Sounds good! We'll catch you later, ok?
 
Ash: All right. You two get going. I'll call my mom and tell her to expect you two and then Misty and I later.
 
Duplica: See you guys later! (Brock and Duplica bike off in the direction of Pallet Town)
 
Ash: I hope that Brock doesn't get too distracted and get them lost or something.
 
Misty: (Playfully) Like you should talk, Mr. Ketchum.
 
Ash: (Getting angry) Misty!... I... uh (has numerous flashbacks of getting them lost and of Brock and Misty yelling at him- especially Misty) (Sighs)... well... uh, it's not going to happen anymore. I can figure out maps now, and besides... (Pulls out new Pokedex) We have this wonderful new prototype Pokedex from Professor Oak.
 
Misty: I was just kiddin', Ash. You don't have to feel down about what I said.
 
Ash: (Smiles) I'm not down, Misty. I was just playing along with your comment...
 
Misty: I oughta... (Grabs Ash- he braces himself for her next move)... give you a hug, Ash! You're getting better at figuring out when I'm joking with you and when I'm not! (Ash has a big sweatdrop)
 
Ash: I guess I am. (Gives Misty a hug) Let's get going, so we can get back to Pallet Town before it gets really late. (Looks her in the eye) We can talk later, okay?
 
Misty: (Feeling warm inside, she is really beginning to appreciate Ash's new outlook on life, especially about her) Sure, Ash. You're right, let's get going.
 
Ash and Misty bike up to Cerulean City and meet with Daisy, Lily, and Violet. They agree to let Misty take her Horsea back, and they quickly show Ash and Misty some of their new water Pokemon, that they use in their shows (Tentacool, Totodile, and Marill) In the meanwhile, Brock and Duplica are back in Pallet Town, at Delia Ketchum's house. They sit around and discuss recent events to pass the time until Ash and Misty arrive from Cerulean City. Brock's Pokedex starts to make a chirping noise.
 
Brock: What's that noise mean? (Opens up the pokedex to see a light blinking) Oh, its a phone call. (Pushes the button) Hello?
 
Misty: Brock? It's Misty. I just wanted to let you guys know that we're almost there, and we got dinner for everyone.
 
Brock: What did you guys pick up for dinner?
 
Misty: We're bringing back some of Cerulean City's world famous Deep Dish Pizza.
 
Brock: Sounds good, we'll be ready when you guys come in, so we can eat. See yah in a few. (Pushes off button)
 
Misty: Ok, Ash, they know were almost there. Now lets step on it!
 
Ash: You got it. (Ash and Misty zoom off on their bikes to the Ketchum residence)
 
Ash and Misty soon arrive at the Ketchum residence, where everyone else is waiting patiently for them. Ash and Misty quickly lock up their bikes and go inside with the pizza. After eating a wonderful dinner, Ash gives Professor Oak a call and asks to stop by tomorrow, so he can exchange some of his Pokemon and get his Bayleef back. Professor Oak agrees and tells Ash to come by after 9 AM tomorrow. In the meantime, Duplica has struck up a conversation with Delia.
 
Delia: I'm really sorry about what happened to your Imite House. I had heard of the shows you held there, but I never got a chance to go out there.
 
Duplica: It's ok. (Pauses) The important thing is that no one got hurt. Team Rocket has truly gone nuts.
 
Delia: I couldn't agree more. They spent the better part of the last three years chasing after my son's Pikachu. I guess they have finally stopped that endeavor... only to move on to doing even more horrible things. Listen, if you want to stay here tonight, you're more than welcome to. I can set up another bed in the front room, no problem.
 
Duplica: (Smiling) Thanks a lot.
 
After a short time, everyone gets ready for bed. The long bike ride has burned out Ash, Misty, Brock, and Duplica. Misty falls asleep first, then Ash goes upstairs and passes out. Delia also turns in for the night, leaving only Brock and Duplica still awake, chatting in the kitchen... as Team Rocket arrives at a secret base in the Orange Islands, and begins to set up their plans for the next bombing.
 
In the kitchen of the Ketchum residence, Brock and Duplica are talking to each other, Brock sitting on a chair on one side of the table, Duplica on the other.
 
Brock: (Trying not to be overly flirtatious) Duplica, I was just wondering, what have you been up to since we last saw you?
 
Duplica: Well, not too much. I was just running the Imite House, like I had been since I met you guys three years ago. A lot has happened in the last three years, and not all of it good.
 
Brock: (Moving his chair closer to hers) That's true, but look at the positive side. Ash has gone from a beginning trainer to an Orange Island champion, on his way to the top of the Johto league. Misty has really matured and become a truly skilled water Pokemon trainer. And I...
 
Duplica: You have become a great Pokemon trainer as well, at least that's what I heard.
 
Brock: (Blushing) Uhh... well, I guess you heard right. It's been quite an adventure traveling with those two, never knowing what was going to happen next.
 
Duplica: Sounds like fun, though. Traveling all over, battling other trainers, and having one adventure after another. (Sighs) I wish I could have had done some traveling or had some adventure like that.
 
Brock: (Moving his chair again, now sitting right next to Duplica) Hey, don't worry about that. You said you were going to come with us to find Team Rocket. That's going to be an adventure...
 
Duplica: (Smiles) You're right, Brock. I didn't even think of it that way. (Grabs Brock's hand) Thank you... (Turns and looks into Brock's eyes)... for everything that you have done, especially when you cheered me up this morning at the site of my old place.
 
Brock: (Turning red) Uh... no problem. It was my pleasure to help out an old friend of mine who was down... (Brock stops speaking as he gazes her into her eyes and gets lost in their beauty)
 
Duplica: (Realizing what Brock is doing) (Speaking softly) Brock... do you... you... love me?
 
With that, Brock almost faints. He had been waiting for a girl to honestly ask him that question for a long time. His body starts to go haywire... but he quickly takes a breath and calms himself down a little...
 
Brock: (Stuttering) Yeeeess, I do. (Shakes off the stuttering) I love you, Duplica.
 
Duplica: (Overwhelmed by emotion) Oh... Brock. (Puts her arms around him) I know you mean it, Brock. According to Misty and Ash, you hadn't been "Yourself" lately. That means you stopped flirtin' and hittin' on other women...
 
Brock: (Puts his arms around her) You're right. (Speaks softly) I feel the real deal with you. I knew something was there when I seen you again two days ago, I just didn't realize what it really was until now.
 
Duplica: (Resting her head on Brock's shoulder) Isn't it funny how tragedy can bring two people together? I mean, look at Ash and Misty.
 
Brock: (Softly) Yeah, the bombings ended up drawing them together, and now they are a really tight couple. Just like we...
 
Duplica: Could be... (Duplica pulls her head up off of Brock's shoulder and moves forward to give him a kiss, but at that moment, the chairs they are sitting on give way, and they tumble to the floor, with Duplica ending up on top of Brock)
 
In the next room, Misty is awaken by the noise, and groggily awakens.
 
Misty: (Walking towards the kitchen) Huh? What's going on in there? (Rubs her eyes)
 
Brock: (Realizing the situation and what could happen if Misty saw them like this) (Urgently) Uhh... quick, Duplica, get off of me and pretend to be doing something else in the kitchen, like making a snack or something.
 
Duplica: (Getting up quickly) Got it! (Brock also stands up)
 
Brock: (Starting up a pretend conversation as Misty enters the room) What did you want to drink? (Reaches for the refrigerator)
 
Misty: I thought I heard a crash in here. Everything ok? (Misty suspiciously scans the room)
 
Brock: No, nothing. We're fine. I accidentally knocked over some of the chairs, sorry if I disturbed you.
 
Duplica: Sorry, Misty. I came in the kitchen to get a snack, and Brock was in here, so we started talking...
 
Misty: No problem! See you guys in the morning. (Walks back into the living room)
 
Duplica: Whew! (Breathes sigh of relief) That was close! That would have been embarrassing if she would have caught us in that position, not to mention what she would have thought of us.
 
Brock: That's right. Too close. Duplica, I'm going to get some sleep, I'm pretty tired.
 
Duplica: (Looks up at the clock and notices that it is 12:15 AM) Yeah, it's getting kinda late. We were talking for a long time. (Looks at Brock) That was the best conversation I've had in a long time. Come here. (Puts her arms out)
 
Brock: (Stepping into Duplica's embrace) Good night. (Gives her a hug) See you in the morning, ok?
 
Duplica: (Blows him a kiss) Good night, Brock. Sweet dreams.
 
Brock walks out of the room and goes upstairs to get some sleep, despite all of the things that just entered his mind. Duplica remains standing in the same spot for several minutes, still thinking about all the had just happened, asking herself if she is dreaming, or did that really just happen? Finally, she walks out of the kitchen, gets ready for bed and then goes to sleep.
 
The next day finds Team Rocket continuing to assemble their bombs and other explosive devices for the next bombing.
 
Jessie: (Frustrated) Why is this taking so long?
 
James: Relax, Jessie. We have a lot more bombs to set up this time, and some of them are different, due to all of the jungle-type houses in this area.
 
Meowth: That's right. We gotta be extra careful here. The boss said last night that Team Rocket will soon be on the move again, and will rise from the shadows.
 
Jessie: (Loudly) Well, it's about time Team Rocket made some moves again, instead of keeping it low. You talked to the Boss, Meowth. Where are we off to next?
 
Meowth: Well... (Thinks for a second) I think it was some place near New Bark Town, in the Johto region.
 
James: (Curious) Really? We're going back over into the Johto area again?
 
Meowth: I guess the boss wants that region to "Know the Power of Team Rocket"- at least, that's how he put it.
 
Jessie: At least we don't have to wait somewhere or go hide again. That was hard, staying out of view of everyone...
 
James: I hope we don't have to do that again, either, Jess. But orders are orders...
 
Jessie: (Sighs) I guess you're right. Let's get back to work. I'm surprised the twerps haven't tried to find us, or search us out.
 
Meowth: Maybe they're busy doing something else and are too busy for revenge. I know if I was them, I would be after the people responsible.
 
Jessie, James, and Meowth continue to assemble various destructive devices. Back at the Ketchum residence, a pancake and sausage breakfast has been served and it's almost 9 AM.
 
To be continued in Chapter 6: On the Run Part 2