Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Team Rocket Strikes Back! An AAML Story ❯ Chapter 11: New Extremes ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 11: New Extremes
 
8/30/2005- Another redone chapter, enjoy!
 
 
 
 
Inside of the command building, Dr. Nemesis addresses some key Team Rocket agents, all of whom are dressed in the standard black TR uniform. Two tall men stand before the Doctor- one has brown hair and is stocky and the other has black hair and is muscular. Both are TR generals around 35 years old. A younger agent, a twenty five year old red haired TR Colonel, joins them. Standing around 5'8", she is very attractive and her very presence in the bunker is distracting the other TR agents, who cannot help themselves from glancing at her when she is not looking...
 
Dr. Nemesis: I have already made several demonstrations in front of your own eyes, proving that my device works. The potential of this device should be clear to you now...
 
TR General: Yes, you have. (Scratches his chin skeptically) Now, what about a larger scale? I want to see a larger demonstration.
 
TR Colonel: (Watches three technicians enter the building and take their seats) Are those the guys that were supposed to set up the large demo?
 
Dr. Nemesis: That's them...
 
The three technicians in question are the top scientists of Team Rocket, recruited personally by Dr. Nemesis to help him with this project...
 
TR Colonel: (Placing her hands on her hips) (Impatiently) Well, what are you waiting for? Let's get started!
 
Dr. Nemesis: One moment, we have to charge the emitters that are surrounding the next site... (Points at a map on the far wall of the bunker) That circled area on the map is what will be tested next. The area is approximately 1/2 mile in diameter, and the field will also cover 50 feet up and down, making a sphere shaped area. This whole area will disappear and then reappear tomorrow. After that, there should be no doubt about the effectiveness of my invention...
 
TR General #2: I would agree, and then we can make more of these devices, with your help Doctor...
 
Dr. Nemesis: Of course...
 
Dr. Nemesis gets a good look at the short-tempered Colonel and is taken by her beauty. He quickly recovers his countanence and begins to look at the bank of computers on the near wall where the three technicians are sitting.
 
Technician #1: Power levels approaching nominal, sir.
 
Technician #2: We can be ready in one minute, sir.
 
Technician #3: I am preparing the remote camera for launch, sir.
 
TR Colonel: (Confused) Remote camera? What's that for?
 
Dr. Nemesis: To show you and the others what the site will look like after the test. It will show a huge hole in the ground, proving that site has been moved into the future...
 
TR Colonel: I see...
 
Technician #2: Ready to go, sir.
 
Dr. Nemesis: Launch the pre-activation sequence and then wait for my orders.
 
Technician #1: (With a hint of excitement) Yes, sir!
 
A roar is heard as power is shunted into various chambers below the bunker. Zapping noise are heard a few moments later, indicating that the power emitters are charging to their peak...
 
Meanwhile, over in the grassy meadow, Ash and company have reached the center of the meadow. They are surprised to find a large spherical shaped machine imbedded into a large oak tree. A pair of thick wires lead back towards where they had just come from and beyond to the bunker...
 
Ash: I wonder what this thing is?
 
Misty: I have no idea... but I think that those wires lead over to that building that we saw a few minutes ago. (Points towards the west at the building, which is barely visible through the canopy of trees)
 
Duplica: (Looking around) I see some more of these spheres in the distance... (Points to the southwest) At least, it looks like one of those things...
 
Brock: This must be a test site of some kind... I think we should get out of here and head around towards that building.
 
Misty: Yeah, let's get going!
 
With Misty leading the way, Ash and the others start moving away from the tree. Before they go fifteen feet, a loud humming noise permeates the air and the group stops running...
 
Misty: What's that? (Puts her hands over her ears)
 
Ash: I don't know, but it's getting louder!
 
Streams of blue light shoot between the spheres on the perimeter of the meadow, and then shoot down into the earth to an underground sphere. Dirt flies towards the group as a beam is shot through the ground to the middle sphere. All four travelers gaze in awe as the beam goes up into the air a moment later. All of the beams connect to form the outline of a blue sphere...
 
Duplica: (Urgently) We gotta get out of here!
 
Duplica starts to run towards the perimeter, followed by the other three when a flash of bright blue light blinds all of them and knocks them to the ground...
 
Brock: (Yelling) What the heck is happening?
 
Misty: (Loudly) I don't know!
 
Misty and Ash hold each other tightly, as do Brock and Duplica. Pikachu, who has been silent for the last five minutes, crawls into Ash's lap and closes its eyes...
 
All five pass out a moment later and the sphere is engulfed in blue light. Energy beams shoot out from all of the spheres as the machine prepares to activate completely...
 
Back in the bunker, things are not going quite as planned...
 
Technician #3: The power level is rising too fast! 150% above nominal and rising!
 
Dr. Nemesis: Divert some of that power into the auxiliary generators and shut them off. (Loudly) We can't have that kind of power flowing into the time machine!
 
The room becomes tenser as an explosion is heard in the distance...
 
TR Colonel: What the hell what that?
 
Dr. Nemesis: I don't know... (Turns to look at his technicians) Launch the camera! I want to see what's going on over there!
 
Technician #1: Yes, sir! (Presses a red button on his console, launching the camera)
 
A loud TWANG! is heard, as the camera is launch at a high velocity from the top of the bunker. Following instructions from the bunker, it flies towards the test site and hovers near the edge of the glowing, blue sphere...
 
Inside the bunker, Dr. Nemesis has turned on a TV set and piped the feedback from the camera through to it. All present turn and look at the screen. A perfect sphere of blue energy has engulfed the meadow...
 
Dr. Nemesis: (Happily) Perfect! I told you officials that it would work!
 
Smoke suddenly obscures the view on the camera and it begins to fade out. The camera does not show the raging brush fire that has now been started by the intense heat produced by the machine. Billowing smoke begins to head towards the sky and the camera is soon consumed in the flames...
 
Back in the bunker, things are beginning to get chaotic as well...
 
Technician #3: Power levels are going out of control! 225% and rising! The camera is no longer functioning and there are power surges everywhere!
 
Dr. Nemesis: Prepare for emergency shutdown! Abort the test!
 
Technician #1: I can't, the controls are not responding!
 
The ground begins to shudder as explosions rock the forest. Land mines and other devices intended to protect the test site and the bunker are on fire and are detonating. The explosions rock the perimeter of the test site and begin to head towards the bunker. The guards on the road begin to get concerned and they head a small distance into the forest to check out what's going on...
 
Guard #1: Seems like there's something wrong with the test, the fire and the explosions are heading this way...
 
Before another word can be spoken, all three guards are thrown to the ground by the shock wave from a nearby explosion. The flames continue to move rapidly towards the bunker and also are radiating out from the area around the sphere. Pokemon rapidly flee the forest. The flames consume the stunned guards...
 
TR General: (Looking out of the window to the east) The flames are coming this way!
 
Dr. Nemesis: Emergency shut down! Turn on the water system to protect the building!
 
Sprinklers pop out of the sides of the building and start to continuously spray cold water around the building...
 
TR Colonel: I hope that will keep the fire away from here! What went wrong?
 
Dr. Nemesis: (Shaking) I don't know...
 
One of the computers on the back walls explodes a few seconds later, knocking two of the technicians to the floor, unconscious. The remaining technician rapidly presses buttons in an attempt to shut down the time travel system, which is still fueling the flames...
 
Sparks start to come out of the remaining computer. The remaining technician is knocked to the floor by the explosion of the remaining computers and the two TR generals duck for cover. The flames have reached the last traps set up by the Doctor and TR earlier, and shrapnel fills the air. Dr. Nemesis and the Colonel jump to the floor, just seconds before the window shatter and glass and debris fly everywhere...
 
Dr. Nemesis: (Looking at the Colonel) You all right?
 
TR Colonel: (Brushing glass off of her uniform) I guess...
 
Everyone in the room stays down as large thumps are felt, the floor is shaking. The electrical generators below the bunker have gone into overload and are shorting out...
 
Dr. Nemesis: Everyone stay down! It seems like the generators are overloading- every console in this room is going to overload and spark, cover your eyes...
 
The three TR agents quickly cover their eyes, and not a moment too soon. Sparks fly out from every console in the room and then a few of them explode, knocking out the two TR Generals. The TR Colonel checks their pulse and is relieved that they are alive...
 
Dr. Nemesis: Are they going make it?
 
TR Colonel: I think so; they're just knocked out. Are you okay?
 
Dr. Nemesis: (Wiping some debris off of himself) I think so. I'm going to see if my technicians survived...
 
Dr. Nemesis crawls over to the unconscious technicians and checks their pulses. He is relieved to find that all three are still alive...
 
TR Colonel: Did they make it?
 
Dr. Nemesis: (Nodding his head) Yeah, they should recover. I'd hate to think about what happened to our guards outside. The forest fire is probably raging out of control right now. You know that within an hour they're will be firefighters swarming this area.
 
TR Colonel: Can I help you out in any way? This technology shouldn't fall into the wrong hands...
 
Dr. Nemesis: Of course you can help. Grab those disks and CD's in that cabinet to your left and throw them in your bag. That has all a copy of all of my data on it...
 
TR Colonel: Your backups? (Starts to gather the disks and CD's together and places them into her bag)
 
Dr. Nemesis: Of course. If I didn't have those, I would have lost all my data just now... (Stands up) Look at this place, it's totally ruined!
 
TR Colonel: (Standing up) I got everything. (Looks out of the window) Woah... look at that!
 
Outside of the protected bunker small patches of hot ground and ash surround the building. The fire quickly passed by the bunker and is now raging in the distance. Charred bushes and trees litter the landscape, interrupted only by the occasional hole in the ground where there was a trap or other defensive device...
 
TR Colonel: It seems like the fire has burned itself out around here, it seems to be moving far in the distance...
 
Dr. Nemesis: Yes, it does. (Opens a locker door and grabs two white colored suits out of it) Here! (Throws a suit at the Colonel)
 
TR Colonel: (Looking at the suit) What is this?
 
Dr. Nemesis: A flameproof suit. We're going to get out of here and head towards the southeast. I have a small base some distance away that I did my first experiments in, we can hide there. We may have to travel through some hot spots, hence the suits.
 
TR Colonel: Oh... you do think of everything, don't you?
 
Dr. Nemesis: (Smiling) That's why I'm the best... who else could have made a time machine? (Puts on his flameproof suit)
 
TR Colonel: I don't know... but what do you think happened to that test site? Shouldn't we see if your test worked before everything went out of control?
 
Dr. Nemesis: Good thinking my dear. Put on your suit and let's go check that out, then we can get out of here...
 
The TR colonel blushes at the Doctor's last statement. She thinks to herself... 'I think he likes me... and he could be the key to power. His machine could be the ticket to total world domination... and he ain't half bad looking, either.' She gets into the flameproof suit and follows Dr. Nemesis outside...
 
Dr. Nemesis: Well, let's go, follow me!
 
TR Colonel: What about them?
 
Dr. Nemesis: They'll live, and the authorities can help them out. The sprinkler system will protect the bunker from any more fires. We can't risk being slowed down for anything. I don't think they'll talk, and if they do, no one will believe them... (Chuckles)
 
TR Colonel: You're right... (Latches her arm around Dr. Nemesis's arm) Let's go!
 
The two make their way towards the meadow. Dr. Nemesis stops at one point and examines the ground...
 
Dr. Nemesis: One moment... (Points at the ground ahead) There are our guards... (Shakes his head)
 
Three burned bodies smolder beneath the remains of a pine tree. The Colonel nearly throws up at the horrid sight...
 
TR Colonel: Gross!
 
Dr. Nemesis: Come on; let's get over to the test site... (Starts to walk northwest towards the test site, the Colonel following right behind him) You know, I didn't get your name... I want to know the name of my "partner in crime"... (Chuckles)
 
TR Colonel: Colonel Jessica Braunstein of the Military Division. Just call me "Jessica"... (Smiles) Since you got my name, what's your first name?
 
Dr. Nemesis: You see, Dr. Nemesis isn't my real name... I just made it up when I started this project a few years ago. My real name is Ross Bergmann... just call me "Ross". (Flirtatiously) I must say, you're the most beautiful Team Rocket agent that I ever seen...
 
Jessica: (Blushing) I've heard that one before... but I believe that you're being sincere. Between what we both know, I think we could make a pretty good pair, don't yah think? (Winks at Ross)
 
Ross: I think so... (Stops in his tracks) Oh my, it did work! The whole meadow disappeared! This 50-foot hole could have been made only by my test!
 
Jessica: Hmm... you must be right. (Gazes at the hole and looks around) It's a perfect sphere in shape, your experiment worked! (Gives Ross a hug)
 
Ross: (Blushing) It must have... but what went wrong? We can't stick around and see when the meadow reappears. (Sighs out loud)
 
Jessica: I'm sure it was just something out of your control... or maybe one of your technicians or the guards sabotaged something. Defects in the machines, generators, wires, or the computers- any one of those could have caused this. Don't give up! We can make this invention of your work... together... (Smiles, then places a kiss on Ross's cheek)
 
Ross: (Pulling Jessica into an warm embrace) I think we can work something out, my dear...
 
After a short hug, Dr. Nemesis and his new accomplice make their way to the southeast, through the burned out forest and patches of flames before getting to the secret base. As they are entering the base, elsewhere, firefighters make their way through the forest, putting out the fires on the way. They soon come across the smoldering bodies and the burned out bunker. The firefighters find the five unconscious people inside and call an ambulance. A separate unit is called to recover the three dead bodies that were outside. Heading out of the bunker, the firefighters spread out and are surprised to find a large hole in the ground...
 
Several miles away, two people plot and scheme in a secret base. Dr. Nemesis has already made plans to make another machine and Colonel Braunstein has talked to her contacts in the military. They set up a secret meeting, intent on forming a new Team Rocket...
 
To be continued in Chapter 12: The Undiscovered Country
 
A/N: That is a reference from Shakespeare.