Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Team Rocket Strikes Back! An AAML Story ❯ Chapter 12: The Undiscovered Country ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 12: The Undiscovered Country
 
8/30/2005- I fixed a few lines, otherwise, it's the same chapter as before.
 
 
Thanks to Edgar, danny_171984, and salomon2 for prereading this chapter and giving me feedback. This chapter deals with some more mature stuff, but I will leave the rating at PG for the time being.
 
After being knocked unconscious, all five travelers (Ash, Misty, Brock, Duplica, and Pikachu) start to awaken a short while later. Ash rubs his eyes and looks around. The nearby oak tree and the meadow seen to be the same as before. Anything further out then half a mile from the tree, however, is slightly different then before. Misty catches on to this fact first...
 
Misty: (Squinting her eyes, which still have not recovered yet from earlier) Those trees... out in the distance... seen a lot smaller then before.
 
Duplica: (Standing up and look around) Yeah, they do look smaller. I wonder why?
 
Brock: (Brushing the dirt off of his pants) I don't know. I wonder what happened to us... we all passed out. There was that blue light everywhere and then... nothing.
 
Ash: Let's walk around and check it out! (Looks down at the ground) Are you okay, Pikachu?
 
Pikachu: (Making a peace sign) Pi-pikachu! (Hops onto Ash's shoulder)
 
Ash and the others grab their gear and start to walk away from the oak tree in the center of the meadow. After about ten minutes of walking, they reach the edge of the meadow. A large black line heads to the left and to the right, forming a circle around the meadow they were just in. They find a large hole in the ground, about 10 feet in diameter and depth, is just to the right of where the group has stopped.
 
Ash: (Following the line with his eyes) It looks like they're a lot of these holes around here... all of 'em are on this line here...
 
Misty: Ash, these trees look different then before. This is where we entered the meadow before... I remember more trees and they were a lot taller. (Notices a black metal marker to the south, next to the black line on the ground) Hey, what's that? (Points at the marker)
 
Duplica: Let's go see, Misty. (Turns to look at Ash and Brock) You two wait here, okay?
 
Duplica runs off with Misty to the nearby marker. Both of them start reading some of the writing on it, stop for a moment, and then faint. Ash and Brock run up to the marker to see what's wrong with their respective girlfriends'...
 
Ash: (Fanning Misty) Misty, wake up!
 
Pikachu: (Concerned) PIKA!!!
 
Brock: (Gently shaking Duplica) Wake up!
 
After a few moments, both girls regain consciousness. Ash looks at Misty's face, she looks like she's seen a ghost...
 
Ash: You okay, Misty?
 
Misty: (Shaking) Umm, Ash, r-read what that marker says and you'll see something ummm... interesting...
 
Brock: Duplica, you all right?
 
Duplica: (Clutching Brock's hand tightly) Brock, l-look at the marker and see if you notice what Misty and I did...
 
Brock and Ash walk up the marker and Brock reads the inscribed lines aloud...
 
The Great Fire of '03 Memorial Marker
 
This marker has been set up in memory of those who lost their lives on January 20th, 2003 fire in this area...
 
(A list of names follows, many of which are firefighters who were killed in fighting the blaze, which had reached tremendous proportions and threatened several towns)
 
At the bottom, a sliver plaque attracts Brock's attention...
 
"This plaque is dedicated to the memory of four young travelers who were seen in this area right before the blaze and were never heard from again. Their remains were never found, so it is assumed that the flames totally consumed them.
 
Brock
Misty
Ash Ketchum
Duplica
 
You will be missed... it is so sad when a young life is lost in such a way. May your souls rest in peace.
 
Dedicated by the citizens of Pallet Town, Cerulean City, and Pewter Town- headed by Delia Ketchum and Professor Samuel Oak. Dedicated on 2/20/2003."
 
Ash and Brock step away from the marker. Both are totally stunned by what they just read and know why the girls reacted like they did a few moments ago. Brock is the first to speak...
 
Brock: We're d-d-dead?
 
Ash: (Getting excited) What in the heck happened?
 
Misty: I don't know, Ash. We couldn't have been unconscious and invisible for a month, someone would have found us. The only answer that makes any sense is...
 
Duplica: (Continuing Misty's thought) We moved into the future...
 
Brock: (Skeptically) Time travel? Is that even possible?
 
Misty: (Pointing at the marker) It must be, that marker was not there when we came out of the forest and headed into the meadow. Look around us; all of the trees are smaller. That makes sense because, according to this marker, there was a huge forest fire in this area. Most of the trees in this area were burned and people died fighting the fire...
 
Ash: How far ahead did we go?
 
Duplica: No idea. That marker looks new, but it's made out of granite. That doesn't wear at all- the marker's condition won't help us with that one...
 
Misty: What should we do?
 
Brock: I think we should make out way back to Pallet Town and talk with Ash's mom and Professor Oak. They would be able to help us out the most...
 
Duplica: I think we should stop for a minute and take stock of what we have in our backpacks.
 
Ash: Okay...
 
Ash, Misty, Duplica, and Brock drop their backpacks down to the ground and start to look through them for supplies and other necessary things. After a few minutes of searching, they report to each other what they have...
 
Ash: I got my pokedex, some clothes, and a few pokeballs. I also got some batteries, a flashlight, and some snack bars. What about you, Misty?
 
Misty: Well... I got my pokedex, my clothes and a couple spare pokeballs. A few snacks for me and Togepi... (Take Togepi out of her backpack and places it in her lap) What do you have, Brock?
 
Brock: Pretty much the same as you, Misty. I got my pokedex, clothes, pokeballs, and some potions and elixirs. I have a bunch of instant meal packets and snack bars, plus some pokemon food, some coffee, and a thermos of hot chocolate. I also have some rope and a knife and our utensils. (Looks at Duplica) Duplica, your turn...
 
Duplica: I got some snacks and my own personal clothes and that pokedex and camera that Professor Oak gave me. After my Imite house burned down and I met you guys, I grabbed our old Team Rocket costumes from the wreckage. Some my own clothes and those costumes were the only things that I could find that survived...
 
Brock: You mean those costumes from three years ago, when we first met you?
 
Duplica: (Nodding her head) Yeah. I figured they might come in handy... and I didn't have many clothes left of my own. Who knows, we might find a use for them here...
 
Misty: Good point. (Stands up) Are you guys ready to go?
 
Brock: (Stands up) Let's get going!
 
Duplica: One second. (Grabs her camera out of her backpack) I'm gonna take a picture of that marker.
 
Ash: Good idea.
 
Duplica quickly snaps a picture of the marker. Ash stands up and Pikachu hops on his shoulder. The four travelers move out and head over to the main road. They are startled to find it much wider then it was before. A factory can be seen in the mountains to the north, at the end of a long, snaking road which heads steeply up the mountain. To the south, a small building can be seen in the distance...
 
Ash: (Taking the lead) Well, let's start walking south and head back to my place...
 
After a brisk ten-minute walk, the four travelers arrive at a gate and a guardhouse. None of the four can remember this being here before...
 
A moment later, a tall, menacing looking guard steps out of the guardhouse. He is dressed in a Team Rocket uniform and his appearance sends chills down the spines of all four teenagers. He looks them over and then begins to speak...
 
Guard: What are you kids doing here? I don't remember letting you through the gate- this is a restricted area...
 
Misty: (Making up a quick story) Umm... we were just umm... visiting that memorial marker. We're umm... related to some of the people that died in that fire...
 
All four teens think the same thing to themselves after Misty's last statement... 'I guess that's one way to put it...'
 
Guard: (Thinking about Misty's story) Is that so? That was one horrendous fire... we lost several of our agents in that blaze. (Starts to get nostalgic) It was soon after that fire that the Great War began... (Turns and looks at Ash) I'm sure you read about that in school, right kid?
 
Ash: (Bluffing) Ummm, yeah. Of course...
 
Guard: Good. You four move along now... and make sure you sign in next time! We can't have people wandering around this area.
 
Duplica: Sure, no problem.
 
All four teens heed the TR Guard and move along, heading south down the road towards New Bark Town. Two miles down the road, they head into the forest and duck behind some bushes...
 
Misty: That was close! I thought for sure we were in trouble there!
 
Ash: Thank goodness that guard bought your story... I wonder why that area was restricted?
 
Brock: Maybe it has something to do with that factory...
 
Duplica: Did you hear what that guard said? There was a "Great War" soon after that fire... I wonder what happened?
 
Misty: (Shaking her head) No idea.
 
All talking ceases for a moment as a large convoy of trucks pass by, heading north on the road towards the factory. Every truck that passes by has a large Team Rocket logo on the side of it...
 
Brock: You see that guys! All of those were Team Rocket trucks! I have a bad feeling...
 
Misty: I think we should keep a low profile on our way back and we should try to get back as quickly as possible.
 
Duplica: We should head for Goldenrod City, that city may still have the train line to Saffron City...
 
Ash: Good idea.
 
Pikachu: Pika-pi! PIKACHU-pi!
 
Ash: (Looking at Pikachu) What was that? (Ash nods his head) You're right...
 
Misty: What did he say?
 
Ash: He says that no one would recognize us, since we're "dead"... I don't think we have too much to worry about.
 
Misty: Fine, let's get moving!
 
Ash and company spend the rest of the day traveling down to road to Blackthorn City. As they travel south several convoys of trucks pass them. All five of them get more and more worried as they pass signs and billboards, all of them Team Rocket related. It seems like Team Rocket has grown a lot more powerful in the future... but how much? This question and more lurk in the minds of all of the travelers.
 
Just before sunset, the group arrives in Blackthorn City and heads to the local Pokemon Center. When they enter the building, the appearance inside takes them by surprise. Everything is colored in Team Rocket colors and has a darker tone to it. There is still a Nurse Joy, like usual; the group walks up to the desk and asks for two rooms...
 
Nurse Joy: Can I help you?
 
Brock: Yes, we need two rooms, please...
 
Nurse Joy: Are you four Pokemon trainers?
 
Misty: Yeah, we are.
 
Nurse Joy: Okay- you get a discount then. That's be $25 for each room... so your total is $50.
 
Brock: Um, when did they start charging to stay at the Pokemon Center?
 
Nurse Joy: (Chuckling) They've been doing that for over 20 years, ever since Team Rocket took over this area. (Somberly) It's a shame that I have to charge trainers... but those are the rules. I don't like it all...
 
Duplica: (Taking $50 out of her wallet) Here you go. (Places the money on the table)
 
Nurse Joy: Thank you. (Looks at the $50 bill closely) Wow! This is money from before the Great War! I collect coins and bills, so I can tell the difference. (Grabs two pieces of paper from under the counter and hands them to Duplica) Here are two vouchers for the TR boutique. (In a whisper) I'm not saying that you guys should join Team Rocket, but they do own most of the clothing stores in the area. Use these vouchers to get some clothes... I owe you for giving me such an old bill.
 
Duplica: Um... it's no problem. (Puts the vouchers in her wallet)
 
Nurse Joy: (Happily) I'll be right back with your keys... (Turns around and heads into a back room to get the keys)
 
Ash: (Whispering to Misty) This is weird, a Pokemon center charging for rooms...
 
Misty: (Whispering to Ash) I know... and it looks totally different, too. (To Duplica) Thanks for paying for the rooms!
 
Duplica: It's no problem. I'm sure those vouchers will come in handy later as well...
 
Nurse Joy returns and gives the group the keys to their rooms. Ash and Misty take one room and Brock and Duplica take the other room. When Ash and Misty get inside, they find a bunk bed instead of two double beds...
 
Misty: Hmm... must be cramped for space in this Pokemon Center... (Looks around the room) This is pretty small...
 
Ash: It'll be fine. (Jumps on the bottom bunk) I call bottom bunk!
 
Pikachu runs and jumps on the bed as well. Misty just sighs and climbs into the top bunk. She takes Togepi out and feeds it, then puts it to sleep. Both of them brush their teeth and then return to their bunks...
 
Misty: (Loudly) I'm changing for bed, so you better not peek Mr. Ketchum!
 
Ash: I won't... and you better not look down here, either! I'm changing, too...
 
Ash and Misty get changed and then look up/down at the other...
 
Ash: 'Night Misty.
 
Misty: Goodnight Ash. I hope we can make it down to the train station tomorrow.
 
Ash: Me too. I want to go home and see what's going on...
 
Ash stops speaking as he notices the calendar on the wall. He gets up and walks over to it; Misty is watching him with curiosity...
 
Misty: (Feeling uneasy) Ash, what year does it say on there?
 
Ash: (Very shocked) I-I-It's the year t-t-t-twenty twenty-eight... we're exactly 25 years into the future...
 
Misty: (Shocked) Oh... my...
 
Next door, Brock and Duplica have brushed their teeth and are getting ready for bed when Duplica spots the calendar and reacts just like Ash did a moment ago. She tells Brock about the calendar and all four travelers have a hard time getting to sleep that night... they cannot believe that they are 25 years into the future...
 
In the morning, Pikachu nudges against Ash to wake him. Togepi has also gotten up early and is tugging on the sleeve of Misty's pajamas in an attempt to wake her up. Both teens groggily wake up, change, and get some food for their pokemon. Ash hears someone knocking on the door a few minutes later; he opens the door and finds Brock and Duplica standing there. They run into the room and close the door...
 
Brock: (Softly) Did you guys see the calendar?
 
Misty: Yeah, we did. (Shakes her head) I still don't believe it... 25 years.
 
Duplica: Who knows what happened to all of our friends and family while we were "gone"...
 
Ash: (Concerned) That's why we have to go back and find Professor Oak. He'll be able to help us... and my mom, too.
 
Brock: I think Ash is right, we should start from Pallet Town and then see what has happened elsewhere.
 
Misty: Let's get going! I wanna get on that train back to the Kanto region as soon as possible! I'm worried about what happened to Cerulean City and my sisters...
 
Ash gives Misty a hug and comforts her for a few minutes. The group heads to the lobby and checks out and says "Goodbye" to Nurse Joy, and then grabs a bite to eat at a local restaurant. Brock picks up a map of the Johto region before leaving the restaurant with the others. Heading south, the group continues towards Goldenrod City. All of them notice a major difference in the road- it is much wider and it is paved...
 
Misty: Seems like they made this road a lot bigger... it's like double the size!
 
Brock: (Opening up the map he just bought) According to this map, all of the major roads have been widened and paved. There are some new factories and towns that I never seen before. There's a bunch of new roads and it looks like the train has been extended down to New Bark Town from Goldenrod City... and there's a extension from Saffron City over to Pallet Town. More extensions are being built...
 
Ash: (Happily) Great! We can take the train all of the way to Pallet Town!
 
Duplica: At least something good has happened in the last 25 years...
 
The travelers keep on walking, arriving in Goldenrod City after nightfall. When they enter the city, all four are amazed at the amount of Team Rocket owned buildings, identified by the TR logo. This city has become a major headquarters for TR in the last 25 years and has grown considerably. Ash and company notice a lot of uniformed Team Rocket agents walking around and don't see very many local citizens walking around...
 
Ash: (In awe) This doesn't look right...
 
Brock: I know, Ash. It seems like Team Rocket is everywhere!
 
Misty: (Feeling a little scared) Let's just get over to the train station and get out of here!
 
After getting lost a few times because of the newer layout of the city, the four finally arrive at the train station. They find a train schedule posted in front of the main entranceway...
 
Ash: Look! They have a train leaving for Pallet Town in half an hour!
 
Misty: (Reading the bottom of the schedule) Ash, it says here that you need a permit to ride the train unless you are a Team Rocket member.
 
Brock: (Gently putting his hand on Duplica's shoulder) Duplica, you still have those old Team Rocket uniforms of ours, right?
 
Duplica: Of course. (Takes off her backpack and drops it to the ground) (Digs out the old uniforms and hands one to Ash and Brock) You guys take these and change in those bathrooms over there... (Points at the bathroom entrance, which is to the left of the main entranceway) Misty and I'll meet you right here after we change.
 
Ash: Sounds good to me... come on, Pikachu, let's go!
 
Pikachu and Brock follow Ash into the bathroom where both change into their old Team Rocket uniforms...
 
Ash: (Looking at himself in the mirror) I'm surprised these still fit... my pants are a little short, though.
 
Brock: Well, it's been over three years since we've worn these outfits... both of us are a couple inches taller. At least the tops still fit... (Pulls at his shirt) They're a bit snug, but they'll do. I hope these will fool whoever's inside of the train station...
 
Ash: Me too.
 
Pikachu: PIKA-PI!
 
Ash I'm not worried, Pikachu. We'll get on that train...
 
Over in the women's washroom, Misty and Duplica have a similar discussion about the Team Rocket uniforms...
 
Misty: (Tugging at her shorts) Are you sure these are the same uniforms? These shorts seem awfully short... (Blushes)
 
Duplica looks down at her own shorts and also blushes. Both her and Misty are showing quite a bit of leg...
 
Duplica: They're the same size, Misty. I think we've both gotten taller since we last used these...
 
Misty: (Turns and looks at Duplica) You used to be shorter then me, and now you're my height.
 
Duplica: (Happily) Yep! I didn't like being short, anyways...
 
Misty looks in the mirror after she changes into the Team Rocket top. Something does not feel quite right on her...
 
Misty: (Hesitantly) Um... (Tugs at the black mini-shirt under the top of the uniform) The top is a little snug...
 
A/N: I didn't know what to call the part of the uniform under the white top, so I used the term "undershirt."
 
Duplica: (Also tugging at the black undershirt in her uniform) (Has a sweat drop) Me too... the top is really tight!
 
Misty: (Sighs out loud) I guess we'll have to make due... (Nudges Duplica) I bet you can't wait to see Brock's reaction when he sees you in that...
 
Duplica: (Blushing) Stop that! (Nudges Misty) What about Ash?
 
Misty: Well... I know Ash likes my looks, but I don't think he's really checking me out... (Winks)... at least not yet. He's still young...
 
Duplica: I guess you're right... (Duplica and Misty put their other clothes into their respective backpacks) Ready, Misty?
 
Misty: (Makes a peace sign) You bet! Prepare for trouble! (Puts on the trademark black gloves that go with the Team Rocket uniform)
 
Duplica: (Chuckling as she puts on her gloves) I see you're getting into the role... let's go!
 
Duplica and Misty make their way back to the front entrance, where Brock and Ash are patiently waiting for them. As soon as Misty steps into the light coming from the entrance, Ash notices her outfit and blushes...
 
Ash: (To himself) Wow! Misty looks great in that uniform! She sure is showing a lot of her legs...
 
When Duplica steps into the light, Brock has an even more extreme reaction...
 
Brock: (Blushes and starts to drool a little, then thinks to himself) Damn! She looks great! I can't believe that's the same uniform... she looks totally different then before... not like that's a bad thing. She really has grown up...
 
Misty: (Looks at Brock, then nudges Duplica) I told you he'd do something...
 
Duplica rushes up to Brock and gives him a hug, bringing him back to reality. She whispers in his ear...
 
Duplica: Brock, don't embarrass me like that. (Blushes) I know I look good in this uniform... but you can't be staring like that and drooling. People could be watching...
 
Brock: (Whispering back to Duplica) I'm sorry... (Pauses) You look beautiful in that uniform, even more then the first time I seen you in it...
 
Duplica: (Plants a kiss on Brock's cheek and then lets go of him) Thank you. (Turns to look at Ash and Misty, who are staring at them) You guys ready?
 
Ash: (Nods his head) Let's go! (Pikachu hops on Ash's shoulder)
 
The group heads inside the train station, walking confidently and naturally, so they don't arouse suspicion. As they do so, they cannot help but notice the major change in the interior layout as well as the color scheme. After a quick look around the inside of the building, they find the ticket booth and walk up to it...
 
TR Ticket Agent: May I help you?
 
Brock: (Stepping up to the booth) We need four tickets to Pallet Town, please...
 
The ticket agent squints her eyes and looks at the four teens cautiously...
 
TR Ticket Agent: Are you members of the Junior Division?
 
Brock: (Without hesitation) Yeah. I'm the group leader, Brock. These are my cadets- Duplica, Ash, and Misty...
 
The agent pauses for a moment to consider what Brock has just said. She reaches under the counter and grabs four tickets...
 
TR Ticket Agent: (Presenting the tickets to Brock) Here are your tickets. You probably know already that the magnetic train is for top ranking personnel only... you'll be traveling on the freight line that runs right next to the magnetic line. It will take about 8-10 hours to get there...
 
Brock: (Taking the tickets) That's fine. Thank you.
 
After he turns around, Brock breathes a quiet sigh of relief. Ash, Misty, and Duplica follow behind Brock as he leads the way over to the platform where their train is supposed to depart from. After about ten minutes of waiting, a long freight train pulls up. A passenger car stops in front of the four teens and a female conductor steps out...
 
Conductor: All aboard!
 
With Brock leading the way, all four of them enter the train and then wait in the foyer, unsure of where to go. The conductor steps back into the train and then looks at them...
 
Conductor: Can I see your tickets?
 
Brock: Sure. (Shows the tickets to the conductor) Where are we supposed to sit?
 
Conductor: (Pointing at the bottom of the ticket) You four are sitting in row 15... go down the hallway and it'll be on your right about halfway down. The next car down past that has the dining and snack bars. Is this your first time on the train?
 
Brock: Yeah, it is. We're going to Pallet Town to... see some relatives.
 
Conductor: I see. Just be careful down there... there have been attacks and guerilla activity against Team Rocket down there and throughout the Kanto region. Watch your back and trust no one but Team Rocket members!
 
Brock and the others nod their heads and then head down the middle of the train until they get to row 15. They are surprised to find a door instead of a row of seats. Brock opens the door and then steps inside the room. Misty, Ash, and Duplica head into the room right behind Brock...
 
Misty: (Looking around) Wow! It's like our own private room!
 
Ash and Duplica look around the room and notice the furnishings. Two sleeper couches line the right and left walls and a small table and four chairs are in the center of the room. A medium sized window on the back wall allows a view of the outside...
 
A sudden jolt is felt as the train starts up and begins to move... Misty falls backwards and Ash catches her. Both of them fall onto one of the couches as the train lurches again...
 
Brock: (Agitated) This train must be pulling some heavy loads if it needs to start up like THAT!
 
Duplica looks at Ash and Misty. After that last lurch, Misty has landed in Ash's lap and he has his hands wrapped around her stomach. Duplica cannot help herself and makes a comment...
 
Duplica: Hey, Ash, it looks like you caught a Misty!
 
Ash: (Confused) Huh?
 
Misty: (Blushing) Duplica!
 
Duplica: (Chuckling) Sorry, I couldn't help myself... that was funny, right Brock?
 
Brock: (Smiling) Of course. Ash is always trying to "catch 'em all"... (Starts to laugh)
 
Misty stands up and grabs Ash's hand and brings him to his feet...
 
Misty: (Still red in the face) Ash and I are going to get something to eat. We'll be back!
 
Ash is dragged from the room as Misty storms out and heads towards the dining/snack car. After they leave, Brock and Duplica just smile and look at each other. Brock opens the sleeper couch and puts his backpack on the floor. Duplica puts her backpack on bed and starts to dig thru it...
 
Duplica: Brock, I'm going to the bathroom to change for bed. (Yawns) I'm getting tired...
 
Brock: Okay, go ahead.
 
Duplica takes some clothes and heads to the bathroom to change. Brock takes the time to get ready for bed himself, changing into his pajamas. He then sits on the other couch and starts to doze off... only to be awakened by a voice whispering in his ear...
 
Duplica: (Sweetly) You couldn't wait for me?
 
Brock: (Waking up) Huh?
 
Brock looks over at Duplica and for the second time in the last hour, has an extreme reaction. She is wearing a pair of black sweatpants and a red shirt with a yellow star on it. What catches Brock's attention is the fact that the shirt is too short and a couple inches of her stomach are showing as a result...
 
Brock: (Stops himself from drooling but cannot help blushing) You look nice... is that the same shirt from early last year, when I saw you and your mini-Ditto for the first time?
 
Duplica: Yeah, it is. I really didn't buy too many new clothes while we were in Pallet- I forgot that I had lost most of them when Team Rocket bombed my Imite House. We've been traveling a lot lately... and there's been no chance to wash clothes. Since I'm running out of clean clothes, I decided to wear this. (Tugs at her shirt, causing Brock to turn even redder) It's a little small... I haven't worn it in over nine months...
 
Brock: (Wrapping an arm around her stomach and pulling her next to him) It's okay... y-you l-look fine.
 
Duplica doesn't reply and starts to doze off a little, enjoying the feeling of warmth that Brock is giving her. She looks down at her shirt and pouts a little...
 
Duplica: (Sleepily) I don't remember growing that much taller, this shirt must have shrunk!
 
Brock almost says something but then stops. His face turns very red as he looks at Duplica and realizes the real answer to her last statement. He begins to sweat as he considers whether to tell her or not. After a minute of thinking, he decides to tell her the answer. Brock gulps and then slowly turns his head and begins to whisper in Duplica's ear...
 
Brock: (Very nervously) Duplica, um...
 
Duplica: (Waking up) Go ahead, Brock.
 
Brock: (Sweating profusely) I um, know why your shirt is smaller then you think it should be...
 
Duplica: Tell me.
 
The moment of decision has arrived for Brock. He begins to sweat even more before opening his mouth to answer her...
 
Brock: (Pauses for a moment to summon his courage, he has never said anything like this before, especially to a woman) Y-You've gotten t-taller and y-your... (Gulps)... figure has filled out.
 
Duplica thinks about it for a moment and then blushes when she realizes what he meant. She turns her head, looks at Brock, and notices that he is blushing as well and also notices where he is looking...
 
Duplica: (Hitting Brock, though not hard enough to really hurt him) What are YOU staring at? I didn't think you'd be such a pervert!
 
Brock: (Almost speechless) B-b-but I...
 
Duplica: (Angry) I can't believe what I just saw and heard from you. You're sleeping on the floor with Pikachu and Togepi!
 
Brock: (Trying to defend his actions) I-I was just trying to answer your question... and I'm a guy. I can't help looking at you like that...
 
Duplica: (Folding her arms across her chest) Hmmph! That's no excuse!
 
Brock: (Sincerely) I can't help it if you get more beautiful every time I see you...
 
Duplica is about to reply back when she pauses to think about what he just said. She takes a deep breath and slowly leans her head on Brock's shoulder...
 
Duplica: Do you really mean that? Or are you just saying that so I won't hit you and make you sleep on the floor?
 
Duplica awaits Brock's answer with anticipation; this is a chance for him to "spill" on his feelings for her. She hopes that he'll have a good answer...
 
Brock: (Wraps his arm around her stomach again and then looks her in the eye) I really mean that. You are a beautiful woman and I'm sorry if you took my comment the wrong way...
 
Duplica: (Blushing) It's okay, Brock. I can see now that you weren't being perverted when you said that. I guess I don't pay that much attention to my own body sometimes...
 
Brock leans his head and rests it against hers. Both of them are quiet for a few moments as they enjoy this quiet time together...
 
Duplica: (Breaking the silence) Brock, I wanna tell you something. (Brock perks up and starts to listen attentively) I was always by myself when I was running the Imite House. I had Ditto, but only a few friends. When you guys stumbled into my place during that rainstorm, something happened. When we were looking for my Ditto, you made a comment that made me blush. That was the first time a guy had done that...
 
Brock: Really?
 
Duplica: (Continuing her story) Yeah. I was a little bit saddened to see you leave after that incident and I was always looking for someone that could make laugh and react like that. No one ever did. That's why I didn't really worry too much about my looks and figure, I was always in costume and I had no one I had to impress in that way. I guess I was lucky to see you those other times in the last three years... especially that last time.
 
Brock: Yeah...
 
Duplica starts to nod off and falls asleep. Brock, feeling a little bold, picks her up, carries her to the bed, and places her on it. He props a pillow under her head and then covers her with a blanket. He then stretches out on the bed and starts to think to himself...
 
Brock: (Thinking silently to himself) I guess I was lucky that she didn't stay angry with me. I never knew that she was all alone for so long... that explains her not being very self-conscious about her own body. She was right... we were lucky to run into each other and even luckier to have hooked up. (Turns his head to look at the sleeping Duplica) She looks so peaceful when she's sleeping...
 
While Brock and Duplica were having their little "argument" and talk, Ash and Misty enjoy a snack together and talk in the dining car...
 
Ash: I can't wait to get back home. (Lowers his voice) I wanna see what happened to everybody...
 
Misty: (In a whisper) I know what you mean, Ash. I'm worried, too...
 
Ash and Misty stare at each other while Pikachu munches on a corndog and watches the two lovebirds...
 
Misty: (Slyly) I seen the way you were staring at me earlier, Ash.
 
Ash: (Trying to play innocent) What do you mean, Misty?
 
Misty: Oh, come on, Ash- don't try that "innocent routine" on me, I can see right through you. (Moves closer and moves her face right in front of Ash's) I saw you staring at my legs!
 
Pikachu stops eating and watches Ash and Misty carefully. He knows that Ash could be in trouble here...
 
Ash: (Sweating) Umm... I guess I was.
 
Ash closes his eyes in anticipation of a verbal and/or physical assault from Misty due to his prior actions. He is surprised to feel her arms wrap around him. He opens his eyes and notices that she has pulled him into a close hug...
 
Misty: (Softly) I only have one thing to say... it's about time you started noticing me!
 
Ash: (To himself) I wonder what she means by that? Does she want me to look at her like that all of the time? Women...
 
Ash looks at Misty and notices that she has closed her eyes and has her lips slightly puckered. He moves closer and gives her a loving kiss...
 
Misty: (Blushing) Thank you, Ash. Why don't we go back and get ready for bed?
 
Ash: Okay.
 
Ash and Misty head back to the cabin, and find Brock thinking on one side of the bed and Duplica fast asleep on the other side...
 
Brock: (Noticing that Ash and Misty have just come in) Shh! She's sleeping!
 
Misty: (Softly) Oh, okay. (Heads over to her backpack and grabs her pajamas) I'll be right back. (Misty leaves the room)
 
Ash: I better change, too. We may have to use these uniforms a lot and I don't want to get them too dirty...
 
Ash heads over to his backpack and gets out his clothes, then heads to the men's washroom to change. Brock sets up a blanket for Pikachu and Togepi and both of them go to sleep. Ash returns and then Misty arrives a few minutes later. Ash looks down at the floor and finds Pikachu and Togepi fast asleep...
 
Ash: (Softly) Thanks for setting up the blankets for Pikachu and Togepi.
 
Brock: No problem.
 
Misty: (Sits down on the bed) You going to bed, Brock?
 
Brock: Yeah. It's been a long day for all of us...
 
Misty: Good night.
 
Brock: Good night.
 
Misty turns off the lights and then heads back over the bed. She lies down and pulls the covers over to her side...
 
Ash: Misty!
 
Misty: (Quietly protesting) Keep it down!
 
Ash: (Quietly) You took all of the blanket!
 
Misty: Oh... (Moves a little closer to Ash) How about now? We can share it equally.
 
Ash: (Pulling the covers over himself) Yeah, that's much better. Good night Mist...
 
Misty: (Slightly blushing at the mention of her "pet" name) 'Night Ash. Sweet dreams.
 
Ash and Misty soon fall asleep. Brock stays up a little while more, thinking about what has happened in the last few days and where they are...
 
Brock: (Thinking to himself) I can't believe we're 25 years in the future! What's gonna happen to us now? (Sighs out loud then talks to himself) I guess tomorrow is another day...
 
Duplica: You're right, Brock.
 
Brock: (Turning his head) I thought you were sleeping.
 
Duplica: I was... but I was also thinking about what happened. I'm sorta scared, Brock... aren't you?
 
Brock looks deep inside himself and realizes that he is scared about the situation. This is one of the few times in his life that he has no idea about what is going to happen next. Brock also realizes that Duplica feels the same way about what just happened to them...
 
Brock: I'm worried, too.
 
Duplica moves closer to Brock and spreads the blanket over both of them. Brock can feel her hair brushing against his head- she has placed her head next to his. Duplica leans in for a quick kiss and then whispers a 'good night' to Brock...
 
Brock: 'Night Duplica.
 
Brock and Duplica soon fall asleep and the train continues to press on through the mountains and past the dividing point between Kanto and Johto, stopping every so often to discharge passengers and freight to various places and bases. The sun soon rises and a new day is born as the train makes an extended stop in Saffron City. Pikachu and Togepi are the first ones up, both hop up to the window and watch the scenery go by...
 
Around 8:00 A.M., the conductor goes through the train and knocks on all of the doors, informing the occupants that the train will arrive in Pallet Town in 30 minutes...
 
Misty: (Gently shoving Ash) Wake up, sleepyhead!
 
Ash: (Rubbing his eyes) We're there already?
 
Misty: Almost. The train will be there in 30 minutes...
 
Misty gets up, gathers her clothes, and then goes to get dressed. Ash pulls the blanket off of the other bed and finds Duplica and Brock next to each other, with Duplica's head snuggled into his chest...
 
Ash: (Gently shaking Brock) Wake up! We're almost there!
 
Brock: (Opening his eyes) Huh?
 
Ash: Looks like you caught a Duplica, huh?
 
Brock looks down and notices a sleeping Duplica snuggled against his body. He blushes as Ash starts to chuckle...
 
Brock: (Throwing his pillow at Ash) I'm gonna get you for that, Ash!
 
Ash: I was just getting you back for yesterday.
 
Brock: Why don't you get changed and I'll wake up Duplica, okay?
 
Ash: All right.
 
Ash gets his clothes together and then leaves the room. Brock pauses for a moment to look at his girlfriend, who is still sleeping with a smile on her face. He realizes that his very presence can make her very happy, even while she is asleep...
 
Duplica: (Wakes up and stretches her legs and arms) Good morning, Brock!
 
Brock: (Nervously) Umm... good morning.
 
Duplica: (Concerned) Brock, is something wrong? You look troubled.
 
Brock: (Smiling) It's nothing. We're gonna be in Pallet soon, you should go change.
 
Duplica: All right.
 
Duplica hops off of the bed and onto the floor. Before she goes any farther, Brock pulls her into a warm hug...
 
Duplica: (Blushing) Brock...
 
Brock: (Softly) Thank you.
 
Duplica: (Not knowing what he means) For what?
 
Brock: (Nervously) I-I noticed that you were umm... snuggled against me this morning...
 
Duplica: Oh... (Long pause) Did you like it?
 
Brock: (Turning very red) Y-Yes.
 
Duplica: Good. (Wraps her arms around Brock and gives him a kiss) I'll be back in a few minutes, okay?
 
Brock: (Letting go of Duplica) Sure.
 
Duplica and the others get changed and are dressed once again in their Team Rocket uniforms. They get their pokemon and backpacks and wait for the train to arrive in the station. As they look out of the window during the final stretch, some things seen familiar while other things are new and out of place...
 
To be continued in Chapter 13: Pallet Town Revisited