Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Team Rocket Strikes Back! An AAML Story ❯ Chapter 10: Forest Confrontation ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 10: Forest Confrontation
 
Redone on 8/30/2005- I tightened up the dialogue and fixed any errors I found.
 
 
 
 
After phoning his mom and Professor Oak, Ash talks with Misty, Brock and Duplica. They decide to head back to Pallet Town...
 
Meanwhile, in a secret base in the mountains of Northern Johto, a scientist holds a secret meeting with high-level members of Team Rocket...
 
Team Rocket Sergeant: Tell us again what this machine will do and how you plan to use it...
 
Dr. Nemesis: It's actually very simple... the device will have the ability to take a selected area of space and transport it into the near future...
 
Team Rocket General: (In disbelief) That's impossible! Time travel is only theoretical at this point...
 
Dr. Nemesis: That maybe true... but that theory is about to put into practice and tested for the first time. That is why I am inviting you and your fellow "dissatisfied" commanders to a demonstration of my machine, which should be ready around New Years...
 
Team Rocket General: (Skeptically) Why so long?
 
Dr. Nemesis: (Sighs) I have to run some lab tests and work out a few bugs... these things take some time, you know...
 
Team Rocket General: Hmm... I don't know... (Scratches his chin)
 
Team Rocket Sergeant: I think we should give him a chance, sir...
 
Team Rocket General: Very well... I will contact my fellow officers and arrange to have them present for this "demonstration" that you will be having...
 
Dr. Nemesis: (Rubbing his hands together) Excellent! (Pauses) Think of the tactical value of this alone... you could move things in the future and make them disappear temporarily, or set traps and have them suddenly appear out of nowhere. The possibilities are endless... and think of what Team Rocket can do with this power...
 
Team Rocket General: (Scratches his chin) Seems promising... we need to keep the pressure up, not go back to hit and run like Giovanni is doing now... (Pauses) I will see you in about 6 weeks...
 
Dr. Nemesis: Sounds good... I will contact you if anything comes up, otherwise, call me on the 1st of January and we'll set up a place and a time...
 
Team Rocket General: Excellent... (Motions the Sergeant, who follows him as he leaves the room)
 
Dr. Nemesis: (Softly to himself) Hehe... they agreed to the demonstration. Once they realize the power that I possess, I will help them lead a revolt again Giovanni and his slothful followers... Team Rocket will be truly feared the world over... (Starts to laugh evilly out loud)
 
About a week later, Ash and company arrive back in Pallet Town, after taking the long way back. Duplica spent some time training her Oddish on the way back, having several battles and winning most of them. Misty has her Togepi fight a battle with a low-level Rattata... and is surprised to see it win so quickly. "Must have been that Metronome attack it used at the end of the battle..." she muses to herself.
 
Waiting at the front door for her son and his friends to arrive is Delia Ketchum. She sees the kids come over the hill and begins to wave excitedly...
 
Ash: Look! There's my mom! She sure must be excited to see us... (Waves back)
 
Misty: It's been a while since we were back...
 
About a minute later, all four of them get to the front door and are happily greeted by Delia, then escorted inside to the kitchen. Professor Oak is sitting at the table eating a piece of blueberry pie...
 
Ash: Hi Professor! Wanna see my 8th badge?
 
Prof. Oak: (Wiping his mouth off) Sure Ash, let me see... (Ash opens his jacket and shows all of his badges) Very impressive! You do know that tryouts for the Johto Championships start soon, and the main tournament is in about 3 months or so...
 
Misty: We know already... (Nudges Ash) He couldn't stop talking about it and how he's gonna win, right Ash?
 
Ash: (Excited) That's right! (Makes a peace sign)
 
Delia: You guys sit down and I'll make you some dinner... and I won't take no for an answer... (Smiles)
 
Brock: Sure, Mrs. Ketchum, we'd love some dinner. Your home cooked meals are to die for...
 
Delia: (Flattered) Thank you, Brock.
 
Ash, Misty, Brock, and Duplica sit down at the kitchen table as Delia begins to whip up dinner. Conversation soon flows...
 
Brock: Professor, where's Tracey? Did he come back from his hometown?
 
Prof. Oak: (Shakes his head) No... he's still out there. I talked to him yesterday... he said that he may be back in a few days.
 
Duplica: How have things been here while we were gone, Mrs. Ketchum?
 
Delia: (Cheerfully) Oh, fine. The town has pretty much been rebuilt, and has actually grown a little bit while you guys were gone...
 
Prof. Oak: Hear anything about Team Rocket?
 
Ash: We haven't heard or seen anything since they disappeared from that boat. I bet they are out there, plotting their next move...
 
Misty: It's been too quiet... I bet they're up to something.
 
Delia: I guess you guys are right, but I hope that the stepped up security will help stop their next attempt, whereever it is. The world will never be the same... (Shakes her head in dismay and sighs)
 
Duplica: Y... you're right. Nothing will be the same again... (Takes Brock's hand and squeezes it)
 
A few minutes later, dinner is ready. Delia serves her guests, then sits down, and eats with them. After dinner, Delia plays some cards with her guests, then Prof. Oak returns home. Ash and Misty share a warm hug then go change for bed. Brock and Duplica sit in the kitchen, talking to Delia...
 
Delia: So... how have things been going with you two?
 
Brock: Great! We're... (Pauses for a moment)... closer then ever...
 
Duplica: (Leaning on Brock's shoulder) Yeah...
 
Delia: (Smiles) I'm glad to hear it. I think my son is going to stick around and practice for the Johto League Championships, are you two going to stay here?
 
Brock: Yeah! We're gonna help Ash out...
 
Duplica: You don't mind if we stick around, do you?
 
Delia: Of course not... stay as long as you like. I'm glad that all of you are going to stick together... that's what the world needs now is people sticking together... (Trails off)
 
Brock: I couldn't agree more...
 
After a few minutes more of conversation, Brock and Duplica change and go to sleep. Delia sits in the kitchen with a cup of coffee, and thinks to herself... "They grow up so fast... and to think its been almost four years since he left on that Pokemon journey of his. He's been in so many tournaments, fought many battles, and found a girlfriend. He certainly grew up fast..."
 
Delia heads off to sleep a short while later. Time passes and Thanksgiving comes and goes. Team Rocket finally makes another move, secretly securing a large forest with a great variety of Pokemon. They start secret training and breeding programs and begin to plan more offenses in the Johto area. A few people do realize what happened, and the information eventually gets down to Professor Elm, who calls Ash and informs him of what is going on...
 
Prof. Elm: (After telling the story of what Team Rocket did) Well, that's about it...
 
Ash: Thanks for calling me, Professor... I'll talk to my friends and we'll figure out what we're gonna do...
 
Prof. Elm: Okay Ash, I'll call you if I find out anything else... talk to you later!
 
Ash: See yah! (Hangs up the phone)
 
Ash immediately heads off to talk to Misty, Brock, and Duplica. They have a discussion about what to do next, and agree to head out again after doing some more training. Misty makes a suggestion, which the other three totally agree with... "Why don't we head out after New Years? That way, we'll be here for Christmas and we can get some training in too..."
 
The kids begin to train and get the commendation of Prof. Oak and Delia. Only Prof. Oak knows why they are really training so hard, Delia thinks that her son is getting ready for the Johto League Championships. Just before Christmas, however, is an important date. One that is very important to Brock and Duplica in particular. Misty pulls Brock over to the side after the days training and asks him an important question...
 
Misty: You do know what tomorrow is, right, Brock?
 
Brock: (Thinks to himself for a moment) Hmmm... I'm not sure what you mean, Misty.
 
Misty playfully slaps Brock on the back...
 
Misty: It's Duplica's birthday tomorrow... don't you remember?
 
Brock: Oh... (Pauses) I didn't know, Misty. It never came up in any of our conversations...
 
Misty: Well, now you know. Surprise her with something nice, ok? Ash and I are pitching in some money with Ash's mom to get her a present, and we're gonna have a surprise party for her at the house at 7. We need you to get her away from the house for a few hours tomorrow, so we can get all of this set up...
 
Brock: Sure, Misty. I'll figure out something...
 
Misty and Brock rejoin Ash and Duplica, who are now in the kitchen eating some of Delia's blueberry pie. The rest of the afternoon, Brock thinks about what to get for Duplica. The next day, Brock gets up early and heads into town and picks up Duplica's present, then returns and thinks of a way to get Duplica out of the house for a few hours...
 
Around 4:30, Misty motions Brock to come into the kitchen for a moment...
 
Misty: (In a whisper) Can you figure out how to get Duplica out of the house for a little while? Ash and I already picked up the stuff for the party and put it in his mom's room. Mrs. Ketchum was going to bake a cake, too...
 
Brock: (Smiling) Don't worry, I got it covered...
 
Brock walks out of the room and finds Duplica in the front room, talking to Delia...
 
Brock: (Putting his hand on Duplica's shoulder) Duplica, did you want to take a walk with me?
 
Duplica: (Slightly blushing) Sure, Brock...
 
Brock makes a "thumbs-up" with his other hand, which Delia notices. She slightly nods her head in response, and then Brock and Duplica go out for a walk together. Delia, Misty, and Ash get right to work, setting up streamers and decorations, then immediately get to work on the birthday cake. Professor Oak makes his way down to the Ketchum house, with a small box in his hands...
 
Meanwhile, Brock and Duplica walk out of town and up into the hills surrounding the town. Brock blushes as Duplica gently takes hold of his hand and they walk hand in hand...
 
Duplica: Where are you taking me, Brock?
 
Brock: (Smiles) You'll see in a minute... I have something to show you...
 
Brock continues to lead Duplica down the road. A few minutes later, they reach a scenic overlook. Brock sits down and gazes at the valley below...
 
Brock: Do you like the view?
 
Duplica: (Sitting down next to Brock) It's wonderful! How did you know about this spot? (Leans on Brock, causing him to blush)
 
Brock: Um... I passed down this way before, with Ash and Misty. I, uh, wanted to spend a little time alone with my girlfriend and though to myself, "Why not take her up here?"
 
Duplica: It's a wonderful spot, Brock...
 
Both sit in silence and enjoy the view and each other's company. A short while later, Duplica turns and looks at Brock...
 
Duplica: (Softly) Brock...
 
Brock turns and sees Duplica with her eyes closed, her lips slightly puckered. He gently pulls Duplica closer and then gives her a long, loving kiss. The two of them sit and watch the sun go down, then start back towards Ash's house. On the way back, Brock thinks to himself "I hope that was enough time for them to get set up..."
 
As Brock and Duplica approach the door to the Ketchum residence, the light go out. Brock knows why they did, but Duplica is very puzzled by what just happened...
 
Duplica: I wonder why the lights just went out?
 
Brock: (Playing innocent) I don't know... maybe they blew a fuse?
 
Duplica: Yeah, maybe... (Opens the door and looks around inside. She cannot see a thing) Brock, it's totally dark in here...
 
Brock gives Duplica a gentle push forward, into the darkness. She is surprised by what he just did, but before she can react vocally, the lights come back on...
 
Ash, Misty, Brock, Prof. Oak, and Delia: (Loudly) Surprise! Happy birthday!
 
Duplica is speechless... she had no idea that everyone was planning a party for her. Brock walks up to Duplica and takes her hand...
 
Brock: Happy birthday...
 
Duplica: (Blushing) Brock... thank you. (Turns to face the now watching crowd) Thank you guys!
 
Delia: It was no trouble at all. Anything for one of my son's friends...
 
Duplica: Brock, how did you know it was my birthday? I don't think I told you when it was...
 
Brock: Misty told me, and she let the rest of us know...
 
Duplica: Oh, ok. (Pauses) Well... let the party begin!
 
Delia goes to the kitchen and brings out the cake and some soft drinks. Everyone sits down at the kitchen table and admires the triple layer chocolate cake that Delia has made. Decorating the top of the cake is a Ditto made of frosting and the words "Happy 17th Birthday"...
 
Prof. Oak: Great work on the cake, Delia. It looks delicious!
 
Delia: Thanks, professor!
 
As the rest of the partygoers eye the cake, Delia places seventeen candles on the cake and lights them. All of them sing "Happy Birthday" to Duplica and then she makes a wish...
 
Duplica: (To herself) I wish to get closer to Brock and to be able to help bring Team Rocket to justice for what they done...
 
Duplica blows out the candles and everyone else begins to clap their hands. Duplica cuts the first slice of cake and then Delia begins to dish out the rest of the cake...
 
Ash: Are you sure the Pokemon will be okay by themselves, Professor?
 
Prof. Oak: They'll be fine, Ash. I have some friends of mine out watching the grounds; there should be no problem. (Eats a piece of cake) This is delicious, Delia...
 
Delia: Thank you!
 
After some conversation and cake, Delia goes upstairs and brings down the presents. Duplica opens up the present from Delia first...
 
Duplica: (Talking as she opens the present) Let's see what we have here... (Pulls out a new "Official Pokemon Trainer's watch") (Happily) Thanks!
 
Delia: Your welcome.
 
Duplica puts the watch on her right arm, and then goes to the next present in the pile, which is from Prof. Oak. She opens it up and pulls out a digital camera...
 
Duplica: Thanks, Professor!
 
Prof. Oak: No problem. That's not just any old digital camera, by the way. I added a few things to it and gave it a much better battery. Read the slip of paper to see what I added.
 
Misty: (Sliding a present over to Duplica) Mine, next...
 
Duplica: Okay... (Tears open the present) Wow! (Pulls out a journal with 'Duplica' written on it in gold lettering) Thanks, Misty! I've wanted to keep a journal but I keep forgetting to buy one of these things...
 
Misty: Glad ya like it!
 
Duplica: (Grabbing the next present) This one's from Ash... (Opens the present and looks inside the box) Ash... (Pulls out a vest, cap, and gloves out of the box)... this is great! Where'd you get these?
 
Ash: I ordered them online. Since you're a Pokemon trainer, I thought that you'd like the official gear...
 
Duplica: Thank you so much, Ash!
 
Brock stares at Duplica and tries to picture in his head what she would look like with the cap, vest, and gloves on. Misty notices that Brock is spaced out and decides to take advantage of the situation...
 
Misty: (Nudging Brock with her elbow) Hey lover boy, wake up!
 
Brock: (Coming back to reality) Huh?
 
Duplica giggles as she watches Brock's reaction. She reaches for the last present on the table, which is a small box...
 
Duplica: This one must be from Brock...
 
Brock: (Slightly blushing) Umm, yeah...
 
Brock anxiously watches as Duplica takes off the wrapping and opens the box underneath. She gasps as soon as her eyes get a glimpse of what's inside...
 
Duplica: (Slightly blushing) Brock...
 
Delia: What did he get you?
 
Duplica slowly reaches into the box and pulls out a gold necklace. The words "To my true love, Duplica" are inscribed into the band...
 
Ash and Misty look at the necklace in awe... Prof. Oak and Delia know that Brock is without a doubt in love with Duplica, they both have similar thoughts... `You don't give that kind of gift frivolously...'
 
Misty: Duplica, put it on. Let's see how it looks on you...
 
Duplica: Okay... (Puts the necklace around her neck) What do you think?
 
Misty & Ash: Very nice!
 
Prof. Oak & Delia: Looks good...
 
Brock: (Dreamily) You look beautiful...
 
Duplica gives Brock a warm hug, then the party continues. Everyone begins to swap stories and the party continues on until late in the night. Around midnight, there is a loud knocking at the door...
 
Delia: (To herself) I wonder who that could be... (Walks over to the door, opens it, and peers outside)
 
Gary Oak: Hi... is my grandpa here?
 
Delia: Come on in, Gary. He's in the kitchen...
 
Delia and Gary head into the kitchen where everyone is gathered...
 
Prof. Oak: Oh, it's you, Gary...
 
Ash: (Doing a double take) Gary?
 
Gary: (Turning to look at Ash) Long time no see, Ash. What have you been up to lately?
 
Ash: I got my 8th badge and I'm training for the Johto Championships...
 
Gary: Well, that's good. I'm still traveling and training; Umbreon and I are almost ready to start collecting badges. (Turning to Prof. Oak) I was looking for you... the guards at the house said you would be here...
 
Prof. Oak: Yeah, I've been here all evening. I was just about to head out, anyways. (Looks at Delia) Thanks for inviting me and for all of the food, it's been fun.
 
Delia: Anytime, professor...
 
Prof. Oak stands up and exchanges goodbyes with everyone present, then heads back to his house with Gary. Delia quickly cleans up the house and everyone else crashes for the night. The next day, Brock, Ash, Misty, and Duplica stop by Professor Oak's place and get their Pokemon back. The next few weeks are like normal in Pallet Town, Ash and company do some training and think about what their next move is and Ash's Totodile evolves into a Croconaw. Christmas and New Years soon come and go and it's time for Ash and his friends to head on out. They stop over at Prof. Oak's place and get some supplies before coming back to Ash's house, where Delia is seeing them off...
 
Delia: Good luck and you guys be careful, okay? I packed some sandwiches for you guys in case you get hungry...
 
Ash: Thanks mom. (Gives his mom a hug) I'll see yah again soon...
 
Delia: Take care, honey. You guys help my son out, all right...
 
Misty: Don't worry, I'll make sure he does well and stays out of trouble... (Nudges Ash in the ribs)
 
Duplica: Thanks for everything!
 
Brock: Thanks for letting us stay at your place!
 
Delia: No problem, you guys are welcome anytime...
 
Ash: Bye!
 
Ash and company wave to Delia as they walk way from the house and begin their journey over to the Johto region. They head over to the dock, take a ship over to New Bark Town, and visit briefly with Prof. Elm, who tells them about some suspicious happenings in Northern Johto. After a heated discussion about what to do next, they come to an agreement- head up to Northern Johto and see what's going on...
 
Time passes and the four travelers are on a winding, narrow road in Northern Johto. They are making their way towards an area of possible Team Rocket activity. After a long day of travel, they stop and set up camp in a small glade of lush evergreen trees...
 
Ash: (Setting up a tent) (Sniffing the air) Wow, it sure smells good over here!
 
Misty: Yeah. That's why I love being out in the woods and camping...
 
Brock: (Looking around) Sure is quiet around here... but we have to keep an eye out. Team Rocket could be anywhere...
 
Duplica: That's right, Brock.
 
A few minutes later, both tents are set up. Ash and Misty gather firewood while Brock and Duplica guard the campsite. Time passes and it's soon dusk. Brock makes a campfire and cooks dinner...
 
Misty: (Takes out a CD) Hey Ash, do you know what's on this disc? I just found it in my backpack and it says "Karaoke"...
 
Ash: Hmm... I don't know, Misty. Do you know, Brock?
 
Brock: (Scratches his chin) Nope.
 
Duplica: Why don't you play it and we'll see what it is. It'll give us something to listen to while Brock finishes the beef stew.
 
Misty: Okay... (Digs her Pokedex out of her backpack and puts the CD inside of it. Instead of playing music, it projects an image onto the nearby trees...)
 
Brock: Looks like a movie... (Watches carefully as some images start to appear) (Urgently) Wait!
 
Ash: (Realizing what's on the disc, pausing the playback) Now I remember what this is, it's...
 
Misty: (Continuing Ash's line) ...Brock singing this song he made up last year...
 
Brock: (Sighs aloud) Come on, guys, I don't want to watch this again...
 
Duplica: (Very curious) Brock, why don't you want to watch the movie?
 
Brock: (Nervously) Ummm... umm... well...
 
Duplica: (Sitting next to Brock) Come on, I wanna see what it is...
 
Brock: (Sighs) All right... but you have to promise not to get mad, okay?
 
Duplica: Okay, I promise. Now, this is you singing a song that you made, right?
 
Brock: Um, yeah...
 
Misty: Go ahead, Ash...
 
Ash presses play and all of them watch Brock singing the song "Two Perfect Girls" from the Totally Pokemon CD, which is copyright of Koch Records, year 2000...
 
Author Note: I highly recommend that you listen to the song or get it, so you know why Brock was so hesitant to let Duplica see it. For those who don't have the song handy, I will type in the lyrics below- but it's still a lot better to listen the song itself...
 
"Two Perfect Girls" lyrics:
 
A one woman man's what I want to be
Stay by her side so faithfully
I would if I could but it's just no good
'Cause there's two perfect girls for me
 
Chorus:
Jenny, oh Jenny
Joy, oh Joy
A one woman man's what I want to be
But there's two perfect girls for me
 
Verse 1:
Officer Jenny, oh can't you see
You can lock me up and
Throw away the key
Oh Jenny, if loving you's a crime
Then sentence me now and I'll do my time
My uniformed beauty is simply the best
She's got my heart under house arrest
But before that cop names me her boy
I'm head over heels
I'm head over heels
For a nurse named Joy
 
Repeat chorus
 
Verse 2:
Nurse Joy
Won't you please cure me
Of this bad disease
Joy, the diagnosis is bleak
When I see your face, my knees get weak
I'm burning up, I got the fever
She's my perfect nurse
And I'd never leave her
Her bedside manner has
Healed so many
So why'm I so in love
With Officer Jenny
 
Repeat Chorus
 
Verse 3:
I've tried and I've tried
And I've searched way deep inside
From these two I won't choose
I can't stand the bad news
'Bout the name of the girl that
I'm gonna lose
 
This can't go on- enough is enough
I've gotta pick one- no matter
How tough
It's time for eeny, meeny, miny, mo
Wait a second- what's her name
I just gotta know
 
Repeat chorus
 
But there's one- no two- no three
Four, five, six, seven, so many
Perfect girls for me
 
The song comes to a close, and the movie screen shuts down. Misty and Ash start clapping, while Brock slowly turns around to look at Duplica...
 
Ash: That was pretty good, Brock... don't know why you're so embarrassed...
 
Misty: Yeah...
 
Brock: (Looking at Duplica) W... what did you think?
 
Duplica: (With a smile on her face) That was pretty good, Brock... and funny too. You wrote that song?
 
Brock: Yeah...
 
Duplica: (Wrapping an arm around Brock and pulling him next to her) I guess you found your one woman... right?
 
Brock: (Blushing) Yeah, I did... (Gently takes Duplica's hand and gives it a loving squeeze)
 
Misty & Ash: Awwww!
 
Brock: (Loudly) Knock it off, guys!
 
Ash: (Waving his hand) We're just kidding with yah, Brock. (Looks intently at the pot of stew that is over the fire) So... when do we eat?
 
Brock: (Tasting the stew) All done! Everyone get out your bowls and let's eat!
 
Everyone chows down on Brock's delicious stew. The campfire roars for several hours as Ash, Misty, Brock, and Duplica talk amongst themselves. The evening then draws to a close and all four of them go to sleep. The next morning, they pack up the tents and press forward on the road. The weather begins to get colder as they approach the mountain range, and the wind starts to pick up. They have not seen anyone for hours...
 
Ash: I wonder where everyone is? We haven't seen anyone all day...
 
Misty: We're in a remote region, Ash. This road probably isn't used that much.
 
Brock: Misty is probably right, let's keep going...
 
Brock takes a few more steps before the ground suddenly collapses below him. Letting out a yell, he struggles to keep his grip on the edge of the newly formed hole in the ground...
 
Duplica: (Turning around) BROCK!
 
Brock: Help!
 
Ash, Misty, and Duplica come running over to Brock and slowly pull him away from pit. All four sit on the ground near the hole and breath a sigh of relief...
 
Brock: Whew! That was close! Thanks guys!
 
Duplica: (Concerned) Are you okay?
 
Brock: Yeah, I think so. (Looks over at the pit) I wonder why that was in the middle of the road?
 
Duplica: (Leaning her body on Brock) I don't know... it looks like some kinda trap to me...
 
Misty: It could be, which could mean that we're getting close to something here! Team Rocket may be nearby- making a trap like this is something they do all of the time.
 
Ash: They must be nearby!
 
A drowsy Pikachu awakens in Ash's backpack and slowly walks over to Ash...
 
Ash: Hungry Pikachu?
 
Pikachu: PIKA-PI!
 
Ash: Let's take a break for a few minutes. I have to feed Pikachu, anyway.
 
Brock: Yeah, that's a good idea.
 
Ash takes off his backpack and opens up one of the zippers. He then gets a container out of the backpack and opens it up. Pikachu immediately begins to eat, very much enjoying the Poke-chow that was in it...
 
A cool wind blows through the area a few moments' later, sending chills down everyone's spines...
 
Misty: It's starting to get cold- I'm glad we all packed jackets and cold weather gear.
 
A rustling in nearby bushes, just down the road, ends all conversation. All four travelers and Pikachu look at the bushes with a wary eye...
 
Ash: (In a whisper) I think something is over there...
 
Pikachu's cheeks begin to spark and crackle as it stares at the bushes. Duplica silently reaches for a Pokeball on her belt and detaches it, waiting for the intruder to show himself or herself...
 
The next events happen in rapid succession. A Team Rocket guard jumps out of the bushes and launches a net at the group before anyone can react. Pikachu, Ash, and Misty are caught in the net. Pikachu tries to shock the guard but is unable to do so- the net is made out of rubber...
 
Brock: (Angry) Why you... (Grabs a Pokeball off of his belt and throws it) I choose you, Onix!
 
Duplica: Go Oddish! (Throws her Pokeball and Oddish pops out)
 
Team Rocket Agent: Hah! You won't be able to stop me with those... (Throws out a pokeball) Go, Tyranitar!
 
A large Tyranitar appears in front of Brock and Duplica. Brock can tell in must be at Level 60 or higher, just by the size of the Pokemon.
 
Brock: Onix, bind it!
 
Duplica: Stun spore attack!
 
Team Rocket Agent: Tyranitar, use your Hyper Beam attack!
 
Onix lunges for Tyranitar and starts to bind it. Tyranitar continues to power up its hyper beam attack as Onix tightens its grip. Oddish comes running up and starts to hop towards the Tyranitar...
 
A blinding flash of light blinds everyone in the area as Tyranitar shoots a Hyper Beam down towards the ground, hitting Onix and also detonating a stun mine that was planted in the road nearby...
 
Brock: Onix!
 
Team Rocket Agent: HAHA! Your Onix cannot stop me! Tackle attack, Tyranitar!
 
The massive Tyranitar charges and slams into the stunned Onix, sending him into a grove of nearby spruce trees. Oddish recovers, stands up, and then races towards Tyranitar...
 
Team Rocket Agent: (Noticing the Oddish) Get that pipsqueak!
 
Duplica: Oddish, jump up on it's head and use your Stun Spore attack!
 
Oddish: ODDISH!
 
Tyranitar reaches out to grab Oddish and almost grabs it as it makes a solid hop and lands on Tyranitar's head. Tyranitar begins to thrash around in an attempt to grab the Oddish that is on its head...
 
Duplica: Now!
 
Oddish begins to use its Stun Spore attack, causing Tyranitar to get drowsy. It begins to wobble around in a drunken fashion...
 
Team Rocket Agent: NO!
 
The agent begins to reach for another Pokeball when some of the stun spores are blown over to his position by the wind. Both Tyranitar and the agent are soon sound asleep.
 
Ash: Good job, Duplica!
 
Brock: (Giving Duplica a warm, close hug) Good job.
 
Duplica: (Blushing) Thanks, Brock, Ash.
 
Misty: Um... could you get us out of here?
 
Brock has a sweat drop and then walks over to the net. He gets a small knife from his backpack and then starts cutting the net. The netting is soon cut and Ash, Misty, and Pikachu quickly get out. Brock recalls Onix to its Pokeball and Duplica recalls Oddish, giving it a quick hug and words of praise before returning it to its Pokeball. Ash, Misty, Brock, and Duplica look at the sleeping agent and Tyranitar and think about what to do next...
 
Brock: Well, guessing by all the traps around here, we must be close to something. That guard must be watching over something in the area- Team Rocket must have a base around here!
 
Ash: I'm with Brock; they're around here somewhere...
 
Misty: What should we do with the guard and the Tyranitar? If we leave them out here, someone might notice and know that something's wrong.
 
Duplica: Why don't we put the guard back in the bushes where he came from? I don't know what we should do with that Tyranitar.
 
Brock: Why don't we move it into the pit? You could only see it if you went right up to the edge.
 
Brock has Onix move Tyranitar into the pit and then recalls it. Very carefully, Ash and company move on down the road. After another hour of careful and slow travel, they stop and hide in some nearby bushes. A group of guards walk across the road 250 yards ahead of them, pausing in the middle of the road. They suddenly go rigid and just stand there...
 
Ash: (Whispering) What are they doing?
 
Misty: (Quietly) I think they must be guarding something... (Points to a small building, barely visible through the brush) Maybe that building over there is a base of some sort. We could have found them!
 
Brock: (Softly) How are we going to get over there without being seen?
 
Duplica: Why don't we circle around through the forest? It looks like the road ends at that building and the forest nearly surrounds it. We could sneak closer by going around.
 
Ash: Sounds good to me, everyone agree?
 
Misty: Sure, let's do it!
 
Ash and company make there way slowly and silently through the forest. Five minutes into their journey, they stop and take cover. A small group of people is walking by, making their way from a grassy meadow to the east towards the building, which is to the west. They carry a bundle of wires, which are being unrolled off of a spool...
 
Brock: Wonder what that's for?
 
Ash: Dunno.
 
Duplica: We should check it out; they could be planning to blow up something with those wires.
 
Misty: Yeah, let's go see where they lead...
 
Brock: Let's wait a few minutes until we're sure that those people are gone...
 
As the four travelers wait in the silence, the Team Rocket technicians that had been working in the nearby meadow reach the command building and hook up the wires to a box on the outside. Inside, a test is about to begin...
 
To be continued in Chapter 11: New Extremes